Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: XAI 4.0 released!

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Icon14 XAI 4.0 released!

XAI 4.0 It's what Vanilla should have been!

Hi guys!! We are back!! We have all assembled for one great push to release our next version of XAI! I am sure that we will never be able to fix all the faults of this darn game, but to look at what we have fixed and improved from the original game! That is something that we are all very proud of. No Hype here, we will let your voices ring throughout the forums!

I have been very challenged and entertained and have continued playing a campaign beyond 100 turns. I hope that when you play 100 turns you feel the same way, and keep saying "just one more turn".

Obviously we have a test bed platform, That mod is KGCM 4.2 I highly recommend you download it and try it with either Soul Firez's mod or a custom version we will be releasing soon.

Here is a tidbit, of the things you will have to look forward to in the improved 4.0 version of XAI.

Campaign:XcAI
    + XcAI that has been re-built from scratch (from original inception), no vanilla rules, and includes levels of difficulty
    + Makes proper use of Forts, and Stone Forts. (yes, they are fun!)
    + Real Naval invasions! like they should be, with full reinforcements.
    + XcAI has rules for all nations and religions, diplomatic, strategic, and tactical decisions.
    + Break-through fix, for handling of ships Naval invasions .
    + Complete revamp of the Faction standings file to be virtually PnP
    + All FS rules rebalanced, and now based off of religion, not factions
    + Increased diplomatic bartering
    + Aggressive Defense of AI territories and besieging.
    + Improved multiple army attack and defense.
    + Many more epic battles!
    + Sure footed and devious expansion of factions.
    + AI picks invasion targets more careful.
    + Factions builds up! Much larger armies used for assaulting players, and defending territories.
    + Allies cooperation in attacks, for both AI and human.
    + Drastic reduction in steam rolling of opponents.
    + More realistic Diplomacy!
    + Greatest immersion factor yet!

Battle AI:XbAI
    + Open field battles will be more strategic, and more disciplined until the lines clash.
    + The AI opponent, will stay back and command his army,
    only in times of trouble will he save the day.
    + Battle AI properly handles all armies on the battlefield.
    You will see the AI work very hard to crush you.
    + XbAI is proactive and aggressive in both defense and offense.
    + Because of aggressiveness, we have pretty much eliminated the Plaza as a fight zone.
    + Path finding is working much better in siege environments!
    + Upped the Morale system a bit higher to keep high morale units fighting to the last man.
    + The only BAI that has equal loss ratios between the AI and Human (with proper EDU Balance of course)
    + The AI will regroup, feint, shift and counter your attacks.
    + Cavalry will be much better in avoiding sharp objects, and harassing the lines.
    + XbAI will properly siege attack the human, just as you would the AI!!!
    + Fixed the AI Sally out issues from Vanilla. It will fight you as it should.
    + Changed focus of sieges to walls and streets.
    + Resolved issues with conflicting orders.
    + Increased flanking maneuvers and fixed percentages.
    + Updated main missions, with correct parameters to perform in a more strategic manner.
    + Maintain, backwards compatibility for all versions of Med2.
    + Streamlined command structures to decrease the size of the file, well sort of.
    + CTD free experience (Should be standard!)
    + MUCH MORE
    - Due to time constraints, there are still a few minor issues with the XbAI that need ironed out.

+ Fixed some XcAI defensive issues and one bug, and changed the attack IPs.
    + Changed all random attacks to opportunistic and adjusted the percentages.

Final note and disclaimer!!
    Attention ALL modders that think they can use parts or portions of XAI code without permission and giving credit to this teams hard work, BEWARE! This includes concepts and ideas that we have implemented. It only takes a second to send a PM, to say hey do you mind if I use this? I usually say yes 98% of the time.

There are still many things we are learning about the BAI, and we working on many ideas. Hopefully if 10% work then we will make good advancements in the BAI. The CAI is very good, and you will be VERY pleased. It of course has room for improvement and expansion too. What is amazing is these tiny files, control so much and take so much time to really mod. So with that said, don't expect it to be perfect or the "Self aware AI", because that would be absurd. It is a healthy step forward, and with your support we will continue to mod, and make it better.

I hope CA will regain its love and respect for the modding community and embraces them again. XAI would never exist, if it were not for the changes they made in the 1.3 and above patches. Thank you for that CA. Now, we will finally have an AI worthy and challenging.

Your mileage will vary with XAI in different mods; it all depends on the extent the modders are willing to go. We will have a list of things that can help the game immensely. I hope that other modders will take the time to listen to the suggestions, as it can only increase the gamers’ fun factor. We spend tons of time testing the theories and code we try. We have essentially backwards engineered the code we have added to this game, with tons of trial and error. There is no such thing in this project, as made up code, or frivolous gimmicks. We are logically minded, and prove our work to each other, but we are human and do make mistakes

4.0 is for all of you!! I want you to enjoy it and have lots of fun, it is our gift to you the dedicated gamer and modder! Enough talk..do you really stick around for the rolling credits in a movie???

I started this project back in 2007. I soon realized, that this was too huge of a task to improve the game core files, by myself. Thorn (Naimad) and I started rebuilding the XcAI files, some from scratch. Team members have come and gone, but Argent Usher, Thorn and Miikll have stuck it out and have helped this team in countless ways. I would like to thank, Mad Mardigan for the great video he made for XbAI 3.4 Hopefully he wil do one for 4.0. I would like you all to welcome our newest member of the team Achilla!! Thank you also goes out to, Soul Firez for working with Miikll to balance and refine the 3.4 core. I would also like to thank our avid supporters for their contributions..Like Dearmad, and Pnutmaster. Our latest beta testers, Diadock, Puer, AndersB and Master Zuma. Plus the countless number of modders who have helped and given advice to the XAI team. It is people like Darth Vader, and Cavalry Commander are the ones that inspired this Sith team to push the envelope and make new rules for the AI. Also great thanks to all the modders who have used, and will use XAI!! Thanks for helping us make it better with your feedback.

Thank you for supporting us!
    Xeryx

Please Download and use all the files in the media fire folder, of XAI 4.xx Main
    The XBAI, Pathfinding, and Formations(optional depending on mod).
    Then the XCAI
    Just Click on my Signature Logo!! for downloads
    Last edited by xeryx; May 10, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Default Re: The readme for XAI 4.0 (coming soon)

and keep saying "just one more turn".
    just one more
    and after it another one)

+ Improved the consequences for a players actions
    + Increased diplomatic bartering
    + Smarter and more devious expansion
    + Better handling of naval invasions.
    + Aggressive protection of AI territories and besieging.
    + Many more epic battles!
    + Sure footed expansion of factions.
    + AI picks invasion targets more carefully.
    + Factions build up much larger armies, for assaulting players.
    + Allies cooperation in attacks for both AI and human.
    + Drastic reduction in steam rolling of opponents.
    wow
    just 1 q
    will ai make garrison in they settlements
    because in all mods with out laggy garrison script we can see 1-2 big garrisons and 1-2 units in all other settlements?

+ New code section for AI to properly siege attack the human, just as you would the AI!!!
    + Redesign and optimized sieges, much tougher!
    + Resolved issues with conflicting orders with improved many other things.
    + Updated main missions, with correct parameters to perform much more strategic
    + Redesigned unit and group structures for the edu, for better organization and unit handling.(please see Modding instruction)
    + Streamlined command structures to decrease the size of the file well sort of.
    + Streamlined many internal workings of the file.
    + MUCH MORE
    Very impressive work +rep

Goud luck!
    Last edited by xeryx; January 30, 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Under the patronage of Nakharar
    DM Multi modding project

garrison...oh the dreaded garrisons..if there was one thing CA should have fixed it was that. What you will find is many more guarding stacks! Plus they are responsive to invasion!! For now you might ask Dave Scarface for use of his garrison Script it is very good and not laggy.

In my campaign, as the Scotts I have had reliable relations with the Irish and at turn 90 beat the English. Now onto the French.

I will try and post some thumbnails of how my campaign has gone, if I have time.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

garrison...oh the dreaded garrisons..if there was one thing CA should have fixed it was that. What you will find is many more guarding stacks! Plus they are responsive to invasion!!
    Great news
    Under the patronage of Nakharar
    DM Multi modding project

diadok's Avatar Senator

Icon14 Re: The readme for XAI 4.0 (coming soon)

so great new... thanks all the team

we will post a procedure for installing and running XAI. It is important that the new guideline be followed if you want your games to play like ours do. They are not complicated; it will be just a few important steps.
    you're talking about the game cache ? i hope i understood well the "Step-by-step cache disabling procedure" of Achilla.
    i have re-install everything one week ago: will i need to re-install all, and doing the 3 first steps, each time for each mod ?

does it means that... AI could attack with sometimes 2 fullstacks ??? or at least 30 units ???
    it sound like a dream... i'm a dreamer, and i'm not the only one

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

Hey Diadok!

If you have already re-installed..you wont need to re-install a clean copy. Just follow the guidlines step by step..and it will be fine. They are as clear as they can be. Turning the cache off, and deleting the map.rwm file must be done, to insure the cache is dumped. Especially, if you want play with the cache as it does help especially in large battles.

We use the cache clearing procedure every time we boot the game. It is the only process that works.

as far as the campaigns go, it isn't just plug and play. Each mod needs to be balanced for best effect. We will be putting out guidelines and faqs. But you only have to do it once.

With the proper edu balance, the AI consistently will get 1:1 casualty rates. Being outnumbered 2:1 well you will see. If you can keep up with the AI and not pause the game you will be pretty dang awesome. But the AI will probably win. On the campaign, yes I have been attacks by larger armies outnumbering me and yes I lost. So, I now have an advanced network of Stone forts to protect me.

Don't expect this to be a miracle cure for all the ailments of the game, we're not selling snake oil. It is a huge step forward though. Many issues still exist within the campaign game that hold the AI back from it's full potential.

Primarily Mikll and I have been focusing on the XBAI over the past couple of weeks, while I play the adjusted version of the XCAI. So if we need to tweak it later we will. I do know, you will enjoy them both.
    Last edited by xeryx; January 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Great work, those are some big improvements. On a side note: How hard will it be for someone who doesn't have much if and modding experience to convert your AI to another mod such as SS? Unfortunately I don't play KGCM but would love to try out at least another CAI. Thanks.

Cool, really looking forward to version 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by soulson View Post
    Great work, those are some big improvements. On a side note: How hard will it be for someone who doesn't have much if and modding experience to convert your AI to another mod such as SS? Unfortunately I don't play KGCM but would love to try out at least another CAI. Thanks.
    The BAI is pretty much plug, clear your cache, and play.

CAI is more involved due to balancing the diplomatic scale. Plus a few other changes in other files. Please see current integration instructions. We will be posting new information later. Please be patient with us, we are a small team and most of us are pretty busy with RL too.

Queen Annes Revenge's Avatar Ordinarius

Super awesome!! Looking forward to 4.0.

Wow. This is simply huge. More than I could have expected, because of Xeryx's break - but look what the team can do!

This'll get me back and playing 100%. All I can say is thanks.

....And I could only dare to hope for AI sieges...

Quote Originally Posted by Glabro View Post
    Wow. This is simply huge. More than I could have expected, because of Xeryx's break - but look what the team can do!

This'll get me back and playing 100%. All I can say is thanks.

....And I could only dare to hope for AI sieges...
    Yes for months Mikll had to trudge through the code, and work things out!! He really did a good job of getting the XAI balanced, and improved. I think we started working on it again together in December over Christmas break. He got me hooked again!! Who needs RL anyway??! TO WAR!! (don't forget to give him a rep too!!, if you can find him!!)
    Last edited by xeryx; February 02, 2010 at 06:54 PM.

diadok's Avatar Senator

if you can find him
    i have search by user name : it's a ghost. the good way to escape the matrice.
    didn't find the white rabbit too, i think they are together...

I asked to EB2 if there is a chance to see them using XAI. their mod will come in a loooong time, but it's just a question. the best mod (antic era is my favorite) with the best (only one) AI, sounds like a dream for me...

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

Quote Originally Posted by diadok View Post
    i have search by user name : it's a ghost. the good way to escape the matrice.
    didn't find the white rabbit too, i think they are together...

I asked to EB2 if there is a chance to see them using XAI. their mod will come in a loooong time, but it's just a question. the best mod (antic era is my favorite) with the best (only one) AI, sounds like a dream for me...

Go go go, X-team!

@master zuma i actually helped dave fix the garrison script for 4.2 version of KGCM (although no credit was given LOL) but you can see from the thread in his forums garrison script error and solution thread where i showed how to fix and gave myfiles and permission to be used for 4.2 .

I could easily write you a non laggy script for the mod in question

@ Xeyx ill be adding the cache clearing procedures to my submod thread as you are right in cache being a very important part (silly of me to forget to tell people this

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Thank you soul firez.

I will go through my screen shots tomorrow guys, and post some of them. However they will not do it justice.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Hello. I tried this Mod before wellover a year ago and while it was good, saw some issues like on sieges, the AI seemed to just freeze. Elephant cannons didn`t fire.

I was wondering have these been solved? And are there any real problesm that have been issued with your Mod that are not part of vanilla? Will these work with yakapat`s Mod or bossdave`s mod?

I am about to install MTW2 again and look forward to your Mod release! Your readme certainly sounds impressive!

I wonder if I will be able to handle this Mod as I never, ever pause.
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; January 29, 2010 at 06:08 AM.

@ humble warrior.

Good Questions!!
    Well since we cannot predict how XAI will work in every single mod. Many other files still affect the BAI and CAI. We will sure do our best to help.

This is the first time, I have heard of the elephant issue. or the AI freezing??? Can you elaborate? But we also really don't play any elephant factions. Also please note the new clear cache procedure. It have been an issue as well.

The worst that can happen is when 4.0 comes out, is you try it, and if something doesn't work. Come to us and we will try and fix it. Or if not AI related, show you what it could be.

Sometimes we have to have patience though, there are many possibilities.

I am going to post some screen shots here, I'll try and put some descriptions and stuff.
    I'll start with the Campaign AI first...I know..it is easier for me this way..I have too many battle shots. I have to sort through them and pick out the good ones.
    Last edited by xeryx; January 29, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Icon14 Re: The readme for XAI 4.0 (coming soon)

It's gonna take me some time to do the screen shots guys!, I am spread way thin. Testing, coding, and i guess PR.

This is my current Scottish Campaign. I had issues with the resolution of the screen capture (game version) it was not getting my full screen, So the first 60 turns are toast. Sorry I have since installed Fraps again.

Guys let me give you some info here, and this is the honest truth, so help me God. I have enjoyed every turn of this game. I have had to plan out my attacks, reinforcements, and defenses. So far in my campaign..I have not made a mistake.

I decided early, that I would rather be friends with the Irish, so that we could waste the English and the Welsh. The relationships has worked PERFECTLY!! We have military passage between us, and are enjoying a fruitful and profitable relationship. We haven't had a battle together yet ..just the opportunity, never arose.

Watching the AI (Irish) has been fun. I did get a little worried when I saw alot of stacks at the land bridge to get to Scotland. They had Cardiff though and just wanted to get their troops there. Where they loaded them up to attack Rennes and Cean..from sea of course.

They forced me to move up my timetable of attack a few turns, because I did not want them to get too many settlements, with the large assault force they have.

I killed the English! and they did put up a fair fight. However at the time, i ruled the Battlefield with my pikes. We have been balancing the edu too, for our game play. I think that if I would have the current EDU, I would not have been so tough. Also some XBAI tweaks came into play along the way, which would have affected the battles quite a bit.

I will continue for a bit longer, as we test. Then I am gonna play another campaign!! But as Austin Powers would say "Yeah Baaby" I can play 100 turns and be challenged. on turn 96 I did a 3 pronged attack on my neutral neighbor France, while they were excommunicated, and using the majority of their forces against Spain! Too bad for them!

If this had been vanilla, I could have easily taken both the Irish and French.

I will aslo put in various Thumbnails!! (try to get at least 6 up today)
    Last edited by xeryx; May 08, 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast