Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: XAI 4.0 released!

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Default Re: XAI 4.0 released!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    That is what i realy needed to hear my dear friend!
    Here you can see TGC map in early stage.
    The area may look small but the map is huge.
    In the map's small box you can see that sea covers half of the map.
    So a muslim fleet from Crete may be able to raid norther coasts of Aegean or Cyprus.
    A muslim fleet of Sicily may be able to raid north-north east coasts of Adriatic etc.
    We are going to add some naval invasions via events but we need the unexpected in order to show the era's real essence!
    I will be in tuch..
    Oh AnthoniusII

You are in for a great treat. We have a whole section of code devoted to naval invasion. The thing is we had to tone it down for this release, and for the typical mod. We can modify the Xcai to perform in whatever way you want with minimal scripting a higher degree of strategic planning. Of course the scripts are great for historical accuracy! The current build will only need tweeked in a few areas to give you what you are looking for. You see it is mostly about path-finding on the map (even water) to have an efficiant xcai. Mikll found that by making the sea all one type and all ships heavy the xcai has a much easier time getting across the oceans.

Our most recent breakthough is pathfinding on the battlefield, you really should try it. It is a great improvement in battle, over the last one and vanilla. We still have issues to deal with, but one by one we are knocking them out. Stone Forts are fabulous and work great on the map. But we still need to figure them out in battles, so they act like a castle for troop deployment.
    Last edited by xeryx; April 19, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Thanks mate...Great evolution here!
    Forthunatly we have time until XAI will be in the TGC mod.
    We (TGC/CBUR)work in reverse way . We are developing real realistic units and then we will add all the scripting. So we ahave time for any updates and improvements!
    An other question.
    Is it possible for an army to march in huge distances per turn?
    What i mean. As the map is huge it would be unrealistic if an army needs 12 years to reach central balkans from pelloponissos region or from south Italy to north one.
    We inteand to have 4 season years(4 turns per year) but the cover distances in vanilla way will still be short!
    We would like our players to be under suprise asaults from large distances (as posiible afcourse) to force them to use everything the game offers to avoid sudden attacks (border towers,spies,fortifications and most of all ambushes in stradegic points). From the other hand when a player will feel that his army can march a long distance will come across with all those factors above him self! AI ambushes will add realism to the mod and allow the players to feel how armies destroyed by non carefull generals of theirs!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

MiiKLL's Avatar Semisalis

Hello Anthoniusll...

To change/adjust the movement distances that can be traveled, look at the "descr_character.txt" file in the data folder. See below for an example of the area to look at...

starting_action_points 110 ; default value for all characters and pathfinding calculations
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    type named character
    actions moving_normal, moving_quickmarch, garrison, assault, attack, besiege, entrench, ambush, diplomacy, bribe, exchange, building_fort, building_watchtower
    wage_base 100
    starting_action_points 100

I have highlighted the areas that need to be adjusted. As you scholl down through the file you will see that you can do this for each type of character...ie: family member, captain, spy...ect.

Hope this helpful....

"Nothing is more destructive than the charge of artillery on a crowd."
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

One small note concerning movement points for land characters - usually it's not feasible to go beyond 160/180 movement range for armies/agents per turn. The AI will often bump own armies and agents into obstacles (e.g. neutral settlements/armies), and this often results in getting stuck there, still with movement points, until next turn (what happens mainly because the visibility range of unit from starting point doesn't cover in it's radius the avaible movement range, as the AI stack doesn't take into account what it's seeing as it's moving, until it bumps into something ... it seems not to avoid what it doesn't directly see either, even if it's a city which has been discovered before). Player can easily avoid that by not over-arching his movement orders. Overall map pathfinding has a lot to do with this as well, and there will be regions more prone to this than the others.

Another issue associated with too wide movement range for land characters is being able to steam-roll the enemy with artillery-equipped armies, completely disrupting the 'defend in depth' concept, recreating WW2 Blitzkrieg. This in itself would be fun if AI was equally good at it, however it's always one step behind the player, mainly when it comes to long-term invasion planning. Wider movement ranges aren't bad, but to the point - to the point where it's not easily abusable and still feels natural given the scope of the map.

Also note that higher-level roads bumping into mid-late game drastically increase the movement speed of characters on the land, and you need to have that in mind while changing movement ranges. Slightly-too-long travel in the early game is completely normal, from the gameplay point of view. This could be neatly reduced however, by limiting paved/highway roads to commerce/military/culture centers of their age, and leaving mud roads for everyone else, in turn allowing for slightly less-restrictive movement ranges for the units since the early game.

See how it goes with 150-160 range for armies and 170-180 for agents first, as going beyond that is likely to cause 'unintended' features, which you wouldn't like in your mod. As far as numerous improvements go, we still have to be reasonable and take AI capacity into mind, especially as far as the hardcoded basic decision patterns go. From the opposite perspective, too small ranges (like, <120) over wide map with loosely scattered settlements and hard-to-travel terrain create indecisive AI, which poorly expands and defends.

For that reason, middle range of values is best, however it needs to be tested with AI in mind and pathfinding in mind. By plugging in basic XCAI (without adjusting all of the values, which need balancing later) and creating a bunch of self-controlled AI hotseat games, you should see the pathfinding bottlenecks of the current map, as well as overall performance under most current movement ranges for land units. You will have to launch at least few 100+ turn campaigns, under different settings, to have a rough idea of what needs changing and in what direction.

The alternatives to boost just the AI are AI-only movement traits, which aren't that exceptionally bad or 'unfair' as they seem at first, a far as regular playing goes. However, they (in my opinion) aren't needed in a balanced campaign design.
    Last edited by Achilla; April 20, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Thank you guys for your answers...
    I will follow your advises!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Achilla, perhaps the sight range can be countered with a hidden trait AI Sight Range boost of +10 to counter act that effect? I had always thought that the AI could see the entire map to counter act the obvious advantages the human player has (adaption over script), but if this is not the case, maybe it's worth adding that to my AI's hidden traits - or maybe scaling it to the Command so we've not got strikes lead by a captain? +1 Sight, +5 Movement points?

In my particular mod, there's no advancement of settlements at all, so you start off with what you got, other than increasing the build tree of certain settlements to a certain level - so while you can get 3 Levels of Roads, you can only benefit in certain areas.
    Last edited by Vaz; April 21, 2010 at 05:49 AM.

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

That's perfectly possible, however better vision isn't of much help when the general can move a wide distance, and for some reason isn't stopping before a possible obstacle. AI in general uses a ton of spies as well, but for some reason it still gets stuck at cities, armies and forest ambushes. I think this would need some testing, to measure the improvement.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.

is this implementable to stainless steel?

No, it is not in a major SS or LOTW they have their own AI. but there are instructions if you want to implement it for your personal use.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Achilla, perhaps the sight range can be countered with a hidden trait AI Sight Range boost of +10 to counter act that effect? I had always thought that the AI could see the entire map to counter act the obvious advantages the human player has (adaption over script), but if this is not the case, maybe it's worth adding that to my AI's hidden traits - or maybe scaling it to the Command so we've not got strikes lead by a captain? +1 Sight, +5 Movement points?

In my particular mod, there's no advancement of settlements at all, so you start off with what you got, other than increasing the build tree of certain settlements to a certain level - so while you can get 3 Levels of Roads, you can only benefit in certain areas.
    Small update on the topic. It seems Taiji made a little research over his DLV submod, and claims that campaign script revealing the map for the AI before it moves it's armies helps the AI a great deal in more intelligent pathfinding (what is perfectly possible). You might want to PM him and share your experiences here.

Userpro's Avatar =RAE= HostedMod Creator

What u mean exactly with "... that campaign script revealing the map for the AI before it move ..."?
    Visit our TWC M2TW-Kingdoms Hosted Mods Forum for...

!!! RAE Development stopped --- read last Statement here !!!
    M2TW-Kingdoms Mod Creator REDEO AD EXORDIUM ( RAE )
    Progress: 95% internal final beta release - 85% official release
    RAE TWC-Wiki Eagle Standard interview ... RAE.net Homepage ... RAE TWZ-Germany
    Proudly Sega & Steam Boycotter since ETW! See why here or this petition
    Sorry for bad english here, there and in my tutorials > advanced horde invasion & hide/unhide stratmap-ui & Beginners modding

Innovative approach to improving AI faction's campaign pathfinding and planning potential (making them cheat the FoW by script)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219603

Tiro

How to exactly use this mod can some one please explain me as i am a newbie in this game....the mod part...Plus does this work with the Chivalry 2 - Sicilian Vespers mod????????

im gonna give it a try for SS 6.2 RR/RC, iŽd really love to see some naval invasions and stuff like that
    I guess its not savegame compatible?
    Is my current campaign dead when copy the files or can i maybe restore the originals and continue it later on?

@neha,
    just click on xeryx signature,or click http://www.mediafire.com/Xeryx,
    then go to the folder v4.0 and download those 4 files in it,
    open the rar and overrite the files in your mod,
    dont forget to backup the originals
    Last edited by algorath; April 23, 2010 at 05:27 AM.

In theory, I suppose you could continue with it, but the installation instructions for best use (i.e ensuring that the AI isn't taken from cache) tell you to delete map.rwm, which means your campaign could not be continued.

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

map.rwm...right wouldŽve forgot about that anyways
    Maybe backing it up aswell would do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    In theory, I suppose you could continue with it, but the installation instructions for best use (i.e ensuring that the AI isn't taken from cache) tell you to delete map.rwm, which means your campaign could not be continued.
    You can still continue a campaign and delete map.rwm a dozen times in the process, however some settings are plugged in directly to the campaign save file, and thus won't take effect unless you start a new campaign. The cache problem is mostly persistent in field battles.

@ algorath

Be sure to customize the files first, according to the instructions (advanced stuff documentation isn't complete yet). In the case of campaign AI, 'just plugging it there' is a bad idea.

You can restore your campaign, as long as you backup your original files. I would put them all in the same .rar and label it accordingly. Then, if you remove the Xai, delete the map.rwm files as well so you clear the cache.

Naval Invasion:
    In our's and Soul Firez's mod. We changed all the water to shallow, and all the ships to heavy. This improved the naval invasions drastically, Wow we just created a process..Permission will be needed for official use.

I finished the CAI diplomacy Balance section. I also gave a credit to Taiji for being the first one to figure out how to disable the diplomacy counter.
    Last edited by xeryx; April 23, 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post

Naval Invasion:
    In our's and Soul Firez's mod. We changed all the water to shallow, and all the ships to heavy. This improved the naval invasions drastically, Wow we just created a process..Permission will be needed for official use.
    Official request of use
    The "Great Conflicts 872-1071" mod officialy asks for permision of use
    of XAI IV and its develoments that will be added to the point that TGC'
    mod will be in that fase of development.

AnthoniusII
    TGC mod 1st member.

Thank you, can you PM it to me..I have a folder of permissions.

I look forward to it!!