Thread: Q: How do u use Wedge Formation?

Default Q: How do u use Wedge Formation?

From my understanding, Wedge Formation is used basically for maneuverability. It will give the Cavalry unit a faster movement than standard box formation. It makes turning slightly left/right faster. Is this correct?

other than this, i could not find anything usefull for it.

If I have a Cavalry Unit in Wedge Formation to charge into an enemy formation, I am sure to have that unit's captain killed.

Is there any Offensive Value of Wedge Formation???

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

It adds an offensive value to the formation and makes shock power go up, it seems to me...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

adamus's Avatar Miles

Wedge formation increases gives attack and charge bonuses but lowers defense, so the charge will be more effective, but your cav will die quicker - formation should only be used attacking rear/flanks of units

Laetus

The benefit of the Wedge formation is penetration.

When a cavalry unit in wedge formation charges into an enemy unit, the main focus of the charge is concentrated into a very small area. This allows the unit to force its way deep into the enemy before the momentum of the charge is bled off. If the targeted unit is thin enough, or comprised of men with little or no armor, then it's quite possible for the charge to carry completely through. This charge not only causes a great deal of direct damage but also has the benefit of disrupting a formation which will then be even more vulnerable to a follow on attack.

The drawback of the wedge is vulnerability.

At the same time that the cavalry is penetrating the heart of the target unit, it is exposing its flanks, and eventually it's rear, to attack. If the targeted unit is able to bog the charge down then the situation changes for the worse. The cavalry will find themselves unable to use their speed and manueverabilty while surrounded, and under attack, from all sides.

As with a great many classic tactics it has both it's good points, and it's bad. But then again learning when and how to properly employ them is one of the fun parts of RTW.

Bindarf
    Non Illigitimi Carborundum!

If that is the case, then, with the current Cavalry Charge Bug, Wedge Formation is a bad thing.

I never use the wedge. Cavalry has to rely on the first shock: if the enemy doesn't flee after a few second, things will get bad. So I always use them to attack and retreat, and attack again (except with cataphracts or hetaroi). IMO, the wedge formation doesn't give a good blow like the normal formation: only the first few will really give a shock, with the normal formation more than 10.

the normal formation gives the punch on a wide surface area - but im a cataphract man so i guess they pack the punch anyway. the only time cavalry should engage is when the flanks or rear are exposed. If you follow this, formation won't matter

yeah i to prefer the THUMP of a block of cavelry, rather than the deep pin-prick of the wedge

BTW.. Is it possible to "Remove" this Wedge Formation skill from cavalry units?

THis way, if a Cavalry is designated as General/Leader of the attack, at least it will be given the "Trumpet" skill instead. (THis happend to my Velites units...)

I think using the wedge formation is pretty good at flanking skrimishers and archers.

Scarecrow's Avatar Ducenarius

the wedge will penetrate enemy lines but u need to have alot of them if u want to win with that strategy
    Legate to the Legio I Latina
    Grand Master of the Order of New Templar's