Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Garbarsardar's cookbook

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Garbarsardar's cookbook

Perfect, I have a bottle of Ouzo and no idea what to do with it.

Edit: Im gonna give this a whirl myself, wish me luck and hope that my house doesnt burn down.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    Soutzoukakia for Asterix

Now, people will go into a nationalist fit in at least two countries I have in mind regarding this dishe's origin, so let's just say that this recipe is based on my recollection of my Granny's cooking. My granma was an interesting figure. She was born in Costantinople (Istanbul) in 1898, survived two Balkan wars, The disasters of '22 two World Wars, a civil war, atwo dictatorships, and died peacefully watching a documentary about Kangaroos.

During the WW2 she was hiding in her house a Spanish Jew, a Bulgarian communist and a German deserter, not at the same time though...I think this Jewish type had some input on her cooking style because she switched the name of boiled rice from pilaf to paela in the family culinary vocabulary...

So here it is :

500g minced meat (lamb or beef)
    130g bread, soaked in white cooking wine

2 cloves of garlic, grated or crushed
    1 heaped tsp of ground cumin
    1 small onion, grated
    half tsp salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1 medium egg
    1 dessert spoon olive oil
    Oregano
    Fresh ripe tomatoes

Squeeze the bread dry, place in a bowl with all the other ingredients and mix together with your hands. Leave the mixture for half an hour in the fridge then shape into cigar shapes (a good thumb size). Put into a shallow oven dish and add equal amounts of parboiled potatoes, cut into similar sizes.

Now take 1 tsp of cumin seeds, half tsp salt, 1 clove of garlic, a small onion, a glass of white wine, half a glass of olive oil and a 400g tin of tomatoes, put all into a liquidiser and liquidise. Taste for salt then half fill the tin with water and add. Liquidise again then pour all over the meatballs and potatoes. Cook at Gas Mark 6, 180C for about an hour, checking after 30 minutes.

The final touch:

10' before cooking is finished empty a large quantity (around 500g) of thick youghourt on top and use the grill to form a crust.

Serve with (non-basmati) rice or fresh bread.

White wine or Ouzo.
    Garb!!! Thank you very very much!!! I will print it now and make it :original: This is trully a great pleasure indeed.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I hate this topic. I am hungry.

:laughing:
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

Garlic Bread a lį Libertine!

What you need:
    4 Cloves of Garlic
    1 stick of French Bread

What you actually do....
    Take the Cloves of garlic and put a bit of butter on the top, then wrap them up in tin foil - stick em in the oven for 20 minutes.
    Take the French Bread and slice it up as one normally would and put olive oil on both sides, leave the bread in the ovne for about 10 minutes.

How to Eat this tasty morsel!
    Take the Cloves of Garlic out of the oven after the 20 minutes, then unwrap them and place them on the table - do the same with the bread - take your slice(s) of bread and a clove of garlic. Then using a knife literally butter the garlic onto the bread, sprinkle some salt on and Hey Presto! a Fantastic starter a lį Libertine!!
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

my dad makes something like that. very nummy
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

The guide to the student's kitchen - Rez style.

WARNING! what you are about to read may indeed destroy your arteries from the mere thought of the subject!

Alright guys im the first to admit im a terrible cook - but with this potent baby i really got it right. Now there will be skeptics, i promise you that. But we have to work past the fear and the cynicism! Believe and you will be set free!

Lo unto thee i present to the masses.... The Waffle Burger

Ingredients:

2 potato waffles - preferably Birdseye

2 Quarter pounder burgers - Preferably the best you can afford (marks and spencer are good)

2 pieces of white bread - NO buns, i said NO BUNS. This must be done with bread to really feel it!

Ketchup - Heinz all the way

1 can of coke - nothing goes with a waffle burger better than coke

Tender loving care - lets face it the burger deserves it

Cooking instructions:

Set up the bread on a plate to the side of your frying pan so its ready. remove the crusts if you must.

Put the burgers into a big frying pan first without any oil - the fat of the burger should take care of you. Cook on a low heat for as long as it takes. Patience makes it taste better as a slow cook really puts the love into the meat. Keep it on low untill you've lost all trace of the pink and they are nice and soft.

Now make sure you don't go draining any of the grease/fat/juices. We need them for the waffles. Ok now we add the waffles, they don't need as much care as they can't really poison you. So i turn the heat up now, it also makes the burgers nice and a little crispy on the outside. Put it on a medium high heat and make sure the waffles are swimming in the burger juice - adds to the flavour.

I cook the waffles till they are a little crispy and press the middle to check theyve been cooked properly - if it burns your finger you're doing it right!

Ok now turn the heat off and prepare for the VERY specific order of waffle/burger placement.

one piece of bread gets a waffle on the bottom and a burger on top of that. The other piece of bread gets a burger on it then a waffle on top of that. Now the ketchup goes on the piece with the waffle on top.

Then comes another crucial stage, you put the non ketchuped side on top of the other. But make sure you press down to pack everything into each other. Your bread should have a handprint on it when your done.

Now take a chilled can of coke out of the fridge and sit down with your feast. The correct way of eating is to make the first bite the best. Tear annoying bread out of the way to make sure the first bite gets a bit from ALL the layers.

Lastly the sounds of a lion tearing apart a gazelle are a requirement during consumption.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it people the burger of kings. I urge you to try it, its cheap and amazing.

CaptainCernick's Avatar Trouvčre
    In between Holland, Germany, France aaand... Luxemburg!

The only thing I'm good at is lasagna. Not a new recipe, but slightly different and much better than the ones you'd usually find.

The secret to making a good lasagna (or spaghetti, for that matter) is to not only use tomatoes (or tomato pulp, for sissies) and (minced)meat, but add many other vegetables as well. All too often have I eaten a lasagna with only those ingredients in the red sauce. It can be so much better.

Start with the minced meat and the onions, then add some bacon. As for the vegetables: mushrooms (never too little of those, BTW, yummie!), peppers (green, red, orange, yellow or all of them!), courgette, carrots, aubergine, any leftovers,... Remember, lasagna and spaghetti were originally meant as just a bunch of leftovers mixed together with some pastas.
    Spices should be added, of course: pepper, red (grinded) pepper, a leave or two of basilic, more pepper, a tiny bit of rosemary, thyme... just go through the available herbs and throw in anything that smells good .
    And at the last, NEVER EVER mix the sauce, no matter how much the kids nag about it, the little bits and pieces are what makes the sauce delicious!
    For the white sauce: don't make it too thick, the pastas will soak up a lot of liquid. And don't forget to use milk, not water, to add cheese and spice the white sauce as well: black pepper, white pepper and nutmeg (no need for salt).
    The layering is pretty straightforward: start with red sauce, then a layer of pastas, white sauce, pastas again, red sauce, pastas and white sauce. Top off with Gruyere cheese and into the oven for half an hour at 180°C.
    Hmmmm....*wipes drool off keyboard*

And, for a light, tasty and extremely simple starter do this:

Take a French flute or baguette or an Italian ciabatta and cut off pieces of about two fingers thick. Put them in the oven for a while, until they're a bit rough. Take a piece of garlic and rub it over the pieces of bread (their time in the oven should allow this), do the same with a tomato halve. To finish it off, sprinkle some wine vinegar and olive oil on top. If you like, you can also put some pepper on them.
    This is perfect as a starter or as an aperitif.

Siggy pic courtesy of the uncomparably artistic Atterdag.
    Tacticalwithdrawal
    is my patron.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

"Anyone who breaks his promise is a coward and anyone who refuses his pilaf, let his spoon break"
    Turkish saying.

Pilaf rice with dill and lemon fragrance.

One hour before the cooking place the basmati in ice cold water. You can add orange and tangerine peel in the water after you sueeze them slightly to release the perfume.

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
    2/3 cup basmati
    1 cup water
    juice of 4 lemons
    the peel of the said lemon
    salt to taste
    3 tablespoons finely chopped, fresh dill

Cooking Instructions
    1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
    2. In a small ovenproof pot, heat the oil tenderly add the shallots and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until they become translucent but not brown.
    3. Add the rice and stir to coat evenly with oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
    4. Add the water, lemon juice and bring to a boil over high heat.
    5. As soon as the water comes to a boil, cover the pot and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
    6. Add the salt, pepper and dill and fluff with a fork in a tentative fluffy way.

Meatballs, almost Persian. (rez will kill me)

Ingredients
    500 grams Ground lamb
    2 medium Onions
    Large handful of fresh mint
    Large handful of fresh watercress
    Salt
    Turmeric
    Egg
    Butter
    1 ripeTomato
    1/2 cupSplit peas
    1 cup Rice

Cooking Instructions
    1.Boil peas and rice in pan - with not too much water for 5-10 min. Chop onion with mint and watercress. Add about 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. turmeric on rice, then add onions and mix with meat. Add 1 egg. Mix well.

2.Coarsely chop 1 medium onion and put in pan with a little oil and about 3 tbsp. butter. Saute, then add about 1/2 tsp. turmeric, 3 tbsp. tomato, salt (1/2 tsp.), and water (about 1/2 saucepan). Bring to a boil.

3.Make palm-sized meatballs and place in boiling mixture. Cook about 1/2 hour. Serve in bowls with broth. Yogurt and cucumber pickles on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    "Anyone who breaks his promise is a coward and anyone who refuses his pilaf, let his spoon break"
    Turkish saying.

Pilaf rice with dill and lemon fragrance.

One hour before the cooking place the basmati in ice cold water. You can add orange and tangerine peel in the water after you sueeze them slightly to release the perfume.

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
    2/3 cup basmati
    1 cup water
    juice of 4 lemons
    the peel of the said lemon
    salt to taste
    3 tablespoons finely chopped, fresh dill

Cooking Instructions
    1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
    2. In a small ovenproof pot, heat the oil tenderly add the shallots and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until they become translucent but not brown.
    3. Add the rice and stir to coat evenly with oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
    4. Add the water, lemon juice and bring to a boil over high heat.
    5. As soon as the water comes to a boil, cover the pot and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
    6. Add the salt, pepper and dill and fluff with a fork in a tentative fluffy way.

Meatballs, almost Persian. (rez will kill me)

Ingredients
    500 grams Ground lamb
    2 medium Onions
    Large handful of fresh mint
    Large handful of fresh watercress
    Salt
    Turmeric
    Egg
    Butter
    1 ripeTomato
    1/2 cupSplit peas
    1 cup Rice

Cooking Instructions
    1.Boil peas and rice in pan - with not too much water for 5-10 min. Chop onion with mint and watercress. Add about 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. turmeric on rice, then add onions and mix with meat. Add 1 egg. Mix well.

2.Coarsely chop 1 medium onion and put in pan with a little oil and about 3 tbsp. butter. Saute, then add about 1/2 tsp. turmeric, 3 tbsp. tomato, salt (1/2 tsp.), and water (about 1/2 saucepan). Bring to a boil.

3.Make palm-sized meatballs and place in boiling mixture. Cook about 1/2 hour. Serve in bowls with broth. Yogurt and cucumber pickles on the side.
    My stomach grumbled in worship! Thank you Garb from the bottom of my heart (the part that touches the stomach)

I will make it tonight or tommorrow!
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Some of us have children. And most of us would like to keep them away from MacDonalds. Here's a healthier alternative then...

FALAFEL WITH CILANTRO (coriander) YOGURT IN PITA BREAD

1 cup plain yogurt (you can find Fage in Sainsburys)
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
    1 cup chopped onion
    5 large garlic cloves, chopped (or less ifthe kids are too young)
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or not)

2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
    3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 large egg

Olive oil
    4 warm pita breads, top third cut off
    Sliced tomatoes
    Crisp lettuce leaves

Whisk yogurt, 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup onion, 1 garlic clove, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne in medium bowl to blend; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Blend garbanzo beans, 3 tablespoons flour, cumin, remaining 1/2 cup cilantro, 4 garlic cloves and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne in processor until almost smooth. Add egg and remaining 3/4 cup onion and blend, using on/off turns, until onion is finely chopped. Transfer mixture to bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Turn patties in remaining 1/2 cup flour to coat on both sides.

Pour enough oil into heavy large skillet to coat bottom; heat over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until crisp and golden, about 8 minutes per side. Open pita breads; slide 1 patty, sliced tomato and lettuce into each. Spoon in some yogurt mixture.

Close eyes. Pray they like it.

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

well, the kids have heard the description and said yug!

but they were very impressed it came all the way from Taiwan so thy're ready to try it (and Peter (the 5 year old) says thankyou for sending it )
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Give my greetings to Peter. And next time tell them that I am a friend doing research for McDonald (the man, himself) and we want to try a secret new recipe that no other child has tasted before. Trust me, it works... :wink:

And for dear Tostig.

Thai chicken curry

1.Green Curry paste

Ingredients:

2 fresh green chillies
    1 small onion
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 lime, juice and rind
    1 stalk lemon grass (if you can find it)
    1 clove garlic
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 cup fresh coriander, stalks & leaves
    1 tbls grated fresh ginger
    2 tbls oil (vegetable)

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a food processor. Blend for a few minutes until well processed (duh).

2. The rest

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    2-3 tsp. curry paste
    12 oz. boned chicken breasts, skinned and cut in strips.
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. minced garlic
    1 c. broccoli flowerets
    1/4 c. salted peanuts
    1 can of coconut milk
    hot rice

Directions:

Blanch broccoli flowerets 1 minute, drain. Heat oil in large skillet or wok over low heat; add curry paste and cook 1 minute, stirring to combine curry and oil. Turn heat to medium-high and add chicken, sugar, soy sauce, salt and garlic. Stir-fry until chicken is done. Stir in Coconut milk. Add broccoli and nuts and cook until just heated through. Serve over cooked rice. You are not a student anymore...

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

one of my favourite recipes, really easy to make too:

Pepper Crusted Fish in a warm Lime and Coriander Vinaigrette

Ingredients
    • 1 heaped tablespoon coarsely crushed black peppercorns
    • 1 heaped tablespoon flour seasoned with a little salt
    • 2x200g (7oz) portions of fresh cod fillet (any white fish will do)
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • for the vinaigrette
      • 1 clove garlic, peeled
      • 2 level teaspoons coarse ground mustard
      • grated rind and juice of 2 limes
      • 4 tablespoons of olive oil
      • salt and freshly ground black pepper
      • lots fresh chopped corriander leaves

Instructions
    1. mix together the crushed peppercorns and seasoned flour
    2. Remove the skin from the fish, wipe with a paper towel then coat with the flour/peppercorn mix pressing well on both sides
    3. Crush the garlic into a bowl and stir in the mustard, lime rind and juice, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, seasoning and coriander
    4. heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan. When hot add the fish and fry for 3 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden
    5. Keeping the heat high, pour the vinaigrette around the fish and maintain heat to reduce.

Serve wth new potatoes, green beans and a bottle of dry white wine (particularly Sauvignon Blanc).
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

More Guacamole by Asterix

2 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted
    4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (aka coriander)
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
    4 large chilies seeded, chopped (use chilles that you like and to your taste in terms of spice)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a cloudly one is better)
    2 Medium cherry tomatoes cubed.

Using fork, mash avocado with lime juice in small bowl. Add cilantro, chopped onion, chopped garlic, serrano chilies, oil and salt and stir to combine.

Garnish with cubed tomato. Add more lime juice. Consume within 10 hours.

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Tomorrow I shall be making boeuf bourguignon, except that I shall be using horse instead of beef. I shall post the recipe if it tastes good!
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Grandma's cucumber salad
    With summer advancing, I know of no solad that is more refreshingly delicious than my grandma's cucumber salad.

What you need:
    - 1 large cucumber
    - an onion, preferably a spring onion, but half a fresh normal onion is also good (unfortunately I will have to make mine with a mangy old one)
    - two teaspoons of salt

For the dressing:
    - vinegar
    - oil
    - salt, pepper
    - a teaspoon of honey

Take the cucumber, cut the ends off and peel it. Cut it in half. Then take a slicer (I don't know what it's really called but just something that will slice things very finely: you normally find them in metal cheese grating boards) or alternatively a small, very sharp knife, so sharp that you could shave with it (note: if you do have a knife that you have actually shaved with, don't use it. That's just disgusting). Then slice the cucumber into very fine rounds (it's easier woith a slicer, as you only have to slide the cucumber back and forht over the blade). But the cucumber into a bowl and then dump the 2 teaspoons of salt onto the cucumbers and mix. Euch! I here you exclaim. Don't worry, after half an hour you wash the salt of the cucumber with a sieve, so there's no strong salty flavour remaining. The salt takes the water out of the cucumber, and why you have to do that I don't know, but it's my grandma's recipe and if you don't like it you can stick it up your jumper.
    After having washed salt off the cucumbers, rinse the bowl out and put the cucumbers back in the bowl. Finely chop up the onion and add to the bowl. Now make the dressing.
    Take a cup or a mug.
    Pour 2 tablespoons of vinegar and two tablespoons of oil inot the cup. Add the salt and pepper and the teaspoon of honey. Sit and add a table spoon of water. POur onto the cucumbersand onions and mix together.
    Serves three.

Grab, shouldn't you edit the index on the front page?
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Dan_Grr's Avatar Dan the Man

Yummi
    Of all the disorders of the soul, envy is the only one no one confesses to. - Plutarch, c. A.D. 46-120

Under the wise patronage of cunobelin

I thank you.

As promised:
    Cheval bourguignon
    This dish is normally called boeuf bourguignon, but I had some horse steaks in the freezer and I thought I would experiment. Though this may be shocking to most Brits, Yanks, Aussies and others, horse is a most delicious meat, very similar to beef, only with a tiny sweet twang and more tender. What's more, it's cheaper as well. However, horse meat is practically impossible to get in Anglophone countries, as the horse is a companion animal and it is thought that it should not be eaten (though horse meat is sometimes sold as dog food, which is hypocritical to say the least). However, it is perfectly fine to return to the more traditional beef.

Ingredients:
    2 horse steaks (if using beef, try to get something like braising steak, but ordinary frying steak will do if you're in a hurry)
    2 onions, sliced
    150g of mushrooms, chopped
    150g carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
    garlic
    200ml of water
    a teaspoon of powdered beef stock
    half a bottle of red wine, Burgundy is best, though I used some cheapo-plonk called Syrah-Merlot.
    2 tbsp flour
    salt and pepper
    rosemary, basil and thyme
    1 tbsp of tomato paste
    4 rashers of bacon, chopped

Cut up the meat into thick cubes, season with salt and pepper and place in a saucepan,casserole dish or pressure cooker. Add a large knob of butter and a touch of oil to prevent the butter from burning. Stir the meat until seared (not cooked through) and remove from the pan and put in a bowl
    Add the bacon, onions, garlic and mushrooms to the saucepan. Add 2 tbsp of flour and fry to sweat the onions. Add half a bottle of red wine (you can drink the rest later), the beef stock and the water. Bring to the boil, then add the beef and carrots when simmering. Add the herbs (I used dried, but you may prefer fresh) and the tomato paste.
    Now comes the point where you have to choose. When I was making this on sunday, I hadn't read the recipe the whole way through (very bad idea, I know) before cooking. So it was 9 pm and I read the next step: cook for 2-3 hours. I wasn't going to wait that long! However, I was using plain old frying steak, which doesn't take as long to cook, so I just covered the pot for an hour and let it cook.
    If you are using braising steak or something similar (which is actually recommended as it will give you the tenderest meat in the end), then you have two options. Either you have a pressure cooker, so just seal it up and leave it to cook for an hour (you know how it works), or you use a casserole dish. If this case, just cover and leave for 2-3 hours.
    Serve when ready with creamy mashed potato to soak up the delicious sauce (you can use white bread if you prefer).
    And voilą!

Very nice dear Henry V. I am a little worrid about the boiling though...it usually incolve a long cooking period afterwards to avoid the spongy feeling from the "water infusion"... What if you went with the cooking (stir frying) straight?

Anyway, here is a nice way to spend your evening. Paper wraps are extremely thin wraps wich aftr soaking in water you can fill and eat on the spot with all the goodie you have in mind. I prefer to prepare a number of meat/vegetable dishes, lay them on a large table and start filling and eating:

First you need those (practically in any asian food store)

also some sauces, you can either make or buy:

Sweet chilli sauce
    2 small chillies, minced (if you want it really hot)
    4 Thai (birds eye) chillies, finely chopped
    1 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup Water
    1/2 cup Rice vinegar (White Vinegar)
    2 tablespoons Finely Minced Garlic
    1/2 teaspoon Sweet paprika
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
    1 tablespoon Fresh lime or lemon juice

In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the chillies, sugar, water, vinegar, garlic, paprika and salt. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the liquid reduces slightly and thickens to a light syrup. Remove from the heat and stir in the fish sauce and lime or lemon juice. If you want a thicker sauce still you can stir in a 1/2 teaspoon of flour mixed in with some water towards the end of the simmer.

Peanut sauce

1/2 cup peanut butter (always, always unsweetened !!)
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon garlic cloves, minced
    1/8 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes
    2 spring onions, sliced
    Salt and sugar to taste

Heat slightly and mix

Now for the stuffing:

Any kind of meat will do. Make sure you cut it into thin stripes and quickly stir fry with addition of some soy sauce and a tiny bit of sugar. I like to soak it in pineapple juice before stir frying for about 30'.
    Vegetables: What have you.
    Bean sprouts, boiled cabbage, fresh spinach , slightly fried onions, a ball of sesame seeds, mushrooms, cucumber use whatever comes in your mind as long as it it is thinly sliced. The sauces will cover up any mistake...

Fill a large bowl with lukewarm water and soak 1 sheet of rice paper until paper becomes soft and pliable. Shake carefully or pat off excess water. Lay the sheet down on a plate or cutting board and fill the center with a little bit of everything, and about 2 tablespoons of sauce. Wrap up like a burrito and lay seam-side down on plate. Repeat process. Use the remaining sauces as dip.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Baltars Brisket

This is a receipe I usually make for family gatherings during the holiday season.

1 - 8 to 10 pound brisket (trim is ok, but I actually prefer some fat, helps with the flavor)
    1/2 cup dry red wine (Cab or merlot)
    2 tablespoon molasses
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    2 teaspoon peppercorns
    2 tablespoon salt
    10 cloves of garlic (5 crushed, 5 peeled)
    4 onions
    4 stalks celery
    dash pepper
    heavy aluminum foil
    large foil roasting pan

1. Make a marinade of the wine, mollasses, soy sauce, peppercorns, salt, 5 cloves crushed garlic, onions, celery. (Chop onions and celery to small pieces)
    2. Using a small kitchen knife, cut enough pouches in top surface of brisket to place peeled garlic cloves. Place peeled garlic cloves in pouches.
    3. Place some marinade on surface of heavy aluminum foil.
    4. Place brisket on heavy aluminum foil,(on top of marinade) leave excess around edges to wrap the entire piece for cooking.
    5. Spread remaining marinade on the surfaces of brisket.
    6. Wrap brisket TIGHTLY with heavy foil. Seal all openings. Place TIGHTLY wrapped brisket in roasting pan. Cover roasting pan tightly as well. This locks in the moisture and aroma!!!!
    7. Place in fridge to marinate, I suggest 72 hours but I have left them to marinate for as long as a week. You may have to experiment with marinade time.
    8. Cook at 200 degrees Farenheit (F) for 8 hours (note: water boils at 212 F, do not boil or all this work will have been lost).
    9. Enjoy!!! If you have any red wine remaining from step #1 it would go good with the brisket.
    Last edited by Gaius Baltar; June 16, 2006 at 08:24 PM.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers