Thread: The Legacy of Rome

Visiar's Avatar Centenarius

Default The Legacy of Rome

AAR#2 H/H

Chapter 1. Two Heroes part1

The first man's name is Aulus Pompeius. He was born in Arretium. When he was young he often studied mathematics and sciences. When he moved to Rome to gain even more knowledge, his route often went by the barracks. He started to study wardfare. He read about some of the greatest men in military history like Alexander and Cyrus. He now found his calling, warfare. He joined the senate and was tasked to elimate the rebels in Croton. He is now famous for being outnumbered, marched uphill, and won the day. He was awarded in Rome. He is now tasked to fight the Gallic horde to the north.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The second man's name is Vibius Cassius. He grew up rather poor and often missed out on many opportunites. His dream was to become a soldier. He joined the army and was assigned to Decius Mus' legion. He and the army attacked Phyrrus. They were defeated and many men including Decius was killed. Wanting to avenge Decius, Vibius raised his own levy until it became a legion. Infuriated, he attacked Phyyrus and in the Descisive battle of Cannae quickly routed and killed Phyrrus. Impressed, the senate ordered him to fight the Mamertines at Messana.

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right"
    -Billy Graham
    When did you become interested in politics?
    The very instant I became old.

gaius_caesar's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: The Legacy of Rome

nice! You started a new AAR! You got a follower!

Chapter 1 part2

Vibius having layed seige to Messana, was immediately surrounded by a coalition of Mamertines and the people of Syracuse. The coalition quickly gathered all avaiable forces to Messana. The battle was on.

Most of Vibius' Hastati have upgraded to Principe level. Even so, his army has taken damage since the last refitting.

The coalition defends a small nearby hill. Vibius is confident in his troops that they will win the day, perhaps even a bit to confident.

The coalition uses it's archers to fire from a distance. Archers are some of the most deadly kind of troops in the world. Vibius is smart however and prepares to engage before they can unload more missiles on them.

On his right, Vibius uses a mix of cavalry and spearmen to attack the coalition's cavalry. The fighting is fierce, but Vibius is forced to withdraw his men from the attack.

Both sides have large amounts of heavy infantry. The old style of the phalanx vs. the new one of the Romans. Fighting is close and bitter. Large losses take place here.

Vibius joins the fight many times, but by doing so nearly loses his life.

The fighting is brutal and neither side gains an advantage. Each side has an incredible amount of will and neither side will retreat.

Soon it looks like the Romans lose whatever chance it had at winning. One of the centurions suggests
    that Vibius should withdraw and conserve his troops. He refuses. Fighting goes on.

Soon Vibius is forced to retreat with what men he has left.

Vibius can not believe his eyes when he hears the estimated dead. He decides to go back to Rome and create another army.

Meanwhile Aulus is having success against the Gauls. He has taken ordered the burning of Genua. A new Roman town is built over it.

Vibius runs in to more trouble in the south. He is ambushed. His guard barely manages to win.

Aulus now invades further north towards the Alps. He decides to halt near a bridge. It's easy to defend.

Facing no opposition, Aulus begins a seige of modern day Milan. He is however attacked by a Gallic force. Aulus deploys his men for battle and awaits the enemy.

-Billy Graham

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

look's good! may I ask what mod are you useing?

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Quote Originally Posted by philipOhayda View Post
    look's good! may I ask what mod are you useing?

Extended Cultures

-Billy Graham

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by visiar View Post
    Extended Cultures
    thanks very much!!

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Sweet, not played as Rome in XC yet. Nice start.

Chapter 1. part3

Aulus now fights the Gauls for the first time ever in a pitched battle. Even though the force is not the challenge he wants, he eagerly awaits the enemy. He gives his men a sound speech and encourages them. They are now as disciplined as ever.

Aulus is known for his tactics because of his great studies in Rome. He almost never uses the maniple formation and today is no exception.

The Gauls are divided into two detachments. When Aulus notices one gets seperated, he orders his men to march towards it. The Gauls close in, but before they can make contact, Aulus orders his men to fire their heavy javelin, pila, at the barbarians. Many are killed and routed.

The Roman commander now orders his equites to chase the fleeing enemy. They are ordered to take prisoners, but Aulus said it's okay if they "accidentally" kill some.

The second group hears of this and prepares to fight. They throw themselves at the Romans in fury.

Soon most of the Gauls flee, but the fanatics stay to fight to the end. Even with repeated cavalry charges in the rear they stay put. Aulus actually gives these men good burials.

In the end Aulus has won a decisive victory. He takes modern day Milan. The Gauls now know the damage of the Roman blade.

-Billy Graham

Chapter1. part4

Vibius after having lost a hard struggle now finds himself in an extremely bad position. He is low on manpower, his troops are low on moral, and Croton is under siege by the victorious coalition.

In the north, Aulus has recruited some local levies to bolster the ranks and is expecting reinforcements from Rome shortly. He has taken his army out of Mediolanium. He hopes to attract some Gauls to the site.

Vibius in the south decides to attack Messana one more time without recieving reinforcements. This is a daring attack. He leaves Croton basically defenceless and marches to Sicily. He makes the attack.

Vibius charges in his auxiliaries to gain a foothold. However the fighting becomes more and more less like a small skirmish for the gate.

A full cavalry charge of the coalition charges straight at the Auxiliary troops. The Romans are squeezed in the gate.

The coalition general is becoming more and more seperated from the main group. One of the samnites tries to attack the enemy general, but is saved by his personal friend.

The enemy general is soon killed and the coalition quits the struggle for the gate. Finally the Romans have a foothold. Vibius rests his men well before making a final assault.

Vibius sends in his men for an all out attack. The defenders have few troops left, but fight till the death.

Vibius finally conquers Messana. It was very costly to his men, but at least he has his prestige once more. The coalition is defeated and the population of Messana was massacred.

-Billy Graham

Nice one, Visiar.

Thank you all for reading, but I have quit this AAR. I am very sorry, but I just can't find a way to make this any good, and my campaign is failing. Vibius and Aulus are now dead and I can't thinkof anything else.

I have started another AAR however.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...97#post6692797

-Billy Graham