Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Balrog

Default Balrog

Too powerfull? I just set up a battle between ten balrogs and sixty ents. They lost not a single unit, slaughtering every single ent. Okay I think, Lets see what it takes to take one of these things down...

So I set up another battle with the faction most likely to encounter this fearsom creature first, the Silvan Elves [In my opinion] 1300 archeers, half of which are teir three, and the other half teir two, with three horse archers.

I ran out of arrows, lost every one of my heavy archers, most of my horseman and half the light archers before they finaly started to die. This was one on 1600 troops with -Just- the balrog unit. I know it is an old old enemy of everyone that took out gandalf but there are ten of these suckers to a unit.

Are they recruitable on a regular basis, even if it is once every 50 turns, or is it just a one time nightmare?

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: Balrog

Well....

Fire beats wood and the last time I checked, arrows and Ents are made of wood.

I'm just kidding, but yeah, Balrogs (despite them being the embodiment of Hell itself) should be toned down a little bit.

However, I do not believe we should get in a big fuss about how overpowered Balrogs are just like so many other people started complaining about how overpowered Elven Archers and Trolls are. Just let Balrogs be Balrogs, okay

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

It will only be available for one time in the whole campaign and not be able to move to further places so don't start crying and take the challenge

Orson's Avatar Libertus

patch 1.4 just came out, let the team cool off before we start asking them to do fixes.

Ya hes right, and if you've read the books, and watched the movies. THE BARLOGS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE UNDEFEATED GENIOUS! THEY A MISTICAL MONSTER, jeez. And they fine,i killed them easily with gondor, and high elves. Just put all your units on them

Quote Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
    Too powerfull? I just set up a battle between ten balrogs and sixty ents. They lost not a single unit, slaughtering every single ent. Okay I think, Lets see what it takes to take one of these things down...

So I set up another battle with the faction most likely to encounter this fearsom creature first, the Silvan Elves [In my opinion] 1300 archeers, half of which are teir three, and the other half teir two, with three horse archers.

I ran out of arrows, lost every one of my heavy archers, most of my horseman and half the light archers before they finaly started to die. This was one on 1600 troops with -Just- the balrog unit. I know it is an old old enemy of everyone that took out gandalf but there are ten of these suckers to a unit.

Are they recruitable on a regular basis, even if it is once every 50 turns, or is it just a one time nightmare?
    DO NOT BOTHER BALROG WITH ARROW, you have no chance to kill balrog with "KK weaken archers done in patch 1.4" and "Balrog defence like 50+"

just send them all in melee with Balrog, it didn't that too much powerful

I send Galadhrim archers with 6 experiences vs Balrog 9 experiences, their attacker 13+ will kills Balrog =)
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

I have played against Balrog in Custom Battles and I found that Simple Sword Fighters are doing great against the Balrogs, just try it and see the results.

When facing the Balrog be ready for some real casaulties, but make sure you will stop their charge with the most weakest unit you have got, then you can easelly suround them and they will start to fall down like butterflies.

Avoid to engage the Balrog with Cavalery(unless is a weak, light, cheap and easelly replaceble unit) or with 2H-Weapons and also Spear and Pike Units.

Use only Infantry against them.

One weak unit that will take the damage from the first colision, use the same unit to fight them, the Balrogs will start to spread out and when they do that with another 2 Infantry units charging good they will suround each Balrog and they will start to fall like you will never seen it before.

Arrows are 100% useles against them. Balistas, Catapults or Trebuches(Gondor) are doing a nice job if their projectiles will hit the Balrogs.
    Kids in the back seats causes accidents .
    Accidents in the back seats causes kids .

Quote Originally Posted by Aragon45 View Post
    THE BARLOGS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE UNDEFEATED GENIOUS! THEY A MISTICAL MONSTER,
    Read what I wrote if you are going to post and start flameing partner, I know they are ancient and evil and altogether no good, able to face off against gandalf himself. Read, it does wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Aragon45 View Post
    Just put all your units on them
    Fantastic strategy you have there "Genius". And wilst you do this the whole of the enemy army is surrounding and crushing your bunched up troops to smithereens with the balrogs at the chewy center knocking down all of your units.

To be honest Aragon, you might want to tone down your posts just a tad because each one that I have seen so far has been somewhat offensive in some way. This for example wasn't just critisizing it was insulting, which I don't appreciate.

Thank you to Masterbigab for answering my other question. At least they will only be a pain once.

And thanks to Infinity for the tactics and tips. I tried a few of your suggestions [Again, just Mono é mono], and they do die quite nicely to a balista missle to the face, or a thrown rock from a catapult. Though that will not take them all out, each one taken by a seige weapon will mean maybe five hundred to a thousand more of my troops surviving the battle.

There are multiple balrogs? Sounds kind of funny

Will have to try them out against trolls in a custom match

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by damnmap View Post
    There are multiple balrogs? Sounds kind of funny

Will have to try them out against trolls in a custom match
    Why funny ?
    Tolkien wrote about more balrogs (an unknown number) in the old ages, so it is not unlikly that there remained some of them which fight "together"

Blizard's Avatar Libertus

They should be at least a bit slower. In the movies, the Fellowship could run away from him. Now in the game, when they run, no infantry unit has a chance to escape them.
    On the seventh day of creation the God said "Not enough mana!"

Tom Servo's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBigAb View Post
    Why funny ?
    Tolkien wrote about more balrogs (an unknown number) in the old ages, so it is not unlikly that there remained some of them which fight "together"
    Yes it is unlikely, since it is stated multiple times that the Balrog of moria is the last of its kind. (I do understand why there are multiple ingame though)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizard View Post
    They should be at least a bit slower. In the movies, the Fellowship could run away from him. Now in the game, when they run, no infantry unit has a chance to escape them.
    IF Balrog intended to chase someone down, I believe he can be really that fast =)
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

Yeah I am getting a bit tired of the "super" units. LETS MAKE SOME UBERZ BADDAZZ BAD DUDES MAN!!

This is why I nerf trolls every time I get a new patch. They are broken powerful and destroy immersion and fun campaigns because everything becomes about the trolls whenever they appear...I will nerf the balrog as well. I don't mind it being tough, but if it's going to be part of a faction why make it so strong?

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mhydrian View Post
    Yeah I am getting a bit tired of the "super" units. LETS MAKE SOME UBERZ BADDAZZ BAD DUDES MAN!!

This is why I nerf trolls every time I get a new patch. They are broken powerful and destroy immersion and fun campaigns because everything becomes about the trolls whenever they appear...
    The trolls are supposed to be that powerful, and their being so powerful is what adds to the immersion and fun of the game. You just need to know the right ways to counter them.

I will nerf the balrog as well. I don't mind it being tough, but if it's going to be part of a faction why make it so strong?
    Here is why:

http://www.vangor.de/mittelerde/etep/B/balrogs.html

Like MasterBigAb said, it will only be available for one time in the whole campaign and will not be able to move to further places, so I don't see what you're afraid of.

The only thing that I miss in these Balrogs are their flaming mane, and their whips of fire (which were actually their favourite weapon). Apart from these small details, they rock.

I had an idea about the Balrog, and I thought I would post it here. Right now the general is an orc with a balrog bodyguard, right?
    I thought that a unique balrog general model could be made for Durin's Bane, the original balrog awoken in Moria, who killed a couple of
    the dwarves kings. Let the current balrog model be kept as his bodyguard and rename the general Durins Bane on the campaign map.
    It even makes sense lore wise, vaguely, as other balrogs might have survived from the first age and might have been gathered together
    by this one. Is this possible?
    Screw multiculturalism and the horse it rode in on

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Astor View Post
    I had an idea about the Balrog, and I thought I would post it here. Right now the general is an orc with a balrog bodyguard, right?
    I thought that a unique balrog general model could be made for Durin's Bane, the original balrog awoken in Moria, who killed a couple of
    the dwarves kings. Let the current balrog model be kept as his bodyguard and rename the general Durins Bane on the campaign map.
    It even makes sense lore wise, vaguely, as other balrogs might have survived from the first age and might have been gathered together
    by this one. Is this possible?
    If I remember correctly, that's impossible because every general's model is automatically resized to human size, and that would give us a human-sized Balrog with large Balrogs as his bodyguard.

And even if it was possible, we would only keep the general, preferably with a troll bodyguard.

I think the balrogs are fine, the dwarves took them down easily enough i thought. Considering the balrogs reputation im more than happy with them, as its said before they only apear once every so often in the campaign, and as there is only one unit its fine.

If one balrog unit is able to single handedly kill off your entire army in the campaign, then you should bring more troops to kill it with

As a SE balrogs killed 3 stacks of spearmens and it took almost all my arrows and i had 7 stacks of woodland-what-ever-archers. Pretty tough ones.

I say this again...

There were "super units" in The lord of the Rings, if you didn't know.
    This will make the game more interesting.

If you don't like it, don't download this patch...
    A Eruchîn,u-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast