Thread: AI Formations and replays

messiah's Avatar Semisalis

Default AI Formations and replays

This is all about custom battles (VERY rarely in campaign)

I sometimes hate the AI in this mod. It's not bad, but with the formations it comes... ugh! I am Epeiros/Macedon and my enemy is, for example, Thrace. I have my phalanx lines, they have theirs, they advance in a line, but when it comes to fighting, they never attack me in a line. They just attack in 2 points usually, where they send all their troops. Why can't they attack in line?

About the replays: I wanted to do a commentary video on this mod. I won a good victory against the Seleucid Empire, but when I watched the replay, it showed something completely differant. In battle, I killed the enemy general. In the replay, he ran away and my guys chased him. In the battle, made envelopment moves and hammer-and-anvil tactics a lot, in replay, I charge my cavalry head-front into pikes - what's up with that? (if you'll get it fixed I'll post the video here )

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Re: AI Formations and replays

I'm afraid those are all inherited with the RTW engine itself. There's nothing we can do about it.
    As for DTW itself, the development has officially stopped.
    Last edited by RedFox; January 05, 2010 at 05:11 AM.

But my RTW replays are always the same every time.

I know what you mean about the replays, you have to use the video editor included with RTW or use FRAPs to record it. With the RTW you can put a better production on it with sweeping cameras, zooms to certain areas, wide angle shots fade ins etc. Quite time consuming and annoying though since you have to save each camera movement. There is a good guide for it somewhere, I will have a look.
    So RF, that means there will be no more development or a temp stop?

Cal20: There hasn't been any development for months now. A new set of barbarians was finished and I tweaked the stats a bit, but otherwise there have been no changes and Arabia still crashes.

Well I must say it is a great loss that there will be no more development, but thanks for all the work that you and others put into it and created what we have to play now. Do you think those units will be released or is that not possible?

They would all need new unitcards and have to be put into the game. I don't have a spare 10 hours to do all that.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

RedFox, we could simply put them into the game without the unit cards...it would be a shame not to use those new units by Maraxus. It would be better than nothing.

Then put them into the game, I'm not stopping you.

well, it would be sufficient to put those .tga.dds and .cas into proper folders and to edit descr_model_battle.txt, right? I don't have RTW installed at the moment, but I can do that this weekend, if that's all.