Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Garbarsardar's cookbook

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

Default Re: Garbarsardar's cookbook

well i am happy to spread some indian dishes
    in the future if u have any desire of some exotic indian dish u are always welcomed
    Last edited by vikrant; September 27, 2006 at 03:38 PM.
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

I have a request. I have to cook dinner for a few people on saturday night, and one of them is a vegetarian. I was going to attempt some sort of stir fry dish, using quorn, or some other meat substitute. Does anyone have any recipes or recommendations on how to make a really good stir fry, with some sort of side dishes?

Any help is much appreciated
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rhah
    I have a request. I have to cook dinner for a few people on saturday night, and one of them is a vegetarian. I was going to attempt some sort of stir fry dish, using quorn, or some other meat substitute. Does anyone have any recipes or recommendations on how to make a really good stir fry, with some sort of side dishes?

Any help is much appreciated
    I'm sorry to use a link but vegetarianism is my country is viewed like a sin.

So...

Try this

But...

I read the recipe and I would substitute the "Wok oil" with a 3:1 mixture of vegetable/sesame oil. Plus I would add some chanterelles mushrooms since they give a "meaty" taste.

Now as side dishes I would recommend rice, daal and why not some paratha bread

As for the salad I would do something simple and refreshing like:

Youghourt and cucumber salad:

2 large cucumbers, shredded
    1 teacup "real" youghourt
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    Half an apple finely chopped
    Mint
    Salt
    Jest from 1 lemon and juice to taste...

Hope that helps...

@Vikrant:

Can you tell us something about the origin of Curry? A friend of mine from Bangladesh told me that the "original" curry is green chillies, salt and coriander and it's main use was the preservation and not the seasoning of food. Was he correct?
    Thanks

Nihil's Avatar Annihilationist

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    That was really existential dear NiIcooktherforeIamhill. I also noticed a tang of dualism penetrating this mouth watering recipe. It actually reminded me of my granmothers Smyrna meatballs
    I never knew that your grandmother was an existentialist, although, now that you mention it, this factoid does help to piece together and understand the enigma that is Ganoitallbecomescrystalclearrb.

I shall be sure to add your grandmother's meatballs to my repertoire, for my strategy is "a meatball for every occasion".

Vikrant, this stuff is amazing, I must try some of it when I'm feeling courageous. I love Indian food, but I fear my first attempts at cooking it may not be entirely error free. Could you teach us something a little more meaty? We Irish don't feel that we have been fed until we get our meat.
    Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit.
    Acting Paterfamilias of House Rububula
    Former Patron of the retired Atheist Peace
    Current Lineup: Jesus The Inane, PacSubCom, Last Roman, Evariste, I Have a Clever Name, Gabriella26, Markas and Katrina

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

@ Garb
    i dint get ur question
    but i feel ur confusing the curry with chutney
    { green chillies, salt and coriander ; Indian sauce ;supplementary to the snacks}
    the chutney is not used generally for preserving a food but chutney itself can remain in good condition for months without keeping in refrigerator
    and curry is just a seasoning of food
    and many spice were used as preservatives in certain dishes but all the food can not be preserved by using spices
    but i can list few types which lasts years
    1 pickles =its prepared in appropriate season and then kept in storage for about year to be completely homogeneous .it can lasts for two to three years
    their are many types of pickles their are sweets ,hot ,sour etc
    2 dried fish {one of my favourite}
    it lasts for about 7 to 8 months , its basically a dried out fish ,and since it doesn't contain any water it lasts very long

their are many others but I'm not aware of that u can find many variations in dishes through out Indian subcontinent

@ nihil
    how about chicken tandoori {one of my favourite but we usually eat it in restaurants cause it tastes delicious when cooked in tan-door {an enclosed barbecue } and in city like mumbai u don't have space to setup a barbecue, but it can be made in microwave or grill {but it doesn't get the smell of tan-door,charcoal }}
    its a type of kebab ,speciality of north india/Pakistan .
    heres a pic

ingredients
    10 pieces of chicken (drumsticks and/or breast with skin removed)
    1 cup plain yogurt

spices
    1 tablespoon melted butter
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon red chilly powder (adjust according to preference)
    1 tablespoon coriander powder
    1 tablespoon garlic paste
    1 tablespoon ginger paste
    1 tablespoon cumin powder
    ½ tablespoon mustard
    ½ tablespoon Garam Masala powder
    {u can also find ready-made Tandoori Chicken Spice mixture or paste in any south Asian store}

preparation
    part 1
    Mix all spices with yogurt and butter to make marinating sauce.
    Prick the chicken and apply the sauce . Cover chicken and marinate overnight inside a refrigerator (at least 4 hrs).
    {u can also add red colouring agent for better appearance }
    part 2
    Grill the chicken in regular way. (For better result, apply melted butter to the chicken just before you grill.)
    Cook chicken until brownish (or way you prefer)

thats it now serve with sliced onion (ring),vertically sliced carrot , and lemon wedges {to sprinkle over the chicken} ;i like to sprinkle little pepper over it.

**ps all my ingredient proportions {especially the hotter one} are according to local tastes so be careful while adding chillies,garlics and ginger :tooth:
    Last edited by vikrant; September 29, 2006 at 11:09 AM.
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

That's cool Vikrant, thanks! I've been meaning to try to cook something Indian for a while now, I'll give this a go soon.
    Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit.
    Current Lineup: Jesus The Inane, PacSubCom, Last Roman, Evariste, I Have a Clever Name, Gabriella26, Markas and Katrina

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Rabbit in its Sauce with Pear, Pomegranate and Peel

A fall recipe..... by Asterix

Recipe for 4-5 persons

1 Rabbit 1.2 --> 1.5 kg skinned, sectioned, including kidneys, liver and sweetmeats for best result
    2-3 Pears (preferably not too sweat ones)
    1 pomegranate, juiced (instructions below)
    2 Red Onions
    Peel from 2 Aromatic Oranges chopped finely
    3-4 Stalks of Leek
    Olive Oil - Preferably a cloudy/tasty one
    1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar
    3 Laurel leaves or 2 tablespoons of Laurel powder
    1 Large Cup of Diced Almonds (Coarsely)
    Coarse salt and Freshly Ground Pepper

(Best served with a safran and almon pillaf and red cabbage with apple or pear)

1a) (Optional for best results) Take the sectioned rabbit and rub it thouroughly with olive oil and coarsly ground salt, laurel, pomegranate juice and pepper to taste. Leave it overnight in your fridge.
    1b) As above but around 1 hour before intended consumption, lay the oiled rabbit in an oiled pan and preheat your oven to 200 degrees C. Leave sweetmeats tucket into the meat facing down towards the oiled pan.
    2) Sprinkle with brown sugar laurel and pepper.
    3) Surround with red onions and pears cut into 6-8 pieces oil them gently with a brush.
    4) Sprinkle with Orange Peel,
    5) Sprinkle with almonds chopped to varying medium size,
    6) Juice pomegranate by mashing and then sifting seeds. Be thourough a whole pomegranate is just enough juice. Add the juice evenly on the rabbit and ingredients
    7) Insert the rabbit into the oven and cook for 35 minutes "bathing" it in the increasing amounts of juice every 10 minutes for best results. If needed re-oil parts that appear "dry".
    8) After 35 minutes of cooking add leek stocks. 3 should be sliced into rings and spread over the roast and for decoration use long stalks halved as ears or in another appealing way.
    Cook until the top of the meet is crusty or for 10-15 more minutes at a slightly lower heat around 160 degrees C.
    8b) Optional (At the beginning add small young potatoes to the roast, placing them next to the onions and pears)
    9) Serve with rice pillaf or potatoes
    10) Enjoy, drink a good Pomerol or St.Emillion to match. A lighter red wine is best.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

SPANAKOPITTA

greek spinach pie;

In the following recipe you can replace the leek with onion and avoid the garlic if you are not a fan. In extremis, you can substitute the olive oil with melted butter, but please don't let me know...

Ingredints
    3-4 pounds spinach
    1 medium leek (the soft part)chopped
    6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
    1 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup dill chopped
    1/2 cup parsley chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup condenced milk
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
    5 eggs
    3/4 pound fillo dough (12-16 sheets)
    more olive oil (hehe)
    1/2 pound feta cheese crumbled

Art
    Wash spinach in plenty of water and cut in small pieces; place in bowl. Mix.
    Take spinach, a handful at a time, and squeeze out the excess water; place it in another bowl.
    Saute the leek in half the olive oil until it is a light, golden color; add the garlic.
    Add spinach; stir until all veggies. take on a light color.
    Stir in the dill, parsley, salt and pepper; cover the pot and cook until all the water thrown off by the spinach is absorbed.
    Remove from the heat; turn into a bowl, and immediately add the milk (to cool the spinach).
    Beat the eggs in another bowl and add the cheese to them; add to the cooled spinach; mix well.
    Line a pan with half you fillo sheets (must be 6-8), brushing each sheet with the olive oil before topping it with the next sheet. Do not trim the overhanging sections.
    Pour in the spinach mixture, spreading it evenly over the fillo.
    Fold the part of the phyllo that extends out of the pan back over the filling.
    Lay the remaining phyllo on top, again brushing each sheet with olive oil before adding the next.
    Now trim the overlap.
    Brush additional olive oil on top of the pie and score it into square or diamond-shaped serving pieces.
    Bake for 30 to 45 minutes in a preheated 300 F oven; let it stand for 30 minutes before serving.

Take a deep brath. Dive

SPANAKOPITTA
    Much thanks.

SPANAKOPITTA

greek spinach pie;

In the following recipe you can replace the leek with onion and avoid the garlic if you are not a fan. In extremis, you can substitute the olive oil with melted butter, but please don't let me know...

Ingredints
    3-4 pounds spinach
    1 medium leek (the soft part)chopped
    6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
    1 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup dill chopped
    1/2 cup parsley chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup condenced milk
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
    5 eggs
    3/4 pound fillo dough (12-16 sheets)
    more olive oil (hehe)
    1/2 pound feta cheese crumbled

Art
    Wash spinach in plenty of water and cut in small pieces; place in bowl. Mix.
    Take spinach, a handful at a time, and squeeze out the excess water; place it in another bowl.
    Saute the leek in half the olive oil until it is a light, golden color; add the garlic.
    Add spinach; stir until all veggies. take on a light color.
    Stir in the dill, parsley, salt and pepper; cover the pot and cook until all the water thrown off by the spinach is absorbed.
    Remove from the heat; turn into a bowl, and immediately add the milk (to cool the spinach).
    Beat the eggs in another bowl and add the cheese to them; add to the cooled spinach; mix well.
    Line a pan with half you fillo sheets (must be 6-8), brushing each sheet with the olive oil before topping it with the next sheet. Do not trim the overhanging sections.
    Pour in the spinach mixture, spreading it evenly over the fillo.
    Fold the part of the phyllo that extends out of the pan back over the filling.
    Lay the remaining phyllo on top, again brushing each sheet with olive oil before adding the next.
    Now trim the overlap.
    Brush additional olive oil on top of the pie and score it into square or diamond-shaped serving pieces.
    Bake for 30 to 45 minutes in a preheated 300 F oven; let it stand for 30 minutes before serving.

Take a deep brath. Dive

Nothing like a Spanakopita after some domestic violence :tooth:
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix
    Nothing like a Spanakopita after some domestic violence :tooth:
    So prophetic, so true. Alas there is no spinach on this island...

ALternative recipe for SPANAKOPITTA:

Post a picture of a bowing woman on an internet forum. Leave for a day or so. It will mysteriously turn into SPANAKOPITTA when you least expect it!
    Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil

Post a picture of a bowing woman on an internet forum. Leave for a day or so. It will mysteriously turn into SPANAKOPITTA when you least expect it!
    ROTFL

I think the amount of ingredients and their quality does give grounds for suspicion
    Last edited by Obi Wan Asterix; October 16, 2006 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil

We treat our women well and our pies better dear Nihil.

(mumbles about the spinacherella myth and midnight...)

Not my recipe but didn't have time to write mine atm... will edited in time

One of my favourite dishes:

Singapore Mai Fun

1 (6 ounces) package skinny rice noodles (py mai fun)
    1/2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
    3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    cooking spray
    1 tablespoon peanut oil, divided
    1 large egg, beaten lightly
    1/2 cup red bell peppers, cut in strips
    1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    3-5 cloves garlic, minced
    8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced (I used 8 more oz of shrimp; you could also use cubed tofu)
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 cup sliced green onion (1-inch slices)
    1/2 lb snow peas, sliced thinly
    1/2 lb mung bean sprouts

1. Cook rice noodles according to package directions, leaving out any fat or salt that may be called for.
    2. Combine broth, soy sauce, sugar and salt, and stir togetehr till sugar dissolves.
    3. Heat large nonstick skillet over med-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray.
    4. Add 1 tsp oil.
    5. Add egg; stir-fry 30 seconds or until soft-scrambled, stirring constantly.
    6. Remove from pan, and set aside.
    7. Wipe down pan with cloth or paper towel.
    8. Heat remaining oil (about 2 tsp) in pan over med-high heat.
    9. Add bell pepper, ginger, red pepper, and garlic; stir-fry 15 seconds.
    10. Add snow peas, bean sprouts, curry, and shrimp; stir fry two or three minutes, until shrimp is nearly done.
    11. Stir in egg, noodles and broth mixture; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
    12. Sprinkle with green onions.

6 servings

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Thought I'd resurrect this thread...although I don't have a recipe for anything right now. I'll try to think of something.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

This is a great thread! Garbie tought me to make his grandmothers maginificient stew here!

Do you have any grilling secrets you would like to share Garbie?

Content Emeritus

I have a grill and I LOVE grilling! Here is something that people should try out.

Sweet Teriyaki Salmon

Ingredients

- A salmon fillet (if you can get FRESH Pacific salmon then that's a plus!)
    - Syrup (that's right, pancake and waffle syrup!)
    - Teriyaki Sauce (or some sort of a Teriyaki marinade)
    - Black pepper (freshly ground is best)

Alright, so I know there is a good amount of people that don't like fish that much (I for one am not one of those!), but one meal that I've come up with is one that I believe even people who dislike fish will enjoy. The meal is sweet teriyaki salmon. I am the sort of person that doesn't like to have the exact same meal twice (unless it's just THAT good!) and so whenever I am going to grill something I try to modify what I marinade things in to change the way it tastes in the end. In order to make this meal you'll first have to get yourself some salmon. I emphasize FRESH salmon because the fresher the salmon (or any meat for that matter) the better it will taste. Since my parents live up in Alaska and my dad fishes all the time up there I get regular packages full of fresh Pacific salmon (many kinds). Make sure that your salmon doesn't have its skin and if it isn't a sharp fillet knife will cut through it easily. If you don't have one then you'll have to use a lot of muscle and patience.

The next step is to take your salmon and marinade it. In this marinade you'll need some teriyaki sauce (or a teriyaki marinade), some good 'ol syrup (and I guess for you Canucks that'll be maple syrup), and a lot of freshly ground black pepper. If you want to accent the salmon with some lemon or lime that would be a good addition too. So get all of those ingredients, mix them up, and then put the salmon in it. From there put the salmon in the fridge for a minimum of an hour (a three hour marinade is best). Oh, and putting olive oil on it will help too (I put olive oil on everything!). After your salmon has marinated enough it is time to put it on the grill!

Now, personally I like to heat up my grill to its hottest before I put anything on. Doing that will ensure that you'll get nice grill marks on your food when you slap it on. So if you have your grill on high heat and put the salmon on you'll put those grill marks on it (and everyone likes grill marks). Give the grill marks about a minute or two a side (I always pour the rest of my marinade over the salmon after I've grilled one side, but that's just me) and then turn down the grill to a medium heat. With salmon you almost want to undercook it. Overcooked salmon doesn't taste nearly as good and will be too dry to enjoy to the fullest. For me, whenever I think to myself that, "It should be ready in another few minutes", I take the salmon off then. Salmon can be eaten raw and it's still pretty good. So give your salmon about 5 minutes on each side on medium heat and it should be done.

What you should taste when it's done is a juicy salmon (the more fresh it is the less "fishy" it tastes) that is very sweet with a nice flavor of teriyaki and a good punch of spice at the end. Do what you want with sides...I don't care!

Enjoy!

Next time I'll give a recipe for a stout marinated steak!
    Last edited by Lord Rahl; June 19, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    I have a grill and I LOVE grilling! Here is something that people should try out.

Sweet Teriyaki Salmon

Ingredients

A salmon fillet (if you can get FRESH Pacific salmon then that's a plus!)
    Syrup (that's right, pancake and waffle syrup!)
    Teriyaki Sauce (or some sort of a Teriyaki marinade)
    Black pepper (freshly ground is best)

Alright, so I know there is a good amount of people that don't like fish that much (I for one am not one of those!), but one meal that I've come up with is one that I believe even people who dislike fish will enjoy. The meal is sweet teriyaki salmon. I am the sort of person that doesn't like to have the exact same meal twice (unless it's just THAT good!) and so whenever I am going to grill something I try to modify what I marinade things in to change the way it tastes in the end. In order to make this meal you'll first have to get yourself some salmon. I emphasize FRESH salmon because the fresher the salmon (or any meat for that matter) the better it will taste. Since my parents live up in Alaska and my dad fishes all the time up there I get regular packages full of fresh Pacific salmon (many kinds). Make sure that your salmon doesn't have its skin and if it isn't a sharp fillet knife will cut through it easily. If you don't have one then you'll have to use a lot of muscle and patience.

The next step is to take your salmon and marinade it. In this marinade you'll need some teriyaki sauce (or a teriyaki marinade), some good 'ol syrup (and I guess for you Canucks that'll be maple syrup), and a lot of freshly ground black pepper. If you want to accent the salmon with some lemon or lime that would be a good addition too. So get all of those ingredients, mix them up, and then put the salmon in it. From there put the salmon in the fridge for a minimum of an hour (a three hour marinade is best). Oh, and putting olive oil on it will help too (I put olive oil on everything!). After your salmon has marinated enough it is time to put it on the grill!

Now, personally I like to heat up my grill to its hottest before I put anything on. Doing that will ensure that you'll get nice grill marks on your food when you slap it on. So if you have your grill on high heat and put the salmon on you'll put those grill marks on it (and everyone likes grill marks). Give the grill marks about a minute or two a side (I always pour the rest of my marinade over the salmon after I've grilled one side, but that's just me) and then turn down the grill to a medium heat. With salmon you almost want to undercook it. Overcooked salmon doesn't taste nearly as good and will be too dry to enjoy to the fullest. For me, whenever I think to myself that, "It should be ready in another few minutes", I take the salmon off then. Salmon can be eaten raw and it's still pretty good. So give your salmon about 5 minutes on each side on medium heat and it should be done.

What you should taste when it's done is a juicy salmon (the more fresh it is the less "fishy" it tastes) that is very sweet with a nice flavor of teriyaki and a good punch of spice at the end. Do what you want with sides...I don't care!

Enjoy!

Next time I'll give a recipe for a stout marinated steak!
    Recipe noted! Will try it out soon!

Thanks Rahl... about to add one of my own in these coming days

Were are you Garbie? Show up so we can gives you a hug

BTW - that cloth becomes you Rahl

Content Emeritus

Yes, do indeed try it out Asty! But make sure that you grill it! Baking it in an oven might be OK but grilling meat basically bests everything else. I've bought some mesquite wood chips to use in my grill so they will smoke and add more flavor to everything I grill. I recommend them!

And the loincloth may need to be traded in for a new one because the word on the street says that my junk keeps escaping like a snake out of a zoo.