Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: XAI 4.0 released!

Default Re: XAI 4.0 released!!

It would be amazing if a total conversion was made for MTW to become a new RTW ;D

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Yeah if pigs could fly we would probably do it too!! unfortunately the AI is locked, and I doubt we could do as much
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Default Re: The readme for XAI 4.0 (coming soon)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post
    I've just installed Soul Firez's mod and I'm really impressed with it. I'm posting my feedback here rather than on the mod thread, because it's more relevant for the AI than for anything else. I've chosen the mod for a chance to play with something closer to 4.0 rather than for its flavour.

I started a campaign with Sicily using the aggressive CAI version and I'm very pleased with it so far. The CAI seems to have finally been tweaked to the point where it no longer accepts treaties and deals without matching objectives. I have been unable to mindlessly swap map information and alliances the way I used to. I was also pleased to discover that relationships properly fluctuate according to my actions. Fighting alongside an ally improves my standing, while being allied to a neutral's enemy, gradually decreases it. This is particularly relevant as I have managed to get an increase in standing between me and a faction of a different religion (i.e. the Byzantines) just by holding an alliance and supporting them occasionally at sea. Naval invasions also seem to have been fixed as I have seen a number of overseas exploits by AI factions. There's still the odd chance of an irrational naval blockade, but if I have to choose between that and an AI unable to attack by sea, I'll pick the former.

As far as the BAI is concerned, I am also very happy with it. The AI is still no genius, and it will never be, since all you can do about it is fiddle around with thresholds. However, it has become very responsive, and that makes a huge difference. Now, not only do I have to plan a set up to trick the Computer, but I also have to assume that he will use sensible reserves, match troops in rock-paper-scissors fashion, bring in reinforcements and reform as necessary. The bottom line is that although I can still push him off balance, this is no longer enough. Now I have to ensure the availability of sufficient resources to check his reserves and to exploit a breakthrough, once it is achieved.

This was very well illustrated in the battle I have just fought, and refreshingly lost to the Egyptians. Once the Pope called a crusade, I immediately joined, and soon I was besieging Cairo with a 2/3 full stack. I had a decent mix of troops but lacked sufficient missile units. The city garrison was of an almost identical size, but had the typical oriental mix of missiles and mobility around anchors provided by spearmen and axemen. They sallied with a night attack after having brought another stack to back them up as reinforcement outside the city (so the AI has finally learned to coordinate its armies).

I tried to bait the AI by placing a unit of loosely spread peasant archers in my line, backed up by Norman knights, Italian spear militia and dismounted Norman knights ready to countercharge through the ranks as required. I had done so successfully before in this campaign, but I was in for a surprise. Apparently, the AI correctly assessed its superiority in missile troops, as well as the need to wait for the reinforcements to join up, so it just moved into skirmishing range and started to pepper my line to great effect. By now, they had control of the engagement and I was forced to do something. I advanced with a column of cavalry on my right flank. I kept a unit of crusader knights moving forward in order to screen my mounted sergeants which I intended to crash into the enemy archers as soon as I would have moved past them. The AI, however counter attacked with heavy cavalry, and a unit of Saracen spearmen. The key element here is not the reaction which, I believe, is built into the rock - paper - scissors logic of the hardcoded AI, but the fact that you tweaked the BAI to hold proper reserves, which it could deploy according to the said logic. Once the melee started, the Egyptian line advanced in support of the cavalry, and eventually took the bait in the middle, as the AI is still not, and probably will never be capable of understanding a false front. From then on the battle tipped my way. Countercharging through the loose archers started to erode the enemy, and I continuously pushed to exploit my temporary superiority in heavy cavalry on the flanks. However, the availability of AI reserves meant that it took a long while before anything decisive was accomplished. All this while, AI cavalry, although inferior in strength maneuvered, charged and countercharged protecting the desert archers and mamluks continuing to pepper my main battle line from the center rear of their formation. Once their right flank was defeated, I made quick work of their center, which had already been considerably weakened by my dismounted Norman knights and their supporting column. I was finally able to collapse their entire line and exploit the rout, but by the time this happened, I had already lost half my force, and their reinforcements were already in a position to engage.

As it turned out, these reinforcements contained an overwhelming force of heavy elite cavalry (ghulams, bodyguards and Khwarizmi cavalry). There was not enough strength left in my force to deal with this new onslaught. It's also worth mentioning that part of the reinforcements went directly into the city by a different gate in a sensible move to safeguard the main objective, while the heavy cavalry charged as fast as it could crashing into my flank without waiting to reform, or assemble a line, as the vanilla AI so often pointlessly does (if it can even be bothered to use the reinforcements and not freeze them at the edge of the map).

Bottom line for the BAI:
    - AI's decision to skirmish turned an intended soft center trap into a conventional double flanking battle with a supporting column assault in the center
    - proper use of reserves, reforming and charging delayed the flanking actions, preventing a decisive breakthrough and accentuating the effect of superiour supporting archery for the Egyptians
    - attrition caused on the flanks limited my ability to exploit the breakthrough, once achieved
    - rapid advance by reinforcing cavalry, to the point of losing contact with their infantry, allowed the AI to charge my army before being able to reform after routing the garrison. The beauty of it is that had I decided to reform earlier, I would have been totally unable to exploit the garrison's rout, and probably wouldn't have been able to defend successfully anyway.

All these, don't make the AI really smart. It still has no imagination, its moves are still shallow and still favour regiment level microing over meaningful deployment of whole sections of its army. However, they do make it challenging, and that in itself is a huge achievement from the team's part. I wouldn't ever contemplate campaigning without logistics against this AI. And with the CAI reluctance to ally, I'm actually a bit scared...

Thank you Tudor for the thorough review!! Maybe you can do another one for a siege!! After you have updated to the 4.0 version, sorry I didn't have time to post to you before.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Thanks. I'm gonna try it and if possible give you guys some feedback.

+rep.

tium's Avatar Miles

Hey, Just on question, would this work in SS?
    Check out the World Realism Thread : create and build up your own country! Join quick before its full

Lost count on the people but there is still a good amount of space
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The United Confederacy of Portugalia

Random flag spammer FTW!

Indefinitely Banned

Hi Xeryx, congratulations on the release of 4.0, it is good to see that you and your team are continuing your epic work. In the not too distant future, we hope to make the transition ourselves onto the Med II engine and I hope that you will allow us to use XAI as part of our build. It would be really cool if, when the time comes, you could even help us tweak it specifically for the Ancient Era.

In the meantime, I shall be trying out 4.0 in KGCM (it's a shame PDER 2 is not out - I'd have loved to try it in that).

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    Hi Xeryx, congratulations on the release of 4.0, it is good to see that you and your team are continuing your epic work. In the not too distant future, we hope to make the transition ourselves onto the Med II engine and I hope that you will allow us to use XAI as part of our build. It would be really cool if, when the time comes, you could even help us tweak it specifically for the Ancient Era.

In the meantime, I shall be trying out 4.0 in KGCM (it's a shame PDER 2 is not out - I'd have loved to try it in that).
    I miss the good old RTW days. RTW is so much easier to work on and has better tools.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    I miss the good old RTW days. RTW is so much easier to work on and has better tools.
    And well, the era was great fun too. Though I love the Medieval, Roman was even more fun.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean, but RTW has its limitations, which is why we shall probably be migrating after we've finished our current RTRVII project.

Thanks for all the good words guys!! It is good to see the community being active here again.

For you guys that don't have alot of experience with modding. I recommend you try Soul Firez's version of KGCM it is here It is called heroes Hordes and beyond.

Hey Tony!! When you get to that point of using AI let me know!

Protector's Avatar Senator

Cant download without creating an account.

When I click on the 3 files and then on download I get lost in all the advertising of mediafire site.

Anybody out there who can help me to get the download without creating an account. I just want it easy to download like all the other MTW2 mods.

Thx in advance.

I sure didn't see a bunch of advertisements, when i click on MF? let alone for them asking me to join. Maybe it took you to a different site?

I explained earlier, I chose MF because it is easy to organize on my end and has folders, it is a good site and I am sorry you are having issues. I suppose that it is going to have issues for some people.
    Me being able to have one centralized site saves me time, as I have little to spare. If it becomes a MAJOR issue then I will find another. But so far over 150 people have been able to download it fine and only 4 have not.

Maybe I can email them to you.
    Last edited by xeryx; April 18, 2010 at 03:09 PM.

tium's Avatar Miles

You just have to dowload one at a time.
    Check out the World Realism Thread : create and build up your own country! Join quick before its full

Lost count on the people but there is still a good amount of space
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The United Confederacy of Portugalia

Random flag spammer FTW!

When ever I click on download it goes to "Upgrade Media pro". I want to have a download not any upgrade.

And when I click on upgrade ... on next site I click on free user and it gives me 3 buttons to select:

1x upload file button button
    1x create account button
    1x video tour button

very annoying...

That is very odd, I can sign out and it takes me straight to my page.

http://www.mediafire.com/Xeryx

Try that. or do a search for XAI. Let me know what you find
    Click on the folder, don't download it, it will take you to all the files, just like in your windows.

You will get some pop ups, but block them. Just look on your desktop, for the download window! It is there
    Last edited by xeryx; April 18, 2010 at 03:28 PM.

Thx man,

the trick is not to click on the download button...very odd.

When I click on the folder itself it works ...

Thx again.

I do use and install RTW + MTW2 mods as long as I can think (about 8 years now) but to install all your files now to make your mod work correct seems to me very much complex ...

I just thought to paste your files into the MTW2/mods/ data folder as usual or even into some sub folder but .. hhuuh ... there is much more to do and to think about...

I also did never have to read so much read me.txt before instalation of few files...

That is because they are core files. The BAI file (XBAI, Formations, and Pathfinding) are all plug and play files. There are just drop into the data directory.

It is the XCAI that require more work and is done in steps.

For those of you who are interested, I have put up the first installment of Campaign AI balancing, for you to ponder. DO not start modding yet, as the lesson is not complete. I will work on it more this week, as my RL permits.

It can be found at the top of the forum, stickied here
    Last edited by xeryx; April 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    That would be awesome!! to include XAI!!

Vassalage; We definitely want to test that area further, your mod sounds perfect to test it's functionality. We were unable to put much time into testing that area in the CAI this go around. Vassals within vanilla never worked correctly, and they were never broken at the proper times. I made an entire section just for vassals! So with your mod, we could really refine it's operation. Through the XCAI though we can make it easier for the AI to get them. We were unable to test how the new rules work with vassals. So let's test it and get it working the way it 100% should be. That will be one of the last things to get properly working within the campaign AI. (not counting garrisons)

More on Ships: In our latest testbed, miikll made a great discovery of how water and ships work. If you look at some of the screenshots in this thread and this one you will see that the aztecs have expanded to Africa! and in my current campaign 100 turns later, they still have 3 cities there. So with these changes, the AI will reinforce its newly conquered areas. Which previously the AI would not do. We theorize that it is a pathfinging issue! between how the AI sees shallow and deep water with differend ship settings in the EDU. I am having Miikll work up a little FAQ about this.
    That is what i realy needed to hear my dear friend!
    Here you can see TGC map in early stage.
    The area may look small but the map is huge.
    In the map's small box you can see that sea covers half of the map.
    So a muslim fleet from Crete may be able to raid norther coasts of Aegean or Cyprus.
    A muslim fleet of Sicily may be able to raid north-north east coasts of Adriatic etc.
    We are going to add some naval invasions via events but we need the unexpected in order to show the era's real essence!
    I will be in tuch..
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; April 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.