Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you change a general's bodyguard unit from mounted to dismounted?

Default Can you change a general's bodyguard unit from mounted to dismounted?

I've been wondering if this was possible because I dislike seeing Glorfindel, Elladan, and Elrohir with mounted bodyguard while Elrond gets a bodyguard unit of spearmen.

I also assume that if this is possible it's not save compatible.

EOMER's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Can you change a general's bodyguard unit from mounted to dismounted?

yes it is possible to change the bodyguards of heros

Kamakai's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Can you change a general's bodyguard unit from mounted to dismounted?

Aye but how? I dont like them on horses either even though Glorfndel is a horse master guy.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Glorfindels picture freaks me out, its ugly and scary

That's how Glorfindel was depicted in the movies.

And what exactly do I have to edit to make them non-mounted.

Ahh, you have to edit their unit in the model.db file. Press Ctrl+F and search for the hero you want. Or maybe it was the descr_stat? I dont really remember xD

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Go to the "descr_strat" file in your "imperial_campaign" folder (C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign), and find Glorfindel.

His section should look like this
    character Glorfindel, named character, male, age 46, x 31, y 248, portrait Glorfindel, battle_model glorfindel ;forlindon
    traits Glorfindel 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 2 , ReligionStarter 1 , GoodAttacker 1 , Brave 1 , Just 1 , BattleChivalry 1
    ancillaries troops_helf
    army
    unit Elf Nobel Mount exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Elf Archer exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Elf Archer2 exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

If you want them to have the same bodyguard as Elrond, just find his section

It should look like this
    character Elrond, named character, male, leader, age 50, x 185, y 250, portrait Elrond, hero_ability Righteousness_of_Faith ;imladris
    traits Elrond 1 , Factionleader 1 , GoodCommander 2 , NaturalMilitarySkill 1 , PublicFaith 2 , MathematicsSkill 1 , ReligionStarter 1 , GoodAttacker 1 , Just 1 , KindRuler 2 , BattleChivalry 2
    ancillaries vilya, leader_council, librarian, lord_imladris
    army
    unit Elf Spear_BG exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Elf Archer exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Elf Archer2 exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

Just copy the first unit in Elrond's army and replace Glorfindel's first unit.

Glorfindel's section should now look like this
    character Glorfindel, named character, male, age 46, x 31, y 248, portrait Glorfindel, battle_model glorfindel ;forlindon
    traits Glorfindel 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 2 , ReligionStarter 1 , GoodAttacker 1 , Brave 1 , Just 1 , BattleChivalry 1
    ancillaries troops_helf
    army
    unit Elf Spear_BG exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Elf Archer2 exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

Glorfindel should now have Spearmen for bodyguards, just like Elrond. You can also do this for any other general in any mod.

Note: Elrond's section did NOT change in this transfer. It should still look the same.

Hope that helped

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

For the starting generals you have to edit their bodyguard unit in descr_strat, and in export_descr_unit for everyone else.

Raiven's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakai View Post
    Aye but how? I dont like them on horses either even though Glorfndel is a horse master guy.

Glorfindels picture freaks me out, its ugly and scary
    Agree you about picture! He realy dont look like one of mightiest elven wariors in that one!

Aww this doesnt work with me...

ackrite26's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakai View Post
    Aww this doesnt work with me...
    What submods are you running?
    ......................................................................................
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

None

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Then i ask you, is it possible to make a hero use the "sweihandeler" animation instead of the basic sword animation.. ?

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Eirmar View Post
    Then i ask you, is it possible to make a hero use the "sweihandeler" animation instead of the basic sword animation.. ?
    I know what your getting at. Aragorn with a two handed sword. The problem is that only changes the type of bodyguard the unit has. It has nothing to do with the hero himself.

But you could have a two handed sword bodyguard if you wanted.
    If you like the picture of my woman, GIVE ME REP!!!!

You had to alter the files, that determine behaviour of the general model and somehow switch the skeleton.
    I think I've seen these files and so don't think this is hardcoded, but rather pro-modder business.
    I suggest you go to the mod-workshop area and ask for help and information there.
    Regards.

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

This really is easy, just edit descr_strat and edit the first unit in the row.

If you want for example, dismount an existing unit you will have to edit edu and modeldb aswell.

Generals animations are very hard to do though, but possible.

In Broken Crescent the Byzantine general has a twohanded sword.
    Last edited by el Cid; March 29, 2010 at 01:45 PM.

Wesserd's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Chyeaaaa111 View Post
    I know what your getting at. Aragorn with a two handed sword. The problem is that only changes the type of bodyguard the unit has. It has nothing to do with the hero himself.

But you could have a two handed sword bodyguard if you wanted.
    Thats to bad, it would be really cool to have legolas with 2 swords of something.

btw, who is dat girl on your pic? damn.

Yaaaa
    PRIZE REBEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Want Free stuff? http://www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=461443

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Well.. Heroes anomations for me is kinda important, a small but rather essensial detail as the heroes are rather what the lotr movie/books are about.

So gimli uses a two handed axe, but with one handed animation.
    Aragorn uses his sword as a one handed, while it shuld really be a two handler.
    same goes for all the elven heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    For the starting generals you have to edit their bodyguard unit in descr_strat, and in export_descr_unit for everyone else.

What would I look for here? And can I use any unit at all?

Found what needs to be edited. Do I need to create a whole new bodyguard unit? I'm changing eriador over to BR Dunedain. So in descrir_unit or whatever I need to create a BR Dunedain BG, right? Do I just copy the BR Dunedain part and add "BG" to it? Confused...
    Last edited by Bersian; March 04, 2011 at 10:32 AM.

fun fact: you could mount/dismount units at the pre battle screen in the original medieval total war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast