Thread: Boring AI

Default Boring AI

Since installing the retrofit mod the AI seems to be non existent. It's nice for a change to not be ganged up by every country you border with (and then some), but this is also not what I wanted. The AI isn't even conquering the rebel states and losing fights.

I've done some reading and I've seen a lot of other people post similar results and someone claimed it had something to do with a new way the autoresolves work making the AI lose a lot of siegebattles. Thing is I also don't really see the AI make any moves to get those regions so I don't think it's just that.

Downloaded a few mods like the XAI/retrofit mod and lusteds AI mod, but it still doesn't even conquer the rebel regions... This is getting more frustrating then playing with the original unmodded game, and I am getting tired looking around here installing 10 different mods and having to start a new campaign every time to see if it works.

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction as to what to install to get the best enjoyment out of the original campaign. (mostly the aggresive diplomacy annoys me about vanilla)

Default Re: Boring AI

I dont play this mod so its hard for me to comment but i have done alot of work with AI and it seems what you want may be hard to achieve well without changing your playing style the nature of the beast is you can make the Ai very defensive and this boredom you speak of will happen or you can make it aggresive and this ganging up you speak of will happen . why will ganging up happen on a aggresive Ai well one of the factors the Ai looks at when deciding to attack is your list of alies and enemies so if you have made few friends and many enemies you are weak to attack so it goes to war against you

If you go for an agresive Ai you can avoid this ganging up by one doing alot of diplomacy with the other factions offering them gifts of map info etc to keep there relations with you high when and if you attack nations send a diplomat first and ask for something they wont give with the demand of accept or we attack so your global standing doesnt drop when you do . play smart lure your first victim to attack you till he is excomed so then you will not only not be penalised for attacking him you standing with other catholics will actually go up or attack non catholics such as the muslims pagens orthodox and sun worshippers

An agresive Ai is the most fun to play but it requires thought and planning if you expect to just willy nilly conqueor and have the other factions sit back and go meh let him have what he wants your kidding yourself thats realistic the world let hitler take poland but when his eye turned even further did they sit back and go ah let him have it NO it became world war If you play like a tyrant to conqueor (and getting enough regions means you do if you try to do it quickly ) then they will gang up on you .

So i dont think its agressive AI thats the problem more that you play ill to agressive AI but then also find it to boring when the Ai is defensive try an agresive AI buit adapt some of the ideas i have given there are many more such as marry your daughters in an aliance to surrounding factions to buy peace from them when you go to war elsewhere etc Play smarter or you will be a victim of your own conquest . I am not a fan of slower defensive AIs as they allow you to much freedom to take what you want and steam roll the world so really decide how you wish to play

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

penquin11's Avatar Biarchus

that is really wierd, My AI acts with total epicness in every campaign, I wonder why......

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Firez View Post
    I dont play this mod so its hard for me to comment but i have done alot of work with AI and it seems what you want may be hard to achieve well without changing your playing style the nature of the beast is you can make the Ai very defensive and this boredom you speak of will happen or you can make it aggresive and this ganging up you speak of will happen . why will ganging up happen on a aggresive Ai well one of the factors the Ai looks at when deciding to attack is your list of alies and enemies so if you have made few friends and many enemies you are weak to attack so it goes to war against you

If you go for an agresive Ai you can avoid this ganging up by one doing alot of diplomacy with the other factions offering them gifts of map info etc to keep there relations with you high when and if you attack nations send a diplomat first and ask for something they wont give with the demand of accept or we attack so your global standing doesnt drop when you do . play smart lure your first victim to attack you till he is excomed so then you will not only not be penalised for attacking him you standing with other catholics will actually go up or attack non catholics such as the muslims pagens orthodox and sun worshippers

An agresive Ai is the most fun to play but it requires thought and planning if you expect to just willy nilly conqueor and have the other factions sit back and go meh let him have what he wants your kidding yourself thats realistic the world let hitler take poland but when his eye turned even further did they sit back and go ah let him have it NO it became world war If you play like a tyrant to conqueor (and getting enough regions means you do if you try to do it quickly ) then they will gang up on you .

So i dont think its agressive AI thats the problem more that you play ill to agressive AI but then also find it to boring when the Ai is defensive try an agresive AI buit adapt some of the ideas i have given there are many more such as marry your daughters in an aliance to surrounding factions to buy peace from them when you go to war elsewhere etc Play smarter or you will be a victim of your own conquest . I am not a fan of slower defensive AIs as they allow you to much freedom to take what you want and steam roll the world so really decide how you wish to play
    Thanks for this helpfull post, I guess I'll just give the vanilla unmodded campaign another go and see if I can get anywhere with that info.

Penquin: Do you have this mod installed? Does your AI declare any wars in 50 turns or take over ANY rebel regions?

penquin11's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by damunk View Post
    Thanks for this helpfull post, I guess I'll just give the vanilla unmodded campaign another go and see if I can get anywhere with that info.

Penquin: Do you have this mod installed? Does your AI declare any wars in 50 turns or take over ANY rebel regions?
    Yes of course I do, and yes I frequently see factions take over places, however I do find that for this to be accelerated there must be a war..... I find that factions are slow to buy units due to their unusually high initial cost (though the upkeep is pretty low) and that once you limit the cost that the AI will go insane in recruiting. I find that certain factions do take time to develop, while others just explode in an awe of strength such as the Mongols and surprisingly the Portuguese. I find that factions with Great leaders act out alot more as well.... Hope that helps. If you want the AI more aggressive just edit the text files to make them more prone to expansion..... But remember that more aggression will mean less diplomacy or trade.....