Thread: Shogun: Total War battlefield control errors?

Default Shogun: Total War battlefield control errors?

Hello!

First time poster so please forgive me if this is a wrong forum or somesuch - literally found this site via google and from what I can tell this is my best shot at asking any TW questions concerning rome or earlier.
    Anyway - I've just reinstalled by beloved copy of S:TW, one of the first strategy games I ever played and still up there with my favourites, yet I've run into a little snag in gameplay which I certainly don't remember happening before.

When in the "battle mode" of the game, things have suddenly become a little...awkward to control. Firstly, I can't seem to select troops by clicking on their unit flag on the field itself - only by using the 'summary' banner in the hud area. While more annoying than limiting, it's only the start. More importantly I can't seem to actually direct selected troops via mouse either - clicking on a location to move that unit will only move troops as if I had clicked on (&directed them to) the ground vertically below the position of the camera. Of course, with the camera controls as they are in STW, you can't tilt it vertically downward to even see that terrain. It makes battlefield management nigh on impossible, and I can't see any cause nor fix for it.
    I also can't order selected troops to attack an enemy unless that enemy is also directly below the camera - regardless of where my mouse it pointing on the screen/terrain it's as if it's only able to detect and direct to the ground below the position of the camera.

Now, it has been quite awhile since I last played this game, yet I'm positive this isn't anything I've seen before. Reinstalling doesn't seem to make a difference nor does the addition of The Mongol Invasion expansion pack.
    Is there anything painfully obvious I'm missing here, or has anyone heard of a similar bug before?

If it matters, I'm running the warlord edition of Shogun: Total War, with the Mongol invasion expansion. No patches since I believe the latest is included in this release, and nor am I running any mods. Fully legitimate copy of the game and undamaged disks etc.. System specs are Windows XP SP3, dual core AMD64, GeForce 9800 GTX, 2GB DDR2. I've run this game perfectly fine on a similar machine, the only differences being XP SP2 and a single core processor.

Thanks in advance!

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Shogun: Total War battlefield control errors?

There is no fix for cards 8000 and newer.

Thanks for the quick reply! I did a little digging and found the same answer elsewhere, yeah Something to do with non-backwards compatable drivers or somesuch with series 8 or newer cards. Perhaps I had an older card beforehand. Really quite depressing that such an awesome game is limited by it.

I did stumble upon a tip which does work, though - changing the game video options to run in "Software Mode" as opposed to the primary driver does make the game play fully as it should do, but also somewhat limits the graphics. The battle mode window is somewhat lower resolution etc. Unfortunately this fix only works with STW and not other games where the same issue is apparently present.
    But then again, I'm not playing this game for the graphics. It's phenominal regardless. Apologies for the waste of time in posting when I ended up finding a solution elsewhere, but thanks anyway!

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Enjoy it anyway if you can. It is a good game. Closed.