Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Kingdoms of the Isles - Signatures

Default Wales

What are your ideas regarding Wales in terms of historical people like Rhys Gethin, Gruffudd, Tudur ap Gruffudd, etc. Are there any changes in Units, traits, ancillaries, scripted events and so on. It says something in the description about Welsh rebellions. Can Owain Glyndŵr come to the rescue through some kind of event or is he in the family tree from the beginning? Also, will it be possible to form alliances with English rebels like Henry Hotspur Percy?
    Last edited by Barry Lyndon; September 04, 2011 at 12:43 PM.

Default Re: Wales

Wales is a work in progress but we will feature historical characters early in the time frame. Alliances with the Barons will be possible.

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Castles, Units and the general way of life

Dear modders,

I already send TheBruce a pm about this but I figured I'd drop it here as well.
    I am really looking forward to this mod, so I thought I'd just pour in some additional ideas of my own.

1. Castles
    As has been pointed out in an other thread, the castles should be tower houses. Now it is sort of impossible to make a reasonably defendable lone tower house, but perhaps the walls of the mottle and bailey could be brought closer to the keep? Or for that matter you could change the model to the permanent stone fort one, because the medieval castles in Vanilla are way too huge...

2. Units
    I pointed this out to TheBruce. I heard you were using general units from vanilla, but I've been playing some The Last Kingdom and to be frankly honest, those units look pretty damn good! It might be a bit off-timeframe but the majority of the armies would't be walking around in full plate anyway and it's better than the standard vanilla units in my opinion. Perhaps give DaNova a pm...For example the highland nobles / Gaelic Warriors that he uses could easily be recycled (especially the Gaelic Warriors would look ace with a bow or pike, and they wouldn't be too bad on a horse either). And for example for very low-rank units you could use some of their spearman units and give them a nice claymore or a pike, too (Such as the Bonnachts) For the more advanced units I suggest looking at some custom units that are used for Stainless Steel (such as the feudal knights).

3. General way of life
    Course there were lots of evil things going on, but in-game it would be very nice to see the daily way of life in the clan system, too. This can be done by adding buildings that have to do with fishing and hunting for example. Perhaps you could also add in one of the things that Stainless Steel does in the way of troubadours / christian council thingy. For example a clan gathering event in which you can select to either join or not join which will give you either economical benefits or changes your reputation with an other faction (say if you go to the clan meeting, the clans love you but if you don't go, Scotland will be like yay.

Just a few things that might not be included and are just more work, but I nonetheless wanted to share them with you!

Thanks
    Daniel

Default Re: Castles, Units and the general way of life

Just so you know, modding the battle mechanics, especially where seiges are concered is extremely difficult. I think of all the many mods here only a few have successfully modded seige battles (one of which was Third Age.) With that said, I agree it would be nice to have the actual keep as a feature of the battle with shooting arrows and what not and walls closer together.

Most of the generals would have been well armoured, even if the rest of the soldiers were not. Its always nice to have a historically accurate mod, so perhaps full plate in the 13th century would be out of place, but it would not be unusual for a general to be fully armoured and his troops a ragtag bunch of peasants.

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Just so you know, modding the battle mechanics, especially where seiges are concered is extremely difficult. I think of all the many mods here only a few have successfully modded seige battles (one of which was Third Age.) With that said, I agree it would be nice to have the actual keep as a feature of the battle with shooting arrows and what not and walls closer together. Edit: this would also mean that there can be less units stationed in a castle - If you look at for example Eilean Donan castle, that island is nowhere big enough to permanently sustain 2500 men! This would also make siege battles more realistic: 500 people defending and 1000 attacking (which is very doable if you dump your best units in the castle and your ragtag bunch of peasants in a nearby village, especially with the size that they currently use for the map!)

Most of the generals would have been well armoured, even if the rest of the soldiers were not. Its always nice to have a historically accurate mod, so perhaps full plate in the 13th century would be out of place, but it would not be unusual for a general to be fully armoured and his troops a ragtag bunch of peasants
    I didn't mean changing the keep - I meant using the tower from the mottle and bailey but reduce the overall size of the castle. if you've been to castles in Scotland, you see that they are fairly small, as well as in Ireland, simply because the terrain in general does not really allow for big castles.

Also, the generals should be fine the vanilla way! you can just use vanilla generals and TLK units? makes sense to me!
    Last edited by dmcraanen; September 14, 2011 at 02:31 AM.

In reality a garrison of 50-100 men could have supported a well defended castle against a thousand or so enemies. Realistically fortress and castle taking should be much harder than it is, but having said that it would also make the gameplay somewhat unbalanced.

I do agree castles should be smaller - I was just saying achieving that in a balanced manner is very time consuming and difficult.

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Any news?

Heya The Border Reiver! How are you? We havent met for a long time..!
    What's the progress in this mod?

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Danova, it's very good to hear from you! I made significant progress over the summer with a lot of coding, and am going to re-release KOTS3 with some added features in the interum.

hey guys....i havent been to forums for a while , but i always check on kots when i do, this is by far the funnest mod ive played and hope it isnt dead, been quite some time since v3, good luck and thx for the work you put into it

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hi jubraka, KOTS isn't dead, actually I'll be updating this post on Friday with the newest additions and changes. The mod will be released on Sunday.

ahaaAAHH ! ! !
    Great news to read ! I will be here at Sunday

ditto , thx Reiv

Did I miss the Release Party?

So what's going on with this mod Jimmy!?

Icon3 Lowland clans

I think you should add a few lowland clans to scotland such as clan Douglas (that fought england at Berwick) and clan carmichael who assisted them (they also had ties with the french)

Default Re: Lowland clans

Definitely some of the borders reiver clans should be represented,that would be the cherry on top with this mod,canny wait till its released

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Default How are things going?

Hello!

I'm isa0005 a Long time player of the various previous versions of this mod, though I have been quiet on this forum, I have always watched to see if there was any progress.

Thus far there has been very little and after seeing the preview of War in the West or what ever its called,I figured I ought to ask something about the the progression of this fine modification

I understand that your team is quite small, if not limited down to one person, but never the less when cam we, that is the TWC community expect an update?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567