Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Balrog

Default Re: Balrog

Just in general terms, Balrogs are supposed to be "magical" beings, a whole level above big strong monster types like trolls etc... Correct me if I am wrong as its been a long time since I read JRR, but weren't they the same type of spirits that Sauron is? So I don't imagine that the Dark Lord could be taken out with a bunch of arrows...

In general when the AI has some "overpowered" units etc... its the only way to keep the game even. I do agree that trolls are too powerful and when they show up every battle is basically about how you deal with them. But unless someone realllllly comes up with a bad a$$ AI that is able to adapt to player tactics, then the super units are the only way to maintain balance. Keep 'em gnarly!

I can't wait until KK and gang figure out how to skin a Great Wyrm just to be extra spiteful LOL, great job as always TATW team!

Long story short shut up whining about Over Powered units JUST MAKE THEM WEAKER YOURSELF.

That should do it

The moria's balrog is a weak one and manage to destroy an dwarven realm , the actual balrog unit should be more powerful (but not good for the game's balance) .

Some Noldor from the first age used to kill balrog ( glorfindel , echtelion ) perhaps high elves should have a unit of the last of these elven monsters (even if they are a bit weaker in third age) .

just get a bunch of wizards to yell "YOU SHALL NOT...PASSSSSSSSS!!!" done deal

whats next?

Quote Originally Posted by orvarth View Post
    The moria's balrog is a weak one and manage to destroy an dwarven realm , the actual balrog unit should be more powerful (but not good for the game's balance) .

Some Noldor from the first age used to kill balrog ( glorfindel , echtelion ) perhaps high elves should have a unit of the last of these elven monsters (even if they are a bit weaker in third age) .
    Why is the Moria Balrog a weak one?

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

It could as well be a strong one

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    It could as well be a strong one

I think that he is thinking that he is weaker then the balrogs of the first age but I don't see why because its one of the first age as far as I know. That or he thinks that its weaker then the 10 balrogs in custom battle.

In my experience Dwarven halberds take down Balrogs the easiest, not arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Athalwulf View Post
    It`s always about how much arrows.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Just use heavy infantry, dwarves for example really have NO problem with balrogs, even not if the balrogs are high upgraded !!! i tested one unit of balrogs, with full expierence, etc...
    against three units of the best dwarven infantry and they took down almost all balrogs, only two left i think, which were already damaged badly, so one unit more would have gave themn the rest, so i reall ydon't see any reason why they should be overpowered or anything like that...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBigAb View Post
    so i reall ydon't see any reason why they should be overpowered or anything like that...
    Personally I prefer them overpowered because it gives me a sense of immersion and struggle and I mourn every soldier I lose. Very few people in the lore could fight against a balrog and not be easily killed, even if it wasn't one on one.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Personally I prefer them overpowered because it gives me a sense of immersion and struggle and I mourn every soldier I lose. Very few people in the lore could fight against a balrog and not be easily killed, even if it wasn't one on one.
    Yeah i share this opinion totally, something more than an orc to fight

Pietrak's Avatar Biarchus

Custom battle:
    6 Eldar Archers, 4 Eldar Swordsmen, 1 Eldar Lancers (general)
    VS
    1 Heavy Goblin Inf (general), 1 unit of Balrogs, the rest (until money run out) was Goblin Infantry.

First impression: Those Balrogs are ugly as hell. Their faces need reworking ASAP.

Outcome: I won with my general alive and 3 Eldar Archer units left almost fully intact. The rest got slaughtered - while the units of Swordsmen had a very good kill-death ratio, the unit that took the Balrogs head-on sustained full casualties and inflicted on 6 causalities (on stray Goblins!). Balrogs are just like Trolls, but worse. They will start going down, but they need time to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Pietrak View Post
    Custom battle:
    6 Eldar Archers, 4 Eldar Swordsmen, 1 Eldar Lancers (general)
    VS
    1 Heavy Goblin Inf (general), 1 unit of Balrogs, the rest (until money run out) was Goblin Infantry.

First impression: Those Balrogs are ugly as hell. Their faces need reworking ASAP.

Outcome: I won with my general alive and 3 Eldar Archer units left almost fully intact. The rest got slaughtered - while the units of Swordsmen had a very good kill-death ratio, the unit that took the Balrogs head-on sustained full casualties and inflicted on 6 causalities (on stray Goblins!). Balrogs are just like Trolls, but worse. They will start going down, but they need time to do it
    I'm sure you will make a wonderfull rework of the balrog we all can enjoy ASAP. Hope your version of it isn't ugly as hell.

Pietrak's Avatar Biarchus

If I could I would. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the hard work the Team is doing, but those Balrogs ain't perfect. You have to know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietrak View Post
    If I could I would. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the hard work the Team is doing, but those Balrogs ain't perfect. You have to know it.
    You sounded a little harsh. King Kong did the best he could the engine doesn't allow a balrog on flames etc so he made his own version which I find cool but okey.

Balrogs are very easy to defeat: simply use AP-units (Armor-piercing). 5 units of non-upgraded Dwarven Warriors easly kill them, even on very hard difficulty!

I am playing silvans atm ( early so lacking ap troops) . I am considering sieging and using a few units of balista ( will that work?? ) Its fairly early I don't have any ap infantry ( although I could probably snag 2 units of beornings ) in addition to about 5 elven bodyguard units. The rest of the army would be sentinels for dealing with the rest of the goblin garrison script.

Quote Originally Posted by nepereta View Post
    I am playing silvans atm ( early so lacking ap troops) . I am considering sieging and using a few units of balista ( will that work?? ) Its fairly early I don't have any ap infantry ( although I could probably snag 2 units of beornings ) in addition to about 5 elven bodyguard units. The rest of the army would be sentinels for dealing with the rest of the goblin garrison script.
    Sounds like a good strategy.
    Beornings should be up to the task with their AP, together with Elvish gaurds.

I easily killed a few balrogs. 1 unit of balrog vs 6 units of olog-hai. I lost 1 troll...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast