Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms of the Isles - Signatures

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Kingdoms of the Isles - Signatures

Hi Everyone

EDIT: 27JAN2010 - Added signatures by Prince of Yunderup
    We've added some new Kingdoms of the Isles signatures created by EwenCameron for people to use if they like. I'll further update this post with other signatures made by Prince of Yunderup later today

1st: Showing a Border Reiver

2nd: Scene of the Battle of Bannockburn

3rd: Showing some Border Reivers

4th: Robert the Bruce in the duel with Henry de Bohun

5th:

6th:

7th:

8th:

More Sigs by Smoesville

Cheers,
    The Kingdoms of the Isles Team
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; September 15, 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: old thread closed

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Kingdoms of the Isles - Signatures

nice signatures people

EwenCameron's Avatar Semisalis

I'm glad to hear this mate. Thanks.

Developer of "The Kingdoms of the Isles" - 2D Artist, Traits & Ancillaries, Family Trees

Patrician

Title post has been updated with some new signatures made by a new member of the team, Prince of Yunderup.

Default Celtic music

Iam looking for any kind of Celtic music from medieval or renneisance era.

Thx for every usefull post , Iwill reward it with +rep

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Patrician

Default Re: Celtic music

IVIarkI2I....I don't really have any of this sort of music. Not sure if anyone else can help?

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

any Irish one?

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Being a piper and whistle player, I have loads of professional CDs from Ireland and Scotland. Mostly young Gaelic musicians and singers. BUT: I am afraid there will be a copyright problem. However, the music would just hit the spot for this mod. I made my own sound mod for Ireland and Scotland. I never published it, because I am not sure about the copyright.
    I can recommend some artists:
    A) Scotland, Western Highlands, Hebrides: Julie Fowlis (Gaelic singing including pipes, whistles, fiddles...), James Graham (Gaelic singing), Allan MacDonald of Glenuig (pipes, whistles and Gaelic singing), Dòchas, Ossian, Iain MacInnes, Ronan Martin (Highland Fiddle), Deaf Shepherd, Capercaillie...
    B) Ireland: The Bothy Band, Planxty, Lúnasa, Dervish, Altan...
    Those artists and bands play on a very high musical level, and they play very authentic music without being boring. Some of the tunes just blow you away, and some of the Gaelic songs are deeply moving.

I would upload my sound mod folders for you. But as I said: There might be a copyight problem.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Perhaps do a search here.

http://www.proudmusiclibrary.com/en/index.php

Balla.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Last edited by PhilipO'Hayda; April 01, 2010 at 02:01 PM.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Nice. But it's all mainstream fantasy music. The original Total War music is made by professional people, of course. Very professional compositions. But in order to create historically correct music, you have to focus on a certain style of music. Not every musician is a jazzer. Not every musician is a rocker. Not every musician is a piper.... The real authentic stuff for Gaelic ("Celtic") music is produced by real Gaelic musicians. And there is a difference between Irish music, Scottish music, Welsh music... I think the RTW EB modders did a great job. They even managed to integrate music made by bronze age "cornyx" sounds...

Historically correct music from the late 12th century would be very hard to find. Are there any known examples of Gaelic music from this period?

Well, to be honest: When I was talking about historically correct music, I was more thinking about Piobaireached, Gaelic song, fiddle playing, and harp playing of around 1600-1800. And I was thinking about a minimalistic and "rootsy" interpretation of this music which would capture the mood of the mod better than a smoothed mainstream interpretation. The musicians mentioned above (#3) do a very good job there. The real sound and interpretation of 12th century (Gaelic) music can only be guessed. It was certainly dominated by pure harp playing and song. In the Highlands there is no evidence of (bag) pipes and Piobaireachd before the 15th century.

Brian Boru's March is quite an old song, and might fit well. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csRPGdlu_LM
    O'Neill's March is also very nice, though I'm not sure its as old. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odkpp_Zxq4w
    I hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by Aéd Liath; April 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM.

Dionisy's Avatar Civis

Default Gibson and his "Brave heart"

Hellow, mates from Scotland. What yuor opinion about Mal Gibson and "Brave heart". Is it historically accurate or not?

Maca's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Gibson and his "Brave heart"

I don't know if you can ever call a film involving the battle of Sterling bridge without a bridge historically accurate, and as far as I'm aware there was no historical Marion.
    To sum it up I have a quote from historian Sharon Krossa:
    "The events aren't accurate, the dates aren't accurate, the characters aren't accurate, the names aren't accurate, the clothes aren't accurate -- in short, just about nothing is accurate"

Fab epic film though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    I don't know if you can ever call a film involving the battle of Sterling bridge without a bridge historically accurate, and as far as I'm aware there was no historical Marion.
    To sum it up I have a quote from historian Sharon Krossa:
    "The events aren't accurate, the dates aren't accurate, the characters aren't accurate, the names aren't accurate, the clothes aren't accurate -- in short, just about nothing is accurate"
    Not to mention Wallace was a noble (although a minor one) and Andrew moray was almost certainly the senior commander at Stirling Bridge. Also Isabella of France was around 10 years old at the time of Wallace's execution and did not marry Edward II until 3 years later.
    Last edited by The Bruce; May 09, 2010 at 08:44 AM.

Dionisy's Avatar Civis

Thanks for reply, mates, yet anouther question.
    The pank looking hithlanders and unarmoured retainers of Mornie and Lockland - is it accurate?
    Also could your give me link to web sites of Medieval Scottish military history.

Maca's Avatar Decanus

I am unsure what you mean by "pank" but I assume that you are commenting on their outfits.
    On that front, highlanders of this period wore neither kilts nor belted plaids to battle, the first mention of belted plaids are at the end of the sixteenth century, around four hundred years after William Wallace.

As for the cavalry, I am not sure, but if I had to bet money then I would say that they would have worn chainmail over a leather jerkin, not heavy cavalry but they certainly would not have been unarmoured.

Patrician

I really liked the Braveheart movie. Sure it could have been more accurate, but in the absence of any other movies (except rob roy) made about highlanders and scotland in the last 20 years this movie is brilliant. The soundtrack is also very very good, as is Rob Roy.

The retainers used by Mornay and Lachlan are fairly accurate representations. Very little uniform appearance was found within unit types of the time anyway.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast