Thread: Problems installing disc 2 of M2TW Gold

Default Problems installing disc 2 of M2TW Gold

Hello all.

I have the same problem as detailed on this thread - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=319778

The first disc installs fine, the second however doesn't. The setup.exe on disc 2 appears to be called blank.exe. Upon clicking it all that happens is a command window opens and then closes really quickly, and that's it.

The suggested solution on the above thread is "You can open the Kingdoms disc and runeach in order-update 2, update 3, then Kingdoms. the .exe is its folder" which appears to have worked for the OP.

However, when I tried to run update 2 I got a message saying version 1.03.000 is already installed and I would have to uninstall to return to an earlier version. Attempting to run update 3 I get a message saying that I already have 1.03.000. The blank.exe file still does nothing. I'm not sure what the "...then Kingdoms. the .exe is its folder" part of irishron's post means to be honest, I can't find an .exe for Kingdoms.

I've searched quite a bit on these and other forums and I'm completely stumped on what to do next. Any ideas?

I'm running Vista Home Premium and have disabled UAC.

Thanks.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Problems installing disc 2 of M2TW Gold

For Kingdoms, inside the Americas folder is a setup.exe. Try that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moth Bones View Post
    Hello all.

I have the same problem as detailed on this thread - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=319778

The first disc installs fine, the second however doesn't. The setup.exe on disc 2 appears to be called blank.exe. Upon clicking it all that happens is a command window opens and then closes really quickly, and that's it.

The suggested solution on the above thread is "You can open the Kingdoms disc and runeach in order-update 2, update 3, then Kingdoms. the .exe is its folder" which appears to have worked for the OP.

However, when I tried to run update 2 I got a message saying version 1.03.000 is already installed and I would have to uninstall to return to an earlier version. Attempting to run update 3 I get a message saying that I already have 1.03.000. The blank.exe file still does nothing. I'm not sure what the "...then Kingdoms. the .exe is its folder" part of irishron's post means to be honest, I can't find an .exe for Kingdoms.

I've searched quite a bit on these and other forums and I'm completely stumped on what to do next. Any ideas?

I'm running Vista Home Premium and have disabled UAC.

Thanks.
    Ok the installer for Gold is a bit arcane. What it is essentially is a batch installer that runs both the M2 and then Kingdoms installers in sequence. The problem is that there are two installers on the first disc and if you don't run the Gold installer then you're just installing M2.

What you can do is browse disc 2 and look for the Kingdoms installer and run it - that should install Kingdoms to your system. It will be labeled "setup" with a medieval-looking helmet for an icon. Good luck!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

I found all four had separate .exes, and I now have a separate shortcut for each campaign, with four 1GB or thereabouts folders in the 'mods ' folder in M2TW. I take it this is how it's supposed to be? They run OK to the title screen at least. Thanks for that.
    Last edited by Moth Bones; January 24, 2010 at 11:37 AM.

If you can play the campaigns, the installers worked. Have you tried them yet?

I just tried a quick battle on Crusades and then went to start a campaign and it all seems fine, despite accidentally applying the wrong patch 1.5 before finding the Gold one. PoleCat is right, 'arcane' is the word to use.

Glad it worked. My word would have been antiquated. Enjoy the game. Closed.