Thread: Silly questions

Foederatus

Icon5 Silly questions

I've bought Alexander and, although I'm not particularly fond of the game itself, the AI is pretty good. In fact, I've played a mod created for Alexander (Diadochi Total War) and it made me quite enthusiastic about using it. You probably already guessed my question: is Somnium Apostate Iuliani playable with Alexander?

Another silly question. I am about to install Somnium Apostate Iuliani on a new computer. Do I need to install anything else besides the beta v3.0 and patch 4? I seem to remember there was a campaign script for 355 and some other fixes. Do I need to find and install those too or are they included in the patch?

Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Silly questions

Beta 3.00 and patch 4 is all you need to install to have the lates version available.

Art by Joar

Installing the Beta and Patch will fix most issues, check the Bugs/Discussion threads
    for fixes for those, though.

@Alex.exe: I don't think Alex.exe would be compatible with this mod,
    as the starting armies for some(most) of the factions are Horde armies;
    that feature isn't in the Alex executable. I think.

e.g. You would need to make a campaign where Alex would work:
    No horde armies in descr_strat
    Hording disabled in descr_sm_factions(I think.)
    Shieldwall/schiltrom, etc. disabled in the export_descr_unit
    probably more little/big things, but that's what I remember
    right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pere_ubu View Post
    I've bought Alexander and, although I'm not particularly fond of the game itself, the AI is pretty good. In fact, I've played a mod created for Alexander (Diadochi Total War) and it made me quite enthusiastic about using it. You probably already guessed my question: is Somnium Apostate Iuliani playable with Alexander?
    I did get the last version of IJ to work with the Alx exe. But you need to do some modding.
    Sadly I can't find the post where I describe it and I don't remember what to do.
    Just try to start the game with the Alx.exe instead of the BI.exe. Just copy it into your rome folder.
    Then the game will ask you for a file, also copy that to the right place.
    Then you need to delete the hording feature out of descr_sm_factions. I don't remember if there was more to do, but they can better help you in the tech section.
    I'm pretty sure it's possible though.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

You need to do the following:

1. copy the chat_filter.san file from the alexander folder

2. edit the descr_sm_factions.txt file by removing the horde aspect. For example where is shows:

custom_battle_availability yes
    horde_min_units 60
    horde_max_units 100
    horde_max_units_reduction_every_horde 20
    horde_unit_per_settlement_population 200
    horde_min_named_characters 5
    horde_max_percent_army_stack 80
    horde_disband_percent_on_settlement_capture 15
    horde_disband_percent_on_settlement_capture 30
    horde_disband_percent_on_settlement_capture 45
    horde_disband_percent_on_settlement_capture 60
    horde_disband_percent_on_settlement_capture 100
    horde_unit horde heavy spearmen hun
    horde_unit hun horde horse
    horde_unit hun horde peasants
    horde_unit hun horde peasants
    can_sap no
    prefers_naval_invasions no

under the Huns faction. You need to remove all aspects relating to horde, so it will now look like this:

custom_battle_availability yes
    can_sap no
    prefers_naval_invasions no

This has to be done for each faction that has hording ability in the descr_sm_factions.txt file.

3. You do not need to remove schiltrom or shieldwall from the export_descr_unit.txt for it to work, though it doesn't hurt to do so.

4. You do not have to alter the descr_strat.txt file.

5. Custom battles WILL NOT work using the alex.exe. I haven't foound how to do this, though I think the reason is because Alex.exe is a successor of RTW. One way to make custom battles to work would be to edit all factions so that they comply with their corresponding RTW faction names instead of their BI ones, but you would then have to edit various txt files within BI to ensure it works. Of course, if you feel like it you could give it a try.

The campaign will work fine, and I have read that the AI is much better. I have always intended to have a version of IJ for the Alex.exe.

6. One last thing is the immortal trait and its anti trait needs to be included within the traits.txt file otherwise your characters will never die of old age. Yoy may have to search the TWC forum for the solution. Check out this thread for that and all things alex.exe.: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=134572

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Going to use this thread cause mine may also seem a silly question: is it normal that I can't speed up battles and have no interface whatsoever (formations, unit abilities, stances, etc) unless I hover my mouse where it should be, at which event it pops up? I mean battles are tiresome if I can't speed up the lousy beginning or the chase at the end. Is this meant to be or did I do something wrong?
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

I believe you have Minimal UI on, go to My computer/(your hard drive where Rome Total War is)/Program Files/The Creative Assembly/Rome Total War/IJ/preferences, and open the preferences file.

Search for(ctrl-F) Minimal, turn the FALSE there to TRUE. Make sure you use caps.

And it wasn't you; it's on by default.

Foederatus

Thanks everyone for your advice! Since I wasn't able to make IJ work on my computer with BI (I don't have a clue why, RTW, BI, Alex and other mods - IBFD, for example), I'll probably try to mod it to work with Alexander (as far as I remember, it's a lot more stable than BI)

Thanks everyone for your advice! Since I wasn't able to make IJ work on my computer with BI (I don't have a clue why, RTW, BI, Alex and other mods - IBFD, for example), I'll probably try to mod it to work with Alexander (as far as I remember, it's a lot more stable than BI)
    What computer specs do you have, mainly your graphics card?

Foederatus

Well, I have a laptop with a horrible graphics card - Mobile Intel® GMA 4500M - but with 4G of RAM. Fact is, the game (and other mods, like IBFD) runs very well, and so does MTW2 and a mod for that game (Stainless Steel), at the highest graphic settings. IJ is, until now, the only thing I wasn't able to run on this machine.

Well, I have a laptop with a horrible graphics card - Mobile Intel® GMA 4500M - but with 4G of RAM. Fact is, the game (and other mods, like IBFD) runs very well, and so does MTW2 and a mod for that game (Stainless Steel), at the highest graphic settings. IJ is, until now, the only thing I wasn't able to run on this machine.
    I can't run IJ either with my notebook. It's not just a lack of calculating power, there's some technical issue that crappy onboard graphics cards have with IJ.
    That of course isn't the fault of the modders, they can't help it if we want to use old computers to play it.

What error causes that you can't play it?
    I think it has something to do with the custom models.

Foederatus

There's no error. Simply, when I try to start a campaign it brings me back to the "Main Campaign/Custom Battle/Historical Battle" screen. Although I do believe it's because of the graphics card (I was able to play IJ on my previous notebook, which had an ATI Radeon, although it was inferior on all pther accounts), I don't think it's the models, since I could install and play IBFD and other mods with no problem whatsoever.

There's no error. Simply, when I try to start a campaign it brings me back to the "Main Campaign/Custom Battle/Historical Battle" screen. Although I do believe it's because of the graphics card (I was able to play IJ on my previous notebook, which had an ATI Radeon, although it was inferior on all pther accounts), I don't think it's the models, since I could install and play IBFD and other mods with no problem whatsoever.
    Somebody else will know for sure, but this problem sound like you missed installing an IJ patch, or something of that manner.
    Try looking in the installation instruction threads if you forgot something.
    It's not your hardware.

Foederatus

Unfortunately... been there, done that. I've reinstalled IJ for three or four times, I've redownloaded it, I've reinstalled RTW-BI... nothing happens. I can start the mod, but I cant't start the campaign. And, since the installation instructions are not very complicated, I don't think I've missed something.

Unfortunately... been there, done that. I've reinstalled IJ for three or four times, I've redownloaded it, I've reinstalled RTW-BI... nothing happens. I can start the mod, but I cant't start the campaign. And, since the installation instructions are not very complicated, I don't think I've missed something.
    I remember having that error, just not why or what fixed it.
    Somebody will know, tell them this:
    When I try to start a campaign it brings me back to the "Main Campaign/Custom Battle/Historical Battle" screen

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Just to be clear:

1. You need to have a clean install of RTW/BI

2. Install IJV3.0 Install into your RTW folder

3. Install Patch 4 into your RTW folder.

It should work then.

Foederatus

Thank you, Julianus Heraclius. The instructions were very clear from the start (not to mention I've installed IJ before, on another PC), but thanks, nonetheless. I'm still convinced the fault lies with my laptop and not with your mod.