Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Submod: Redone Map

Athkara's Avatar Tiro

Default Submod: Redone Map

Hi all.

Well anyways, I've become obsessed with Greek history, and luckily found this mod. Then I thought to myself, 'How awesome would it be if I redid the map?'. So after a week of work, here it is! If anyone would like to use it/incorporate it into another submod, w/e, feel free to do so.

Linky: .rar https://rapidshare.com/files/3697965...kara_s_map.rar
    .zip http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y69SYOBN [dead link]

Installation should be pretty simple, just unpack and copy the 'data' folder over to your tgw install, and merge all the folders. (Definitely not same-game compatible though)

And of course, some screens:

Enjoy!

And now, for another surprise! I got bored and decided to see how far I could expand the map: turns out, pretty damn far! (Couldn't include Crete though )

I love this scale!
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; April 28, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
    260 BC: Asia ton Barbaron - submod for EB ------- Yuezhi/Wusun historian and mapper
    Asia ton Barbaron Map Preview I
    Asia ton Barbaron Map Preview II

Default Re: Submod: Redone Map

That's amazing work!

hannibalcaesar's Avatar Mostly Retired Modder

Wow the extended map looks EPIC.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Good work.

Visiar's Avatar Centenarius

cool

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right"
    -Billy Graham
    When did you become interested in politics?
    The very instant I became old.

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

sooo much potential for that expanded map...you may have finally broken the Greek mod curse
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Hmmmm, I think I will probably incorparate this into my submod.... I will presumably have to change some of the files you have edited in order to make it compatible but I must say it looks AWSOME!
    Presumably the huge map you showed us isn't in the install folder you have released?
    Edit: I have just downloaded the file but i can't open it because I don't have anything that can open RAR files. Would it be possible for you to upload the file as a compressed (zipped) file? My thanks if you can.
    Last edited by cpdwane; January 23, 2010 at 04:03 AM.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

I think the bottom map can be used for an extension of TGW (I had been toying with a similar map myself), adding 6-7 new factions. The huge map would require a complete redesign of this mod, and some of the original factions would have to go to make room for new, larger ones, unless much of the map were made into unconquerable empty regions...

Athkara's Avatar Tiro

Haha, thanks to everyone for the comments!

The only changes you should need to make to incorporate the map into another submod, should be to lift the resource/character coordinates from my descr_strat.txt. And I've edited the first post w/ a link to a .zip version of the map.

And yeah, I've been working on the extended map; in fact, I've just finished a moch-up version of the map_regions (using all 199 regions) - so here's another little sneak peak!

That would look cool in game, now wouldn't it?

And I do very much intend to finish the extended map some day... What happens then, who knows?
    260 BC: Asia ton Barbaron - submod for EB ------- Yuezhi/Wusun historian and mapper

hannibalcaesar's Avatar Mostly Retired Modder

You should really finish the map it looks extremely good. It would look cool in game

how do i fixs this

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucos of Olympia View Post
    I think the bottom map can be used for an extension of TGW (I had been toying with a similar map myself), adding 6-7 new factions. The huge map would require a complete redesign of this mod, and some of the original factions would have to go to make room for new, larger ones, unless much of the map were made into unconquerable empty regions...
    If you do decide to redesign the mod, I would be happy to help with reskinning units for the new factions. I think it would probably be wise to remove some of the very small factions such as Sicyon, but not Megara because it is too important to your storyline. And I think it would be good to add more then one Persian faction (if there are enough slots) because it would represent the satrapial system and stop them from being too powerful.

BTW thanks for adding the zip download version!

Edit: I have tried it and everything seems fine except from the fact that I have exactly the same problem as the above poster: the entire land area is purple! How do i solve this? I assume it is because the descr_aerial_map_ground_types file is in the wrong place, if this is the case, where should it go?
    Last edited by cpdwane; January 23, 2010 at 01:15 PM.

ok i got it to work rename the folder areal_map to aerial_map

Oh, just a spelling mistake then! Thanks for telling me

Well now I've got the map working I can pass judgement on it. The textures are far nicer then the origional but unfortunately the coastlines are very jagged and the rivers seem to extend into the sea for a bit. The map is very good but it still needs a bit of work I feel.
    Last edited by cpdwane; January 23, 2010 at 02:12 PM.

By keeping the bottom left 20% of Athkara's expanded map, we have the prospect of adding 7 new factions, bringing the total to 19 (including rebels). That could be raised to 21 if certain one-province states are included. With any larger map, some original factions will have to go and there will be an increased number of grey provinces.

The new factions in this map are:

Phocis - black
    Locris - yellow
    Euboia - dark green
    Thessaly - light green
    Macedonia - dark blue
    Aetolia - dark cyan
    Akarnania - dark red
    Epiros - darker red

Athens gets Potidaia and the new island provinces in the east, and Corinth gets Ambracia and some island provinces in the west.

A small change would have to be made to the map to create Delphi as an independent "rebel" state. By conquering it, Phocis would be able to recruit a better type of mercenary hoplites there, at reduced cost (setting up the balance of power for the Third Sacred War).

Macedonia would receive an off-map income/unit bonus, or the map could be expanded a bit to the north to cover most of its power base.
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; January 23, 2010 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpdwane View Post
    Oh, just a spelling mistake then! Thanks for telling me

Well now I've got the map working I can pass judgement on it. The textures are far nicer then the origional but unfortunately the coastlines are very jagged and the rivers seem to extend into the sea for a bit. The map is very good but it still needs a bit of work I feel.
    I got rid of the jagged coastlines in my original map by making every coastal pixel (1,1,1) (almost but not entirely black). It should work as well in this map.

Also, would it be possible for the statue of Zeus to be on the north side of the river, next to the city? It's not important for gameplay, but I'm from around there, and it seems strange seeing it on the wrong side...

I love the idea for the new map Selucos , although I think that Thessaly needs to have fewer (but much larger) regions, because at the moment it looks way too powerful. What also concerns me is that on this map if you defeat Athens or Corinth on the mainland they will not be destroyed because of their island colonies. Would it be better if the colonies were split into 2 seperate factions (Ionic colonies and Doric colonies) which started the game as protectorates of their home cities?

Athkara's Avatar Tiro

Haha, sorry about the spelling error. And I suppose I can focus on mapping Greece from Boetia up first (think it would be much more balanced with more of the Macedonian cities in - help provide a counter to Thessaly); and then you'll have that portion of the map to work with.

Though of course my true dream is to see the Ionian coast in this scale.

That's great stuff mate, keep up the good work!

One of the TGW team...
    I just do whatever needs doing! Sel does most of the work

I still think it would be better for Thessaly to have fewer provinces anyway because Thessaly was historically a very rural nation and it was also relatively weak for most of it's history (aside from when Jason of Pherae almost became Hegemon of Greece for a year.) Thessaly should be a nation that tries to mind it's own business but other factions keep having battles in it's territory (a bit like Belgium in the World Wars.) I also think that Delphi should have a building (called the Oracle of course) that gives a MASSIVE income bonus to whoever owns it, rather than having reduced price mercenaries, because this is closer to what happened in real life and is easier to implement. Of course there will be lots of mercenaries in the area anyway .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast