CONSVLES
    PROCVLVS ANTONIVS ARCADIVS/PVBLIVS HERRENIVS BARBA

PRAETOR
    ?

QVAESTOR
    MARCVS

TRIBVNVS PLEBIS
    LVCIVS OVIDIVS MARO

OOC: i don't really know the full names of your character, wode (no updated names in the sigs or background stories, so please state it here)
    Last edited by Ozy; January 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Poplicola/Barba

ooc: reposted Poplicola's last report on the war in the previous term.

A messenger arrived bearing a letter:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Senators, I have destroyed the Epeirote army within our borders. 2,180 Romans were lost in the battle. 10670 Epeirotes were also killed. I have replaced 1,220 of our losses with a reserve cohort from Ambracia and am continuing my advance. We reached the city yesterday and have begun regular approaches. I doubt the city will last long under this kind of pressure with a small garrison.

Another letter containing a report on the battle was also enclosed:

The enemy once again found a rocky hill to place their army on. I formed up our legions into the same three-line formation as before to exert more power into the enemy phalangites and advanced. Immediately something unexpected happened. The enemy hoplites engaged our skirmishers in melee combat and routed them after inflicting 40% casualties.

Seeing this, I sent all the legions forward as fast as possible to catch the enemy out of position. I regrouped the cavalry behind our legions and marched them at the double-quick to the hills on the left flank to cut off the enemy's escape. All the infantry were ordered to release all of their pila before advancing towards the enemy.

Once that occurred. Once again the commander of the sixth legion, Tiberius Varro, advanced his legion up the right flank on his own initiative and took the high ground to the enemy rear and cut off all hope of their escape and his legion was subjected to the full force of the enemy as 3/4 of their phalanx was sent to crush his small understrength force.

His legion took the most casualties in the infantry but they held the ground long enough to complete an encirclement of the enemy army. It was then that I threw the Aetolian cavalry in to support his legion on the hill by hitting the phalangites in the rear.

Soon after, the enemy started to buckle under the continual pressure from all sides and began to break. the cavalry ordered to pursue.

The following is an overview on ours and the enemies forces and a more detailed assessment of the dead and supposed enemy dead from first-hand account from the soldiers:

Last edited by Ozy; January 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Arcadius/Barba

It is good to see that our Consul has been successful in his campaign. However, one thing troubles me. I have heard rumors of Epirote diplomats approaching the Consul, of him refusing to accept their proposals to end the war, and killing the messengers on sight. I have no love for the Epirotes, but certainly such actions make Rome seem as a brutal warriors, rather than the rightful soldiers we have in our lines!

Wasn't Poplicola advocating for a diplomatic solution to our conflict just before he left to Epirus? Has the power of being the sole Consul for a year made him forget that WE, the Senate, have the right to choose which peace agreements are to be accepted or declined? Not only has he taken the liberty to make such decisions, but he did not even bother to inform us about it! Senators, actions like that fit more in the profile of a King than that of a Consul, and for that reason we must bring Poplicola back, before his actions go any further!

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Barba, I suggest that your provide proof of this accusation before you ask us to vote on it. This is a serious accusation, and so needs definite proof.

I ask that the Quaestor prepares his report, and that he pays particular attention to the plague effected areas. This is a serious problem, even more so than that of the Epirotes, and must be dealt with. Things must be put in place to stop such a large loss of life from happening again.

There also needs to be a plan on how to deal with the recently conquered areas of Greece, as well as the possibility of our lands there extending northward to the last Epirote city. I would like to reiterate the Senate's support for the war in Greece, and make clear that the Epirote threat must be done away with.

It is my first term as Consul, hopefully not my last, and I would like to see a variety of things achieved in that time. Laws must be passed to make clear the reponsibility of each magistrate, laws which make the Senate run smoother and more efficiently, and of making sure of our martial strength.

On that first point, I propose the following reformation to the office of Quaestor:

Lex Arcadia

As well as carrying on duties previously entrusted to the office, the Quaestor shall have these additional duties

• The Quaestor shall be in charge of compiling and delivering a report on the military strength of the armed forces, including the Legions and navy.
    • The Quaestor shall specify the amount of money to be spent on training and bringing up to strength new and old units of the army.
    • A Quaestor may appoint an Aedile to carry out this work on his behalf.
    • The position of Aedile shall be deemed a Junior Magistracy, meaning that it can be held with another office.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

I will provide them, Consul. About your proposals, I think it is important to point out that as of now the war with Dyrrhiuachium is not over. Poplicola's last report speaks of only some encounters, Dyrrhiachium still stands unconquered, as do its lands. Poplicola is no longer Consul, and must return so that a current Consul finishes his war.

As for your new Law for the Quaestor's job, I think it could be applied. Also, the creation of an aedile seems like a sound way to make sure the Quaestor is not overwhelmed by his tasks. However, I do not know if the house today has the necessary amount of men for this task.

Sounds to me, Barba, that you only wish to remove Poplicola in favor of putting yourself at the forefront of the campaign. Perhaps you'd like the same glory that had befallen Celsus in the east? After all, your adventures in Italy could hardly be described as successful now could it? Do you now move to reap the benefits of conquering new lands? Ambition can be a powerful motivator of men, but it can also corrupt.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Citizen

I submit to this house the notion that in light of his successes during his time in command, Poplicola be given Pro-Consular Imperium, to be held for and until the capture of Dhyrrachium and the destruction of any free Epirote state.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Lex Arcadia is unnecessary; these responsibilities are those of the Consul.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I'm afraid I won't be needing such powers Arcadius.

Lucius walked slowly but smoothly into the curia.He wore civilian's clothing over his senate robes and took it off as he entered. Definitely a more dramatic entrance than he's usually used to but the recent talk of him acting as though he was a king had him worried.

The Epeirotes are defeated consuls, I just came to tell you that the armies are back in the senate's capable hands. Well, actually, that would be a lie if I told you that was all I came for, I also came to tell you of the position of each unit before I go back to my villa and wash up and take a much needed nap.

I have some sketches of the positions made by one of my centurions the day after the battle to show where each unit will be making camp for the time being if the senate wishes it heard.

First, a report on Dhyrrachium was managed. The fighting was rather simple, so I won't pretty it up very much. We hit the front gates with a battering ram and the city fell within an hour.

Secondly, I relocated much of the populace and seized their property, they shouldn't be too much trouble to control now.

The plague has apparently reduced in the past couple of months, but the first case of plague appeared when our diplomat to the Epeirotes, Caius Flaminius, died of it soon before we took the city.

Here is the state of Dhyrrachium for the Quaestor's benefit:

The garisson is the 1st Legion which performed above and beyond the call of duty during the main battle on par with the 6th.

The main body of the consular army is back in its original starting position from where I reorganized our forces when the conflict began.

Also, our first allied Greek legion is on the verge of completing its training and I've installed a governor in Appolonia to speed up the execution of the senate's will in Greece from now on if you choose to keep him there. He has marginal power.

As a last proposal, I ask that the former commander of the 6th Legion, Tiberius Varro, be given a chance to enter the senate via majority vote should he report for this sacred duty.

When Lucius was finished talking he knew he would be suddenly barraged with questions.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Barba only looked at Pallas with a completely serious expression, and before he could reply to his remarks, Poplicola's arrival distracted his attention.

"Good job, Senator. You have conquered the lands of our enemy, bringing victory once more to our nation. I have but one question to you, colleague."

Barba walked closer to Poplicola, looking at him carefully, his hands held on his back.

"During your campaign, your overwhelming success must have clearly shown the enemy the large mistake they made...perhaps even motivated them to seek a way to save themselves before you were at their walls. Did the Epirotes ever attempt to negotiate a peace agreement with you, Senator?"

A total of 30 times consul. I saw no need to inform the senate about so trivial a matter as they all said the same thing as the first one that this body so denied and called for war against them. Each time they wished for a white peace and I would tell them again and again that nothing but complete and unconditional surrender would be accepted.

If I would also enlighten you, they completely refused to see any of our diplomats when I arrived. I extended that same "courtesy" to them, they saw the errors of their ways too late to avoid the conclusion in which they deserved no white peace as a broken enemy. If they had in fact accepted our diplomat in the first place this might have been resolved in a less violent fashion.

If I recall correctly, I also informed the senate that if I had no word by the time the army was done resting the month after the major battle that I would in fact march on the city and assault it. I received no such word for stopping the inevitable punishment of these people for the slaughter of the Sarmatian auxiliaries.

So, after some time did you just get bored and decided murder diplomats? I honestly doubt that they would have been foolish enough to send 30 diplomats all with the same completely ridiculous request. Doesn't make sense. Did you even bother to listen to the last ones, or did you just order their heads to be chopped off on sight? Senator, killing diplomats is nothing but the act of a barbarian, not the way a Roman Consul should behave! You are not supposed to be a conqueror to those people, not seeing ahead in time, rather, you ought to make our subjects work with us! Acting like you did will only decrease the number of our few allies in the East!

You have the nerve to tell me this? Those people taunt us with warfare, break our peace, violate our borders and then ask for peace while they recruit soldiers to aid in their defense and we just stand by and talk with every single diplomat they send?

I talked with each and every one, not for long but I tried to remain diplomatic. Each one offered a white peace, or a small concession of land. None of which would bring peace to the region. The last diplomat told me that if I didn't accept the terms my army would be destroyed. I could not allow him to insult the position of consul let alone Rome herself or her armies in that manner. I had him killed and sent back to the enemy camp.

If you call these acts of a barbarian, perhaps you should reconsider your own position consul.

And what would you propose we do, Barba? There is no sitting praetor to preside over the case of Poplicola, no magistrate who has the power to judge him before the people and the gods. But even if there is, how would he judge him? Would Poplicola be found guilty of endangering foreign relations with a nation already at war with us or would he be acquitted for his actions against an unwavering enemy?

I will head the hearing if the Senate so wills it, but be warned, either decision will only badly fracture our republic.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Citizen

There is no crime here. The Consul did what was needed in times of war. He had Imperium over those matters, and he dealt with them in a harsh, but legal, way.

Let us now consider other matters. The status of the Greek territory under our control; I propose that these be organised into an overseas province, governed by a Pro-Consul. This method would grant us the best protection of our lands, as well as being better able to harness and exploit the natural resources of that country.

I would also like to hear from last years Consul on how my military plan is being enacted. If it was overlooked, there was a war to fight after all, it best be heard now, so that it can be put into force as soon as possible.
    Patron of Lysimachus

The proposed legions were formed during my time in Greece and Southern Italy. Some forces may have to be disbanded to make it match the law perfectly as I needed reserves in case anything went wrong.

"I do not wish him to be prosecuted. He has done nothing illegal, as my colleague has said. I would only like more of you to want a peaceful resolution to our future conflicts with our enemies, rather than going waving a sword. Then maybe we could turn this hostile behaviour in something more friendly. I will only say this: I do not believe that 30 times they sent a diplomat to demand the same thing after we marched on their land. As I said before, it doesn't make sense. Now, if someone multiplied the real figure by ten to fulfill his agenda...that's a different matter."

Barba paused, he looked at Poplicola with mistrust. Then turned to the rest of the House.

"Senators, I cannot in good heart support the measure to make those lands into a different sector of our domains, as I believe that they should still remain under the Senate's direct authority. I see no point to appoint a Propraetor when its such a small region, only 3 major towns, only one actually worthy of being called a city. It's a region that needs not a senator but a mere legate to manage. If war arises, a Consul could quickly get there within weeks.

As for the legions to be recruited, I believe the Consul speaks of the Lex Antonia

The number of standing legions shall be increased to 6.
    These legions shall be organised into three Consular armies. One serving the Northern cities, with it's base in Arretium. One serving the Southern cities, with it's base in Cannae. The third serving the Greek cities, with it's base in Apollonia.
    A legion shall consist of one unit each of velites, hastati, principes, triarii and equites.

Rather than the Law proposed to defend Apollonia,

i) Consul Poplicola shall receive Imperium and sent to Epirus to arrange the Roman defense and counteroffense.
    ii) An election for a suffectus Consul shall begin immediately. Due to the lack of Consulars, all members of the Senate without an office will become eligible.
    iii) 2 Legions will be recruited for the war with Epirus. One in Southern Italy and the other in Epirus, and they shall serve under the Consul's command.
    iV) The Consul will be given 5000 denarii for additional troops, he may ask for an increase at any time.

Which is the one you seem to be speaking of, Poplicola."
    Last edited by Ozy; January 28, 2010 at 09:45 PM.

Our total legions exceed 6 at the moment Barba, there are two in the North, two in the South and 6 in Greece almost. I'm not stupid consul, as much as you want me to be.

Also, it's not uncommon for their diplomats to visit us 30 times during the course of a year in a desperate situation. That's probably what I should have said. There were 30 visits, not 30 diplomats. Sorry for the confusion.

ooc: yay, I have forged a new enemy with a conflict I started!
    ic:

"Oh, but not at all, my dear colleague." said Barba, looked straight at Poplicola's eyes. "I see your actions as those of a very clever man who wanted glory in conquest, and achieved it, no matter the means. So 30 times they met you to offer peace agreements? Funny, I had always believed that it was a Greek tradition to submit to the winner's peace terms after a decisive defeat...perhaps I was wrong. As for those legions, then I suggest they are displaced to their respective territories, we wouldn't want to get confused again, would we?"

He kept looking at Poplicola. He had meant all his words, and would not stop denouncing him.

"Well," he said, as he turned to the rest of his colleagues. "I think it is about time our Quaestor brings us his report. Where is he? Has he neglected his duties?"

ooc: What does this old hag want? A cookie? Bah, at his age he won't last much longer anyway, enemy status .

ic:

Truly? According to the Greeks I know they wouldn't come close to calling the Epeirotes anything short of barbarians, let alone this splinter faction of has-beens that call their people by that name. Also, Celsus' stratagem of appeasing the Epeirotes didn't seem to stop them from attacking us in the long term anyway did it? These people brought the sword and we threw it back at them with a force greater than they could have imagined.

As for the legions, place them where you wish, I am not consul any longer and my imperium has expired. I'd much rather take to my villa if there's nothing else before the quaestor arrives with his report?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast