Thread: Etruscans

Default Etruscans

Anyone tried and had success with an Etruscan campaign? I was pretty soundly trounced many times trying to play by spartan gameplay rules, What with the Romans from the south and Gauls from the north I only lasted a hand full of turns (except for Aleria) Just to see what would happen I finnaly resorted to bribery on the Gauls and after many close and tense battles wiped out the Romans. I was kind of disappointed though to see to see that the units available are pretty limited,in fact the same as start even in Rome (still not far into campaign though).Are these the only units ever available to the Etruscans? The heavy infantry is pretty good but would like some more variety in heavy infantry and cavalry.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Etruscans

I haven't yet played an extended campaign yet, but I plan to. I'm pretty sure the Spartan gameplay rules apply only when playing as Sparta, though.

Hi kritic,

The Etruscans are there mainly to give rome a hard time at the beginning of the game - when you play as rome. I had to favour some factions over others slightly, so that e.g. the romans didn’t get wiped out.

I would suggest adding a few more units to your start game [in desc_strat file in the world folder], and then play be SGR [Spartan rules]. This is fair if you are playing as Etruscans I feel.

I will be making a load of Ionian style units for myth_tw somewhen soon, it wont take much to make them into Etruscans of the earlier type we have in stw. So sure you will get some more units, what would you think the faction needs, if say you had four extra units?

i didnt realise everyone would like them so much
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    i didnt realise everyone would like them so much
    Didn't I tell you in the dev forum how awesome the Etruscans are?

Ha, true, I worry they are most likely not historically correct for the time, I just liked the troy type look better.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

kommandant's Avatar Civis

Ha, true, I worry they are most likely not historically correct for the time, I just liked the troy type look better.
    that explains why they looked like Hector of Troy to me

quick question though, im planning on starting a Etruscan campaing and im wondering if their is anyway
    for me to give them units from Rome per say to them? without doing all the photoshop stuff

If you want any units from any faction, just add the faction name e.g. Etruscans to the entry for the unit you want.

Files to edit will be the DMB EDB EDU

+ you will need to copy and past the unit cards in the UI folder e.g. just add all the files from romans to Etruscans.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    Didn't I tell you in the dev forum how awesome the Etruscan s are?
    When I first played this mod I started as the Romans and when I seen there where Etruscan s I was thrilled.I've always had a fascination with Etruscan culture and I have never seen them in a mod before. I immediately suspended my Roman campaign and I am determined to rule the known world with Etruscans.As for what units I would like to see I would like some good heavy non-phalanx heavy infantry and maybe some real Etruscan archers and pellasts maybe an additional very heavy cav unit, chariots? I'm enjoying playing them anyway and now have captured Patavium from the Gauls although a long brutal fight is ahead, with the Romans out of the way so far no threats from the south.Be cool if the Etruscan s could be developed as a major faction. Etruscan TW? I'd play it lol. Sonds like they had a variety of military units axemen? http://www.larth.it/pages_eng/fortifi.htm
    Last edited by Kritic; January 21, 2010 at 06:59 PM.

The link you gave describes them pretty much how we have them so that’s ok then.

Ok I will take on board your advice on unit types, I quite fancy an axe or double headed axe infantry unit [as described on the link], that would be quite unusual.

If for now you wanted to add some yourself, then troy_tw has quite a few suitable units.

kommandant's Avatar Civis

If you want any units from any faction, just add the faction name e.g. Etruscans to the entry for the unit you want.

Files to edit will be the DMB EDB EDU

+ you will need to copy and past the unit cards in the UI folder e.g. just add all the files from romans to Etruscans.

thanks for the help but i have one problem and i hope you can help me a little more
    i've already done the copying of the units to the etruscans, and i've added to the nation the unit
    hastati(as a test dummy)on the EDB and EDU for every single one but i dont know what to do with the DMB file
    im completely confused when it comes to that file<--scratch that, i figured it out, i was just over thinking it(edit)

its beautiful to see Hastati's, Princepes, and Triarii at Etruscan's disposal and more to come(the entire roman roster)
    Last edited by kommandant; January 21, 2010 at 08:04 PM.

If for now you wanted to add some yourself, then troy_tw has quite a few suitable units.
    I've been meaning to DL Troy and stick the Trojan sword units and royal archers into STW for myself.

I've been meaning to DL Troy and stick the Trojan sword units and royal archers into STW for myself.
    If you do then can you make it into a small pack for other users? If you like I can resize the skins to 512 if they are not already, maybe tweek them a bit.

If you do then can you make it into a small pack for other users? If you like I can resize the skins to 512 if they are not already, maybe tweek them a bit.
    Yeah, I can do that. I'll need a couple days, though.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Just make sure you get permission first

we already have permissions.

You know this whole discussion prompts me to ask a question, I have 22, yes! 22 mods installed on this computer lol (I have RTW,BI and Alk). Obviously I don't have time to play them all very much and cheat on money with most of them just to get a feel and appreciate the graphics and gameplay.Been playing for years now but never have felt comfortable playing a phalanx based faction.Can they stand up to an army of non-phalanx type? What are some tactics to make it more enjoyable? It is such a slow paced style compared with the flexible legions and getting outflanked just destroys a phalanx. I would like to play a legitimate phalanx campaign sometime. Those of you that do,give me some tips to make it more exciting, supporting units etc

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Phalanx factions are near unbeatable if unbroken (as in don't lose formation), but are vulnerable on the sides and rear. What I do is keep my Phalanx units in the front while I keep heavy infantry (non-phalanx) on the sides to intercept enemy flanking maneuvers. I also tend to keep archers behind the phalanx, but I also send skirmishers out to harrass the enemy's heavy infantry (but be aware of Cavalry). Arrows pose little threat to your Hoplites as long as they face the arrows. Remember, the back is your weakness! Keep it protected as much as you can and you'll do fine!

Archers behind a phalanx with swordsmen and cavalry to the sides, is something of an unstoppable tank. A small army of such perched on a hill will beat almost anything even other phalanx based armies.

If you want more flexible armies and ones that are perhaps more historical for the later period, try only having 4 phalanx units per army. You can use these to pin down the enemy whilst manoeuvring around them with the rest of your army. Alexandrian tactics basically.

Spartans probably shouldnt have many true spartan phalanx units also, if you want to be more historical.