Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Roz's Beta 0.70 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation with stone fort installer.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Roz's Beta 0.1 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation

Updated file on my post above, should unzip okay now, has improved pathfinding insoide fort than the previous version..

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

If anyone is waiting for me I am totally confused by this so will likely just add a few forts in for next update, eg in the Holy Land.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

wolfslayer - excellent work on the pathfinding as per screenies.
    (they're a bit out-of-focus as print screen saves the tgas all squashed up and I had to resize.)

here's a couple of screenies of wolfslayer's kw_fort_g in action.

archers and infantry in a courtyard
    Attachment 70292

daylami infantry emerging from passageway
    Attachment 70293

(this is the Alamut fort held at start by rebels. I changed the descr_regions faction attribute to kwarezm, as this seemed to give the proper middle_eastern texture, rather than stone cladding.)
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 18, 2010 at 09:21 AM.

To Rozanov and WolfSlayer:

Just amazing stuff. Don't know how you guys do it.

You mentioned these Forts will be Permanent. Would it be possible to have the option to have them Buildable ?
    The ability to "change History" makes Total War games so intriguing.

It is historical. No need to inform you gents that the vast majority of the lands in this period were controlled locally by the local Lord. Who were always ensuring that their lands were in control (hence collection of taxes - $$$). The center of this Control was maintained by the Fort/Castle/Outpost. This was especially true when the Crusaders arrived and developed their Latin States after the Crusades. Many Castles / Forts were built of various size and complexity. And so on…..
    - Suggest you make their very expensive and it take two to five years to build. Have various and different sizes. Limit the number per region.
    - What is the best way for me to learn how to create a model for a Buildable Stone Fort ? Like what wolfslayer or zuma did ?

Thanks again.
    Today is a good day

Glad you got it working..to keep the mod file size down, I can show you a few things when I have a chance ..

You don't need to create copies or factions for preplaced forts, this mod is going to turn into a real mess of unneeded files unless we
    lay down a few ground rules.

Once you understand how pkg files work, you can save a ton of time and effort.

I myself didn't understand this before and I created a lot of copies and unneeded files myself, which I still have and am trying to sort out so they can be used in a campaign as buildable and permanent forts...

Faction forts generally are for buildable forts, for perm forts just place me_fort_g, culture middle eastern at the same spot in the slave or kwarezm region in your desc_strat.

It will default to kwarezm textures or middle eastern textures, even in a south_european or north_european climate, depending on who the faction_creator of the region is.

Each faction can have it's own distinct textures for one model in blockset/textures, but they have to be created or copied to the right folders (faction_variations) in order to be used.

BUt once me_fort_g is created as a standalone file, it is the only .world file we need to use for that fort, regardless of where it is placed or who can build or who owns it..

Every alternate use of that model (like a buildable kwarezm fort) needs just 1k pkg file in it's own (or any) folder.

kw_fort_g (buildable) = 1k .worldpkgdesc file in kw_fort_g folder .

Path = me_fort_g ,culture = middle_eastern, faction = kwarezm, variant = wooden_fort.

In desc_strat "culture" should always match the culture for the pkg file.

I can place me_fort_g in scotland, "culture middle_eastern" , for example. It will be scotlands fort because they own the region.

All of the settlement castles as forts you have in your list can be replaced by one 300 BYTE pkg file, instead of 16+ megs of files for each settlement, files that arent even used; until they have their own pathfinding or vegetation, then they can be replaced with standalone files ( like me_fort__g).

Let me know if this makes sense..I can do some examples of pkg files if needed.

Are you guys able to get past the TO emergence with this release? Gj btw.

soulson - never managed to get that far - one of the problems of testing 2TPY.

Longstreet - no plans to make forts buildable. Problem is that we have to keep roads clear for agents, crusade / jihad armies to move without being blocked by forts the AI or human player has put in the way. (The AI will build tons of forts if allowed to.) There's no cost as it is, everything is there at start of game. There's no pretence of forts being anywhere historical, they are placed where it seems useful to the AI and the human player. Generally there's only 1 fort per region, some have two, and others none. I've tried to avoid blocking access to regions with forts, if there is a fort at an access point there should be an alternative route available. Also I've mainly avoided putting them on small islands, in mountains (too easy to block routes and no guarantee the terrain will work with a fort) along narrow coastal paths, or directly opposite another fort.

Can't guarantee that any particular fort will get used in any particular game, most have been seen to be used, and any that are always ignored removed unless I think they might serve some purpose for human players. I've tried to space them out and not assume that attacks /defence will be from any particular direction or from any particular faction.

wolfslayer - if we can make the castle forts do-able without huge files that will be great.

(too late this morning to try anything out - will get back to this tomorrow!)

(I've got a 0.2 Beta assembled and working, if the worldpkgdesc files could be added that would be great. Would still need to include the PKH forts - or links to them as well.)

Testing this out. Germany, year 1114, took Metz and a few other towns years ago and turned them into Castles. I would say a good 10 turns or so after and still cant recruit troops despite building barracks, stables ect. Even built a church and cant recruit priests inside. Is this normal, if so whats the reasoning?

soulson

um you're not supposed to be turning them into castles -
    all your settlements (towns and cities) can be upgraded to recruit all possible units.
    It's one of the features of this particular mod -all towns no castles for settlements.
    castles as preplaced forts you can occupy and recruit mercs in but no other buildings in them.

I just haven't had time to do the remove convert option from the EDB yet.
    it's on the list of things to do.

(only reason it remains is that I encountered various errors if i removed some of the castle buildings, it looks like a all or nothing option.)

the new descr_campaign_db.xml I'm testing removes castles from the building browser.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    (only reason it remains is that I encountered various errors if i removed some of the castle buildings, it looks like a all or nothing option.)
    Pretty sure the wall buildings are hardcoded for the most part. Have you tried just taking out the convert_to line for the city walls EDB entry?

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Sorry for long reply ive been dealing with stuff blah blah, anyway i found a back up to just unzip will take like 5 minutes and ive decided ill wait till you completely finish this and make a easy installation thing as previously described.

CC - been working away on this (EDB) today and seem to have cracked it.

Have a building browser that only has towns and no castle buildings and have removed all convert options.
    seems only castle core buildings and ports need to be in the EDB.

a lot of other script.errors are linked to stuff such as missions, ancilliaries, guilds etc, so using system.log as my guide I've been eliminating those.
    have got to a no errors on start up stage, and played 1 round as England and everything seems to be fine at this stage.

(hmm ancilliaries needs checking for 2TPY ! a lot are turn related. add it it the to do list!)

So the 0.2 Beta looks like being a lot tidier if nothing else.

not tackled wolfslayer's stuff about the castle fort files - have to wait until tomorrow now.

I have posted 0.2 Beta on O/P with a change log so people can see what I've been up to.
    not save game compatible.
    don't forget to delete map.rwm from the maps/base folder before you start a new campaign.

bluecheer - very understandable, hope to have an all-in-one installation one day.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 19, 2010 at 09:01 AM.

OHHHHH. Thats my fault didnt bother to read much.

I have me_large_castle (me_fort_h) almost done..it's not perfect but quite playable, a few more tweaks and ill upload.

Pretty busy with work so I'll try to convert some more when possible.

I'll upload a pkg file for the castles used as forts that I havent modified yet, so you can start ditching the big upload files.

BTW, faction forts DO work in custom battles, the only pkg file I've made for this one is for buildable/Cumans and it loaded when I set cumans as defenders, scottish glen, north european ;-)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rebels have captured outer wall and move toward the plaza.

With 3-1 advantage and plenty of ladders and rams, Rebels quickly move to the inner wall with ladders and a ram (big suprise).

Cuman cavalry make a last stand in the keep under a rain of arrow, rebel infantry pours in.

I know how to disable the plaza timer, so my settlement battles don't end until every last unit is defeated or flees the battlemap. So hiding in the keep is an option...
    Last edited by wolfslayer; January 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM.

soulson - never managed to get that far - one of the problems of testing 2TPY.

Longstreet - no plans to make forts buildable. Problem is that we have to keep roads clear for agents, crusade / jihad armies to move without being blocked by forts the AI or human player has put in the way. (The AI will build tons of forts if allowed to.) There's no cost as it is, everything is there at start of game. There's no pretence of forts being anywhere historical, they are placed where it seems useful to the AI and the human player. Generally there's only 1 fort per region, some have two, and others none. I've tried to avoid blocking access to regions with forts, if there is a fort at an access point there should be an alternative route available. Also I've mainly avoided putting them on small islands, in mountains (too easy to block routes and no guarantee the terrain will work with a fort) along narrow coastal paths, or directly opposite another fort.

Can't guarantee that any particular fort will get used in any particular game, most have been seen to be used, and any that are always ignored removed unless I think they might serve some purpose for human players. I've tried to space them out and not assume that attacks /defence will be from any particular direction or from any particular faction.

wolfslayer - if we can make the castle forts do-able without huge files that will be great.

(too late this morning to try anything out - will get back to this tomorrow!)

(I've got a 0.2 Beta assembled and working, if the worldpkgdesc files could be added that would be great. Would still need to include the PKH forts - or links to them as well.)

Thanks, Roz. Keep up good work. As always, cheers.
    Today is a good day

Default Re: Roz's Beta 0.2 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation

wolfslayer - excellent work as ever.

I've released 0.2 Beta (see O/P) without forts.

I'd like 0.3 Beta to include the files for the stone forts as part of the package plus whatever changes PB makes.
    (a lot depends on exactly what PB includes in his update.)

I'm having a short break to let me hands and arms recover a bit (RSI) -
    something I've said I'd do before and promptly gone and made matters worse.

the To-do list has plenty of work needs doing,
    but I'll restrict myself to watching the game play for the rest of the week and making a few notes,
    rather than doing anything involved with typing.

If anyone fancies going through the ancilliaries file and turning the turns into 2TPY versions (x3 basically) let me know.

what happens when you forget to delete map rwm. before you start a new campaign? I did this I believe.

wolfslayer - excellent work as ever.

I've released 0.2 Beta (see O/P) without forts.

I'd like 0.3 Beta to include the files for the stone forts as part of the package plus whatever changes PB makes.
    (a lot depends on exactly what PB includes in his update.)

I'm having a short break to let me hands and arms recover a bit (RSI) -
    something I've said I'd do before and promptly gone and made matters worse.

the To-do list has plenty of work needs doing,
    but I'll restrict myself to watching the game play for the rest of the week and making a few notes,
    rather than doing anything involved with typing.

If anyone fancies going through the ancilliaries file and turning the turns into 2TPY versions (x3 basically) let me know.
    I have me_large_castle and me_fortress done for me_fort_h and_i...a few quirks but overall lots of fun, will upload tomorrow if possible.

Will probably do SE_forts next but may take a little longer due to my schedule

To turn a settlement into a fort, with no other modding (pathfinding, vegetation etc,) you just take your existing pkg file and change the path to the model to the settlement folder..

se_fort_g.worldpkgdesc in se_fort_g folder as you have, but copy in the path to the se_castle folder, everything else is the same..very easy. Thats all that is needed, when you place that fort and a battle takes place, the se_castle loads as a fort instead of a settlement (no tech buildings). Of course when I add pathfinding, vegetation etc, I will generate a new se_fort_g model that uses the new files, so only then it will be standalone world model with its own veg and path and collision files, but terrain and animinstances will still load from se_castle, they don't need to be duplicated.Attachment 70498

Havent tried your mod yet but looks fun so i guess i'll do it soon. I was wondering are your forts able to use balista/cannon towers ?

wolflsayer - tx for that.

szelbisz - the original (Kingdoms) forts don't have ballista and cannon towers.
    all stone forts have level 3 fortification and that has to be fixed at the start of the campaign so even if we could give cannon towers, it would be wrong to have them available so early.
    There may be a way of adding ballista towers but I've not tried so far.

As for myself I'm working on the EDB which needs both bug fixing (removing duplicate units, missing units,) and then re-allocating peasant units to the the first three levels of barracks (and equivalents) and removing them from larger city barrack rosters (with combined castle and town rosters, the unit selection risks being swamped by obsolete units.) So peasant archers and crossbows, faction peasants, fyrd spearmen and the like will come from towns and small cities, whereas the higher level spears, archers etc will come from cities. Currently some peasant units need a minimum of third level barracks (small city) ones which makes no sense. I'm also tightening up the AoR aspects, so Sudanese and Nubian units are only recruitable in hidden_resource egypt and so on. And I've removed serious duplication in the byzantine rosters. (NB none of that is necessarily due to PB, most of it, at least, is down to how I combined the rosters in the first place.)

I've also added restrictions on swiss and papal guard units for the pope, making them available in rome and in limited numbers in genoa, venice, sicily and hre.

Whilst doing that I won't be able to do any play testing, except to check the building browser at start for errors.

(There is a condition "IsFortGarrisoned" in the game engine, so one could use that to generate a small garrison if the fort is attacked the same way one can do town garrisons, but I wouldn't like to write all the code, presumably it would have to trigger if an enemy army was within marching distance?)
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: amended ideas on peasant unit availability