Thread: Trying to do a 2nd Installation of RTW

Default Trying to do a 2nd Installation of RTW

I installed RTW-BI and now I've discovered a mod I'd like to play which is only compatible with RTW 1.5. When I tried to do a 2nd installation it tries to uninstall my previous installation. Is it possible to work around this? I can't figure it out.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Trying to do a 2nd Installation of RTW

Copy the whole Rome Total War folder on to its parent folder.
    Put your mod in the copy.

You mean, the RTW folder contained in the RTW-BI?

Where ever you installed RTW.

My old copy's default is C:\Program Files\ Activision.
    The only thing I do is right-click the Rome Total War folder, click copy, right-click the Activision folder, click paste.
    When it gets done, in my Actisivion, I have two folders, Rome Total War and copy of Rome total War. I put my mod in the copy of Rome Total War and rename it for the mod.
    If I want a second mod, I just do the same thing again to my clean original copy.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Where ever you installed RTW.

My old copy's default is C:\Program Files\ Activision.
    The only thing I do is right-click the Rome Total War folder, click copy, right-click the Activision folder, click paste.
    When it gets done, in my Actisivion, I have two folders, Rome Total War and copy of Rome total War. I put my mod in the copy of Rome Total War and rename it for the mod.
    If I want a second mod, I just do the same thing again to my clean original copy.
    I know how to do that. But once I've copied the RTW folder (which contains the BI folder) is as simple as installing the mod into the RTW folder copy, eventhough it still contains the BI folder? I was affraid if I did that it would cause a problem.

It doesn't cause problems.

The game only uses the BI folder when the rome total war-bi.exe is uesd.

Thanks

Or rename orginal installation folder, and uninstall game (and patches) from Windows control panel > add/remove programs. Then simply install 2nd game copy.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Satapatiš View Post
    Or rename orginal installation folder, and uninstall game (and patches) from Windows control panel > add/remove programs. Then simply install 2nd game copy.
    The only reason to do this is if for some reason the exe is not recognized as being the one that belongs to the DVD-ROM that you've used (it's happened to me a few times with official discs where the mod does not work but the originals do).

Rather than uninstall the game and all the copies I've uninstalled the game, reinstalled the various RTW components (RTW, RTW BI and RTW Alex) and then simply copied the exes from the new install to the various mods.

There is no need to take this approach for any other reason. It's far quicker to copy an install than the uninstall/reinsatall process.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    The only reason to do this is if for some reason the exe is not recognized as being the one that belongs to the DVD-ROM that you've used (it's happened to me a few times with official discs where the mod does not work but the originals do).

Rather than uninstall the game and all the copies I've uninstalled the game, reinstalled the various RTW components (RTW, RTW BI and RTW Alex) and then simply copied the exes from the new install to the various mods.

There is no need to take this approach for any other reason. It's far quicker to copy an install than the uninstall/reinsatall process.
    Thanks for the additional input. I'll certainly save this for future use.