Thread: siege AI

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

Default siege AI

I have to say that the seige AI is pretty impressive. I actually even lost a citadel. It seems when the AI has its own siege engines units that it attacks pretty agressively and doesnt pittle around.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

PSIHOPAT's Avatar Senator

Default Re: seige AI

And the units remain stuck at the walls....

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Quote Originally Posted by PSIHOPAT View Post
    And the units remain stuck at the walls....
    More like vanilla-m2tw problem with huge/large settings (and sometimes with lower ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Champion View Post
    I have to say that the seige AI is pretty impressive. I actually even lost a citadel. It seems when the AI has its own siege engines units that it attacks pretty agressively and doesnt pittle around.
    Yes, I agree with VC, battle-AI in this mod has made an impression on me, it is, really good I freaking hate it when I have epic siege battle ahead, and AI is just passive. C'mon, let's have a god damn fight! But no, AI is just going to play it slow... In CoWH, this issue is pretty much vanished
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; January 19, 2010 at 05:43 PM.

I do agree, the AI during sieges is a lot more threatening than in vanilla.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

Mmmm must be just me, but I found the AI a little thick at times...

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

I have a hypothesis that siege tower units can move into a fortress or citadel if the wall is broken down and connect to the inner defense walls.

Has anyone seen this?

It makes sense as I have seen them and rams in a city center once that I attacked.

On one siege the ram headed to the wall and not the gate. Screaming skull catapults took the wall down. After the wall went down the ram headed right in and headed directly to the secondary gate. I had left the outer defenses lightly held because I didnt have very many troops. I was trusting the AI would be stupid and pittle around. However after it broke the second gate and my outer defense troops were routed it had already had another ram on the way. Went straight for the gate and broke it down and slaughtered all that I had left.

I think it took me down in about 20 minutes.

It was pretty impressive.

On another citadel the AI did the same thing but I sent out some pistoliers and harried the siege tower and weakened the skeleton soldiers manning it while it was waiting for the wall to go down. After that I sent some halberdiers out to finish them off which I did. However some grave guard came up and routed the halberdiers (more on them later)

The grave guard took the ram (a battering ram units ram) and had to break down the outer gate cause he ran out of ammo trying to take the wall down. I wasnt taking things too seriously at that point and the vampire army however moved in and wore down my outer ring troops but at the same time was rapidly sending some two handers for my second gate.

I had left a halberd unit behind the second gate and the halberdiers that had routed had opened the gate but my stationary unit was so close to the gate that it didnt shut. Before I could do anything about it they had rushed the gate in force despite me having a few "good" units blocking the way and overwhelmed them.

At this time I had to rush in my mortar units into the citadel inclosure that I had placed in the fortress ring. I had a volley gun emplaced along a street that the vampire units had to come down and some halberd units guarding a side street to prevent a flank.

Three units of two hander vampires came rushing at me and I gunned them down. It was a pretty bloodbath. However more were coming and I got the volley gun moved into the citadel during the small bit of time that it had bought.

Through all this another ram was already on the way from after the first castle gates were breached. The vampires still had a significant force and enough time to beat me. It was bringing up the ram to break into the citadel and only about 50 meters short of the gate I got a lucky mortar hit on the ram.

If not for that it would probably have been my second lost citadel in the campaign.
    Last edited by Valiant Champion; January 19, 2010 at 07:49 PM.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Default Re: siege AI

Those sound like some nice battles VC I personally love sieges which are overhelming/really tight. No matter the result.