Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hot is Africa

Robertclive's Avatar Primicerius

Default How hot is Africa

Is it really that hot
    Last edited by Robertclive; January 13, 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Default Re: Is africa that hot and dangerous

Because people don't choose where they're born?

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Because when it's so hot and dangerous outside, there's little to do inside but have sex.

Because there too poor to use condoms. The upper part of Africa (Egypt) is much better then any other countries in Africa.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A political question or perhaps a historical one, def. not a travel question.... But I will resist the report button and instead turn the answer around...

Africa is 4 times larger then Europe IIRC, it's not like there is a tribe with a gun on every corner Just contact your embassy or a traveling forum, they will instantly tell you where in which country is hot/not. Are you traveling to a peticular country/region in Africa, let me know

^Mono
    That can be argued, Marocco and SA is not that bad.... Relativly speaking.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivilombudsmannen View Post
    A political question or perhaps a historical one, def. not a travel question.... But I will resist the report button and instead turn the answer around...

Africa is 4 times larger then Europe IIRC, it's not like there is a tribe with a gun on every corner Just contact your embassy or a traveling forum, they will instantly tell you where in which country is hot/not. Are you traveling to a peticular country/region in Africa, let me know

^Mono
    That can be argued, Marocco and SA is not that bad.... Relativly speaking.

~Wille
    Actually, if you look at Economy/HDI, egypt is the highest scorer.

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: How hot is Africa

The arab north african countries are much better places to live than anywhere else in Africa.
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

LOL

this is the second of such questions

First "is arabia a desert" and now "is africa hot" . Geography lessons anyone ?

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Stick to Northern Africa or Southern Africa, its that nasty middle part that gets you.

In all honesty, Africa's not as bad as made out to be. Most countries are on par with the Balkans (depends on how you see the Balkans really ).

Here's a list of good-to-go countries that are safe to visit, so long as you bring a bag of condoms:

-Tanzania
    -Kenya
    -Djibouti (beautiful women, DJ City is hella fun as well, nice hotels too, safest place in Africa)
    -Uganda
    -North African countries minus Mauritania and Sudan
    -Ghana
    -Botswana
    -Angola
    -Namibia
    -South Africa

That's all I can think of at the moment in terms of decent economies, safety, and liberalization.

Sun Devil's Avatar Campidoctor

-Angola
    Didnt a soccer teams bus just get raked with machinegun fire there?

Formerly Vuvuzela

Quote Originally Posted by USC_Trojans View Post
    Didnt a soccer teams bus just get raked with machinegun fire there?
    Yep, but that was in an area "controlled" by rebels.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

hot for what ? temperature ?

Depend where you are going, you can reach 55°C in moroccan desert, so I guess even more in deeper part of the Sahara, but it's dry, there's no problem living with that. Well, at least I was ok

Now if you go in central africa, relative humidity is almost always 100%, in these conditions, even 30° are hard to live.

Now if you speak about dangerous or not ...
    Obviously not, exept if you go where there are civil wars, but it's not more dangerous than if you have a walk in your europeans cities poor/dangerous parts

For example, Africa in overall is less dangerous than Napoli, so why people go to Naple but is afraid going in africa ?? dunno ...

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Africa is a dangerous scary place filled with Majini. If you must go to those evil lands be sure to take Chris Redfield with you.
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Tominokar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Tajir View Post
    Stick to Northern Africa or Southern Africa, its that nasty middle part that gets you.

In all honesty, Africa's not as bad as made out to be. Most countries are on par with the Balkans (depends on how you see the Balkans really ).

Here's a list of good-to-go countries that are safe to visit, so long as you bring a bag of condoms:

-Tanzania
    -Kenya
    -Djibouti (beautiful women, DJ City is hella fun as well, nice hotels too, safest place in Africa)
    -Uganda
    -North African countries minus Mauritania and Sudan
    -Ghana
    -Botswana
    -Angola
    -Namibia
    -South Africa

That's all I can think of at the moment in terms of decent economies, safety, and liberalization.
    Minus Algeria from that and add Rwanda, Zambia and Madagascar. I'm pretty sure Malawi and Mozambique are also okay.
    Last edited by Tominokar; January 19, 2010 at 05:10 PM.

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

What exactly do you judge as safe, Tajir and Tominokar? Personally i would be put off by the rampant capital punishment for homosexuality, civil wars, aids, malaria, poverty and complete lack of clean water in most of the African continent.

I suppose i shouldn't be so picky, the gunshot wound would be a good souvenir and there is probably more to do in Rwanda than in Tenerife. Plus there aren't quite so many orange British working class people.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Magic Man's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I wouldn't want to go to Africa as a hot woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    What exactly do you judge as safe, Tajir and Tominokar? Personally i would be put off by the rampant capital punishment for homosexuality, civil wars, aids, malaria, poverty and complete lack of clean water in most of the African continent.

I suppose i shouldn't be so picky, the gunshot wound would be a good souvenir and there is probably more to do in Rwanda than in Tenerife. Plus there aren't quite so many orange British working class people.
    1. Laws against homosexuality/drugs etc. are very rarely enforced, particularly if you're a western tourist.
    2. Even if the country has a 'civil war' it is usually very localised and in a remote region. Stay in the right places and you're fine (in sub-sahara, westerners don't normally factor into the factions interests anyway).
    3. Aids is of course very easy to avoid - just don't have sexual relations with locals, and if you must double up.
    4. Poverty is a part of life - everyone should have to see it at some point so they get some perspective. You'd also find in pretty much every country in the world.
    5. Bottled water is cheap and can be bought everywhere, failing that then it can be boiled and/or purified with some tasty iodine tablets.

The main things I would look out for are high violent crime rates (most of Africa ain't actually as bad as you'd think, or again it's localised) and anti-western sentiments. The latter isn't really a problem in most of sub-sahara, except for of course Zimbabwe.

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Tominokar View Post
    1. Laws against homosexuality/drugs etc. are very rarely enforced, particularly if you're a western tourist.
    Fair enough, even so the penalties are far worse than anything we have in the Western World for any criminal activity. Not to mention vigilante action, which is enforced more commonly.

2. Even if the country has a 'civil war' it is usually very localised and in a remote region. Stay in the right places and you're fine (in sub-sahara, westerners don't normally factor into the factions interests anyway).
    They might kidnap you. Westerners are often kidknapped in some West Coast countries.

4. Poverty is a part of life - everyone should have to see it at some point so they get some perspective. You'd also find in pretty much every country in the world.
    Yes, i'd rather not have to look at someone dying of malnutrition while i'm on holiday. Besides, there are better places to go for poverty sightseers, eg India, Moldova, etc. I get enough poverty where i myself live to know what it is like, even if its not quite the same scale as India and Africa. Please don't think i'm a spoilt brat, i do a little bit of charity work myself for African and Indian communities.

5. Bottled water is cheap and can be bought everywhere, failing that then it can be boiled and/or purified with some tasty iodine tablets.
    Again, i prefer pretreated tap water to 'depathogenise your own water, now with only 50% chance of diarrhoea' when i'm on a holiday.

The main things I would look out for are high violent crime rates (most of Africa ain't actually as bad as you'd think, or again it's localised) and anti-western sentiments. The latter isn't really a problem in most of sub-sahara, except for of course Zimbabwe.
    Actually i was thinking of going to Zimbabwe, i have (white) friends from there, and they place the locals in very high esteem in regard to hospitality etc.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

@Tominokar or anyone else

Every been to Ivory coast? I heard there was a Civil war in north/west. Do you have any idea how it is now? Nevertheless, it was great there back in 94. Great people, much free hospitality in villages and hospitales, and very very hot (temprature wise). I still remember my brother saying it was extremly hot when we came out the airplane in Abijan. but the plane exit was behind the plane so we were standing in the engine heat hehe, still very hot tho.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

They might kidnap you. Westerners are often kidknapped in some West Coast countries.
    Yeh the muslim countries are different, but it really is still very unlikely. The biggest danger in Africa, which you haven't mentioned, are the roads. I'm going back in the summer and this is the only thing that I actually feel a bit nervous about (though after a while there you really don't care). The driving is reckless and often terrible, and numerous potholes add to the fun. In Uganda we often used boda bodas as well (motorbike taxis), 2 of us passengers clinging to the back, no helmets, weaving around potholes and traffic. Seems crazy now but I know I'll get used to it again

Yes, i'd rather not have to look at someone dying of malnutrition while i'm on holiday. Besides, there are better places to go for poverty sightseers, eg India, Moldova, etc. I get enough poverty where i myself live to know what it is like, even if its not quite the same scale as India and Africa. Please don't think i'm a spoilt brat, i do a little bit of charity work myself for African and Indian communities.
    It wasn't aimed as an attack at you or anything. In my experience the poverty in Africa doesn't feel the same as poverty in other countries - it's much less depressing. Because so many people are below the poverty line anyway they don't really see themselves as disadvantaged. People just get on with their lives and seem a lot happier and more welcoming than rich people over here. When you look around you'll see plenty of beaming white grins, which can't be said, for example, the poor areas of London.

Again, i prefer pretreated tap water to 'depathogenise your own water, now with only 50% chance of diarrhoea' when i'm on a holiday.
    I had diarrhoea once in four months whilst in East Africa, and it wasn't because of water. Just drink bottled, it's not difficult. You should in any non-Western country anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivilombudsmannen View Post
    @Tominokar or anyone else
    Every been to Ivory coast?
    Nope, yet to do West Africa. My French sucks which puts me off a bit.
    Last edited by Tominokar; January 22, 2010 at 04:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast