Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Morrowind - Has it not aged well?

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Default Morrowind - Has it not aged well?

Now, during the Steam sales I bought a bunch of random games, one of them being Morrowind when it was on sale for £2-3 or so. Bargain I thought. A few days ago, I got round to installing it and going for the tutorial, but it really struck me as really, really dated.

Now, I usually love playing retro games. I bought Jade Empire and loved playing through that. I bought Half Life 1 last year and loved that game. I always often end up playing old PS1 games amongst others. But Morrorwind feels really dated. Bad graphics? Sure, no problem, expected. All conversations in text? Again, no problem. But the major gripe is this, the menu system and the tutorial are next to useless. Right click to open menus? What the? I'm simply told what the buttons are then told to go somewhere, somewhere I have no idea of it's location because the menu's are so damn awful? Oblivion's tutorial was great, I understood everything bar the hellish level up system by the time I left the sewers, but I really can't get into Morrowind.

Morrowind is obviously revered as a classic, and it must be. I've played Oblivion and loved that game, so I figured Morrowind would be fine for one playthrough, but once I got out of that office I felt no compulsion to really go anywhere. I was confused and simply baffled by how to operate the menus. I'd love to give Morrowind another go, so i'm just wondering if someone can give me some tips on getting into the game proper and actually having some fun with it.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Default Re: Morrowind - Has it no aged well?

I played Oblivion first. When I played Morrowind. I considered it one of the worst games I have ever played.

Magic Man's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Morrowind - Has it not aged well?

Ive started playing Morrowind again, its amaaaaazing. And not even because of Nostalgia, because i enjoyed Oblivion too.

What are your problems exactly, the menu system? Its all fairly obvious...
    Maybe if you give some specific problems i can help?

Also, the guy should give you some instructions as to what to do along with a package. Personally i never do the main quest until late in the game, i just shoot off in a random direction and often get caught up in some plot/story. Thats why i love Morrowind, i think. You can sort've do that in oblivion, but its more like shooting off in a random direction after following the beaten path, and then having to turn back to the path because the random direction didn't last long enough or have a compelling enough story.

*shrugs*

gambit's Avatar Gorak

Mods are a must just like Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Morrowind was great back into 2002-2004 .
    I played it 3 times and 4 times with expansions. The worse thing for me was monsters being too weak when you get developed ,though Tribunal and specialy Bloodmoon were challenging.
    Graphix ? It was for videocards from 32 Mb,though I knew the guy who played it on Nvidia TNT2 (?) 16 Mb
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

Morrowind's menus are far more suited to the PC than Oblivion's actually.

Basically, you right click, and that brings up your inventory, character screen, map, and magic menu all at once. You can resize them to your liking too. Now, there are some less intuitive things, like alchemy.

Was there anything specific you're having problems with, with regard to menus?

You seem like a person of high intellect, so I would think that Morrowind's story and style generally might appeal to you more than Oblivion.

But basically, if you don't like reading, then you wont like Morrowind, because almost none of the dialogue is voiced.

Morrowind's menus are far more suited to the PC than Oblivion's actually.

Basically, you right click, and that brings up your inventory, character screen, map, and magic menu all at once. You can resize them to your liking too. Now, there are some less intuitive things, like alchemy.

Was there anything specific you're having problems with, with regard to menus?
    I just can't get my head around the Morrowind menus. I hate how they all come up with just a right click. I find it really annoying to get to the menu I want and it's got a real counter-intuitive feel about it. With Oblivion, they were all nicely tabbed and I could see at a glance what each one actually did and meant. With Morrowind I just feel very cluttered.

Because of this, I also have no idea how to operate the map properly, or how to view a quest journal, thus I have absolutely no idea where i'm to go whatsoever.

The graphics and lack of voice acting is a non issue btw. It's really just the menu.

Have you just got Morrowind, or do you have its expansions? With Bloodmoon + Tribunal, the Journal becomes a whole lot more useful as you are able to view individual quests rather than trying to find them in all the pages of quests/conversations you might have. Simply open the Journal, and click options, you'll then be able to search by word/letters or if you have the expansions to filter by quests. Which will then be displayed in Alphabetical order.

In Regards to the menus, they're very simple.

1. The map, is shown to the top right here. The little squares are points of interest (they're usually doors, but they tell you the name of the building/cave/whatever the door leads to).
    You click on little World button, inside the ''Map menu'' to switch between local and world. Local displays where you are on a zoomed in level, world displays, the world. Well, the Island.
    Left click and drag on the map to move around it. The little yellow arrow, is you. North is up and the other directions you can figure out for yourself, haha.

2. The top left menu displays your Name, level, race etc in the top left box inside the top left menu. Below that is a list of your attributes.

To the right of that are displayed your Major skills, your minor skills, and your Misc skills. You only level up by improving your Major or Minor skills. A point to note is that you can buy training as many times as you like per level. If you level up a few times in even a misc skill, you'll get the bonus x5 or whatever to your stat choice when you level up. So say shortblade (relying on speed) is a misc skill, you can train up 5 times in it, and gain the x5 modifier to your speed attribute if you choose it when you level up, even though its a misc skill.

Simply scroll down to see everything. At the bottom is displayed your Bounty + Reputation.

3. Directly below this menu is the Inventory menu. Really very simple. The tabs switch between different types of item. You can figure this one out yourself.

The picture displays how fashionable you look in your fancy armour, and displays your total armour value below this. Total weight carried is displayed above the picture. In this case, 12lbs out of maximum of 250. As your strength increases, this maximum will increase.

4. To the right of this is the spell menu, displaying special powers first (these are usually race specific, although you can gain some through quests.)

Below this are learnt spells.

Below this are your Magic items and scrolls.

Simply click on any of these to select them, this will now be the spell you are ready to cast.

I really don't know why ive gone out of my way to be helpful. I must be ill.

Oh and the cost/chance next to spells displays A) Their Magicka cost, and B) The chance you will cast the spell successfully. This will depend on your fatigue/magical ability.
    Last edited by Astaroth; January 13, 2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: double post merged

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

How'd you make the menu blue?

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

Witchcraft.

That isn't a screenshot of my game, its one pulled off the internet.

Doubtless its a mod that made it blue, theres so so so many mods for Morrowind. When i was younger i had most of them.. Now im just playing vanilla.

This is probs the best Morrowind mod site : http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co...p?content=mods

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    I just can't get my head around the Morrowind menus. I hate how they all come up with just a right click. I find it really annoying to get to the menu I want and it's got a real counter-intuitive feel about it. With Oblivion, they were all nicely tabbed and I could see at a glance what each one actually did and meant. With Morrowind I just feel very cluttered.

Because of this, I also have no idea how to operate the map properly, or how to view a quest journal, thus I have absolutely no idea where i'm to go whatsoever.

The graphics and lack of voice acting is a non issue btw. It's really just the menu.
    I find tabs to be a useless waste of time, personally. But just remember that the journal is separate from everything else, and you should get used to it. It's well worth it to stick around, as the game is simply brilliant.

Oh, the quick key for the journal is the 'J' key.

And as Fake Garbarsardar there explains, you'll want the expansions. I will concede that the journal is a nightmare without the expansions, and only half-decent with them.

It's GotY edition, so i've got all the expansions.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll be sure to give it a go when i've got time.

One word of advice man, if you can, install the expansions later.

Otherwise Latest rumours will keep mentioning Solstheim and the Tribunal. And you'll be attacked by.. well i don't want to ruin it, but it'll be silly if you install the expansions before you've hit level 10.

My current dude is level 21, and im finding it tough going doing the expansions.

Move along..... scum.

Last edited by Magic Man; January 14, 2010 at 06:13 AM.

It's not possible to remove the expansions. It's Steam, so it's all as one package.

Also, in regards to combat, is there any sort've knack to it? It seems all i'm doing is either running round and using my bow or stabbing things with my knife, there doesn't seem to be any block / parry like Oblivion. What i'm doing hasn't really worked either, as i'm getting owned by rats in someone's house -_-.

You block automatically depending on your block skill. You aim at and click to attack it. Knives have a short reach, so make sure you're close.
    If your fatigue is low you'll hardly hit anything. Your chance of hitting depends on your skill with the weapon.

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

When it got launched it was the best. Played it like mad. Guess if you give it a try right now for the first time you'll be disappointed badly. It's kinda clunky, lots of texts to read and a general feel of "wrong". I tried playing it again recently, it didn't have the same kick.

But back then, those were the best water effects in the land and everything looked "alive". That lame dialogue system didn't bother me one bit. You were a cool kid just for playing it.

btw, I still consider it great because it didn't give you much help in quests. Didn't have that green arrow pointing the direction like Oblivion had. No sir, it was just "follow the river, first fork in the road turn west and at the big pile of rocks turn straight south. there's the cave". It had 0 tolerance for whiners.
    No.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

The combat is the worst thing in Morrowind. or the Cliff Racers?

I'd not say that if you try the game right now you'd be disappointed. Surely, some would. But I've played it after Oblivion and enjoyed much. First I was irritated by the quests where they just send you into the blue. I remember playing for Redoran as doing the first quest. I could not find that woman and her guars for more than an hour. But once you learn these Morrowind's landmarks and fast travel using teleportation to different temples to jump through the map, it's amazing! I started to hate Oblivions green arrow's system for lazybones.

However, you should be prepaired, that Morrowind is all about running around the map for thousands of times, so better make a long playlist

Haha yes, notfinding stuff can be frustrating. Still better than Oblivion's GPS though.

@Musthavename

You'll typically miss half the shots with the bow until your skill is in the 30s/40s. Also, if you shoot an arrow and look at where it goes, you'll see it dip or suddenly go up in the middle of the flight sometimes - allow for this when you aim. For some reason it usually goes upwards in my game.

And you will only block automatically, and only if you have a shield equiped. Don't bother with it though, it wont happen nearly enough at low levels of the skill, and it's slow to level up because you use it so infrequently.

Bow + short blade has worked fine for me before. Maybe you're just low level atm, and fighting things that are too powerful. Remember, there's no scaling in Morrowind.
    Last edited by ivan_the_terrible; January 14, 2010 at 03:49 PM.

There is some scaling... As you go up in levels lower level monsters start to get replaced by higher level ones. I think thats mostly just outside in the wildnerness, though.

And they can still be too tough for you. Its not like Oblivion where you'll be able to take anything you meet one vs one.

Morrowind - I don't play that since 2007. After M&B, I too find it dated.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast