Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GIMP Final

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Default GIMP Final

Final lesson!
    Hey ya gang. First off I would like to thank the students that have taken the time to follow this course and that have gotten this far. Both Lolgast and I sincerely hope that you have learned some things... There are a lot more things that we could teach and a lot of things we still don’t know how to do. Saying that. While this was a tremendous amount of work; and I enjoyed it. Maybe lolgast or I will do a really, really advanced course but, that is in the future so we shall see. So I hope you all had some fun, and learned a few things out of this.

So onto the final exam! Fire with a twist! For those of you that have seen my tutorial on it; you will have some inclination of what is involved. This lesson will consist of a multitude of parts 3 in total. All of which I am going to ask to see. Save often because there is nothing worse than losing your work. This should be very tedious but the more time you spend on some of the things the better. Don’t be afraid to redo some things. This is not a race to the finish line guys, try and do your best. I have attached my part one xcf to the bottom in case you would like to take a look at it.

Part One

PART ONE:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

STEP ONE:Create an Image to match your desktop. Set the resolution set to 300. Select the Text Tool and pick a font of your liking. Bolder fonts tend to be better suited for this effect but that doesn't mean you have to use bold. Setting the font colour to BLACK; type: Gimp advanced, your alias or something distinctive. Center the text vertically, roughly in the middle of the page; just above the horizontal center line.
    Select the Text Tool and pick a font of your liking. Bolder fonts tend to be better suited for this effect but that doesn't mean you have to use bold. Setting the font colour to BLACK; type: Gimp advanced, your alias or something distinctive. Center the text vertically, roughly in the middle of the page; just above the horizontal center line.

Alternately follow these steps.
    ·Discard text information (right click font layer) and autocrop layer (layer menu).
    ·Move the text to where you would like it horizontally.
    ·Center text in middle of page using the alignment tool.

STEP TWO: Duplicate the text layer once, and move to bottom of the layers and turn off. Select the original text layer. Right click on the layer to bring up the properties menu and select layer to Image size. Now go: Filters -> Alpha to Logo -> Glowing Hot. Set the effect size to 75-100.
    Once done select the text layer again and set the layer mode back to Normal. Duplicate the Glow layer and select the bottom of the two; go to the Filters menu -> Blur -> Motion Blur. Select Linear, set the length as you like (around 100-200). Set the Angle to 80-100 (90 is vertical). Now go Filters -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur. Set the Blur Radius to between 30 and 60.

STEP THREE: Now go to the Colour menu -> Colour Balance. Adjust the output to the colour you would like your fire to be. I used the following:
    ·Shadows +100, +20, -40
    ·Midtones +100, -25, -100
    ·Highlights +100, 0, -100

Duplicate the Non motion blurred glow layer and move to the bottom and turn off.

STEP FOUR: Select the non motioned glow layer; set the layer mode to Screen and, lower the opacity to below 50% (between 25-50).
    Next; selecting the smudge tool, pick a Fuzzy circle select the large brush change the scale to 2 or 2.50, click the Fade out button and set it to between 100 – 200 and you can also click apply jitter if you wish. Now smudge the image to make your rough large flames.

Now you could do the whole flame with the smudge tool but I would like you to use the following tool and only use the smudge after to fix any errors after using doing the next step.

STEP FIVE: Note: You may want to attempt this a few times until you get your desired results. Just click cancel and restart the I-warp.
    Filters -> Distort -> I-warp. Enlarge the new window by dragging a corner. Set the Deform mode to Swirl CCW (Counter Clockwise), set the radius to around 15-20. In the preview box click and move the cursor multiple times in a semi random way moving up and away in a zig zag like pattern keeping in mind that is distorting the image counter clockwise. Once done, click ok. Repeat the step again but this time use Swirl CW (Clockwise). Now use the smudge tool to fix any irregularities you don’t like.
    Duplicate the Main Glow layer and move the duplicate under the main glow layer. Now select motion blur; length around 50 and a vertical angle (90). Then do a Gaussian blur to it of around 50.

STEP SIX: Selecting the duplicated glow layer that you moved to the bottom; turn it on and move it above the Text; which should be at the very top. Duplicate it and put one below the text, set that layer to Dissolve and lower the opacity (real low) around 5. Set the glow layer that is above the text to Screen and lower the opacity to around just a touch around 90-95. Now still having the very top glow layer selected right click to create a layer mask. We are going to try and make a nice transition from text to flame. Select the blend tool colours black and white click the reverse button so that the gradient goes white to black not black to white. Stroke down holding shift. Your gradient range should be quite small starting from about 9/10th
    of the way from the top to 6/10.
    Next add a layer mask to the text this time the opposite direction.

Take a screen shot and post it and, save the drawing as an xcf file.

megaupload link

Now I don’t know about you but I have never seen fire without smoke. So we are going to manufacture some. This is very similar to Lolgast’s cloud tutorial so reference it if you need to. HERE

Part Two
    PART TWO:
    STEP ONE: Open your fire xcf. We will be adding some smoke to the flames. Create a new layer call it Smoke. And place it below all of your flaming text. Now we are going to create a rough model of your smoke; select a medium blue and a large circular brush. Keep in mind how smoke billows.
    STEP THREE: Selecting the smudge tool start smudging the perimeter of the cloud. Then Smudge both inwards and outwards making some coves. You should have something similar to this.
    STEP FOUR: Repeat the last step using a lighter shade of blue and make this cloud inside the base cloud. Smudge as per last.
    STEP FIVE: Now for some highlights. Selecting a light blue, create small arc like lines, try multiple points to create an arc instead of making solid lines. These will become the near portions of the cloud. Smudge again and repeat until you are happy with the results. The more detail you add and the more time you take the better the result.
    STEP SIX: Using the eraser tool, select a fuzzy circle brush with an opacity of around 20 - 30% and erase some small areas of the perimeter of the cloud. Once done go: Colours -> desaturate.
    STEP SEVEN: Go: Colours -> Curves and adjust the color curve to make the cloud dark grey or black. Turn on all your layers that you may have turned of (as you can see I did) Duplicate your smoke 2 times. On the bottom smoke layer go back to the curves tool and make it so it appears dark grey. After that appy a fairly large Gaussian Blur to it about 50. Loyer the opacity to around 80 and set it to screen. For the top smoke layer apply a small Gaussian about 10 lower the opacity to about 50 and set it to addition. Note: you may want to fine tune the layers with the smudge tool. or add a slight motion blur.

You should have something like this.

Take a screen shot for records and save the drawing as an xcf file.

Last edited by Subuatai de Bodemloze; October 31, 2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added part 2

Default Re: GIMP Final

Part 3 the party's over!

For the final steps which are real easy.. Download this brush set and install them. http://project-gimpbc.deviantart.com...ushes-62510796 After you have installed them open up your xcf file. And place them randomly in a new layer, try not to clutter the drawing but instead give it a good feel.

After you have something you like. Selecting the background layer (all black) and select the Blend tool Black and white. Start the gradient from the bottom of the flaming text and go down in a straight line. Now if you saved a spare copy of your original text layer great. If not then duplicate the one you have with the layer mask Right click and delete the layer mask. Go: Layers menu -> transform -> Flip Vertically. And then move it to under your flaming text. Then lower the opacity to around 10-30.

Next with the reflective text layer active auto crop the layer (layers menu) and then select the Perspective tool. Extend the bottom 2 corners as you like. Try to keep them in line.

Next create a new layer with a white BG and go Filters-> Renders-> Patterns ->Grid Set your grid spacing to what you want. I did 24x24. Next go-> colours->Colour to Alpha; select white if not already done so.

Repeat the perspective on the Grid and lower the opacity some. That’s it! You can do the same steps to other layers if you like but I will not require it.

My file Link
    Last edited by Subuatai de Bodemloze; February 04, 2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Lesson added

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Thanks for the reminder I need to make more lessons...

Herez mine :

Had some troubles in the end with the colours (to plain, so I tried to optimise it with whatever I could )

Mr. B do you have one of the layers on Dissolve? and did you do the 2 layer masks? Part two should be posted today.

Quote Originally Posted by Subuatai Zoon van de bodemloze View Post
    Mr. B do you have one of the layers on Dissolve? and did you do the 2 layer masks? Part two should be posted today.
    The layer masks didn't work properly. It always "blended" with me (went from white slowly on to grey and black), and the dissolve thing was pretty ugly, but I'll do it if you want

If you do it right then it should look like mine. Mine is not ugly. Are you rushing through the lesson again or are you doing more than looking at the pictures?

Sorry if I found it hard to understand, but I can't "force" myself to understand something that isn't my native language. And if my GIMP features are called different, how can I know what they are ? It's not like we learn at school what the "Ezelsoor" function is in English.

So if I think that "Dissolve" is "Oplossen" in Dutch, and I do that, and it looks horrible, I just delete that layer, cause I prefer making something I like over just brainlessly following the lesson without watching how the result looks like.

Here's how it looked :

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Oke tell me what is up with the blue glow layer? Because you don't mention it any where.

And here is mine.

Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; January 26, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Download my xcf file.
    @ Mr B. Yeah I understand that English isn't your native language. But sorry I don't speak dutch, lost that ability about 2 generations ago. But really thats no reason to be snotty. The Dissolve layer should be faint really low opacity it is meant to act like sparks. Remember this is only 1/3 of the lesson. I appreaciate that you don't want to just be a parrot and repeat ver batum what I a doing. And that is fine just so long as you can do it. keep trying to use the layer masks there really not that difficult to use.

@ Mr. B Just give us your .xcf file so we can look what your doing wrong.

TWC Son of the One and Only Abbews

Download my xcf file.
    @ Mr B. Yeah I understand that English isn't your native language. But sorry I don't speak dutch, lost that ability about 2 generations ago. But really thats no reason to be snotty. The Dissolve layer should be faint really low opacity it is meant to act like sparks. Remember this is only 1/3 of the lesson. I appreaciate that you don't want to just be a parrot and repeat ver batum what I a doing. And that is fine just so long as you can do it. keep trying to use the layer masks there really not that difficult to use.
    Ite, sorry if I came over as a whiner It's just that I had a hard day (Murphy kept irritating me), and I constantly have problems with the GIMP features and their names in Dutch.

Is it okay if I just use the box selection tool and paint it in, instead of using the gradient editor (for the layer masks) ?
    .xcf file :
    flame.xcf (2.1 MB)

You could if you want.. but you dont want hard edges.. so if you do it that way do a Gaussian and a motion blur on it.. I still think you should learn how the layer masks work though.

Ite, here it is :

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Blackadder View Post
    Ite, sorry if I came over as a whiner It's just that I had a hard day (Murphy kept irritating me), and I constantly have problems with the GIMP features and their names in Dutch.
    It is the same for me but i try to look them up on the gimp site (documentation) and if the teachers post a XCF file you should download it so you can see what they did as there proceedings get translated in to dutch when you open there file. It gives you a real good view on things.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Ok Mr. B. quick look at your file.. real quick mind you. Your image is so small.. 640 x400 (or close to that) no wonder yours looks odd. all my settings are for a large wallpaper size. if your screen resolution is that low then you need to scale your effects down by at least 1/2!

Ok Mr. B. quick look at your file.. real quick mind you. Your image is so small.. 640 x400 (or close to that) no wonder yours looks odd. all my settings are for a large wallpaper size. if your screen resolution is that low then you need to scale your effects down by at least 1/2!
    Woops

Will just restart methinks, and give it a closer look

Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

much nicer..

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast