Thread: Suggestion: Kwaraz/Persian units and Chinese Siegue Weaponary

Default Suggestion: Kwaraz/Persian units and Chinese Siegue Weaponary

Hi! I think that could be an awesome addition to the roster of the Kwaraz/Persian factions the units made for Caudillo87 of his submod of Stainless Steel: My new Komnenian/Khwaraz Unit Roster. Besides he has also several fantastic units for the Roman Empire. You can ask him if can let you to use his units. Here some examples:

Link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...az-Unit-Roster

Khalaj Horse Archers

Khalaj Cavalry

Daylami Heavy Infantry

Persian Nobles

On other hand I read that one of the reasons of that the mongols could conquest very quickly several of the principal cities of the Kwarazmian empire was because they had the very advanced chinese siegue weaponary at their service, which also used Hulagu Khan during the siegue of Bagdhad of 1258. So how you have a Yelü Dasy in your team maybe you can add some of his chinese siegue weaponary in the mongol roster. Here some examples:

Sijiao Catapults

The Hudun Pao (虎 蹲 砲) or "Crouching Tiger" Catapult, is a medium-sized catapult appearing first during the middle of the Tang dynasty. The Hudun Pao has a simple triangular frame and fires relatively light projectiles, the most common being explosive grenades to do wide area damage to the attacking army arrayed outside the city walls. It is a powerful catapult for its size, with its simple frame allowing for rapid deployment and yet being sturdy enough for a wide variety and range of projectiles.

This variant of the Hudun Pao is mounted with wheels. The stable triangular frame of this particular catapult lent itself readily to the addition of wheels. Traditionally Chinese catapults are sunk a few feet into the ground for stability.

As the Song are not used to besieging cities, the Hudun Pao is used defensively, usually firing against encamped enemy troops outside the city walls. The arched trajectory of the catapult made hitting troop concentrations or attacking artillery for maximum damage with exploding bombs or shrapnel-type projectiles more achievable.

Sangong Chuangzi Nu

The "Sangong Chuangzi Nu" or "Triple-bow Little Bed" arcuballista was the pinnacle of Chinese multiple bow evolution. Fitted with crosshaired "gun" sights and firing bolts metres long, these giant crossbows can devast nomad cavalry, helping defend the northern frontier against the increasingly powerful enemy. Special regiments of SanGong Chuangzi Nu teams called "Chuangzi Nu Shou" or literally "Little Bed Crossbow Hands", were formed in A.D. 1016.

The siege crossbow trigger was a direct derivative of the handheld crossbow trigger mechanism, scaled upwards in proportion to the draw weight of the bow. By ingenously mounting multiple crossbow arms on together onto a single frame allows these weapons a higher rate of fire, achieved by alternating the firing and loading of the arcuballistas or by doubling the number of bolts fired through having them armed and fired at the same time. The normal operating range of a multi-bow siege crossbow is over 500 yards. Up to a certain distance, the bolts were armour piercing; these weapons were much feared because of their penetrating power.

Meng Huo Yiu Ju

"Strong Fire Oil Spurter"

Gunpowder-impregnated fuses for flame-throwers were one of the first uses of gunpowder in warfare in China. The Pen Huo Qi, or continuous flame-thrower was invented ca. A.D. 919, after having acquired the knowledge of the 7th century Byzantine 'spurting' flamethrower. The invention of this continuous flame-thrower is possible because of the dual piston bellows/pump developed a millennia ago during the Han dynasty. A true flamethrower, it could project a continuous unbroken flame of naphtha when it was slow-match ignited with a low-nitrate gunpowder composition.

Whilst often mounted on walls as a defensive device this version is mobile and is used on the battlefield to harass and charge enemy troop positions, projecting a sheet of flame forward to shield advancing infantry following behind it.

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; October 13, 2013 at 03:24 AM.

Default Re: Suggestion: Kwaraz/Persian units and Chinese Siegue Weaponary

The units are almost clones. I mean the diversity within unit is badly poor. Also BC already has Daylami Heavy Infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian_Noble View Post
    The units are almost clones. I mean the diversity within unit is badly poor. Also BC already has Daylami Heavy Infantry.
    Maybe some of the Kwaraz/Persian units has the same or similar aspect but their quality is very high, but unless the Daylamite have several faces. And respect the chinese units I think that tey have enough variety like engineers of the siegue machines.

Surely the quality is typical for Caudillo - really good. But I miss something in those units, originality perhaps? Caudillo Roman units is a different thing, they are not only of high quality but also they have 'the spark' But that is just my personal feeling. Anyway how the Chinese units could suit BC?

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

The Khalaj were serving under the Ghurids. There even is a theory that modern Pashtun Ghilzay tribe originated from the Khalaj. They were also reported to live in Azerbaijan, Fars, Kerman, and I think also in Anatolia at some point, so it could be that they also were present in Khwarezm, but for the sake of diversity we will limit them to the Ghurid roster.

As for siege weaponry - I think it is a good idea to add it to the Mongol roster. Maybe that will make our Mongols a bit more effective in sieges.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    As for siege weaponry - I think it is a good idea to add it to the Mongol roster. Maybe that will make our Mongols a bit more effective in sieges.
    Ah, i can't wait to finally see gunpowder-units in BC.

I miss the rocket launchers... maybe they aren't totally historical (but like the Byzantine Flamethrower I assume that they are plausible until proven otherwise) BUT they're so much fun.
    A well informed opinion is a well formed opinion.