Page 1 of 36 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation Help (now with a MUCH! needed update)

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Icon4 Installation Help (now with a MUCH! needed update)

MAKE SURE YOU DIRECT ALL INSTALLATION PATHS TO YOUR MAIN MEDIEVAL 2 FOLDER! NO MATTER WHAT IT SAYS!
    Unless specified in the instructions below

Possible mod folder paths:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Windows XP: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Call_of_Warhammer
    Windows 7: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Call_of_Warhammer
    Steam (Windows XP): C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Call_of_Warhammer
    Steam (Windows 7): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Call_of_Warhammer
    VISTA: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Call_of_Warhammer

Installation Order
    Here are the steps one must take when using the Official Download links (here)

1) Download and install Version 1.4
    2) Download and install the New Music Patch
    3) Download and install Cumulative Patch 1.44
    4) Download and extract the English Translation to your "Call_of_Warhammer/data" folder.
    5) Follow all instructions here.

Trusted Alternative Links
    Here are the best, most used, and most trusted Alternative download links for users to use without possibly having to wait forever:

TORRENTS AND DOWNLOADS
    NEW DOWNLOAD LINKS!

Want to seige a city in custom battles? Now you can!

This is for the people who are having troubles playing siege battles in custom battles (with pictures!):

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY!

1. Select a map without the little silver box next to it.

2. Set the settlement level to "Fort"

Note: It will say "none" for settlement level after this. That's alright!

3. Select your culture (such as Empire)

4. Re-select your settlement level (such as Huge-City)

5. Play the siege battle!

Have an enjoyable siege!

Want smoother gameplay?

Here's a tool that was made (not by me) to increase your game's FPS (frames per second) a bit. The higher the FPS, the better. It raises my game's FPS from 15 to 20-21 It helps more than you think. All you have to do is run the tool and it works!

If you want to see your game's FPS, go download FRAPS. It's a handy tool that lets you save your screenshots where you want and it shows your FPS in the top right corner of your screen. You can also disable that number if you want though.

Link

With the best intentions,
    The Holy Pilgrim

For those with steam
    If you have Medieval 2 on steam, try this tool. It may help you if you have any problems.

OR

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Big thanks to SteamKnight for this tool

[I]
    How to run the steam tool

Credits also go to Sharpe235 for tell me how to add the game to your registry

How to get CoW 1.4 to work with steam

Windows 7 Users!
    Problem solved. I just had to delete the teutonic folder in my "C:\Users\My name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods" folder.

Anyone using Windows 7 should read this if you are having problems with the sound in version 1.01

And before anyone closes this thread, I just posted this so that way other people don't post similar threads.

In order to extract files to another folder, you MUST! disable User Control. Type "Disable User Control" in the help box to find it and put the slider all the way to the bottom. Once you do this, the mod will work.

Here's how

1. Open the "Computer" shortcut on your desktop

2. You'll see a little blue ? mark button in the top right corner of the screen. Click it.

3. A dialog box will come up. Type "Disable User Control" in the search box up at the top. Press Enter once typed.

4. Click on "2. How do I change the behavior of User Account Control by using the slider?"

5. Follow the instructions at the bottom of the page. Once you do that, you can play the mod (you may want to reinstall it though)

why close it? I'll make it sticky
    -Beregond

How to make separate mod folders for CoW
    Hey guys,

Since some of the CoW players have been wishing to make two CoW folders to play more than one sub-mod, I'm here to show you guys how.

STEP 1
    -Download CoW and install all necessary fixes. Keep this folder as an unmodified backup so that way if you try a sub-mod and you don't like it or you messed something up terribly, you have the vanilla folder with clean files to rely upon

STEP 2
    -Copy the CoW folder and rename it to whatever you like. It can be "Call_of_My_Little_Pony" if you'd like it to be*.

STEP 3
    -Open the new folder. It should have all of the files your original CoW folder had before the copy process. You should see a "warhammer.bat" and a "warhammer.cfg" in the folder (NOT in the data folder, though).

STEP 4
    -Open the "warhammer.cfg" file with any text editing program, preferably Notepad or Notepad++. You will see a section that looks like this:

Code:
    [features]
    ;editor = true
    mod = mods/Call_of_Warhammer
    change the red phrase to have the same name as your new folder. We'll use the "Call_of_My_Little_Pony" example for the sake of consitency.

Code:
    [features]
    ;editor = true
    mod = mods/Call_of_My_Little_Pony
    Save your changes and exit Notepad.

STEP 5
    -Right-click on your "warhammer.bat" file and select "EDIT." This will bring up a text window that should look something like this:

Code:
    del /Q ".\data\text\*.bin"
    del /Q ".\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\*.rwm"
    cd "..\.."
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\Call_of_Warhammer\warhammer.cfg
    Once again, change the red to have the same file name as your new folder

Code:
    del /Q ".\data\text\*.bin"
    del /Q ".\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\*.rwm"
    cd "..\.."
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\Call_of_My_Little_Pony\warhammer.cfg
    Save your changes and exit Notepad.

STEP 6
    -Play with your new mod folder and have fun

*NOTE: I strongly advise new folder names to have underscores "_" instead of spaces " ". This will reduce any errors that spaces " " may cause.

If you are having problems with the torrent, copy these questions and answer all of them (if they apply):

1. Do you have Kingdoms version 1.5?

2. What other mods do you have?

3. What Operating System do you have (eg. Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7)? If you have either Windows 7 or Vista, did you turn off the UAC (User Account Control)?

4. What extraction system are you using (eg. 7-zip, Winrar, WinZip etc.)*?

*Try using 7-zip. It seems to cause less issues than winrar or winzip. I don't know why, but people who use 7-zip seem to have less CTD errors on start up.

Older Post Contents
    Irrelevant, Older, instructions (just for safe keeping)
    Possible mod folder paths:
    Windows XP: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\teutonic
    Windows 7: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\teutonic
    Steam (Windows XP): C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\teutonic
    Steam (Windows 7): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\teutonic
    VISTA: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\teutonic

The Holy Pilgrim's method
    Here's the updated installation order:

1. Version 1.02 (found here)

2. Version 1.01 sound patch (found here)

3. Version 1.01 translation (found here) (extract to the "teutonic/data" folder)

4. Version 1.02 translation (found here) (extract to the "teutonic/data" folder)

5. Version 1.03 (found here) (post #3)

6. Version 1.03 hotfix (found here) (post #4)

If you follow these directions exactly, you can play with the campaign and custom battles without frequent (there are still a few bugs in the campaign, but it's pretty stable) CTD's

Hope this solves your problems

All in one download here!
    Here is a torrent that contains all of what you need in order to play the game

LINK TO HAPPINESS

Official Install Method (thanks to Katoneo!)

Quote Originally Posted by Katoneo View Post
    Well I've just installed 1.02 full version.

1. Place all parts in one folder. (for me it was "coh")

2. Open your 7-Zip File Manager

3. Go to your "coh" directory. Check file with .001 ending and use extract option

4. I did extracted it to another folder and I've received

5. Just run your installation

For me It worked fine, I didn't have opportunity to test it in-game campaign, i've just installed it and started the game, so far it works. Sorry for thumbnails but I hadn't got time to resize imgs.
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; February 27, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Default Re: If you are having trouble with installing version 1.02, look here

Used the files in the links and installed in that exact order, but now it'll load the splash screen in the beginning then crash to desktop.

Edit: Tried it again and it just refuses to start using the hotfix. Left the hotfix out and the game started fine and was able to start a campaign. But on the third turn the game crashes every time without fail.
    Last edited by KaiserJoe; January 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM.

I can't open the 1.01 installer, it just makes e.explorer crash.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserJoe View Post
    Used the files in the links and installed in that exact order, but now it'll load the splash screen in the beginning then crash to desktop.

Edit: Tried it again and it just refuses to start using the hotfix. Left the hotfix out and the game started fine and was able to start a campaign. But on the third turn the game crashes every time without fail.
    You have to reinstall the mod. First, delete the enitre teutonic folder. After you do that, follow those instructions to the letter. This is the method I followed and it works perfectly fine for me. What other mods do you have btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicha11 View Post
    I can't open the 1.01 installer, it just makes e.explorer crash.
    What do you mean? Is it when you try and download or install?

You have to reinstall the mod. First, delete the enitre teutonic folder. After you do that, follow those instructions to the letter. This is the method I followed and it works perfectly fine for me. What other mods do you have btw?
    Yeah I delete the entire Teutonic folder each time I reinstall it. I'll give it another go after this post though. The only other mods I have for M2TW right now is Stainless Steel, I uninstalled the others and the empire mods just lack the quality of M2TW mods so I've come back.

Edit; Nope, deleted every mod and Teutonic folder, reinstalled exactly using the directions and it crashes on the splash screen with the hotfix installed and lets me play to turn 2 before crashing without the hotfix on 1.01 or 1.02.
    Last edited by KaiserJoe; January 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Citizen

Do you have kingdoms version 1.5? If so, try replicating the error and post an error log, which can be found in your logs folder (C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\logs)

Also, if you are using Windows 7, look here

I've done everything except the music patch. It works but I'm wondering if I can aplly the music patch now without it causing a crash??

Citizen

Yes. You can download the music patch. The only time you can't install the music patch is if you want to play on Hamachi.

Thanks, this was a great help.

+rep

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

Hey, I just followed your instructions, and I'm finally able to play an Orc campaign past the first turn.
    I'm not sure if something has been fixed in the files I re downloaded or if it had something to do with me extracting the translation files in the wrong order before, but it works now, thanks alot.
    "The only question that remained was whether the founders knew the final result of their creation, or if they themselves where the victims of a misunderstanding.
    In the latter case it was the duty of any thinking human, to press himself into the front of this depraved movement, to perhaps still prevent the extreme, in the former case the founders of this peoples disease must have been true devils; for only in the brain of a monster - not of a human - could the plan for an organisation take meaningfull form, whose purpose must lead toward the end result of a collapse of human culture and thus to the desolation of the world.
    In this case only battle remained as a means of final delivery, battle with any weapons that the human mind, intellect and will are able to comprehend, regardless, of whom fate would gift with it's blessing."

Citizen

You're welcome

Do you have kingdoms version 1.5? If so, try replicating the error and post an error log, which can be found in your logs folder (C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\logs)

Also, if you are using Windows 7, look here
    Alright the problem was stupid and my fault. The download link to the 1.02 patch's program installs it to 'C:\Program Files\Medieval 2 - Total war' where my (and probably a lot of other American's) main kingdoms folder is in C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval 2 - Total War.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserJoe View Post
    Alright the problem was stupid and my fault. The download link to the 1.02 patch's program installs it to 'C:\Program Files\Medieval 2 - Total war' where my (and probably a lot of other American's) main kingdoms folder is in C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval 2 - Total War.
    Thank you very much, I made the same mistake and could not figure it out...

Citizen

Sorry, that was my fault. I said to direct all installers to your medieval 2 directory no matter what it says in all of my other post on this subject, but not here

Updated first post

Citizen

Updated first post with possible installation paths for different systems.

Also, Can someone please tell me the default path for VISTA? I have never had VISTA, so I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated

PS: Can a moderator sticky this thread, please?

Citizen

Icon4 New tool thats makes your game run smoother

Here's a tool that was made (not by me) to increase your game's FPS (frames per second) a bit. The higher the FPS, the better. It raises my game's FPS from 15 to 20-21 It helps more than you think. All you have to do is run the tool and it works!

If you want to see your game's FPS, go download FRAPS. It's a handy tool that lets you save your screenshots where you want and it shows your FPS in the top right corner of your screen. You can also disable that number if you want though.

With the best intentions,
    The Holy Pilgrim
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; January 22, 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: New tool thats makes your game run smoother

Did you guys know that warhammer.cfg has

grass setting at 9000

It is not quoted out.

This means that even if you change the setting in game it will go default back to high grass which can contribute to some lagging issues.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

This sounds great, but I'm curious what this tool exactly does in detail?
    Edit:
    Is it similar to this?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=270604
    That one actually worked too
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; January 22, 2010 at 04:51 PM.

Citizen

It's exactly that.

Here's a tool that was made (not by me)

The higher the FPS your computer has, the faster it runs, thus less lagg during gameplay

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

I was just thinking if this is something else, and maybe better
    Well good thing that you posted it here, will help people a lot
    And I have used this a lot before I upgraded my laptop, so it really works.

Couple of points maybe to add to OP?
    Quote Originally Posted by YassirX View Post

Important:
    1. Run the Exe as Admin.
    2. This Script is only able to increase your overall gaming performance when your components are each other up to date! A 4 Year old Graphiccard with a new CPU like E8400 will hardly be able to support each other! Even this Script will not be able to cause any increase than!

3. Make sure you exit the Exe before your Computer shuts down.
    (1). Tell the Script manually to shut down viá pushing any button (while the script windows has been opened)
    (2). Tell the Script manually to shut down viá Task Manager (klick on "Exit Task")
    (3). Click on the Cross of the Window that appears while openend the Script.
    (4). Click on the Script at your Task-Bar with Right-Click and click on "Exit".
    (5). Toggle your PC off viá Task.

5. If your Computer has been inflicted by a Crash do the following, its not needed, but I recommend it:
    (1).Start your computer,
    (2).Start the Script,
    (3).Exit the Script,
    (4).Shut down your computer.

6. Those who overclocked their components can use the script at likely but its not fully tested with overclocked components and I dont recommended it. Also I will not be liable for any problems caused by this!

Last edited by Kahvipannu; January 22, 2010 at 07:02 PM.

Page 1 of 36 123456789101126 ... LastLast