Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Napoleonic Regiment Is This?

Default Re: What Napoleonic Regiment Is This?

I can see threw your lines and have enough of this bs! Prussian,Austrian,French and maby other lines infantry are sharing same model! Maby thats the reason why KGL lights look like reskined line ?
    Couldnt you just give them reskined shako of british line? Or maby they are reskinned french aswell?
    Well soldiers aren't made as complete models anymore but are made up of different parts, so not they do not share the same model. They are made of different parts. KGL Light Inf didn't wear the Belgic Shako that British Foot wear ingame. The Light Infantry shako that has been made for British Light Foot is the closest to the shako worn by the KGL Light Foot. Yes the shape is not 100% correct, but it is the closest to the look of the shako they did wear.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Well soldiers aren't made as complete models anymore but are made up of different parts, so not they do not share the same model. They are made of different parts. KGL Light Inf didn't wear the Belgic Shako that British Foot wear ingame. The Light Infantry shako that has been made for British Light Foot is the closest to the shako worn by the KGL Light Foot. Yes the shape is not 100% correct, but it is the closest to the look of the shako they did wear.
    The uniform editor?.. please Jack, I am monomaniac, I could not help to think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by panzerschreck View Post
    The More I see screenshots and videos, the more I think CA did a very good job, working hard on uniforms and accuracy.
    I second that mi old sausage.
    I have seen quite a few decent uniforms so far, this isn't the mod EB, or the Lords NTW. CA's work so far is to a high standard from what you'd expect for a games company. Whilst we will have to put up with short cuts etc because of their lack of time(I bet if given enough time Jack and co would of liked to polish things nicely), I say well done Jack Lusted and crew(but please fix the old Guard's Bearskin, nag/gentle reminder).

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Moved to the Historical Research Center. If you have any questions pleas send me a PM.

Hesus.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    Moved to the Historical Research Center. If you have any questions pleas send me a PM.

Hesus.
    A pity...Noone reads the threads in that part of the forum...I am off...
    Last edited by panzerschreck; January 24, 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipVonZietek View Post
    I can see threw your lines and have enough of this bs! Prussian,Austrian,French and maby other lines infantry are sharing same model! Maby thats the reason why KGL lights look like reskined line ?
    Couldnt you just give them reskined shako of british line? Or maby they are reskinned french aswell?
    I think it pays to be a tad more patient and polite, a member of CA staff has come in this thread on his time off, don't put him off, take the pain of everything not being perfect with a little more grace, then hopefully we won't put CA off from reading and replying to the threads

I am giving them my money and i have a right to demand satisfying product!
    Those shakos after reskin would look better on KGL, but well i think its just to hard for you to find a difreance. Also i think its part of Lusted work to visit this forums and so i am not seeing it as act of good will. If you think that answering my questions will make me buy this game becouse i am intending to do so from the very begining.

Btw it seems like we have Footguard on this picture but shouldnt they pants be white?
    Last edited by FilipVonZietek; January 24, 2010 at 08:23 AM.

Those are the placeholder models that were done, those models are not in Napoleon. So yes in Napoleon you will see British Foot Guards with white trousers. The Belgic shako is fine for KGL Foot, but not for their Light Foot where the shako we have given them is the closest part we have to their look.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Ok Lusted i have to say altough you guyes are rather clumsy i respect you. It seems that at least you are taking your work siriously and answer all questions quite quickly.

I have another question for you:
    Will Polish/Duchy of Warsaw units be in French roster or its going to be emergant faction?

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Those are the placeholder models that were done, those models are not in Napoleon. So yes in Napoleon you will see British Foot Guards with white trousers. The Belgic shako is fine for KGL Foot, but not for their Light Foot where the shako we have given them is the closest part we have to their look.
    Jack, will there be quibs in NTW or will it be the same as ETW when people get shot? I am not asking for massive amounts of blood but something subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    Can anyone tell me which Regiment these soldiers were? They appear to be mostly Irish and used by the British in their Spanish campaign.
    According to Bernard Cornwell who wrote the book they are the 'Real Compania Irlandesa' a Spanish Royal company attached to Wellington's HQ during the Feuntes do Onoro campaign. Sharpe is made responsible for training it, and used it to defend Fort San Isidro in April 1811. It also took part in the closing stages of the battle of Feuntes de Onoro by counter attacking Loup's Brigade.

According to Embleton there were no Spanish troops at the Battle of Feuntes do Onoro.

The historical notes provided by Bernard Cornwell as an appendix to the book Sharpes Battle state that the Royal Guard of Spain in the Napoleonic period consisted of four companies, one Spanish, one American, one Italian and one Flemish. So, in fact historically there was no such unit as the 'Real Compania Irlandesa'.

However, there were three Irish regiments in Spanish service at the time 'de Iranda', 'de Hibernia' and 'de Ultonia' each was composed of Irish exiles and their descendants.
    Last edited by Didz; January 25, 2010 at 04:33 AM.

The Light Infantry shako that has been made for British Light Foot is the closest to the shako worn by the KGL Light Foot. Yes the shape is not 100% correct, but it is the closest to the look of the shako they did wear.
    Just to clarify. There is no such thing as a light infantry shako, the British army at this period were in a state of transition from the old 'sugar loaf' pattern shako's (pre-1812 pattern) to the new (1812 Pattern 'Belgic' shako's).

The problem was that shako's had a long service life and as the British Army were reluctant to throw away servicable equipment, regiments and battalions only received the new 1812 pattern shako's when the prescribed service life of their existing headgear expired. This meant that most battalions fighting in Spain still retained their old 'sugar loaf' shako's until the the end of the war, whilst newly raised battalions and depot units were issued with the new style 'belgic' shako's.

So, the division of old and new was not necessarily that between Light infantry and Line infantry, although as far as I know all the regiments from the light division were still wearing the 'sugar loaf' at Waterloo.

Equally there is some evidence that certain regiments received replacement headgear during their service in Spain. I'm told for example that the 3rd Foot 'The Buffs' were wearing their new 1812 pattern shakos at Albuhera.

From a modelling point of view, only two different shapes are required. A sugar-loaf shape and a 'belgic' shape with the false front. If your artists are drawing multiple versions of the same thing they are really just wasting their efforts.
    So yes in Napoleon you will see British Foot Guards with white trousers.
    Not quite sure why the British footguards are going to be depicted fighting the battle in their parade dress. Contempory depictions of the battle clearly show them wearing campaign dress during the battle including standard grey overalls with the possible exception of the officers who arrived on the field directly from the Duchess of Richmonds ball and would have been wearing full dress including court shoes and white stockings.
    Last edited by Didz; January 25, 2010 at 05:04 AM.

Grognard_Admiral's Avatar Libertus

Does it mean that creating new units from now is all about uniting a number of existing parts ( say, head,lags,hands,body) and corresponding textures? And is the number of those parts/textures or final units somehow limited ?

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

The Walloon Guards were a whole Regiment, not a mere company. Same goes for the Swiss in Spanish service that were also of Regimental size.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebusitanus View Post
    The Walloon Guards were a whole Regiment, not a mere company. Same goes for the Swiss in Spanish service that were also of Regimental size.
    Yep! the Spanish Royal Guard were not a single company, battalion, regiment or even brigade. Like the French Imperial Guard and the troops of the British Household they included a wide range of units.

Embleton lists the Spanish Royal Guard of 1808 as consisting of one regiment of Life Guard Cavalry, a Regiment of mounted Royal Carabineers, a halberdier company, a regiment of Spanish Infantry consisting of three battalions and a regiment of Walloon Guards consisting of three battalions.

I'm assuming that the four companies Cornwell is referring to must be in addition to those listed, either that or the composition of the Royal Guard was substantially reduced between 1808 and 1811.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Anyone familiar with Cornwell´s work knows that while very versed in what he writes about, he makes whole situations up, units, background story, etc...He does the same in the American Civil war series of Starbuck.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Just to clarify. There is no such thing as a light infantry shako, the British army at this period were in a state of transition from the old 'sugar loaf' pattern shako's (pre-1812 pattern) to the new (1812 Pattern 'Belgic' shako's).

Not quite sure why the British footguards are going to be depicted fighting the battle in their parade dress. Contempory depictions of the battle clearly show them wearing campaign dress during the battle including standard grey overalls with the possible exception of the officers who arrived on the field directly from the Duchess of Richmonds ball and would have been wearing full dress including court shoes and white stockings.
    Never heard them called "sugar loaf" before, always seem to be called "stovepipes" but I absolutely agree with you on your point

Likewise on the Foot Guards

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well I am glad I started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Yeah sorry using the internal name for the part to refer to it. It is a stovepipe shako used by the light regiments.

Some more elite units have been given more parade ground style uniforms in order to help make them more distinct on the battlefield. Hence the use of white trousers for British Foot Guards when yes they would have used grey on service, though I believe some did use white whilst in the Peninsular.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard_Admiral View Post
    Does it mean that creating new units from now is all about uniting a number of existing parts ( say, head,lags,hands,body) and corresponding textures? And is the number of those parts/textures or final units somehow limited ?
    Yes and yes. The limit on the number of parts is simply time and resources to make them.
    Senior Designer

Grognard_Admiral's Avatar Libertus

Thanks for quick reply. Now I'm starting to understand what your " Unit editor" might look like. Something Impossible-creatures-style.Nice indeed.Still I have a final question just to make sure I got it correctly:

The limit on the number of parts is simply time and resources to make them.
    Which means that possessing hell lot of time and endless hard disc space you could create endless number of parts and hense endless number of units?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast