Thread: Befuddled by installation method

Default Befuddled by installation method

First, to explain what I actually did: I installed the mod from this post. I renamed the teutonic file as instructed, and installed the mod into the same folder (h:/games/steam/steamapps/common/medieval ii total war/mods), then attempted to start the mod via the launcher and starting the tuetonic campaign (note that I tried this via opening the launcher both from Steam and from the Medieval 2 folder), which is where the problems start.

The game starts, and the loading screen is warhammer-themed; all good so far. However, it never actually gets to the menu. Instead, the game shuts down after the loading screen, returning to the desktop. Clearly, I've messed up somewhere along the line.

I've looked around the forums, but frankly it's only made me more confused. There's talk that all the 1.02 links are just patches, and I need to install 1.01 and patch it to 1.02, but given that the 1.02 file I downloaded was in the realm of 225 mb, I doubt that's the case. Maybe I downloaded the wrong 1.02 file? There appear to be six of them, and while two are different mirrors, the ones listed in this post seem to imply that I should download all of them.

There's also the fact that I'm using Steam for all of this, which apparently causes problems because I don't have a Kingdoms folder; I just have a fully-patched M2TW with the Kingdoms campaigns in the mods folder.

In summary: I'm hopelessly confused, and I could really use some help.

Also, as a side note; is it possible I could replace a different campaign than the Teutonic one with this mod? Only the teutonic mod allows me to play the one Pagan faction in the entire game and, as a devout witch myself, I find that prospect very attractive.

EDIT: Looking around more, I'm starting to get the sense that the file is meant to be downloaded in parts. Is that so? If so, is that explained anywhere?
    Last edited by Imrix; January 16, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: Befuddled by installation method

First of all, Welcome to the TWC! Any questions you have, don't be afraid to ask.

Now, here's the difference between the two installations:

1. The one you downloaded (the 225 mb one) is a patch for version 1.01. That means, if you installed version 1.01, just install this patch and it will upgrade your mod to version 1.02

2. The four other files (not the sound patch ones) are for people who don't have version 1.01. Seeing as version 1.01 is no longer available, people who are now just downloading this mod have to use those files. However, if anyone who does NOT have version 1.01 (or the sound patch) I'll be more than happy to upload it for you guys in one easy install.

Ahhh... Somebody might want to explain that, then. Especially the part that it's four files in one; generally, if I see four links under the heading of "where to download tihs mod", I assume they're all the same file under seperate mirrors in case one goes down. It was silly of me, considering the way it's laid out, but one can never be too clear.

So, I download those four files, and nothing else? Is there anything I'll need that they don't include?
    Last edited by Imrix; January 16, 2010 at 10:09 PM.

Citizen

Those four files are just the entire mod split up into four pieces (in order to make the downloads quicker). You download all four in order to play the mod.

You also download the three sound patch files (which are pieces of one sound patch and to speed up downloads) and the translation (one quick easy installation)

Righto, thank you very much. One last question then: What precisely do I use to install/unpack ".7z files"? (I'm assuming the ".001", ".002" being put right on the end is a mistake, since it means the computer sees that number as the file type) I've heard mention of a M2TW Unpacker, and there's something of the like in the M2TW Tools folder, but that's mostly files to unpack specific campaigns. There's one that's just called "unpacker"- is that it, or is it a fan-made program, as with some communities?

Citizen

You need 7zip to "extract" (save them somewhere, then right-click and select "7zip") the files, not "unpack". Unpack refers to getting all of the game's data files out of the "box" that is the data.pack so that modders (such as myself) can modify the game. The unpacker comes with Kingdoms, but it is not important for the installation of this mod. The .001, .002 etc, are not mistakes. It's a method used by some people to make it so that all you have to do is extract the first (.001) file, and it will extract all of the others along with it.

Is there any chance you could just upload 1.01? This is really a bit complex and I'm a little leery of having to download another file un-packer just to play this mod.

Also, an explanation of some sort should probably be posted on the front page, as it's not really clear at all that you have to download all seven or eight files to play the mod (or, at least, it was not initially clear to me), and 7zip wasn't mentioned at all as far as I can tell...and there are no instructions on what to do with the files once they are extracted, to make them into a coherent set of mod files.

And the host imposes excessive limits on the downloading too, so it's a hassle.

Anyway, if you could upload a version of 1.01, preferably with the sound files, that would be great. I can do the translation and the patch to 1.02 myself at least.
    Last edited by ChaosReigns; January 17, 2010 at 01:54 AM.

Citizen

I'll upload the entire version 1.01 (including sound patch) as soon as I can

Making progress now, although there's no text on the menu. Haven't got a hold of the text file yet though, so it's to be expected. Just to double-check; even though I never downloaded 1.01, I download the 1.01 and 1.02 translations?