Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Roz's Beta 0.70 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation with stone fort installer.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Roz's Beta 0.51 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation with stone fort installer.

That would be me with the Rep + for your devotion to the cause ,of realistic medieval warfare .

Signature made by Joar

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Roz's Beta 0.51 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation with stone fort installer.

tx.

v0.52 uploaded.

after that I have some role-playing ideas I need to test out using odd buildings around the map.

(Bad case of Mod Creep!)
    --

another revision for 0.53 - make the government buildings only give faction bonuses to the AI?
    Prevents human player from stacking up huge bonuses.

--

Ideas for future:

possible using various civilian ambient buildings (labelled "forts") we could create some new elements to the game,
    more role-playing?

Note: very speculative atm.

Prison: ideal for Kings who upset nobles or treasonous nobles. Has garrison of 1 own faction unit. Oh dear is that a rebel army approaching ...
    Any general, king, FM incarcerated here has all movement points deducted using trait like Locked but with enough minus movement points to stop movement whatever movement bonuses they have.

Leper Colony: General with leprosy? Place him in a leper colony. No garrison. Resident priest.

Sanctuary: a place of refuge for battered armies or defeated generals. No garrison but anyone attacking an army here
    will suffer massive piety drop. 1 resident priest.

Exile: A fort on an island, far far away. You can't land there. Anyone sent there stays there until released. Or they die. 1 loyal unit garrison.

Hermitage: Got a priest low on piety? - send on retreat to a hermitage for a few years. Resident priest.

Pirate Haven: fort on an island - rebel garrison. A place where abducted family members are held. Until ransom is paid. (move characters off map)
    Or the haven destroyed. (must be island where you can land an army.) Rebel garrison. (Must start as rebel region.)

Holy Shrine: A visit here should gather FMs plenty of piety. No garrison but has resident priest.

Bedlam: Sadly mental health issues were also a feature of the medieval period too. Place your afflicted General or FM here where he can be looked after with kindness.
    No garrison. Priest stationed here.

(How do we know what the various buildings are - again speculative but one can make a named_character with the name of the building and place them in it.
    Make sure they have no MP - or are locations they can't move from. Check every turn to see if they are still alive - if not spawn a replacement with the same name.
    Check every turn to see if a character with that name has randomly popped up anywhere - if they have then kill_character. Or something like that.)

All this just for human player. Some factions will have more scope for this than others.

wilddog and makanyane are doing wonderful things enabling plazas and pathfinding in ambient buildings - all damn clever stuff, hopefully we should be able to use
    some of the existing ambient buildings, label them as forts in descr_strat and plonk them where we want them.

Sounds so plausible I can almost believe it can be done!!
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: more ideas.

Default Re: Roz's Beta 0.52 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation with stone fort installer.

Wow some great ideas your working on!! trying newest version now

quick question: do we need an updated edu file for your mod if we want to use huge battles or will the one that is meant for RRRC 6.2 work?

Default Re: Roz's Beta 0.52 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation with stone fort installer.

stevehoos - my EDU uses the standard RC/RR unit sizes.
    I'm not a big fan of huge unit sizes - they really don't work in the smaller forts at all well.

The EDU changes i made were relatively minor so if you want to use another it might work - but do compare the two in case there's some differences that you need to make tot he huge one for compatibility.

the role-play ideas are like some of my other ideas -may not come to anything but I like the idea of some sort of Quest that would count towards victory conditions -
    so it's not just about conquering places, you need to have created a character (at some point in the campaign) who did lots of heroic and worthy deeds.)

now if the nice people at third age would do a dragon for us to slay that would be very good
    ------------------------------

Have done 11 ambient buildings with plazas and deployment zones.
    The plazas are all outside the buildings (although some are in courtyards - need to check pathfinding)
    they're not really designed for battles but we have to give them plazas and deployment zones to use them as "forts"

next up trying to find some good locations for them on the strat map and see if I can get them to work.
    (see this thread for wilddog's World Editing tool
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=323503
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 21, 2010 at 07:37 PM.

Cool ideas Roz

If enough people want to work on the role_play project it's probably best spun-off from here and onto its own thread so it doesn't get in the way (or get lost here.)

Have started thread here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...81#post6817081

(CC - can you move the relevant posts above to that thread please?)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not abandoning this 2TPY etc project either - but I don't wish to tie everyone down to it, it's better the ideas can be accessed by everyone else without needing my mod.
    --------------------------

Looking through the files I notice that stone_fort_e is in the northern_european folder but the .worldpkgdesc file has culture southern_european.
    It doesn't look as though it has been used in the descr_strat or any problems might ensue if used as is.
    I'll probably shift it to the south european folder in the next major update.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 22, 2010 at 01:23 PM.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    (CC - can you move the relevant posts above to that thread please?)
    I moved them but it has screwed up the post order. It put germanicus' post first and now cos it's technically the original post, I can't delete or move it

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Oh well maybe G5 will cut and paste my post into it?

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

Mkay, all text copy-pasted.

Regards
    I have no memory of this place.

TX for that G5

Good news is that the ambient buildings on battlemaps as "forts" so they also show up on the strat map project is already bearing fruit.

I'll post pix there - big TX to wilddog and wolfslayer for helping through my first attempts at doing these.

Three confirmed so far from me and wolflsayer has also done one (with proper pathfinding etc - mine are just rough attempts in comparison.)

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

I can do pathfinding and put the plaza inside the country estate..I also created fountain sounds a while back I need to sort out and upload..I fixed defective paths that were in the vanilla me_large_monastery, will upload the fort version for those who want to use or modify..

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

wolfslayer - sounds good!!

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

So those ambient buildings with plaza's next to them, can they be captured like normal plazas?

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Yep - the mechanics play the same as any other fort, you have to deploy in a certain area and the plaza has to be captured to win the battle.
    (or kill all the opponents.)

I've not tried anything clever with the files I'm uploading. It's all I can manage to get the buildings done as theyare without doing anything else with them.
    So all the plazas will be outside the building. The buildings aren't designed for defensive purposes, they're for role-playing (they could just as easily be the usual forts)
    but i'm after a landscape with more varied buildings (without cluttering it up of course.)

What we have to wait and see is whether the AI will be interested in capturing them - it could be useful from a roleplay point of view.
    I aim to keep them away from roads, bridges etc so they the AI won't think of them as defensive structures (but it just sees "fort" so it might keep a full stack on some of them -
    we'll have to locate them away from the obvious places the AI likes to defend.

will upload another three tomorrow in the role play thread. look forward to some more ideas for it
    ----------------------------

OK v0.6 series will start the role-play add-on to the basic 2TPY etc mod.

It will add the 12 buildings I've done so far, and any others people care to contribute
    (might be able to add a village or even small town?)

These are:
    middle eastern culture
    country estate large
    small monastery
    large fortified house
    country estate medium
    medium farm

northern european
    large monastery
    small fortified house
    medium fortified house (practically identical to one above?)

southern european
    medium monastery
    large country estate
    large fortified house
    large monastery

---
    there would have been about 6 or so more but for one reason or another they messed up during production.

the med farm would make a good herb garden with herbalist
    the two northern fortified houses I might use for pirate haunts
    one or more of the monasteries would make good er monasteries, but also lazar house, asylum, hospice

any other ideas most welcome.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 25, 2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: update

Great mod Roz, just keep up the good work!
    I'm eagerly anticipating the next update too, any idea on when we can expect it?
    (...before the new rr/rc update perhaps?)

Regards

FP
    welcome to the board and tx for your comments.
    next major set of updates will see the incorporation of the role play elements which is going to take me a long time to sort out.
    It'll move along as fast as i can manage but just got NTW_IE to add to my RSI so will not be completed for a couple of months I reckon (at least)
    (taking a break from everything for a couple of days coz of RSI) but I'll post a patch I think for 0.52 with a couple of minor changes over the weekend
    (cut bonuses to human player for govt buildings until i can script a system that stops humans from building any more of each building if they already have 1 of them.)

can't actually think of any others that urgently need doing.
    Anything requiring urgent fixing let me know please!

I'm waiting for PB to finish off his update to RC/RR as that should have some useful bug fixes etc.

----------
    just spotted this re the scotsman with nae name problem:
    I know that when a character with no name (error in editing descr_names.txt or names.txt) gains a epithet, ctd
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...09#post5835309
    from The Housekeeper which probably explains the CTD but not the problem with the lack of name in the first place.

(another on the to do list - edit descr_strat to give a byz or scot a too long name and see if it shows on T1 on campaign.)

looking at traits triggers ancilliaries etc it's possible (from same thread as the quote is from) to give priests Epithets -
    so if one hangs around a monastery long enough he can be given the Epithet "Abbot of Walsingham" or some such.
    (and maybe necessary number of piety or even priest level.)
    and an effect that removes -150MP so he's going nowhere once he becomes abbot - dunno about what happens if he then becomes a cardinal.

will work on that and report back)
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 26, 2010 at 05:24 PM.

PB has posted the latest patch for the main RC/RR compilation.

it will take me ages to compare some of the files. I suspect some can be used without any problem, like the better water.
    others will over-write essential parts of this mod.
    others MAY impact on this mod without me realising it until the game is run.

Basically if you want to play the RC/RR compilation with the latest patch then go back and re-install the Oct30th version and apply patch.
    If you want to carry on with this mod - then that's Ok too, but until I've had a chance to inspect all the files in the patch don't install PB's patch and expect this mod to run
    as it won't.

'Fraid you'll have to wait for me to update everything before this mod is compatible with the patch (to the extent that the patch is compatible with this mod)
    and see exactly what PB has changed and either ignore or change if necessary.

I'm hoping we can install this mod over PB's patch without losing any of the benefits of the patch without major surgery on the files, but the more work that's needed
    the longer it will take.

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

If it all works as I suspect, AI will defend these additional plazas... but it'll use strict settlement defense tactics, including plaza deployment and it'll be largely inoperative and easy to annihilate. Certainly you shouldn't expect anything like coordinated defense. All theorethical and based on AI settings and hardcoded behaviour, I haven't had time to test these changes yet.

Regards

P.S. Nice ideas, as usual.
    I have no memory of this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    PB has posted the latest patch for the main RC/RR compilation.

it will take me ages to compare some of the files. I suspect some can be used without any problem, like the better water.
    others will over-write essential parts of this mod.
    others MAY impact on this mod without me realising it until the game is run.

Basically if you want to play the RC/RR compilation with the latest patch then go back and re-install the Oct30th version and apply patch.
    If you want to carry on with this mod - then that's Ok too, but until I've had a chance to inspect all the files in the patch don't install PB's patch and expect this mod to run
    as it won't.

'Fraid you'll have to wait for me to update everything before this mod is compatible with the patch (to the extent that the patch is compatible with this mod)
    and see exactly what PB has changed and either ignore or change if necessary.

I'm hoping we can install this mod over PB's patch without losing any of the benefits of the patch without major surgery on the files, but the more work that's needed
    the longer it will take.
    I don't think it will be too hard Roz, the amount of changes is not really large.

G5 - the new fort sites aren't meant for combat but for role-play - but if combat takes place then having the AI defend a plaza is good news -
    if they are easy to beat that's not really a problem.
    (which is one reason i intend putting them in places the AI is less likely to defend.)
    if we want a defended site we use a proper fort.

the system is designed to put monasteries and similar sites on the campaign map and have some sort of interaction.

PB - pleased to hear that!!!

(soz -in a rush watching Time Team on TV atm!!)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RE PB's new patch.
    ------------------

I've had a look through the files and if you want a quick and nasty guide to what to use and what not to stay compatible with this mod for now here goes:
    (subject to revision!!)

1) Unpack into a folder on your desktop so you have a look at the folders before moving them into a live SS6 folder.
    2) Make a backup of any file you intend replacing with one from the new patch in case you don't want to keep the changes.
    3) delete map.rwm
    4) copy files over.
    5) start a new campaign.

OK the SS6 folder - basically everything in the SS6 EXCEPT THE DATA FOLDER can be safely moved over as is,
    the SS6 batch file deletes the .bin files from the text folder, they'll be regenerated from the new text files when the game is run.

Which leaves the data folder.
    the safe ones are basically those which I haven't touched so far:
    battle_config.xml
    config_ai_battle.xml
    descr_character.txt
    descr_chararacter_FASTER.txt
    descr_cultures.txt
    descr_formations.txt
    descr_formations_ai.txt
    descr_pathfinding.db
    descr_pathfinding.txt
    descr_water.txt
    descr_water_effects.txt
    descr_water_interaction_effects.txt

and all of the following folders are OK:
    BETTER WATER
    cursors
    loading_screen
    menu
    scripts
    settlements

in the text folder these are OK (I think):
    expanded.txt
    export_advice.txt
    export_units.txt
    historic_events.txt

in the ui folder you have a choice depending on whether you want y2day's faction symbols and/or cedric37's jazzy new ui interfaces.
    if you want both then the entire ui folder should be OK
    and also
    unit_models
    watchtower

in the world folder
    maps/campaign/custom is OK (but obviously not imperial_campaign)

but EVERYTHING ELSE should not be installed as is as it will conflict in some manner or another with this mod, either because it is not compatible with:
    the 2TPY ; the all towns ; the changes to traits, ancilliaries, etc ; new buildings ; and other factors.

How much can be used beyond that has to be done on a file-by-file, line-by-line basis.

NOTE I do NOT know at this stage whether the above guide is totally accurate -
    there may be instances where there is something in one of the files you can't use that has an affect on one files that I can think can be used.
    That can only be discovered in practice - it's not something I can spot from just looking at files.

I expect people are hoping to use the new campaign script -all I can say for sure is that it cannot be compatible with the 2TPY feature of this mod as it is 1.5YPT.
    I may be able to extract the relevant info from the new campaign script and incorporate it here, but that will take time.
    (On the other hand, I don't recall many complaints about how the version here works?)

As for will this mod work if you install PB's patch and then install this mod over the top:
    It's quite possible, but until I've actually tried i won't know.

(might be a few days before I get time to try - if anyone wants to give it a go, be my guest - but remember to do a backup of your entire SS6 folder first in case it goes wrong.)

Equally you might want to try out cedric37's interfaces before installing them. (they are compatible with this mod as it is.)
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 27, 2010 at 09:08 AM.