Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesson 4

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Default Lesson 4

Lesson 4 part A

Happy new year guys! I trust fun was had by all. Welcome back to some of you.. 3 more lessons to go for that shiny new degree...

Ok guys, now we truly get nasty.. LOL Time to render your own image... This is not really difficult but it is very tedious. These are HQ images (my thanks to abbews, for using his mom's CC to buy me these. You guys owe him some rep )

Ok so Rendering in relation to Graphic arts is basically a cut out of a person, place or thing. Sounds simple no? And like I said above it isn't technically challenging but making a good render is hard work.. if not long hours. So please download the file in the link below.

I want you to take your time with this. I want to see your render, make the edges as clean as possible, without loosing any of the subject. Use the pen tool & lasso tool along with the eraser and the magic wand (use with caution). My example is below. Note: if you use the same image as me you are required to post the xcf along with it.

LINK
    Alternate LINK

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Thanks to Mr Blackadder.
    Take your image, zoom a bit in (around 400% or perhaps 800%), take your pen tool, and left-click somewhere near the edges of the image :

Then, press at a point somewhere further, like here, and hold your left-mouse button :

Now, while holding down the left-mouse button, go down/up with your mouse, to create a nice and smooth "bow":

You'll see 2 lines with squares at the end appearing. The line on the left determines the bow between this point and the previous, the line on the right should point to the direction of your next spot, in this case, below the knee. When you now create a new spot there, you'll get a smooth line from the middle point, and your new one :

Now, press and hold left-mouse button, and place a new spot somewhere on the lower part of the leg, and drag your mouse till you get a nice "bow" :

Now, the 2 lines with squares at the end will reappear. If you don't do anything with them, and just make a new spot, you'll get a messed up result like this :

So drag the line with the square at the end close to the leg, and then make a new spot :

Always work in small parts. Don't try to completely render your image in 1 try. Render body parts, then press 'selection from path', and delete the area around the body parts, and then save as backup. Here's 2 more images to explain :

Last edited by Subuatai de Bodemloze; January 05, 2010 at 12:20 PM.

Default Re: Lesson 4

RESERVED

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

sorry, can you please explain how to do this. I only know how to use the lasso tool, and eraser (one of which you didn't even name)

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

So, All I have to do is cut out this guy from this picture and I am ready?
    http://z.about.com/d/comicbooks/1/0/...JG300-0088.jpg

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I'm in the same situation as Raglan. If we have to do it using pencil, eraser and magic wand, then I'm somewhat lost. If we can do it any way as long as it looks good, then I can give it a shot.

I will do you up something when I get a chance.. I didn't realize you guys needed in depth instructions for this. And yes I forgot the lasso tool.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Subu atai could you update the Roll call thread so that we know who passed what lesson?
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Check the first lesson in GIMP BASICS. There it will learn you how to render. And you should render my dancers Subuatäi has uploaded for you in the OP, I suppose.

Yes abbews has it right please render one of the images I have supplied. Here is the link to the Gimp Basics lesson sorry folks my head is fuzzy I have a nasty head cold.. I should be in bed and not at work...

If filefront doesn't work, here is an alternative download link ; http://www.megaupload.com/?d=II71Y5WT

Edited by Subuatai: Please use my file set if possible as I have removed some of the images that abbews provided me with as they will not work in the second part of this lesson.

Edited by abbews: The link is now for your fileset.
    Last edited by abbews; January 04, 2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks for helping out Abbs,

TWC Son of the One and Only Abbews

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

well its the pen tool i don't know how to use, and thats not covered in GIMP basics

Alternative download link for the dancers, in case filefront would mess up.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=II71Y5WT

Here's a quick and dirty tuto I wrote for the pen tool. Should be enough to give you the necessary knowledge to start off

Take your image, zoom a bit in (around 400% or perhaps 800%), take your pen tool, and left-click somewhere near the edges of the image :

Then, press at a point somewhere further, like here, and hold your left-mouse button :

Now, while holding down the left-mouse button, go down/up with your mouse, to create a nice and smooth "bow":

You'll see 2 lines with squares at the end appearing. The line on the left determines the bow between this point and the previous, the line on the right should point to the direction of your next spot, in this case, below the knee. When you now create a new spot there, you'll get a smooth line from the middle point, and your new one :

Now, press and hold left-mouse button, and place a new spot somewhere on the lower part of the leg, and drag your mouse till you get a nice "bow" :

Now, the 2 lines with squares at the end will reappear. If you don't do anything with them, and just make a new spot, you'll get a messed up result like this :

So drag the line with the square at the end close to the leg, and then make a new spot :

Always work in small parts. Don't try to completely render your image in 1 try. Render body parts, then press 'selection from path', and delete the area around the body parts, and then save as backup. Here's 2 more images to explain :

Thanks Mr B. Rep. I will add that to my OP if you don't mind, I was just about to record a video for that.

Hey guys..

is that the way you want it?

P.S.: I know that the boots are not completly visible at that pic, but i really like that pic of mine as a knight...

By the way... Could please update again the completed lesson thread? I think I should have finished the other lessons...
    Last edited by caramon352; January 05, 2010 at 05:22 PM.

YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE OF THE IMAGES I HAVE SUPPLIED IN THE DOWNLOAD LINK

Ah, ok.. sorry.. I didn't get that point.

Is that the right way?

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

My:

Quote Originally Posted by Sübü'ätäi View Post
    Thanks Mr B. Rep. I will add that to my OP if you don't mind, I was just about to record a video for that.
    Yea sure. Perhaps a video would be better to explain the pen-tool, but if you practise with the pen-tool a bit, you can learn in an hour or so

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast