Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Poplicola/?

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Poplicola/?

A letter arrived from the Roman camp in Greece:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Senators,

I have arrived safely in Greece, I barely missed the new bouts of plague that have sprung up in Tarentum and I was able to get the legion stationed there out as well. I wish for a senator to establish a temporary law in which all soldiers must be checked for plague before entering service at this time. We do not need another unstable element in a critical situation. Just last month the plague cost us over 40000 lives, we don't need it spreading.

On a better note, I have begun levying the legion proposed for Greece at this time and the consular army here in Appolonia has been reformed into 2 full strength legions, and 3 legions that are both understrength and with only their heavy infantry component which will be placed at the center of our battle line to avoid further losses. I have not yet needed to use much of the 5000 denarii allotted to me but if the conflict ends with a siege of Dhyrrachium I will use it for assault troops to lower the losses of Roman lives. So far, 800 of it has ben used on 50 of the venerable and elite Aetolian cavalry that was traveling through the region looking for work.

We have set up camp on the road intersecting the paths to the Port in Epeiros, the road to Dhyrrachium, and the road to Appolonia, so expect swift communications from now on now that these lanes are secured. Keep me up to date on reinforcements allotted to us and matters of the state, try to make it good news, the mens' morale is a little low over here when they heard about the plague in particular.

Keep me informed,
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

It is good to see that our army is finally growing. However, this plague is a constant worry to me, as I hope it is to all of you. I propose this to the Senate of Rome,

I) A holocaust of pigs and cattle shall begin the next month, in which 10000 beasts shall be burnt to ashes as a cleansing sacrifice to free our nation from the plague that has consumed our land.

ooc: I would think that is an excesive number of dead animals. If it isn't, then just tell me what would be, as they are supposed to be a lot
    Last edited by Ozy; January 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM.

A letter arrived from Greece:

Senators, I have made contact with the Epeirotes. We fought an indecisive engagement all afternoon and tensions are high. After exhausting all of our pila we withdrew from the battlefield leaving the Epeirotes on the hill. However, I had planned for this. I cut off their supply lines and they have been forced towards the Macedonian border and the forests there where we will begin the hunt again soon. For now we have returned to our camp, buried our dead and are ready for the next engagement.

A second letter was attached to the other:

What follows here is an account of the fighting in the Northern Epeirote border;

Before the battle, I decided upon a stratagem that Alexander once used. I started a loud routine in our camp for a week of clanging pots and pans for the amusement of the enemy scouts. Then on the 8th day I marched our army around the Epeirote border, and crossed it back to our side. In the end the enemy's supply line was cut and we were on the gentlest slope to attack the enemy on.

I had decided against our usual formation due to the nature of the hill and the surrounding forests. I formed up all the legions in 3 lines with minimal space between them to keep communications easy and open.

Next I ordered the legions forward to the base of the hill and ordered th Aetolian cavalry to perform a wide flanking amneuver under the cover of forests around our right the enemy's left and they spotted the enemy army, it hadn't changed at all in its composition which gave us the advantage.

Once we came under missile fire from the enemy archers I ordered an advance by the velites at the double-quick to engage the enemy militia and coax them down the hill. Due to their ill discipline they obliged and a unit of them came charging down at us and were promptly routed, although they did not rout before the rest of their hoplites' discipline broke down and they too charged down the hill into a storm of pila.

The enemy commander, captain Tuethranes, and his cavalry swept down our right flank to try to stop his militia from charging, but it was too late. Over 6/10 of them were dead and I ordered the Aetolians to advance and cut off the enemy commander from the rest of his force and the rest of our cavalry, along with triarii that the commander of the 6th legion broke off on his own initiative engaged them long enough for the Aetolians to come up behind him and capture him. The enemy commander should arrive in Rome soon and in chains.

After their general was captured, the enemy withdrew back to the hill and in fact regained some of their discipline.

Seeing this, and noticing that there was no point to a decisive engagement against an enemy on high ground without any further pila, we withdrew in good order, the enemy did not give chase and in fact withdrew themselves.

We are still stationed in our camp on the road ready to give chase to the enemy should the senate still wish it.

Until such orders are given I will rest the troops after this marginal victory and focus on the training of the new Legio VII Epeirotus. Here is a statistical breakdown of supposed kills and our losses counted during roll call the morning after the battle.

As a last statement I would like to give attention to the plague, for in the last month it has spread to Croton and has started killing more and more people. This recent report should be tripled since the plague hit Tarentum.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Well done, to the consul, but this plague must be combated. I propose that for the time being, all movement from Affected cities barring essential military journeys be prohibited until the plague is contained and our prayers and sacrifices 'appease the gods'.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Drusus peruses the scrolls

The plague can be most effectively combated by this body by implementing the Quaestor's building plan as quickly as possible. Perhaps several senators should also make their way to the baths...I also propose that the Consul be given an orders to pursue the rebel army and crush them in a battle that will rid Roman regions of their presence and ensure Roman dominance in the region.

A messenger arrived bearing a letter:

Senators, I have destroyed the Epeirote army within our borders. 2,180 Romans were lost in the battle. 10670 Epeirotes were also killed. I have replaced 1,220 of our losses with a reserve cohort from Ambracia and am continuing my advance. We reached the city yesterday and have begun regular approaches. I doubt the city will last long under this kind of pressure with a small garrison.

Another letter containing a report on the battle was also enclosed:

The enemy once again found a rocky hill to place their army on. I formed up our legions into the same three-line formation as before to exert more power into the enemy phalangites and advanced. Immediately something unexpected happened. The enemy hoplites engaged our skirmishers in melee combat and routed them after inflicting 40% casualties.

Seeing this, I sent all the legions forward as fast as possible to catch the enemy out of position. I regrouped the cavalry behind our legions and marched them at the double-quick to the hills on the left flank to cut off the enemy's escape. All the infantry were ordered to release all of their pila before advancing towards the enemy.

Once that occurred. Once again the commander of the sixth legion, Tiberius Varro, advanced his legion up the right flank on his own initiative and took the high ground to the enemy rear and cut off all hope of their escape and his legion was subjected to the full force of the enemy as 3/4 of their phalanx was sent to crush his small understrength force.

His legion took the most casualties in the infantry but they held the ground long enough to complete an encirclement of the enemy army. It was then that I threw the Aetolian cavalry in to support his legion on the hill by hitting the phalangites in the rear.

Soon after, the enemy started to buckle under the continual pressure from all sides and began to break. the cavalry ordered to pursue.

The following is an overview on ours and the enemies forces and a more detailed assessment of the dead and supposed enemy dead from first-hand account from the soldiers:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234