Page 12 of 168 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast

Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

beho's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: IWTE - World edditing

Hi,

@ wilddog as I allready said before u did a great job! Thanks for the release. I downloaded it. It works fine, but there are some problems. I used the ms3d converter for the 0groups. It doesn't work for all structures. Some structures only have corners without faces.

I'll upload a pic where u can see what I mean.

EDIT* pic uploaded

EDIT 2 * @ makanyane yes you are right. I used "me_larged_fortified_house"

EDIT 3* the textures match, but other structures are stil missing

André
    Last edited by beho; October 27, 2010 at 07:13 AM.

@beho,
    pic might help - but it'd probably be more useful if you could just let us know which .world file and which structure/s it's happening on, then we can try same thing and WD will know what to experiment on....

EDIT: thanks for the file details - I'm not getting quite the same thing but definitely getting crash / invalid ms3d's on the 0's option for some of those structures - will pass it on to wilddog

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Quote Originally Posted by beho
    It doesn't work for all structures. Some structures only have corners without faces.
    As a warning it probably won't work for all structures as some structures exceed the milkshape limits. Also some have split objects across compelxes which may not work. In this case the issue is because the complex has objects belonging to non consecutive structures (look at the objects window in the tool and you will see the structure numbers are 'split'). I'll look into this but this should be fixable - the issue on this extract is realigning everything with the unwanted vertices etc taken out. Thanks for the post... will get back on this later.

the problem of unused vertices is because there are some wrong calculation in the list of vertice, i think the script load ALL VERTEX from list, but a singular object don't have all vertices... the game use this method to compress the vertices list, because the similar vertex are not written, is a kind of compression.
    I make some test to understand the compression, you can compress only 10% or 20% of world file and if you utilize no similar vertices (example in the damaged-undamaged objects ) there aren't compression... But Knight Errant are simply save/load all vertices otherwise the script becomes much slower.
    Forums:............freeforumzone - mtwitalia - twcenter
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Other:.............siege-engine(video) - new-animations(video) - buildings
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

the problem of unused vertices is because there are some wrong calculation in the list of vertice, i think the script load ALL VERTEX from list, but a singular object don't have all vertices... the game use this method to compress the vertices list, because the similar vertex are not written, is a kind of compression.
    I make some test to understand the compression, you can compress only 10% or 20% of world file and if you utilize no similar vertices (example in the damaged-undamaged objects ) there aren't compression... But Knight Errant are simply save/load all vertices otherwise the script becomes much slower.
    The problem is I didn't write the code correctly to handle structures which are split up! percentages of compression are not relevant to simply working out what bits should of been picked up. The test cases I used were all continuous structures so it didn't show.
    Last edited by wilddog; October 27, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

To explain further - as wilddog pointed out there is a bug solely in section producing just the group 0's from non consecutive structures with the tool, it's showing up as verts only for beho as he's attempting to load in blender. Tool is actually crashing when it tries to produce those files at the moment (error comments can be seen in command window), it's partially writing ms3d file before falling over, file won't open in ms3d at all but is giving the half there effect (apparently) in blender..... it's nothing to do with compression, just completely falling over on split structures and producing corrupt file currently...

beho's Avatar Libertus

@ wilddog is there a way to fix this problem?

EDIT* I get the village into blender

André
    Last edited by beho; October 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM.

@ wilddog is there a way to fix this problem?

EDIT* I get the village into blender
    I simplified a couple of IF's and I think the problem is solved now. Issue was simply the split up structure and I was using a count from where the structure started so didn't work on split items. I can use the same process to allow selection/extraction of individual objects if required.

If its slowing you down I'll put up a new version. Otherwise for huge cities we worked out why the attributes were changing slightly and it needs a fix to that. I also need to update the attributes and main objects for handling the restricted docking points so I can probably address those two bits later if need be.

beho's Avatar Libertus

wilddog thanks for your help!

Would be nice to get this fixed.

Would it also be possible to get the whole object extracted? For example to extract the whole ne_castle as one ms3d file?

André

Would it also be possible to get the whole object extracted? For example to extract the whole ne_castle as one ms3d file?
    That won't work and I'm not really sure what you would do with it. The reason it won't work is the limits within MS3d. If you exceed the limits the MS3d file extract will crash. Its restrictions on field sizes within MS3D. Currently some structures won't extract because of this issue - that's the price of a cheap 3D package.

The IWTE tool works at a structure level for the load (and extract) so you wouldn't be able to load back with the tool either. The .world files basically operate on that level that's why textures apply at that level also.

I'm probably going to try and sort out the attributes bit first then release. Hopefully shouldn't take too long but also trying to investigate a a particular setting- and cross check if any other 'missed' cases.

beho's Avatar Libertus

Whats about converting to e.g. 3ds format? Maybe there could be some troubles with the different textures.

André

Whats about converting to e.g. 3ds format? Maybe there could be some troubles with the different textures.
    The tool is written for milkshape and accepts text formats. Anyone who wants another format needs to write their own extract routine or convert the text or milkshape files.

I'm probably going to try and sort out the attributes bit first then release. Hopefully shouldn't take too long but also trying to investigate a a particular setting- and cross check if any other 'missed' cases.
    Taking a little longer than anticipated. I need to rewrite the adding siege docking points bits. I'm setting up to allow selections of ram or ladders/towers and then set up for the ladder/towers whether either or both are valid/invalid for each location. I'm probably going to leave it as a delete and add option only rather than add a change option (as its almost as quick and saves me some time). I may add a selection to allow the selection of the wall type and then set correct defaults (eg palisade with ram and huge city walls with invalid ladders).

Will I be able to make battle maps for historical scenarios with this tool?

Will I be able to make battle maps for historical scenarios with this tool?
    why do you think you would be able? The tool is for editing the .world files etc that are used to make a settlement, ambient, bridge etc. It doesn't replace the battle editor which is used to create custom battles though the amended .world files could be used.
    Last edited by wilddog; November 02, 2010 at 02:55 AM.

beho's Avatar Libertus

hi,

@wilddog how long do you need for the next version?

would it also be possible to convert trees?

André

Quote Originally Posted by beho
    @wilddog how long do you need for the next version?
    Sorry found some more bugs associated with the larger models (its wrap around issues which I never coded for). Hopefully end of next weekend as there is one main one to sort and some info I need to resolve different ladder and ram docking points.

would it also be possible to convert trees?
    Not with the tool as there aren't any tree models in the .world related files to extract.

Not sure what the end game here is but you're likely to fall into the same trap as Johnwhile. Extracting to a modelling tool is the simple bit (relatively) the issue is combining things back (assuming that's your intent) without wiping out all other information. For that you will need to recreate a milkshape file (at the moment) which has the same object naming convention that I create on the extract.

Latest version about to go through CAT testing so likely to be out end of the weekend (Nov 7th) unless any more significant issues found. Ability to set ladders/tower/ram settings for the different wall types now added. Main bug associated with animations should be fixed also.

Layout of some screens have changed as I decided to change the layout of the central variable sections of the tool (ie no longer tabs).

Testing progressing ... more bugs found and resolved. At the moment still expect to release tomorrow or depending on Time Monday.
    Last edited by wilddog; November 06, 2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: bugs found

New with version 5_0 released November 7th 2010
    1) Change to the interface -clean ups and a progress bar for some selections.
    2) Options for various docking points updated eg rams for palisades, no ladders for huge walls etc
    3) bug fix - I caused a corruption in the binaries for certain situations when I changed things to read all the remaining .world files

beho's Avatar Libertus

Hey wilddog,

great work, great tool !
    thanks

André