Page 53 of 168 FirstFirst ... 32843444546474849505152535455565758596061626378103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 3348

Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: IWTE - World editing(Added tutorial)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfslayer
    Just a brief note of thanks for all your efforts and dedication to this tool. The 3d view is a huge benefit. The coding used for the dimensions of the 3d view is way beyond my abilities; but I am curious if there is a possibility of widescreen support options, ie., in my usual desktop screen res of 1920x1080 the 3d view is restricted to a 4:3 view...
    Hi wolfslayer, the format was restricted to a square in pixels to retain the ratios when you rotate etc. Main reason for the delay in the next release is just trying to see what bits I can tidy up to make it more useful, finding out how to do it and finding the time to do it.

I guess I should do a separate release for those bits later... or delay the next release to late December when I get another break.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

"I guess I should do a separate release for those bits later..." I think we would all agree on that! It would be nice to experiment with the latest revisions right away!
    Last edited by wolfslayer; December 06, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

@wolfslayer - in that case next weekend I'll release. I need to tidy up the version and just sort out some bits where I've been experimenting in the mean time. Then I'll try and address some of the other bits over the year end break (as well as bits on our mod).

from where does IWTE know that the leaves of a Palm are Green ?!
    how can it color it.. wow

what do you think of my suggestions ?
    no ?
    Leader of Colonialism Total War
    Thread with first Preview
    First Youtube Trailer

@nessj999 - sorry didn't spot the earlier post. Not sure how well that will work as it depends on the type of effect to see. The 3D view was just an extra aid.

Regrading the colours on the residence strat models its just a simple split tied to different meshes/textures.. at the moment... nothing related to what the mesh represents... yet.. that was one of the things I was going to look at as I wanted it for another cas/mesh model.

@wolfslayer - the version I'll release should address the square clipping at the moment and the zoom in. Main bit I haven't addressed was the zooming into a point other than the centre or ability to move the object away from the centre from a viewing perspective... I need to have a better think on that...

current version is 6_4 from December 12th 2011
    New with version 6_4
    1) Options to read the residence CAS files, convert them to ms3d files, read back ms3d files and write cas files.
    2) 3d viewer automatically opens when reading a cas file.
    3) 3D viewer now has option to scroll left/right or up/down using the arrow keys and can now view much closer in without clipping the image.
    4) 3D viewer now uses full size of container window rather than just a squared view.
    5) Collision reuse tidied up further to ensure match to another object (some shapes were causing a misalignment).
    6) World pathfinding editing options increased - right click does opposite to left click.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Can't wait to try out the new features!Thank you for all your hard work and receptiveness to feedback, the IWTE keeps getting better and better ;-)

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Is there an alternate link to the Start-Up kit for IWTE? The link in the tutorial seems to be broken. I'm also curious if there's a way to select multiple structures at once. Selecting them one by one to delete them in stock medieval 2 settlements is really tedious...

What I would like to add to sieges are ditches / moats (all the way around a settlement) that need to filled before any siege craft moves forward.

Now this great tool can easily add ditches, which in turn forces the AI pathfinder to move siege craft to any flat terrain (usually out front of gates) to attack walls / gates.

What i would like to add is ditches all way round, forcing attackers to move units forward to fill sections of ditch to create a flat pathway (which should allow a path for the AI to move rams / ladders / towers forward). Starting with ditches all way round - easy! Having a unit "fill a ditch" and dynamically changing terrain during a battle might be far more difficult? To all TATW modders, is what I'm asking possible? if so, easy? hard?

The reason I want this is to make sieges more life like, takes time for attackers to get their siege devices to the walls! and costs in lives! (gives time for defending archers to fire more than 3 volleys!)

Any help from experienced modders? Sieges would be 10x better if i could get this to work.

Ta.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim
    Is there an alternate link to the Start-Up kit for IWTE? The link in the tutorial seems to be broken. I'm also curious if there's a way to select multiple structures at once. Selecting them one by one to delete them in stock medieval 2 settlements is really tedious...
    Sorry I don't have an alternate link for the start-Up kit.
    Tool doesn't support multiple selection of structures for delete. You can though delete a complex in one hit (delete complex button) or use specials/keep first structure button/keep first complex button as alternate methods to reduce the numbers down quickly.... if your going to do that though you might as well start with one of the stone forts.

Problem on deleting structures is you can hit a problem with the tool where the structure contains multiple objects which are themselves split between structures (because they use different textures). I need to rewrite some of the basic algorithms to handle that and amend the numbering systems which may take a while. Unfortunately we didn't spot that issue until after we had constructed a lot of the tool based around the forts.. then came across the issue when we started to look at some of the other settlements.

@Rorarii - short answer is no. The battlemaps that are constructed are static so you can't introduce units which can 'fill a ditch' and change potential pathfindings...

IWTE 6_4_1 released - sorry release is a bug fix for a couple of Residence cas issues we found.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    @Rorarii - short answer is no. The battlemaps that are constructed are static so you can't introduce units which can 'fill a ditch' and change potential pathfindings...
    We know if an attacker bashes down a section of wall, the rubble vanishes and a new path appears so it must be possible. But it's probably hard-coded, like most things with this engine. Soldiers filling a ditch would require new animations which won't be easy. But I must thank all who try to decipher this engine and create tools for users to mod.

When you think about it, alot of work went into making M2TW sieges, even so, the complexity led to bugs and strange behaviour. I doubt we'll see anything as complex in following games .. all the more reason why we need skilled hackers and modders for this engine! keep up the good work!

R
    Last edited by Rorarii; December 12, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

@Rorarii - you are talking about a model with a set of collisions that moves from one state to another state (as its destroyed) and then leaves a breach. All of that is pre-set in the world and collision files. You can add them in.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    @Rorarii - you are talking about a model with a set of collisions that moves from one state to another state (as its destroyed) and then leaves a breach. All of that is pre-set in the world and collision files. You can add them in.
    thanks, something to think about .. hmmm , I wonder if a Ditch can be a wall model with collisions that moves a ditch to flat terrain when destroyed? or have I just entered the twilight zone ?

A simpler way to allow defending archers more time to defend, is to slow down the movement speed of rams / towers / ladders etc !! I might go with this for the time being .. until the source code is released and new siege equipment can be easily introduced.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    thanks, something to think about .. hmmm , I wonder if a Ditch can be a wall model with collisions that moves a ditch to flat terrain when destroyed? or have I just entered the twilight zone ?
    maybe but remember we can't make animations for custom wall types so the changes would have to jump.... also having artillery firing at a 'ditch' and it miraculously filling in would look rather odd You could have a wall with a ditch in front of it and have the debris from the wall fall forward into the ditch, which then becomes part of the breach path when it's destroyed, but again things falling forward may look odd, and you can't associate that with any specific unit so even if you can do your digging men animation you can't restrict them to only that sort of wall, or stop normal artillery making same breach.

tweaking other stuff is probably more practicable

Patrician Artifex

It might just be me not understanding the tutorial, but the information on getting gates to work seems to be lacking. I've followed the steps: made a new complex, added the gate MS3D file gave it a gate attribute in Mainobjects, assigned Animation/Collision. However the game crashes whenever I start up a match. It works fine with the gate that the settlement started out with befre I deleted it and replaced it, so I'm pretty sure my gate is causing the problem. Is there a more detailed step-by-step process of how to make a gate and get it to work?

this makes me continue my fort in christmas holiday (the new version)
    respect, guys, and prepare for questions
    Leader of Colonialism Total War
    Thread with first Preview
    First Youtube Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    It might just be me not understanding the tutorial, but the information on getting gates to work seems to be lacking. I've followed the steps: made a new complex, added the gate MS3D file gave it a gate attribute in Mainobjects, assigned Animation/Collision. However the game crashes whenever I start up a match. It works fine with the gate that the settlement started out with befre I deleted it and replaced it, so I'm pretty sure my gate is causing the problem. Is there a more detailed step-by-step process of how to make a gate and get it to work?
    Don't think there are any more detailed instructions....

watch out for perimeters - if you changed the gate was a 'new object' then it won't have been automatically added to a perimeter. If you have a perimeter it has to have at least one gate assigned to it. Check that by viewing 'game objects' 'assign perimeters'. If you've only got one perimeter it should be assigned to perimeter one and the object should show up as blue in the 2d view.

If it's not that could you upload the files to megaupload or something and pm me the link? Am happy to have a look but can't think of any more advice.

EDIT; @ness - I'm starting to contemplate going on a loooooonnng holiday over Christmas

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    watch out for perimeters - if you changed the gate was a 'new object' then it won't have been automatically added to a perimeter. If you have a perimeter it has to have at least one gate assigned to it. Check that by viewing 'game objects' 'assign perimeters'. If you've only got one perimeter it should be assigned to perimeter one and the object should show up as blue in the 2d view.

If it's not that could you upload the files to megaupload or something and pm me the link? Am happy to have a look but can't think of any more advice.
    I assigned the gate to Perimeter 1 and it still shows up as grey in the 2D view, not blue. I also tried Perimeter 2 and 3 and the same thing results, the gate shows up as grey and not blue. I'll attach the settlement to this post and maybe that will help. Knowing all the problems I've run into and solved for Medieval 2 I probably did something ridiculously simple stupid wrong.

To assign the perimeters go to 'GameObjects' 'AssignPerimeters' the world will appear in the 2d view.

You select the objects by dragging a box around them with your mouse in the 2d view (you don't use the objects screen, which is probably what you were trying....?) the selected objects turn red - whilst they are still showing red click the appropriate 'assign to perimeter 1' button and they will turn blue etc... when you've got everything the colour you want you have to remember to click the 'OK' button which saves the changes to memory, and then use WorldFiles 'save 3 binary files' to get it saved into the revised .world file.

I can send you back a version with that done, but it'd be better if you try it for yourself.

EDIT; actually you've got a bigger problem as well - you've assigned the wall animation to the gate....

as you don't have a gate animation in your current .world file you need to use 'collision/anim' 'PICK NEW ANIMATION/COLLISION' (not assign) that will ask you to open 3 more binary files - Pick the set of .world files that contain the gate animation you want to copy.

I've got to go out now - will try and explain more if you have difficulty with that.