Thread: Need help with Mod installation

Default Need help with Mod installation

Hey guys. I recently bought and installed Rome: Total War, Barbarian Invasion, and Alexander. I also downloaded the Lord of the Rings Mod (found here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-lord-o...ings-total-war). But since I got the game off of Steam, I have no idea how to apply the mod to Alexander. If anyone can help, please do so! I've been trying to get it going for around an hour or so now and have just given up.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: Need help with Mod installation

Welcome to the forum

Quite a few of these problems have been encounered and resolved in the past. You need to use the search facility and have a guess at the 'key words' to search for but 'Steam' would be my first guess.

This is the post that could help you:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...am#post6066628

Although this will allow you to use the Alexander exe you need to be aware that without changing other files you will find that your faction leader (and other family members) will be immortal.... Some mods will make these changes for you when you install the mod and it detects the presence of the Alexander exe.

If you want to use the Alexander exe but not the Alex folder then the swictch to use is -mod:noalexander

You need to check to see if the mod you want does this - the question will have to be posted in their forum as it has a beeter chance to be answered there.

The details of what needs to be changed in buried in one of the EB threads - I suggest you have a search for it (I've fond it a few times in the past).
    Last edited by Brusilov; January 03, 2010 at 05:17 PM.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica
    OK so Ive been wanting to download 300:Warlords of Sparta forever and finally got around to it. problem is I only have alex on steam. But I installed the mod to my steam/alex file and hoped it would work. no such luck. I know on the install wizard it said to install to the main RTW folder, but is there any way I could make it work on steam?

I also moved the alex folder to my rtw folder, but it still didnt work. When I try to run the game it just says "cant find Steam." Any ideas?
    OK so I was refered to this thread, and I also checked your link, but I was looking for exact specifics and couldnt find any in the forums search so could you please tell me step-by-step how to make my steam/alex file work with this mod? I'd try your launch edit but Im kinda a clutz when it comes to modding and I really wanna make sure I dont mess up my game files.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    OK so I was refered to this thread, and I also checked your link, but I was looking for exact specifics and couldnt find any in the forums search so could you please tell me step-by-step how to make my steam/alex file work with this mod? I'd try your launch edit but Im kinda a clutz when it comes to modding and I really wanna make sure I dont mess up my game files.
    As I don't run Steam with RTW I can't help.

I would think that you need to start from scratch. Once you've installed RTW I suggest that you set it up to play through Steam - there is an option to do that (round the place it allows you to register a Steam game). Once you've done that you should have a better chance of getting the mod to work with RTW using the RTW Alexander exe.

You are not using any part of RTW Alexander - just the exe (and the chat_filter.san file).

The edits that need to be done to make a mod compatible with Alexander can be quite fiddly - I'd suggest that if you are not confident of computers to stay away from trying to make the changes. The changes you need to make are buried somewhere in the EB Alexander thread.

You problem is different to the OPs problem as well.
    Last edited by Brusilov; January 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

oh ok thx
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII