Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTW in MTW2 TOTAL CONVERSION Project idea

Icon14 MTW in MTW2 TOTAL CONVERSION Project idea

Hello I'd want to make a new mod for MTW2 with basically original MTW style map and gameplay conversion with MTW2 3D map engine but with MTW1 map with a similar risk type system and similar gameplay and atmosphere, but with M2TW diplomacy, economy, combat, battles, family tree, population and all MTW2 good features with MTW2 graphics and engine... It's my DREAM mod... I know it's a big and hard project but I want to start out with it and maybe I whish if someone can help me with this project? I am a huge MTW and MTW2 fun and I would like to make a total conversion but keeping similar as possible MTW with improvement M2TW made...

I call it Medieval Total War classic Total Conversion mod....

It will have all the factions and units possible and then when someone will break hardcoded limits I could put more on it! But for now we will stand to about 500 units and 31 factions with different factions for every of 3 eras as MTW1 was!

All MTW units, artworks, charachters, music and map will be remade with engine of MTW2... I am new to modding and I wish to know how could a risk style 3D map work? An hybrid between the two would be doable? Basically maintain 3D map but with 2D Risk map movement and armies all joining the the attached or the besiegeing army (as was in MTW) but with dynamic 3D terrain where you fight in the area of the map where the main army is located

It's hard to explain my english is not the best but btw.... However imagine MTW1+balancment and variety of mods as and SS 6.4 and many other scripts added....

Originally I intended to use MTW but it's pretty limited in hardcoding so can't improve much but using MTW2 with newer engine, features, mechanics and re-create MTW1 with good MTW2 things, options and graphics would be a BLAST!

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Default Re: MTW in MTW2 TOTAL CONVERSION Project idea

Nah, you can't swap the map to M1's system. Movement will always work the same, though you could theoretically use different terrain types for the regions and use custom colorstextures. But there are certainly less terrain types allowed than there would be regions.
    Aut prodesse voluit aut delectare auctor aut simul et iucunda et idonea dicere vitae.

Medieval II Stuff: Medieval & Viking Invasion music addon | Bellum Crucis Enhanced All-In-One | Elendil's Font Packs & Eye Candy | Alba di Rinascita - Fonts pack (included in the former) | The Eldar Scrolls - Fonts pack

Quote Originally Posted by Elendil 03 View Post
    Nah, you can't swap the map to M1's system. Movement will always work the same, though you could theoretically use different terrain types for the regions and use custom colorstextures. But there are certainly less terrain types allowed than there would be regions.

Sorry what you mean by different terrain types? Explain me please in more details... Maybe I could do a 3D map MTW2 engine map is (as we know) but with color and textures in chosmetic of the map 3D but maybe with a MTW1 color and textures but with dinamic terrain sistem as MTW2 where you fight in the place you are (ambush, or bridge, or forest etc. where your army stands... instead of casual terrain in MTW) but maybe put much more movement points to the army so you can go from a province to other in 1 turn as in MTW just to reflect the gameplay movement style but in a MTW2 way?? And maybe make a system where the place where you are fighting if you other armies around the territory of the province they can automatically join in the battle attacker or defender army so all troops join as reinforcements from all the troops stated in that region?

What is doable of that? What could I do to reflect that type of system?

Came here just to say that Medieval 1 was amazing.

Menu music for the chills:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khY_6ZHY68o

The soundtrack will be the easiset thing to do and the models and textures I am learning to mod I'm a war beginner.... But I start with the small things... the hardest thing to do is the map maybe do a mix between the two system used in MTW and MTW2 but with mtw2 engine and mtw1 influence

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaTheGreat View Post
    The soundtrack will be the easiset thing to do and the models and textures I am learning to mod I'm a war beginner.... But I start with the small things... the hardest thing to do is the map maybe do a mix between the two system used in MTW and MTW2 but with mtw2 engine and mtw1 influence

Movement and terrain will be like MTW2 but map style and reinforcements joining from the whole region instead of the army engaged in a specific place (so to avoid many small insignificant battles and just less more decisive battle as MTW) engage from the whole region and so all work with kingdoms reinforcement system... Another element from MTW is the map style atmosphere less colors and more risk texture looking but maintain the 3D elements (bridge, rivers, forest, mountains etc.) with less colors and more grim atmosphere from MTW. Movement and terrain matching are same as MTW2 because the engine wouldn't allowing otherwise. But I will increase movement so every army can reach the other region in 1 turn (as happened in MTW)

fleets will be commercial (automatic generated automatic trade as mtw2) but with military fleets which can blockade enemy sea regions if they are at war with other specific factions and if you blockade port you can block the supply to the enemy castle/city so they will fall or surrender because they're food supplies will be much reduced having port and communication blocked.... Does it would work? Diplomacy, economy and politics are like MTW2 but with princess having options to henrite other faction lands as in MTW (which was very rare, whish making it better there in MTW2) and the diplomatic options and system as in MTW2 but fixing the problem "always at war" and broken alliances... want to make diplomacy better working keeping the new diplomacy options mtw2 has from start! But only better working and the possibility to henrite lands as in MTW and maybe dinastic unions script with a marriage... like hasburg and hungary or lithuania and poland joning toghether same thing from some factions!

The models, textures, UI and unit card will be changed more to MTW style but with M2TW graphics beauty (i will improve textures and aninmations even further as new maps for different regions) so the goal is to take the best from MTW with good elements from mtw1 style combined with mtw2 engine and best mtw2 features... of course movement and terrain are MTW2 ones because of hardcodding limits

Currently, what do you know about modding?

Regarding MTW2 modding not much, I only know to edit some files and change some lines, for now thats all. But I want to learn to do the rest! Thats why I ask if my ideas are possible to achieve. What you think about?

I only know that MTW2 has a lot of potential in terms of modding and I whish to know what can I do how to start where to start and what is achievable of things I wrote in the upper post

Regarding MTW2 modding not much, I only know to edit some files and change some lines, for now thats all. But I want to learn to do the rest! Thats why I ask if my ideas are possible to achieve. What you think about?
    Well, in order for you to do anything close to what you want, you would need to gain a lot more knowledge regarding mapping, settlements and scripts. For now I suggest you to search for mods that have some of the features that you like, play them and start editing some of its aspects until you gain more experience and then decide what you would like to change. Maybe SSHIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Well, in order for you to do anything close to what you want, you would need to gain a lot more knowledge regarding mapping, settlements and scripts. For now I suggest you to search for mods that have some of the features that you like, play them and start editing some of its aspects until you gain more experience and then decide what you would like to change. Maybe SSHIP.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm doing that I search mods, watch, follow and play them so I can have an idea and learn to script, then make models, textures etc.

you have a big modding experience I guess? If yes could you please tell me if my wishes are achievable with M2TW game engine? I am playing SSHIP and SS 6.4 and I'm learning a lot and considering they coded and scripted many things so I think there's a chance for create a MTW1 map style system with M2TW graphics, dinamic terrain and movement as in MTW2 engine but the question is how further I can go and how much of MTW style is doable? I am curious just asking your opinion considering your good knowledge in modding

When I gain more experience I will start the project work! MTW1 is my favourite game ever with MTW2 as close second!

Lusitanio only one question it's only my curiosity does with scripting is possible to give to the map the MTW1 feel and make a battle system like MTW where all troops from the region join to the point the main army is attacked or the army attacks like MTW?

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Lusitanio only one question it's only my curiosity does with scripting is possible to give to the map the MTW1 feel and make a battle system like MTW where all troops from the region join to the point the main army is attacked or the army attacks like MTW?
    Nope, they would already have to be in close proximity (within the so-called 'zone of control') of the battle to join the battle as allies/reinforcements.

I see, that's a pity.... Well at least I can make the map more similar to MTW and add the MTW atmosphere, portraits and similar interface, music and sounds with mtw1 features that mtw2 vanilla don't have?

It would be better that or use MTW directly and instead add to MTW with codding and scripting new diplomatic options from MTW2, papal election and collegium, witches, heretics, population mechanics and all that things from MTW2 to MTW1 engine game so I have MTW map and system? Or it would be more doable the first option I mentioned above? What is more convenient and doable?

I tell that because my dream is MTW as it is with M2TW new interesting options and features, but if MTW is too hardcodded from adding new interface, diplomatic deals, sabotage, papal election etc. and things the game never had would it be more convenient to take MTW2 engine but make a total conversion to make things easier and instead with that engine try to remake MTW within limits of MTW2 engine it would be good to make regions more risked style but with 3D environment inside the region with all the details.... a mix of both would be acceptable for the MTW2 engine to handle? But I don't know how to do that... because a part from adding MTW music, units, portraits, sounds and some interface I want more than that make the gameplay and map more as MTW was with MTW2 engine and the innovations MTW2 did (in battle, graphics, options, diplomacy, economy, more variety of units etc.)

Can someone tell me if does exist a mod similar to what I want which is close to what I'm aiming for? If not I will make a mod myself, I know MTW2 has limits but it's quite flexible maybe some things with the map system can be switchable with some scripting and codding, I guess some people there has experience and maybe could have good ways of doing that or similar as possible to MTW risk style (something close at least) with M2TW map engine and 3D environment and dynamic terrain

With battle and reinforcements as Razor says it's not doable because in MTW2 armies engage only in the place the area of battle is, so this is not possible... movement of MTW is not possible as regions are 3D open environment not just risk chess style... so even that not possible... Could someone have a good idea how to tweak that and bypass the limitations with some good scripting or codding? I am learning a lot following mod guides and playing other mods so I making some experience

What is suggested to do with the project? impossible to make it similar to MTW or to mod MTW with MTW2 new features and diplomacy and graphics but keeping MTW map style system? I don't know what to do I am undecided... MTW2 should be more flexible?

Nichola I share your love for MTW, it was a really good game. But there are things that are just impossible to do and while MTW is a risk game, M2TW is simply too different. You could try to make some things similar, such as similar interface, sounds and music, but the rest will need to be different.

My advise for you would be to play some SSHIP and work on a submod for it.

I understand, so what I will do is take SSHIP as it is make a submod for it making the texture colors of the map less colorful and more white and gray with a texture MTW darker color style (it's not a risk map but I will make it similar to it only in cosmetics and aestethycs while map system and movement remain as MTW2 system) and I will add some MTW1 features like burn population for cardinals and inquisitors and kill your own faction leader for treason as spies and assasins could do in MTW and other thing I will add is penalty for the kingdoms by naval isolation and GA mode for all factions (global achievemnts) with a script... If they added civil war and remerge factions in SSHIP these small things shouldn't be a problem considering SSHIP already has a lot of MTW1 features and atmosphere right? , only adding these features missing to what SSHIP has with a MTW texture darker color style but MTW2 system will remain considering I can't change other things that should be the max I can do I guess? At least these small things could be workable? it's onl colors and textures and some features for agents and GA the rest will remain as it is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast