Thread: CRC Error

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Default CRC Error

How can I fix it? I've been dying to play M2TW...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: CRC Error

Clean the disc. Check it for dirt, scratches, cracks in the plastic, etc. You have point on the disc the laser can't read.

I even went an extracted the data on the disks in to "disk 1" and "disk 2" folders on my desktop but i'm still getting the same error

Where did you get the game? What version of the game? How did you extract it?

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Where did you get the game? What version of the game? How did you extract it?
    I got the game from Gamestation I think, like an hour away from where I live, and it's just the original version (if I ignore all the CRC errors and try to patch it, I get errors when trying to patch the game and the patch installation terminates) and I extracted it simply by doing a typical "select everything then paste", but like I said since I have two separate disks I extracted them both in to their own separate folders.

What ever point on your disk that can't be read by the laer for the installer is also the point not read by the copy-and-paste method.

Have you tried it in another computer to make sure it isn't the drive for a third opinion? The first two tries to me says it's time to but a new copy.

It might be the drive, I mean my computer's been bashed around alot. It's got to the point where I can't play any graphically demanding games for very long otherwise it just glitches and restarts the computer.

If it's doing it to others, try cleaning out the case real good of dirt, check your connections to make sure they're all still tight, make sure your fans are still in good shape and all the vent holees are clean. It could just be heat.

After that, and your graphics games still act up, check your video card and the fan on it. It could be dying and taking the rest of the system with it.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    If it's doing it to others, try cleaning out the case real good of dirt, check your connections to make sure they're all still tight, make sure your fans are still in good shape and all the vent holees are clean. It could just be heat.

After that, and your graphics games still act up, check your video card and the fan on it. It could be dying and taking the rest of the system with it.
    It does seem to be heat related, I noticed that when I played M2TW prior to reinstalling it. When the heat level went up, the glitches began. So what do I need to clean it? Damp cloth or a can of pressurised air?

Pressurized air works. Keep a damp cloth out or you will short something and that you don't need.

HI all, I have the same error, even tho I just downloaded it from Direct2Drive and there are no disks to be dirty. Ideas?

Run checkdisk to see if have any bad sectors on your harddrive.