Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Roz's Beta 0.70 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation with stone fort installer.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Default Roz's Beta 0.70 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation with stone fort installer.

Herewith the standalone install files from the PSF / 2TPY / All Towns / Role_Playing etc etc mod
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V0.70 BETA of the mod has now been released.
    However due its size it can no longer be put here as an attachment so it's been transferred to the TWCentre Downloads section.

NOTE: a patch 0.71 is now available that addresses a few outstanding issues with the v0.70 version of this mod.

Just download the main 0.70 mod and then copy the contents of the v0.71 patch folder to the stainless steel 6 folder, over-writing where requested.

Attachment 88631

It requires a clean install of Stainless_Steel_6.0 pts 1 AND 2
    Stainless_Steel 6.1
    PB's Oct30th Real Combat / Real Recruitment compilation.

(don't tick the Byg BGR options.)

(NB DO NOT INSTALL the latest patch for PB's RC/RR - it is not known yet if installing it and then installing this mod will work.
    It also installs by default elements you may not wish to have.)
    And now the v0.70 file here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2731

Unzip the downloaded file into your Stainless_Steel_6 folder

--------------------------------------------

Here's the original file explaining the ideas behind the mod.
    (amended to correct various details, update things.)

Brief overview of Roz's 2TPY, all town, half price EDB, PSF, Role-Playing package
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Requirements
    ------------

You will need Stainless Steel 6.0 parts 1 and 2, plus the 6.1 patch
    Next you will need Point Blank's Real Combat / Real Recruitment Oct 30th compilation

Installation
    ------------

Unpack the files into the Stainless_Steel_6/ folder. Overwrite where requested.
    Don't forget to delete the map.rwm file from the data/world/maps/base folder before starting a new campaign.

Scope
    -----

This mod is for the early era only at this stage. If anyone fancies doing something similar for other campaigns please be my guest. Feel free to borrow any of the ideas, files in here, together with necessary credits to the people responsible for them.

You will need to get the OK from Princes, Kings and Heroes mod for the use of their forts.

The mod so far is reasonably robust, but the v0.60 Beta has not been extensively tested. Rather than wait a month whilst I tested it myself, I've released it into the wild and await feedback.

I've also incorporated a few other minor items you'll probably not notice.

The changes
    -----------

Firstly the time scale is 2 turns per year. I'm not making any claims for originality or superiority, it just seems the right time scale for the game. I recommend PB's faster character movement allowance.

For this aspect I've not made many major changes, the biggest is that the replacement rate for units has been halved for all units, apart from mercenaries. I've not changed any upkeep costs, except making pirate ships and certain horde units free upkeep.

I've made a few adjustments to the settlement mechanics file as well with the aim of slowing down population growth. These have yet to be fully tested so are open to revision.

The second major change is that all buildings are half price but the same construction time. This is entirely down to trying to get the AI economy working better. In addition, the number of recruitment slots has been cut, and various changes have been made to building bonuses.

The combination of these items should mean the AI can afford more buildings and produce fewer units. Having played one campaign up to T250 I was pleased to see some AI factions producing (ie spending on buildings) between 5,000 and 12,000 fl per turn. (Not all admittedly, there are a few "basket cases" and most of those get eliminated by that stage. However enough to know that the basic economy is working for most factions. There is, however, not much one can do with the strategic decisions the AI makes without wholesale revision of the Campaign AI.)

The third major change is to change to an all town/city settlement scheme, eliminating castles entirely. In exchange I've added Permanent Stone Forts to most regions. (Some regions do not get them - all small islands, mountainous areas and regions which had no sensible place to locate them.) Each PSF is fixed in the descr_strat file at the start of a campaign and can't (as far as I know,) be changed in game. (Players can, of course, change the location by editing the descr_strat file before starting a campaign.) The descr_campaign_db.xml file also has been changed to stop forts being built and destroyed. (Change at your peril.)

All PSFs start with a 2 unit garrison and most will leave on turn 1 and be used elsewhere. Placement is arbitrary but I tried to locate them on roads, especially junctions. Some are near ports or other resources. Most regions have 1 but a very few get 2, in some cases because they are so large. Care was taken not to prevent the movement of diplomats and other agents, and armies should be able to gain access to neighbouring regions one way or another without attacking the forts. Mountainous areas were omitted as the roads were too easy to block, and to avoid terrain difficulties. (nb I haven't tested the location of all the forts, so please let me know of any floating fortresses you find.) Free upkeep is set at 5 units - any more and canny human players might start using them to get free upkeep for their most expensive units. The AI rarely has many more than 5 units in a fort at any one time. (Although I have seen a half stack or more once or twice.)

How players use PSFs is up to them. From what I've observed the AI will attack garrisons in forts and sometimes empty ones, especially if it is attacking a region or controls the main settlement. The rebel armies that pop up may well attack them, especially it seems if they are garrisoned. The AI also uses them as bases or rally points.

The forthcoming (if it ever arrives) Role Playing aspect of the mod has been started. 12 ambient buildings have been converted so they can be represented on the campaign map (albeit with the fort symbol), but are shown in their full glory on battle maps for their location. The aim is to create some role-play scenarios with interactive elements for the human player - the AI has no concept of role playing and can be safely ignored for the purposes of this part of the mod. At the moment only a few fortified house, a farm, some monasteries and fortified houses have been placed, some in previously "fort"ified positions. It's quite possible that many of these will change as the project takes shape.

To achieve the all town/city scheme I amalgamated the units from castles and towns into a single file for barracks (town barracks), archery buildings and stables. So that all missile troops come from archery buildings, horse troops from stables and foot soldiers from barracks. (Note: it's quite possible that I have mistakenly put units of one type into the buildings of another. These errors can be sorted out as they appear.) Let me know of any errant units appearing in the wrong buildings. The EDB needs further work to tighten up the AoR requirements. Some poor quality units have been moved down the tech tree to free up space further up.

Other minor changes
    -------------------

I've removed peasants from the EDB and from rebel faction armies. They are still in the EDU so may crop up. I didn't remove faction specific peasants.

I've made some minor changes to traits and ancilliaries, to deal with issues around madness, Timurids and castles. And 2TPY issues. Let me know of any people who pop up at the wrong time. More changes have been made and new traits, ancilliaries etc are planned for the role-playing project.

I've changed the campaign script again so that double wall bonuses kick in at T1 and stay that way until the treasury reaches 50,000fl at which point they change to single bonuses. Once the treasury reaches 100,00fl the wall bonuses stop. Those adept at find and replace can play around with those values if you like. Testing showed that larger factions really need those wall bonuses. I've reduced the difficulty increments AI factions get to their King's Purse so that smaller factions don't accumulate quite such vast sums of money. Still haven't managed to do long-term testing.

I removed Germanicus5's assimilation script as it isn't relevant to this project, feel free to put it back if you like. Alternatively if you want to not build or recruit in a settlement immediately after you capture it, then don't. Simples. With halved recruitment rates few units will be available on the turn the victorious army occupies a settlement, although you may be able to rebuild or upgrade some units. The various siege settlement scripts I have messed around with so much I've no idea if they'll get in the way or not. The latest version may work properly - let me know how you get on.

I've made some changes to the descr_regions file to make life a bit easier for the AI factions regarding religion, by changing the stats to favour the faction that controls the region at the start of the campaign. I've also reduced (iirc) the SOF for religious turmoil, distance from capital and possible one or two others. (Note the AI actually moves its capital to minimise distance to capital penalties -check for Gorgan in Khwarezm. Indeed play long enough and most factions move their capitals, through choice or necessity.)

The population growth factors may need further adjustment. I've not had time to test the current values. They seem to be working fairly well. Having played up to T250 only 2 cities had expanded enough to be able to build huge stone walls.

Plagues: I've introduced plagues for most capitals and a few other cities. The frequency is 50 years that's approx once in 50 turns (or years?) for each city. Need to see how that works in practice. (One report mentioned a faction losing 50% population in one plague event. Sounds about right!) Haven't done any event notices for them. So keep your eyes peeled. Also upped SPF penalty for plagues.

New Buildings: I've added 4 new Government buildings available from settlements with the capital hidden_resource. (I've changed a few around from PB's original version so that a faction's starting capital is its capital for the purposes of this feature. I've also added a few such as Vienna and Baghdad and Gorgan (see above.) I might add a few more such as Antioch, Fes, Bucharest. I've renamed the Treasury, the Exchequer, and removed the faction wide bonuses for human players, let's hope the AI can be persuaded to build them now!

Also added Rocket Workshop for Mongols and Timurids and moved date gunsmiths can be built so they don't get built too early.

Things to do
    ------------

Most importantly the latest RC/RR patch needs further investigation to see how much can be incorporated here. To save confusion, I'll probably keep installation of this requiring just the Oct 30th version.

The 2 turns per year should be working OK now. The campaign script has been updated thanks to morfans. I've tried to correct the siege settlement and mongol scripts, we'll have to see if they work properly now.

I've not looked at guilds or any triggers that are castle specific apart from a few that seemed to cause problems when the game is first run. Having played the game it seems theological guild buildings fire quite early, but I've had offers of explorers, merchants and others so they do still work.

Testing - I tried to test most factions when placing PSFs to see where it made sense for them to go. And played a couple for 50 -70 turns, but not for the latest version. Have played up to T250 with Scotland - game stable to there at least, others have reported the same.

The EDB needs thoroughly checking to make sure all units are recruitable in the right buildings and places. (Some units names I didn't recognise so may be wrong for that reason. Others might be simple human error.) Can't check for units available after certain events or in specific locations. The AoR system, especially after I've messed with it, may allow units to be recruited twice - once as a faction unit, and again as an AoR unit. I'll sort those out as they emerge. Still making minor adjustments to EDB to allow factions to recruit at lowest level of twon wherever they are.

I might be tempted to make the AoR system a lot more region specific. but see above.

Compatibility with anything else
    --------------------------------

No idea, don't ask. Try it and see. Basically if any of the files replaces any file specific to other mods then it isn't compatible. And no changes won't be save game compatible.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the change log for v0.70 beta

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Changes since v0.60
    -------------------

Some of the role-play elements have been de-activated until such time as the necessary code and text and other files can be written.
    The campaign script has been extensively revised. The Bulgarian Uprising, Teutonic Order emergence and Mongol Invasion have been re-written.
    The Venetain Crusade has been removed.
    A new command destroy_units has been introduced with several variations to remove AI units for various situations:
    obsolescence; end of crusade / jihad; lack of money in treasury etc.
    Still in testing stage to see how it works out in practice.
    Uses changes in the EDU giving attributes to various units.
    Wall bonuses changed again - delayed until T200.
    Changes to descr_strat to eliminate pirates in inland lakes (backed up to with a script that mops up any missed every 50 turns.)
    A replacement black backdrop to the faction choice screen to help show y2days faction symbols and new menu UI items. (When they are released.)
    .cfg file now enables mulltiplayer / hotseat campaign.
    A couple of slave unit card pix have been added.

and these are earlier change logs:

This is the change log for v0.60 beta.

A start has been made on the Role Playing Mod with the inclusion of the 12 ambient buildings enclosed that can be used on the campaign map
    using the fort location building name culture format in the regions section of descr_strat. Building names below.

middle_eastern
    --------------
    country_est_large
    sm_monestry_a
    la_fortified_house_a
    country_est_med
    med_farm_a

northern_European
    -----------------
    la_monestry_a
    sm_fortified_house_a
    med_fortified_house_a

southern_european
    -----------------
    med_monastery
    la_country_estate
    la_fortified_house_a
    la_monastery

(Several others failed in the conversion process through a variety of reasons including operator error. It's quite possiblethat a whole load more can be added.
    A few of these have been included on the new map but no other role play elements have yet been completed.
    (WiP includes a few new ancilliaries, traits and triggers.)

The 4 government buildings have been revamped with lower costs and faction capabilities restricted to AI factions to stop human exploit where one
    could build many of the buildings accumulating bonuses. Now human players just get local bonuses.
    A few more locations for the capital hidden_resource have been added to allow for AI factions moving their starting capitals.
    The Treasury building has been renamed Exchequer to avoid confusion with in game element "Treasury".
    Northern_European stone_fort_e has been re-allocated to the correct culture southern_european folder.

Changes since v0.51
    -------------------

wolfslayer has provided a revised version of the Cuman ambassador texture.
    Added Rocket Workshop for Mongols and Timurids.
    Minor amendments to User Interface and names files.
    Changed the wall bonus script so that it defaults to double wall bonus, but only half if a faction treasury is between 50,000 - 100,000fl
    and there are no bonuses if the faction treasury is above 100,000fl. (Be interesting to see how that works out.)
    Made some adjustments to EDB to compensate for changes to AoR system for Scottish and Byzantine rosters.
    Changed the capabilities of the Government Buildings as the AI did not seem interested in building them - added regional capabilities and made then cheaper.
    Moved a couple of forts.
    Amended the campaign script for Mongol Invasion to remove FactionIsLocal line as system log showed problem - and it doesn't seem necessary.
    Removed redundant code.
    Changed a few rebel factions around, removed Hussites.
    Added back a couple of Byzantine ports.
    A couple more tweaks to names and traits and ancilliaries to solve issues revealed by validator progs.
    Fixed Merchant Guild upgrade threshold bug.
    Changed a couple of prefer sea invasions round again.

Changes since v0.5
    ------------------

Updated EDU and a couple of other files, which should have been added to v0.5.

Changes since v0.4
    ------------------

wolfslayer has released his improved version of se_fort_i, the giant fortress.

Added cogs and holks to norway and denmark after 1180 (first rudder event.)
    Lots of tweaks, adjustments to resource locations, added a few locations for existing resources.
    Added farms to all large_towns, farms+1 to cities. removed farms from towns.
    Changed some small large_towns to towns, bumped a few big towns to large_towns.
    Added a few corn_exchanges.
    Moved a few forts around to spread them out further apart.
    Corrected a few text and EDB errors that had crept in in earlier versions.
    Corrected royal_armoury error.
    Adjusted wall bonuses to start at T1.
    Halved value of additional king's purse for AI factions.
    Added script that adds family members to AI factions if they have less than 4 heirs.
    Amended some traits, ancilliaries etc.
    Added hidden_resource capital to Gorgan as Khwarezm always seems to change it on T2.
    Amended sm_factions file so that Leon_Castile, Aragon, Kievan_Rus and England do not prefer sea invasions to improve their ability to defend home territories.
    Free_upkeep_units for forts increased to 5.

Changes since v0.3
    -------------------

Incorporates 4 new Government Buildings which give faction-wide bonuses once you can build them.
    These require hidden resource capital to be built.

Have re-jigged the descr_strat file to make the hidden_resource capital refer to faction starting capitals - apart from Lisbon for Portugal which I've kept.
    Have kept Vienna and Baghdad as extra capitals for turks and hre.
    (Have forgotten to add Vilnius for Lithuania.)

Hidden_resource capital no longer controls where huge_walls may be built. (In a 2TPY ame over 400+ years it's pointless to limit things that far.)

Incorporates the much-revised wolfslayer forts me_fort_g and stone_fort_g, plus amendments to pkh_base_sq fort and corrected file for se_fort_h

Changes since v0.2
    ------------------

This version now incorporates all the files necessary to install the stone forts.

It includes two forts made by the Prince, Kings and Heroes team and used by their kind permission and can be found here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...15#post6296015

please visit them and show your appreciation for making entirely new fort designs.

wolfslayer has been extremely helpful in making this such a small download compared to the initial versions by showing how to use the .worldpkgdesc files to point to the correct castle folders.

Please feel free to post comments on this sub-mod's thread here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...25#post6597025

He is also doing the hard work regarding improving the pathfinding on the stone castle forts, and the package will be updated as and when new files become available.

The files incorporate the Kingdoms British Isles forts as they over-write the exisitng files.
    Also I doubt the game engine would find the relevant files in their mods folder.
    (The Teutonic Order Mod castles are already in the Stainless_Steel_6/data folder.)

Also included are various extra files from the Kingdoms mod folders for the blockset and model_strat folders.

Other changes since v0.2
    -------------------------

Improvements have ben made to other files as well, including:

EDB tidied up, poor quality early units moved down the barracks and archery buildings tree.

A few happiness and health bonuses removed to lower population growth. Hopefully.

Revision of ancilliaries file to make 2TPY compatible.

Free upkeep for horde units for Teutonic Order, Mongols, Timurids which are not also recruitable by other factions.
    This is because when hording they have no economy to speak of.
    Equally once they start taking over settlements their economy is miniscule compared to their upkeep costs.
    So one can rationalise these by saying they're living off the land.

Those which do not qualify indicated with a - not.

mongol horde units:
    horde_unit Hoshiga Horse Archers
    horde_unit Lubchiten Horse Archers
    horde_unit Turhagut Lancers
    horde_unit Nukeri Horse Archers
    horde_unit Khabutu Archers
    horde_unit Hoschuchi Lancers
    --
    teutonic order horde units:
    horde_unit Order Militia
    horde_unit Prussian Archers - not
    horde_unit Sword Brethren
    horde_unit Burgher Pikemen - not
    horde_unit Christ Knights
    horde_unit Knechten
    horde_unit Ritterbruder
    horde_unit Dismounted Ritterbruder - not

timurids horde units:
    horde_unit Hoshiga Horse Archers
    horde_unit Khorchi Horse Archers
    horde_unit Turhagut Lancers
    horde_unit ME Halberd Militia - not
    horde_unit Nukeri Horse Archers

A few files have been tidied up to remove knights_templar refs.

The settlement_mechanics folder has undergone some changes that I haven't been able to check fully yet as I expect people are waiting for the all-in-one installation.

A few revisions to the campaign_script; descr_strat and other files.

Changes since v0.1
    ------------------

Thorough revision of placement of PSFs, removing redundant ones, re-allocating others, adding a few more.

Inclusion of sites for the 12 stone castle forts, 8 Kingdoms stone forts, and the 2 PKH forts.
    Wolfslayer is producing updates to the stone castle forts with improved pathfinding.
    Coming soon: new faction textures!

Slight changes to size of garrisons in some rebel and faction settlements.

Removal of some feudal and mailed knights from random armies so that none contain more than 1 of each.

Correction of various errors in previous descr_strat; added a few market buildings, roads and religious buildings to some setlements.

Incorporates a bumper version of the 1.5 Kingdoms descr_campaign_db.xml file, allowing for more control over agents (spies and priests) and autoresolve and a few other items. (May well need further revision.)

Slight revision to the EDU to incorporate correction to Junior Militia status as free upkeep unit.

Have sorted out the EDB file and removed all convert options, I hope. Seems to be accepted by the game engine without qualms now.
    Have made some slight reductions in law and trade bonuses as most factions had too much money.

Have had to edit the following files to make them compatible with the new EDB:

export_descr_ancilliaries.txt
    export_descr_advice.txt
    export_descr_guilds.txt
    export_descr_character_traits.txt
    descr_faction_standing.txt
    descr_missions.txt

so those are included as well.

----------------------------------------

Matters Outstanding after v0.51:

1) Campaign_script revision in light of any forthcoming RC/RR updates.

2) Revision of any other files changed by RC/RR changes.

3) Checking new descr_campaign_db.xml changes for problems.

4) General checking of game play, balance etc, checking usage and placement of forts.

------------------- END CREDITS ---------------------------------------------------------

Note that Kingdoms Mod forts and castles are the copyright of Creative Assembly and SEGA

The PKH forts are used by kind permission of the PKH team, to whom our thanks.

Thanks also to wolfslayer for additional work on forts to improve pathfinding and for explaining how
    to make the M2TW forts accessible without overlarge files.

Also thanks to KK and everyone who has worked on Stainless Steel over the past few years

Thanks also to Point Blank for his Real Combat / Real Recruitment compilation without which this
    mod would never have been possible.

Finally thanks to everyone who has tried out this mod or portions thereof for their feedback.

Any errors are, of course, entirely down to me

Rozanov.

OK I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope this works as well on other people's machines as it does on mine!! (If not I'll remove it until I can fix it.)

Note new versions of the mod files are not save game compatible.
    However, you can add any of wolfslayer's excellent improved castle fort files to any campaign in progress as the game loads the necessary files when it first boots up.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; May 09, 2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: v0.70 released

Default Re: Roz's Beta 0.1 2TPY/PSF/all town/ mod for RC/RR compilation

OK this space is now vacant so here's some other mods that you can add to the whole package:

y2day's Stainless Steel Eye Candy 2.0
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164061

cedric37's Enhanced 2D Interfaces - check out the screenies to see if they are to your taste
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=330785

davide cool's Better water can be had from here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...92#post6600292

germanicus 5's Spoils of War Mod, Assimilation Script , Limited Activities Script and Combined A+LA script
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...77#post6117077
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll add any known incompatible mods too:

Seether's Alberi di Famiglia Regal
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...58#post6156958

ignasigh's
    BIGGER, HUGER AND REALISTIC BATTLES
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...96#post2990496
    (may just need some EDU fixing?)

and his unit multiplier.

looks extremely good but is totally incompatible as it conflicts with just about everything in the RozMod.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; March 02, 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added data files

Cool ideas. I have thought for some time about what to do about the castle/town difference and recruitment in general. It is just no fun going against spear militia. I understand in theory the difference, but in the game, I think it plays out poorly. Plus the cities and castles are not that much different in a siege.

How do you find the pathfinding with PSF's?

pathfinding is variable.

some of the brittania forts are too small for even normal size units to work properly on walls.
    the pkh forts are better - the base_square one has lovely long walls.
    the "converted" castles have the same pathfinding as before, but there's more open space inside them.
    However much of that is keep-off-the-grass territory at the moment.
    It would need someone who knows how to edit the pathfinding file to make use of those areas.

I suspect they won't usually have much of a garrison inside them most of the time.
    If they get garrisoned the AI can see the army inside and decide to attack it.
    But tends to leave alone empty forts.
    (but see below - they sometimes recapture empty forts in their regions)
    Whether the human player uses them is a matter of choice.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 15, 2010 at 07:08 AM. Reason: updated info.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

It'd be nice if the AI could be told to garrison empty forts/castles. Not sure if the AI boffins can tell the AI to do that though

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Hello just wondering i downloaded just the normal 1 thats file Read's "data" but i put it in the right folders and it cause's ctd upon starting the game, btw i got windows 7 any help? sorry if this is wrong thread to post i thought was right.
    As well i was wondering is there a way to get a file that works with SS 6.2 with newest RR/RC compilation but all it is is 2TPY
    Last edited by Bluecheer; January 14, 2010 at 10:09 PM.

Bluecheer
    the data folder is only the start - you'll need all the forts as well to avoid a CTD for the full package.
    you could try going into the descr_strat.txt file in the world/maps/imperial_campaign folder and editing all the forts out at the end of the file.
    Does rather spoil the game a bit.

As for AI garrisoning forts - I noticed last night that if you capture and then leave a fort in an enemy region, it will (sometimes) go back and recapture it. whether the garrison then stays put is down to where the AI thinks the best place for the army is.

The extra units at the start that everyone gets get can cause trouble for the unwary - they are quite prepared to grab nearby cities. I lost Magdeburg to a rebel army last night - my fault for autoresolving the battle with the town garrison. (I've removed 1 feudal knight from german rebel armies as they were over-powering the AI. You can get several rebel armies in Germany at one time.) Also seems to get the Pope going - twice he's grabbed Ancona! (Might need to reduce his start armies -it's not as if anyone's going to attack him. (Are they?))

No idea yet whether the castle forts regenerate after damage or are permanently damaged.

With 21 possible designs I might try sticking a few more forts in strategic positions around the map, won't be quite so boring than if there were only 6 or so designs.

(I have a feeling I may need to change some file names to get the teutonic textures to work properly with their forts. If that does work I'll post them all done for people.)

Really would like some eastern european fort ideas, and if someone can get wolfslayers byz fort working so much the better. (He also mentioned doing kwarezm and mongol and lithuanian forts.)

--------
    Garrisoning empty forts - well we know the co-ordinates, so I presume one could do a routine that checks about 200 forts each turn to see if there's an army in that location, and once it has decided who should garrison it (region controller or last previous occupant) it could create appropriate units at that location.

Seems easier to leave as is, treat ungarrisoned forts as neutral, welcoming anyone who passes by.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 15, 2010 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Loose Cannon's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Campaign update report-Romans,vh/vh, 2nd time, 40 turns-Probably the easiest faction to play in 6.2 now. So easy I cut taxes in largest towns (something I never do) for population growth and now have 6 cities in addition to Constantinople. Treasury over 130,000 with 10,000 a turn profit and wages/upkeep around 30,000 a turn. And I haven't done much economic development anywhere, yet. And I'm playing conservatively, just holding western front line at Durazzo & Scopia, slowing progressing against Turks in east.

The AI seems to expanding well with Lithuania/Genoa/Sicily and the Papal States. The Pope took Anacona (2nd time here,too) and Bari, DOW'd the Fatamids and are actually sending a full stack on Crusade to Jerusalem. Its in Macedonia already. France, though, is a different story-England took Rennes, Genoa has 3 towns in S. France, Bruges & Antwerep (sp?) still rebel.

Rebel armies in Roman territory always popup with Scoutai units for extra fun. Actually took Durazzo from me in first six turns.

I'll do another 20-30 turns here then switch to another faction. Maybe reverse and play Turks
    Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance-David Mamet

Old age and forgetfullness makes it . . .er, I forgot-Loose Cannon

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Forts always are new for the next battle unless you use them for a settlement. I'm going to to dig around and find what useable "forts" I have as per your msg. ;-)

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

wolfslayer

many thanks for that info.
    look forward to seeing what forts you can bring to us - just wish I'd been paying attention to the original stone forts threads at the time.

Oh okay so if i download the forts file i put it in the data folder, It will not ctd? cause i backed up my data folder before i put 2tpy in but it says if i put it back it will take like 23 hours.. and im impatient

I know from experience that besides the teutonic settlements, which have no techtree slots, and I have used all the teutonic models to place as forts, using castles/cities etc. for forts without editing the pathfinding for the empty techtree slots, the gameplay can be very "unfun", units are confined to the roads next to wide open spaces, without being able to use those open areas for manuever or battle.

I never edited the fortress or citadel models for use as forts yet, or ever used them. I think just the me castle, some stone keeps, small towns with fence walls, and even used some wallless villages for variety. the keeps and towns have functional, but incomplete pathfinding that needs to be improved, but they are playable.

All three teutonic castles are very nice and compact and work well as forts (even with stone cladding when not occupied by TO.) Even if the waterworks are little eccentric.

A scattering of the larger castles seems fine - the pathfinding is a nuisance with open spaces we can't use yet, but as most of the fighting happens on and around the walls and gates - being unable to use some of the spaces I can live with. The beauty of the system is that people can easily change which forts they use in the descr_strat, so if people don't want to use the larger forts that's not a problem. Just makes for more variety.

I've copied the TO texture files from the teutonic kingdoms vanilla into corresponding locations in SS folders and copied the files with file names relating to specific castles to ones corresponding to the new fort names (but kept the originals as well in case the prog prefers to use them.) Have to wait for the TO to arrive before I can see whether I've got that right.

---

I'm playing a Lithuanian campaign and hope to go to T150 - T200 just to see how the game works out. Lithuania is good as you can't interfere by calling jihads and crusades and are in a good posiion to see what happens with the TO when it emerges. (Byz are the other good faction to play to observe the Bulgarian uprisings and Venetian crusade.) I'm at T50 at present, no faction eliminated, Moors doing well in Spain, a few rebel regions holding out and getting very strong (rebel income concentrated on a few settlements rather than a large number), Bruges has more than a full stack, but HRE are slowly reducing Antwerp. Seen Cairo have a plague so those changes seem to work. Production shows a couple of factions dipping to zero but then bouncing back up, which is reassuring. (no wall bonuses involved yet.) Lithuania treasury did peak at 28000fl but is down to 2000fl by T50 and I've had to stop recruiting, and ditched all my mercenaries. Suggests for some factions at least the human economy is working as intended. Byzantines are driving Turks out of asia minor but are now at war with crusaders. Really need an Iberian CAI which stops those catholic factions from attacking England etc before moors driven out of the peninsular, but have no idea if that's do-able.

--

Bluecheer - if you download and install the fort files as per instructions (and remember to follow the gigantus instructions to grab the kingdoms forts from unpacked kingdoms mod (if you don't already have them - check the directory structure of your SS/data/settlements folder - I believe SS6.1 includes some fort files but can't remember which, and have no plain SS6.1 installation to compare with.) Once you have all the forts installed properly and have installed all the files in the data folder with my modded files in it them I hope you won't get a CTD when you start the game.

Apologies if this is very confusing, once the mod has been properly tested I hope to make an all-in-one installation which includes everything you need but that will have to wait too see how PB implements the PSFs in the next update of the main RC/RR mod. Only then will I know what files will be needed. No point in duplicating them, especially as the fort files are quite large (the 12 forts above come to about 400MB.) At the moment it's very much a lash-up, I'm sometimes amazed it works at all, just shows how resilient the main game engine is!

My kwarezm fort is the me_castle with pathfinding, so I I'll upload here on this post (today) as a replacement for me_fort_g and show you an example of how to considerably trim down the file size on this mod.

When I get a chance I can use wilddog's utility to improve the pathfinding and will update the files.

My only request is that all uploads related to this mod MUST include a readme file with a description, install instructions, and a link back to the relevant forum thread(s).
    Last edited by wolfslayer; January 16, 2010 at 01:33 PM.

Couple of questions:

If we do not have this mod installed right will it ctd at points? Not sure if I have all the castles? Still works though, but I am confused by the install instructions as I would be deciphering cuniform text

I have european northern stone forts knightly order b stone fort, and stone forts a, b, h, g, and i, I don't know how to find c or d? I looked in my kingdoms files and did not see them, did not see them in the stoneforts mod either.

Does the AI treat it's forts in the same manner it would one of it's castles? I think this is a great idea, I am just wondering if the AI will garrison their forts properly?

It seems vastly easy to acuire monetary gain, is this supposed to be like this?

Should the forts show up on the map as just ordinary generic or should we see castles or differences in apperances from this screen? Just wondering if we can tell the difference between them from the map screen?
    Last edited by stevehoos; January 16, 2010 at 05:34 PM.

stevehoos.
    again apologies for problems with install instructions for forts, the mod grew out of a discussion on the placement of forts, and sort of grew from there.
    My main problem is that I can't remember exactly how I got to where i am now with it.
    If the game isn't CTD'ing you should be OK - until it does.

On the strat map the forts will show up as generic culture forts, there's no difference between the varieties for each fort within a culture.
    So you'll only know what sort of fort it is on the battlemap when you arrive and try to take it, or someone tries to take one of yours.

The AI usage of these forts is something that I'm still trying to understand as I play the game.
    Basically they only garrison them defensively if the fort is placed somewhere they want to defend.
    They also use them as assembly points for attacking armies and bolt holes for defeated remnants.
    I initially thought the AI wouldn't bother with enemy forts if they weren't garrisoned but I've seen several instances now where a faction has captured a fort even though nobody was in it, if they were attacking that region.

watching the game with toggle_fow is quite fascinating watching what the AI armies do, and don't do.

The economy seems extremely generous to begin with, but I'm currently hovering around 0fl as I'm being attacked continuously by Poland and Denmark (I'm playing as Lithuania.) (I managed to survive a crusade where denmark took Vilnius but I recovered it a couple of turns later. I'm up to T81 and SO FAR the game has been 100% stable. The aim of the mod is keep the AI in a position to keep building upgrades to its settlements, and that means throttling the recruitment rate and halving the price of buildings. So far it seems to work OK, but 2TPY and 450 years means it has to work over 900 turns, not just 80. So testing continues. Have no idea what effect, for example, the major plague will have.

In terms of population growth, well Lithuania has yet to grow its first stone wall city, not helped by me having up keep taxes high to keep replacing the units killed by the danes and poles. I suspect the AI is generally having an easier time of it. (getting the balance right on public order / taxes / population growth / religion is a big problem, especially as different players want different things from the game: ranges from a demand for a level playing field to making as difficult as possible for human players.)

--

wolfslayer, many thanks for offering an improved me_fort g, let me know of any improvements you want to the readme text file.

as for cutting the size - well the 12 new stone forts could be made optional with a different descr_strat with/without.
    I could even just post the .worldpkgdesc file and instructions on how to convert the rest of the filenames (not everyone wants to get involved in hex editing - especially when the hex editor you're using has a nasty habit of switching directories when you trying to save files.)

The EDB should be capable of considerable trimming once I bite the bullet and try to remove all the convert to stuff.

As I mentioned this a mod for PB's compilation, and he may be incorporating the PSFs into the next upgrade. Once that is out I can then work out, from scratch, what this mod needs to work with that version of PB's compilation. For now, I'm testing and posting files should anyone else want to try it out. But it's not finished, polished or really meant for people to try out unless they are happy messing around with their installation.

Rozanov-

Thanks for fielding my questions, I am quite interested in how things work out with this mod. I never have liked the way castles and cities worked in the game, always felt it was unrealistic. This idea provides some solutions to bankrupt factions and possibly bettter balance in the AI overall as well. I am gonna do some testing with this, thanks for your work.

Looks like being an uphill struggle from hereon.
    can't get peace with many of the people I'm at war with, and on VH autoresolve is suicidal.

(re forts with 2 and 3 tier walls - do they add to defenders strength on autoresolve?)

Anyway am determined to get to at last T150 before releasing any more updates.
    Have some fort placement corrections to make, a couple had mistyped locations, others need nudging slightly into better places.
    Might add a few more for larger regions if there are good locations for them.
    if you're bothered Junior_Militia for Kievan_Rus and Novgorod need free_upkeep_unit added to their attributes in the EDU.

tx for kind words steve.

Heres the me_fort_g (me_castle) w basic pathfinding. I had to check out wilddogs new utility so I edited the paths to pathfinding and a new world vegetation (removed big trees inside fort) by editing the world.txt and recompiling. I battletested and seems to be ok.

Screen is before new veg file...

Roz_me_fort_g_1.0

It has all the sub folders so can be unzipped to mods/ss6x folder, overwriting with necessary. I also included a pkg file for buildable by kwarezm, that can be disabled, faction changed or deleted if wanted.

When I get a chance I'll see if wilddogs utility can be used for quick and accurate pathfinding editing.
    I want to get some of the keeps and towns I have as perm forts organised and uploaded.

Roz does your mod have buildable forts too>?
    Last edited by wolfslayer; January 18, 2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: updated file

wolfslayer
    many thanks for the new me_fort_g

I'll be downloading it now and seeing how it looks sounds very good.
    wilddog is doing some excellent work on these castles, forts and settlements.

no there's no buildable forts, far too dangerous to let the AI and the human player stick forts all over the place.
    would totally wreck pathfinding and long distance movement.
    point of having only preplaced forts is we can make sure they are in reasonable places (ie useful to humans and AI)
    but not placed where they can cause mischief.

Having said which it only requires a moments editing in the descr_campaign_db.xml file to re-eanable them.
    what then gets built and where I shudder to think.

(Actually could prove very interesting to see where the AI does them.)

I've had to stop the Lithuanian campaign at T90, I was fighting battles every turn just to hang onto my settlements,
    if I'd autoresolved I would have been destroyed by T100!

(The economy for most factions was going through the roof, which I suppose is a good thing.
    Except the Turks - their economy flat-lined early on.
    Having the byzantines capturing all their cities in asia minor didn't help.
    If that continues we could scrap the wall bonuses!)

Gives me a chance to try out the expanded descr_campaign_db.xml file which has all the 1.5 kingdoms additions.
    Have also moved round some of the forts, chopped out a few and added a few more.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast