Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Garbarsardar's cookbook

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Does anyone here know what Falafel is and how to make it? Thanks in advance (and I am an imbecil if this has already been posted)...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Do you mean an "Extreme Falafel"?

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Make it extreme...

Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Can I call it the food Jihad falafel? (it...was...a...joke...<dies>)

Falafel
    # 3 cloves garlic
    # 1/2 cup minced parsley
    # 1 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
    # 1 tbl lemon juice
    # 1 tsp ground cumin
    # 1/2 tsp. each basil, corriander, thyme
    # 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
    # black pepper to taste
    # 2 slices French bread, torn, and soaked in water
    # 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    # 1 tbl extra-virgin olive oil
    # 4 pita bread rounds
    # lettuce, sliced, cucumbers, and tomato for garnish

Blend garlic and parsley in a food processor until finely minced. Add chickpeas, and process until pasty. Add lemon, cumin, basil, corriander, thyme, hot pepper sauce, and black pepper. Squeeze water out of the bread and add. Process until well mixed. Form mixture into 16 balls. Flatten each ball into 1/2 inch thick patties. Place patties on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for 10 minutes. Turn patties, bake another 10 minutes. In a large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat. Add patties, fry until golden brown. Turn patties over, add remaining oil. Fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Cut pita round in half, and open. Add two patties, and garnish. Top with the yogurt sauce.

Yogurt Sauce
    # 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    # pinch sugar
    # black pepper to taste
    # 1 tsp. dried mint
    # 2 cloves garlic
    Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.

Hot Sauce
    # 1 cup vegetable broth
    # 6 tbl. tomato paste
    # 2 tsp. red chili paste
    # 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    # 1 1/2 tbl. dried parsley
    # 1 tbl. dried cilantro(coriander)
    Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Place over medium heat and simmer until thickened slightly.

(I can't tell you how many different ways I have made falafel fall apart. From my misadventures, I have gleaned a few tips.

1. Use a binding agent - a little egg and/or some flour.
    2. Drain all ingredients completely. Avoid excess liquid.
    3. Roll the balls around in your hand a little while to develop a smooth surface. I guess this would activate the gluten. Just pressing a little ball together doesn't work for me.

If they're falling apart change something - add more flour, roll more. My batches usually start with something wrong the first few falafel, but by the time I'm into the process they're turning out well.)

And another one:

This recipe is from the Moosewood Cookbook, by M. Katzen.
    # 4 cups cooked chickpeas (2cups, soaked 1.5 hours, boiled until very soft)
    # 2 beaten eggs
    # 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
    # 1/2 cup *each*, finely minced, celery and scallions
    # 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    # 3 Tbs tahini
    # 1/2 tsp tumeric
    # 3 Tbs flour
    # 1/4 tsp cayenne, dash black pepper
    # 1.5 tsp salt

Mash chickpeas well (make sure they are cooked well enough to be mashable).

Combine with other ingredients. Chill well.

With floured hands, make the batter into one-inch-diameter balls.

Dust each one lightly with flour.

Heat a two inch pool of oil in heavy skillet to 365 degrees.

Deep fry felafel until golden brown, serve immediately.

OK, here goes! Be sure to pick prime ingredients, this is very dependend upon them! If you use crap stuff, you'll get crap results. Only for those with cooking experience.

Chive/leek with pork

(Kendanes me Choirino, is the original Greek/Cretan name)

Recipe

1 kg. Fresh Leek (or chive… dunno what’s the correct word, but I am sure you know what I am talking about)
    600 gr. – 1 kg. Pork meat (depends on how “meaty” you want it)
    ½ kg. Potatoes
    1 ½ kg. tomatoes
    1 very large onion (or two smaller ones) about 200 gr.
    1 clove of garlic
    ½ cup of fine, virgin olive oil
    1 cup broth
    2 tablespoons minced Anise
    3 tablespoons minced Parsley
    1 tablespoon of tomato paste
    1 tablespoon of flour
    juice of two medium lemons

What to do before:
    Slice pork into small (2-3 cm. wide) cubes
    Slice potatoes into grommets (not too thin)
    Unpeel tomatoes and cut them in very small pieces (very small)
    Slice onion in small pieces
    Mince the garlic
    Prepare the chive: Wash well, remove the greener parts, cut what remains in two or three pieces and then cut those in the middle.

How do I cook it
    In a very large pot, heat the oil (remember, only fine virgin olive oil – prefer Cretan oil, it’s the best <- shameless plug) and throw in the onion; when it’s an idea brown-ish, throw in the sliced pork and roast for 2-3 minutes. Throw in 1 teaspoon of anise and roast for another minute. Throw in the garlic and then the broth. Stir for a while, lower the heat (if you have a 6-scale, lower to 4) and let the meat simmer covered for about ½ hour. You’ll need to stir regularly, because if you don’t you probably will end up with something that is not quite edible. Maybe you’ll need to add some water too, but don’t overdo.

Then throw in the rest of the anise, the parsley and the tomatoes. Stir well, and let it simmer ¾ covered for 15 minutes. Try the meat. If it needs only half hour of cooking to be really tender, you are ready to proceed. If not, wait until it comes to that state. When ready, dissolve the tomato paste in one cup of water and add it to the mix. Throw in the potatoes and let everything simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the chives. You might need to add some water; you need the chives almost covered. This is the best moment to add salt and pepper. Use white pepper, goes very well with the combination. Simmer for 20-25 more minutes, stirring regularly (remember: stirring is important). When it’s done, prepare the lemon juice & flour mix: throw the flour in the lemon juice, working furiously. Remove the pot from stove, take some of the sauce (2 tbls.) from the pot, blend with the juice&flour and then throw the mix back in the pot.

Stir well and… voila! Your kendanes me choirino is ready. You have to eat it while still hot and is best served with black bread (to dip in the sauce) and a glass white wine.
    Last edited by Rosacrux redux; October 21, 2005 at 01:31 AM.

Winner of the - once upon a time - least popular TWC
    TOPIC award

Υπό την αιγίδα του Tacticalwithdrawal
    under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal

Naughty bros: Red Baron and Polemides

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Garb, did you ever get round to making proper haggis?

ok, I'm doing my 5 year-old son's halloween party at the moment so here is one 'recipe', it's easy, it's fun and it looks really impressive:

Spooky Jelly hand
    Ingredients:
    1 packet of jelly (preferably orange or lime, you want orange or green jelly)
    1 pair of latex gloves
    water
    things to put in the jelly (optional)

Method
    - wash the insides of the gloves out (some have a powder in them to make them easier to put on)
    - mix up the jelly as per the instructions (you need about a pint)
    - pour the jelly into the gloves (I did this by suspending the gloves over a bucket and attaching them to the sides of the bucket with clothes-pegs)
    - fold over the open end of the gloves and secure with clothes pegs (you need to stop the jelly leaking out before it sets)
    - put in the deep-dreeze for a while

End result is some really cool looking jelly hands, I've put plastic spiders in mine as it's halloween.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

PIEROGI

Here is one of the tested recipe for one of the favourite foods of thousands or more people in this world:

dough :
    1 pound all purpose flour
    lukewarm water
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    a pinch of salt

filling :
    2 pounds scrubbed and peeled baking potatoes
    8 ounces very well-drained white famers cheese like Polish or Russian white cheese (If not available use cottage cheese or ricotta for a medium quality substitute)
    1 large white onion, diced fine
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
    salt

The night before :
    1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water. Drain and refrigerate. Before cooking, mash potatoes roughly.
    2. Saute the onion in butter until golden and translucent. Crumble the cheese and combine it with the potatoes and onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be lumpy for proper texture.

On the day :
    1. Mound the flour onto a clean counter or board and make a small indentation in middle. Pour the egg into the indentation. Add the salt and a little bit of the lukewarm water. Knead until smooth, adding small amounts of water and flour as necessary. Dough should be soft and rolled out thin, similar to fresh pasta.
    2. Using a glass or biscuit cutter, cut out circles from the dough and keep them covered until used. Scoop about a half tablespoon of filling in your hand, squeeze any remaining liquid from it, and place it on one side of each dough circle. Fold the dough over the filling (you get a half circle) and seal by pressing with the tines of a fork or your thumb, making sure none of the filling comes through the edges. The pierogi should appear slightly overstuffed and plump. Practice on a couple to get the amount right.
    3. In small batches, drop the pierogi into boiling salty water, stir to prevent them sticking together, and cover loosely. When they float to the top, uncover the pot, lower the flame, and boil an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, brush with butter to keep from sticking and keep covered to prevent them from drying out. Serve with bacon and sour cream on the side.

Leftovers can be boiled again for a few minutes to warm them up, or fried in butter until golden brown. Sever with sour cream :wink:

This variety is called the "Russian" variety below is another variant on the filling:

Meat Pierogi as above except filling:

800 grams of boiled beef in chunks
    1 large white onion in chunks
    1 large red onion in chunks
    white bread (such as baguette) soaked in a bowl of water
    salt and pepper
    hand operate or automatic meat grinder

grind all of the above ingredients in order through the meat grinder alternating piece by piece and making sure it is mixed with abundant soaked bread. Follow the above instruction to fill the dumplings. Serve with grilled bacon bits or sour creme and chives! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Obi Wan Asterix; October 21, 2005 at 07:45 AM.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

OK, thaks for the recipe, Garb... I'll be using it soon.

And I present you what we like to call a Six Shooter... This is for one shot only (pun intended).

10 ml of tequila
    10 ml of gin
    10 ml of whisky cream
    10 ml of vodka
    10 ml of bitter
    50 ml of orange juice/pineapple juice/tomato juice (add a bit of pepper)

Mix. You can add lime and salt on the hand if you want. You can take a bite out of an apple before drinking. You can top it off with a glass of beer (Carlsberg).

Hope it puts you right under the table. Well, it sure had that effect on me, after 6 of them and a few other drinks...

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Hey Asterix, if you don't mind me asking, are you French or Italian?
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Once I remember my recipe "Extreme Falafel" I'll put it up although I have no guarantees if it beats the Scrambled Pancakes. Thanks to all of those who have contacted me on it's deliciousness!

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Lord Rahl in the interest of my stomach and of the Babe thread not taking over the fledgling Symposivm please post your "Extreme Falafel" recipe...

Quote Originally Posted by Prarara
    Hey Asterix, if you don't mind me asking, are you French or Italian?
    Hey I don't mind you asking I am an American-Argentine with mostly Polish genetic make up (I live in Belgium)
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix
    Hey I don't mind you asking I am an American-Argentine with mostly Polish genetic make up (I live in Belgium)
    Pretty cool man.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

oooooo, just stumbled onto this thread.

Iced Orange Juice......easiest thing in the world to make.

All you need is, a blender, a can of orange juice (i prefer pre-made), and some ice.

Take about 10 cubes of ice, number of cubes may vary slightly, then put them in a blender with a nice sized portion of orange juice.
    blend on high until the ice is vapourized and there you have Iced Orange Juice.

It's Icey Cold, and it has an awesome foam on the top now that is just delicious.

SIDE NOTE: you could probably add Alchohol to make it "spicey" of course I wouldn't know what to add, so do it at your own risk.

I'll tell you how to make my world famous browny icecream cake next

Not healthy at all, but it tastes like a dream
    Last edited by Ó Cathasaigh; November 02, 2005 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoROmeTe the Dacian

And I present you what we like to call a Six Shooter... This is for one shot only (pun intended).

10 ml of tequila
    10 ml of gin
    10 ml of whisky cream
    10 ml of vodka
    10 ml of bitter

Mix. You can add lime and salt on the hand if you want. You can take a bite out of an apple before drinking. You can top it off with a glass of beer (Carlsberg).

Hope it puts you right under the table. Well, it sure had that effect on me, after 6 of them and a few other drinks...
    Its at times like this I am proud to be your Father.

Will try this.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by MoROmeTe the Dacian

10 ml of tequila
    10 ml of gin
    10 ml of whisky cream
    10 ml of vodka
    10 ml of bitter

Yes I will be trying that.(when I turn 21 of course... ya...)

EDIT: Just realized I hit 1000 posts. Cool.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

LOL.

I wonder if any of you tried something special:

Boroscola (in english: winecoke)

Ingredients:

A good brand red wine (don't drink junk wine anyway!)

Coca Cola (pepsi if you are picky)

Instructions:

Grab a big 1 quart cup or some large cup.

Fill it 2/3 with wine
    Fill the other 1/3 with Coke.

Don't have to mix it, since who has time for that.

The coke takes away from the bitterness of the wine (whoever doesn't really like wine this might change your mind)

Drink it with a smile! :original:

"Advanced" individuals might try 3/4 of wine and 1/4 coke.
    This really depends on how much like wine or how fast you wanna get wasted.

Tried it and did not like it... I like my wine tasting like wine not a sugary brown non alchoolic beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabolous
    Yes I will be trying that.(when I turn 21 of course... ya...)

EDIT: Just realized I hit 1000 posts. Cool.
    Congratulations Fabulous as nobody congratulated me

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix
    Congratulations Fabulous as nobody congratulated me
    Well Congratulations to you both. This 17 year old will *legally* stay away from alcohol; legally meaning not getting caught.