Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms of the Isles - Signatures

Default Other Celts

Shouldn't there be factions for the cornish, breton and manx in this period? perhaps northumbria too - moss rangers? Even men of Kent at a push. this would break up engerland and stop it being quite the powerhouse
    Last edited by Kernow; February 23, 2011 at 01:38 PM.

Default Re: Other Celts

It would not be historically accurate. England was a united nation. England was the powerhouse in Britain during the period. This power is balanced by the threat of the French.

If the divisions in England were to be portrayed then it would make more sense to do this using separate factions representing the noble (i.e. Norman) families as PKH is doing. Scotland was also united when Balliol came to the throne (the clans were at least nominally loyal to him). However the clans were split during the subsequent wars

The Scottish clans (especially in the highlands) were at times autonomous during the civil war that followed the ascension of the Bruce. Many were loyal to the Bruce or the Comyns or even the English at varying times. Their inconstancy and wavering loyalties ultimately controlled the balance of power in Scotland. Once Scotland was united under the Bruce the nation was able to end English occupation. The inclusion of these clans as factions is therefore warranted and even neccessary for historical accuracy. The inclusion of other non-Irish Celts is not. The Isle of Man was under either English or Scottish control but was never independent.

That may be partly true, particularly if one takes the anglo-victorian historical perspective. But having a large homogenous england (which in actuality did exist until georgian times) makes for pooring game play, when the opportunity exists for allowing other factions based on hitorically rebellious elements of the uK. Loadsa scottish cland if great in a scotland mod, but so much in a British Isles one, for example there should be atleast 5 factions on the Island of Ireland, Munster, Ulster, Connaught, Norman SE Ireland, Anglo-gaelic Dublin/Leinster. Mods need to be fun. And this could be the ultimate British Isles mod if the focus on Scotland is reduced.

Our mod is set in the late 13th century and although primarily focused on the wars between Scotland and England we seek to portray the entire British Isles as accurately as possible at this time.

England was not homogeneous but neither was there any significant military threat from "Celts" in England during this time-frame. The idea that we are taking an anglo-victorian view of this historical period is laughable.

We agree there is justification for other Irish factions as has already been discussed. However if we keep adding factions the mod will never be released. We will certainly not be adding anachronistic celtic factions to England. If this does not sound like fun to you then I'm sorry but that's the mod we are making.
    Last edited by The Bruce; February 28, 2011 at 05:24 AM.

Default Re: Celtic music

I have reproduced an ancient Irish lament for my SV submod, I think from around 900AD:

http://soundcloud.com/mtw2-sv3-bi-su...-of-the-fields

I also have some other Celtic campaign and battle music and plan more for the next update.

If you are interested you will find it in the /sounds folder in these installation files: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=431721

..just credit me and my submod if you use it for anything.

Luck is the residue of design ~ Milton

Thanks sputnik. We are not planning any new music at the moment but further down the track we may consider this.

Great just let me know, I may also have some more in future.

Luck is the residue of design ~ Milton

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Default Any news?

Just wondering how the mods coming along? Haven't seen much happening of late.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Default Re: Any news?

Progress is a bit slow at the moment but we are still working away!

Default A couple of ideas

Not sure if these ideas have been thought of before, or mentioned, but I think they might be good. They're pretty much for Scotland, and possibly Ireland.

Here goes...

1) An "equivalent" to the other factions Jousting Lists, Tourney fields, Plaza de Toros, etc in the form of a Highland Games or clan gathering. It could serve at least two functions, by increasing public order (by having daily, monthly or yearly games, or just have a set percentage, like 5% for example, due to public happiness), and providing some kind of bonus to infantry trained in the area, due to the physically demanding and athletic nature of the games. If not a highland games, then perhaps a clan gathering, which increases loyalty and happiness of the people in the area.

2) Pipers on the battlefield, in small groups of course. They'd work in the same fashion as the Screeching Women, Druids and Priests of RTW, giving an increase in morale for friendly units and possibly a decrease for enemy units. Their primary function is to play pipes, but do have some capabilty of defense.

Default Re: A couple of ideas

Bulldog, your first idea is very good and quite easily implemented although not necessarily historically accurate for the period. We are keen on making highland-specific buildings that would have the same effect eventually.

Unfortunately the pipers idea is unworkable unless we have models and sounds and even then the legacy code from RTW will probably not work as expected. Pipers on the battlefield are probably from a later era.

Thanks for the input anyway!
    Last edited by The Bruce; April 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Default Re: A couple of ideas

Monastic distilleries for idea #1.

Uisge beatha, would lift morale anyways. Not sure about training however. I suppose lifting and shuffling heavy barrels all day would have some demonstrative martial effect.

Default Re: Kingdoms of the Isles - Signatures

any irish ones perhaps??

Libertus

yes, I am also anticipating this mod very much, although I am not sure about the implementation of "clan alliances" and I am not sure how it will be played, I am interested to play it.

I am waiting for this mod, and "princes, kings and heroes".

if you know any similar mods as well, please let me know.

Thanks

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Well the mod is coming along very slowly at the moment, but it is being worked on nearly everyday. We're chipping away bit by bit.

With regards to the scripting for the clan alliance, it was created by TNZ. I'm not really up on scripting so I can't explain how it works.

Libertus

Default are paypal donations appreciated?

Hi, I was wondering if I can contribute to the mod by "pre-ordering" it, if that makes the developement faster and better.

Thanks
    DanFromIran

Default Re: are paypal donations appreciated?

Yes please send $1,000,000 to my account immediately!

Seriously we are doing this for love and would never expect or accept any remuneration. Actually I doubt that it would be legal for us to do so.

The delays are entirely due to the fact that we have full time jobs and family commitments that interfere with our modding hobby.

Thanks for the offer!

Libertus

Default Re: are paypal donations appreciated?

no problem, "The Last Kingdom" accepts donations, thats why I asked.

zipdad's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Making Generals live longer

What if you gave generals bodyguards skirmish ability and if there is a way for it to automatically activate, generals would run away if enemy units approach but not retreat. They would also be more timid but less likely to die because of you wouldnt have to weaken the bodyguard and it would stay balanced. just a thought, i dont know anything though

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast