Thread: Medieval 2 Gold will not install! damn error message!

Icon8 Medieval 2 Gold will not install! damn error message!

Whenever I install Medieval 2 I get this error message

An error (-5006 : 0x8000ffff) has occured while running the set up. Please make sure you have finished any previous set up and closed other applications if the error still occurs, please contacts your vendor: SEGA.

Error Code: -5006 : 0x8000ffff
    Error Information:
    >SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (841)
    PAPP:Medieval II Total War
    PVENDOR:SEGA (http://www.sega-europe.com)
    PGUID:C0698BDA-0D29-40EE-8570-A31106DF9AB1
    $12.0.0.49974
    @Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) BT_OTHER 256.64

So I searched for previous installations and found remnants of the demo and deleted it. This error happened again after I did that. This is really annoying, I was looking forward to playing this game and just got it today. Now Im thinking of finding "alternative ways" to getting the game and expansion and just using the disc and CD-Key with it. I had a similar error when I installed Red Alert 3 and I ended up getting the game using the "alternative way" and I did not even need the disc after that, I just used the games cd-key. Maybe something is wrong with my disc drives, maybe I should reinstall or try to update the drivers. Like the last game I tried to install (RA3) my main LG disc drive has trouble reading the game so I use the disc drive that came with my computer and it reads it.

Is there anyway I can fix this problem?
    Last edited by Bellis55; January 09, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Medieval 2 Gold will not install! damn error message!

If you have any other installs of the game, after you uninstall them including demo, you need to delete the Sega folder and run aregistry cleaner.

Since Red Alert 3 uses another version of Securom, and odds are why the backdoor for it, you need to contact Securom concerning both so you can play it legally.

So running a registry cleaner won't fix it? Also would it be safe to rollback my cd drive? Just uninstall the driver, will it prompt me to install it again next time I start up my computer? I read on another forum that someone had a problem like this and he fixed it doing that.
    Last edited by Bellis55; January 10, 2010 at 02:46 AM.

There is nothing wrong with Ccleaner or Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. It beats having to edit the registry by hand.

Players have had problems with blu-ray dvd players as the drivers they came with were not backward compatible with the old IDE format. One had to go but a IDE drive to play the game because of it. If you roll back your drviers, Windows should not care as long as it recognizes and can use the ones you installed.

Im trying the alternative way to fix this first, and the game is at 24.7% with 22-23 hours left. Doesn't securerom or whatever it is have some update for older drivers? I tried updating mine but it said it was up to date and it says 2001 beside both of them with Microsoft being the provider. Or would rolling back the drivers and installing them again possibly fix it?

If they say Microoft and 2001, leave them. That is what it will run on, then.

You may want to see if there is a newer firmware for your drive.

How do you check to see if there is newer firmware?

Check the website of your computer maker and/or drive maker for that model or type the model nuber into Google.

I just installed Medieval 2 Gold using the alternative way. I tried to mount the .... and it said emulation error, seems like it detected it. Then I used the disc and it said "Wrong disc inserted. Please insert the original "MED2GOLD" CD/DVD" then it gives the securrom site for more info. Is this because its not updated? Is there any way I can fix this?

It fpund your emulation software. Contact Securom. We cannot help you here. Cracks and emulations are considered illegal by Sega-reason for Securom, and cannot be discussed on this site according its Term of Service you agreed to to post here even if it's a legal copy.

If you have games like Battlefield2, GTA, Sims2 and 3, You'll end up contacting them any way until you straighten this out because they use a different version of Securom.

I have Battlefield 2 and it has installed fine before. I found a tutorial on how to remove Secu Rom, thing this would help?

http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php...=68&Itemid=106

My error message when I put in the game said Wrong disc detected, isn't that a different problem?

Wrong disk detected is one of many Securom uses to frustrate us.

If you installed Battlefield2 before Medieval2, it found its registry entries and sinc they are different frm Sega's, it kicked you out.

The only thing removing Securom is make it hareder later when you want tp installl something else that has it.

Players have had pretty good luck contacting Securom and jumping through their hoops. Sometimes the response time can seem long.

Well I got through all this stupid Securrom stuff. * and it worked! Good way to get around this stuff. I could even return the game now if I wanted to and get my money back, but the next person who buys it cd-key wont work, meh they can return it anyway or use the alternative ways.
    Last edited by irishron; January 11, 2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Illegal activtiy.

Because of that, this thread is closed. If you are still using it when you need further assistance, we cannot help you.