Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - **Complete**

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire

Great update. Just one thing:
    not only is the land one either side
    I think you meant: not only is the land on either side.

By the way, I agree with you on making the battles unfair for your opponent. I usually try to minimize my losses while maximizing the enemy's losses. That usually means doing whatever it takes to win while doing that, as well as attacking.

One of my favorite examples of that is in Rome Total War when the enemy sallies out of a settlement. I tend to send my forces as quickly as possible to form a half circle around the area outside of the gate. Once a few units have come out of the gate, I attack them from all sides and rout them. Then I pull back and wait until a few more enemy units come out and repeat the process. If I do it well I can get inside the city before I even have to fight the enemy cavalry. If I'm really lucky I can get my cavalry to capture all the enemy gates before their cavalry gets back inside the settlement.

The last part about locking the enemy cavalry out of their own settlement doesn't usually work, but when it does it's hilarious.

Default Continuing the Counter-Jihad and the Myth of Roman Invincibility is Shattered

From the Diaries of Emperor Skantarios.

March, 1487 AD

The year begins with the situation in Anatolia and Thrace very precarious.

The capitol is now under siege by the Khwarezm army. They consist mostly of ranged troops with elephants. I am confident in our defenders and will leave the city to take care of itself. There are also at least three Egyptian armies declared for the Jihad, one at Constantinople and two in Anatolia. Considering my options, I see that the one near Ankara offers the possibility of not only weakening the Jihad further but also of possibly taking the city. Therefore, I decide to attack east against the Egyptians.

I first send out a blocking force of cavalry to hold the approaches to the city while I attack with the main army against the Jihad soldiers.

Sixth Battle of the Counter-Jihad, June 1487 AD.

Spoiler for Sixth Battle of the Counter-Jihad

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to the Imperial Archives 1487 AD

The Egyptians have clearly learned their lessons from previous battles. They are providing excellent balance to their armies with ranged troops and cavalry. The only weakness to this army is their lack of heavy cavalry. However, their Mamalukes can also serve in this capacity quite well so it is not much of an advantage.

My own forces show some of the wear and tear of previous battles. Many of my horse archers and light cavalry are away for retraining. To augment my forces, I have recruited a company of mercenary Alan light cavalry to help chase down the enemy horse archers.

The battle begins, as most of these do, with a duel between the horse archers of the two armies. The Mamalukes are heavier and can match the range of my Cavalarii. So, I place my archers on a hill for one advantage and then send the Alans to lock them up in a melee battle. Again, it is hard to be a mercenary in my army. They definitely earn their pay.

The Alans take the brunt of the enemy arrow fire but succeed in their mission of causing them to flee while taking concentrated fire from our archers.

As this battle is taking place, I send my light horse out to the flanks to encircle the enemy and draw them into a kill sac.

Whenever an enemy company breaks ranks, the light horse swoop in to charge them.

The general loses his nerve and attempts to charge my archers. They are much faster than his heavy horse and are able to scamper away while raining arrow fire on him.

He is soon alone and isolated. Although he tries to flee back to the safety of his army, he falls with a multitude of arrows in his back.

The enemy infantry is then encircled and shot to pieces.

The few survivors are then charged by my heavy horse. They break under the attack and flee. None escape the pursuit.

The bulk of our losses come from the Alans and some of my light cavalry.

The survivors of this battle are released with the hope they will flee to Ankara. They do that but my exhausted army cannot come to grips with them before we must set up camp. Although we are in site of Ankara, we can march no further. We will have to wait for the new year to attack the city.

Therefore, I order one of my best spies to attempt to infiltrate the city and open the gates.

He succeeds and will await our attack in the new year.

December, 1487 AD

It appears that our wait is short. The Egyptians do not want to wait for our siege and attack us here at our winter camp. They bring a new army to the attack to augment the city's garrison and the survivors of the Jihad I released earlier.

First Battle of Ankara, December 1487 AD.

Spoiler for First Battle of Ankara

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to the Imperial Archives 1487 AD

The attacking Egyptian army contains many of the dreaded Mamalukes as well as some long-range heavy archers. The Tabardariyya are also back along with some other light troops. They are weak in spearmen, though the Tabardariyya will be dangerous in a close fight.

The city's garrison is led by some light cavalry along with some light infantry.

The soldiers of the jihad also come back to try and finish what they started earlier in the year. I now regret my earlier "generosity" in releasing them.

Looking at their composition, I have three advantages that I will exploit. First, they are all led by rank-and-file captains and should have lower morale because of it. Second, two of the armies have no ranged troops at all and should be easy prey for my Cavalarii and Magyars. Third, their attack will most be disjointed as they are coming from three directions. I must not let them combine and will therefore take the attack to them.

My forces are exhausted but still have a lot of fight left in them and have only suffered minor casualties in the previous battles.

The battle opens with the first Egyptian army sending out their horse archers. I decide to change tactics somewhat and put aside a ranged battle in order to trap the Mamalukes with my light and heavy cavalry. While the Mamalukes take up position to fire on us, I send out my light cavalry to the flanks and then bring them in to crush the Mamalukes between them and my heavy cavalry.

We swamp them with our cavalry and break them between us.

Their captain was among the Mamalukes and dies under the powerful hooves of our armored horse.

The Magyars fly out to the flanks to bring the ex-jihadis under attack and harass them as they struggle to link up with their countrymen.

With the loss of the Mamalukes, my Cavalarii are now free to attack the garrison army at range. They do so with devastating effect.

The archers concentrate their fire on the light horse and they are no match for the Cavalarii's composite bows.

The commander of the garrison falls under the onslaught of arrows and joins his dead troopers amongst the tall grass and flowers of the field.

The ex-jihadists see that all is now lost and try to retreat back across the field. My Magyars are relentless and none of them escape.

I sense the remainder of the enemy is ready to break and I send in my light and heavy horse for a concentrated charge.

They break and the battle is over. All that is left is the pursuit.

Very few escape.

As I am so far away from home and exposed here at Ankara, I order the prisoners executed. The few survivors do not form a coherent force and melt away into the highlands of central Anatolia.

January, 1488 AD

When the new year comes, the Egyptians have not reinforced the destroyed garrison of Ankara and I order my troops in to take the city. It is sacked without mercy. I take special pride in marching through the gates of the former capitol of the Turkish Empire. The Sultan's palace makes for a very nice resting place.

As inviting as Ankara is, I cannot wait here any longer. The situation at Constantinople has become very dangerous and demands my attention.

No fewer than four Jihad armies now surround the capitol and await their turn at assaulting the city. I am too far away to be of much help this year. Nevertheless, I leave behind only the mercenaries that survived the battle as a garrison for Ankara and head back for Nicea. Unfortunately, the Egyptians have placed two small armies in my path and I must fight through them in order to return.

Second Battle of Ankara, March 1488 AD.

Spoiler for Second Battle of Ankara

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to the Imperial Archives 1488 AD

The Egyptian army has a lot of heavy infantry but no cavalry.

My forces are rested and fresh off enjoying the sack of Ankara.

Why these Egyptians choose to stay and fight, I am not sure. They are completely outnumbered and outclassed and have no realistic chance in this battle. Still, for every one I kill here today, it is fewer for to fight tomorrow.

The "battle" is not much to speak of. It consisted mostly of horse archers shooting the infantry where they stand.

It can best be described as an exercise in target practice.

We can take no pride in this. It is simply slaughter. Fortunately, our target discipline is improving and we lose none to friendly fire.

As we are in a hurry to return to Nicea and do not wish to leave any Egyptian forces around Ankara, I order our army to engage the second Egyptian force near Ankara.

Third Battle of Ankara - April 1488 AD

Spoiler for Third Battle of Ankara

The Egyptian forces are led by another captain and consist entirely of infantry. We will have to watch out for their archers but their lack of cavalry should open them up for our light cavalry.

I have left behind my mercenaries to garrison Ankara and take only true Roman soldiers with me to this battle.

My men are all seasoned veterans now and all know their assignments and duties.

I decide to give a speech to the men before battle to get them in the right frame of mind.
    Spoiler for Motivational Speech by Emperor Skantarios

"Kill them all!"

The only difficult part of this battle was removing their archers and avoiding their spears. Fortunately, my light horse has become very adept at this maneuver.

The archers are soon removed and the infantry are now helpless to respond to our arrows.

The infantry run around uselessly as my light and heavy cavalry scamper away from their advances and my horse archers hound them mercilessly.

It is over quickly and with precious few losses.

With the road to Nicea now open, we make full speed back to the city. We are able to reach the Moorish General who is waiting just on our side of the Bosporus and bring him to battle. He is pinned against the straits and has no place to run.

Seventh Battle of the Counter-Jihad, August 1488 AD.

Spoiler for Seventh Battle of the Counter-Jihad

This is our first engagement with the Muslims of Northern Africa. They have brought some of the famous Numidian Horsemen as well as spearmen from as far away as Spain!

The Moors are led by a Malik ibn Mahbub. The "son of Mahbub" sounds like more of a joke than a name.

I note that he dislikes Orthodox. The feeling is mutual. I am truly surprised that one so impious has taken up the call to jihad. Perhaps his prospects at home were hampered by his unfortunate name...

Our forces again consists entirely of cavalry. We are somewhat depleted and exhausted by our long march but remain confident that we can handle these Moors.

With the beautiful Sea of Marmara in the distance, we offer battle to the Moors and they accept. Our horse archers hold a significant range advantage and we use it to bring down their cavalry.

The Numidians may be famous but they are still light cavalry using javelins and no match for the composite bow.

Their infantry are surprisingly fleet and our horse must displace in order to maintain separation.

During the chase, the general becomes separated and is an easy mark for our archers.

His armor is very strong, though, and he takes many hits. He will not go down despite almost his entire bodyguard falling around him. Apparently, their armor is not so fine as his.

I decide to challenge this Moor to combat and lead a charge against him.

The general is outnumbered and falls under our horsemen.

Our men pause for a moment to step on him and his steed. A rather inglorious way for a proud noble of Islam to die.

At the sight of their general going down, his remaining men flee. Apparently, the fire of Jihad is only so strong in these men.

They are all chased down and captured. To have come so far for so little...

The prisoners are ransomed but it is refused. These men clearly had little support at home.

With the conclusion of the battle against the Moors, my men are completely spent. We do not even have the energy to march back to Nicea and instead set up camp here at the Straits. The sight of our capitol under siege is troubling but we have full confidence in Diadohos Vasileios and the garrison.

I order some of Nicea's militia garrison to begin the march to Ankara to augment the mercenaries but they will not arrive before the season is out.

I note with some disgust that the Papacy is openly trading around the capitol; stealing from my own merchants and profiting off the valuable silk trade. This mockery cannot continue and I order the offending merchant "removed."

I hope this man's death will show the Papacy that they are not welcome here.

The situation in Anatolia seems ripe for another move. The Turks have lost many and their defenses seem weak. My spies report no enemy forces within striking distance of Smyrna. I therefore authorize Genessios to take the majority of the garrison of Canakkale south to attempt to take Smyrna.

While we are in camp across the Straits, we observe the enemy assault Constantinople!

Fourth Battle of Constantinople / Eighth Battle of the Counter-Jihad, September 1488 AD.

Spoiler for Fourth Battle of Constantinople

From Battle Report Filed by Diadohos Vasileios to Emperor Skantarios, September 1488 AD

The forces of ancient Persia hold a certain mystique about them. We have all heard tales of the battles of our ancestors against them back in the times when they worshipped fire gods. Now they worship Allah and have come here to take our city.

The Khwarezm/Persian forces bring to battle many different types of troops.

Of particular note, these are the first elephants seen at the capitol since the days of Heraclius, almost 1000 years ago.

Our garrison is lacking cavalry but I do not think we will need it. We now have a Mangonel for the first time. It's range and fire will be very useful.

The battle begins with the advance of the Persian siege towers, elephants, and ram.

The Persian general clearly has confidence in his elephants. However, his confidence is misplaced and they prove no match for the cannon towers and fire arrows we send against them. All fire is concentrated on the elephants.

Some of the beasts go down to cannon fire. We are thrilled when the ancient sources prove correct and that elephants can be spooked by fire.

Our fire arrows soon send them raging back into their own ranks!

The Persian general must now truly regret bringing these monsters to the fight as they now plow huge holes through his own troops.

The carnage they sow into their own forces is both joyous and horrifying!

The enemy's siege towers are hit several times by direct hits from our cannons but still they press on. They soon reach the walls but their light infantry are no match for the stout Roman swordsmen.

The fight on the east side goes well for us also.

The first ram of the enemy is soon broken by cannon fire. The second fares no better. At the sight of their second ram being destroyed, the rest of the enemy infantry abandon an assault on the gates and advance to reinforce their brothers on the walls. Their cavalry prudently retreats out of range.

With the enemy cavalry retreating, I feel confident sallying out the Siphonores to engage the enemy waiting their turn on the walls.

They bring down many on the southern tower. In fact, the fire provides the last little bit of structural damage to one tower and it comes crashing down, killing almost 100 of the enemy in the process!

Another company of Siphonore fires on the northern tower.

The death toll is high.

With the infantry assault on the walls defeated. I lead our spearmen out to engage the remainder of the enemy cavalry and their general.

We take some losses but the Persian general and his horsemen are all killed.

The prisoners are ransomed but no money is forthcoming. Therefore, they are executed.

We do note, however, that elephant meat is rather tasty.

With the defeat of the Khwarezm assault on Constantinople, we rejoice! The capitol is safe for another year. The fight against the Jihad is not over but Vasileios and I have struck it a mighty blow.

Our celebrations come to a quick end when a breathless courier from Genessios's bodyguard comes galloping into our camp. He is muddy and bloodstained and bears a hastily written dispatch from my son.

Our assault forces from Canakkale enroute to Smyrna have been attacked!

Battle of Smyrna - November 1488 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Smyrna

From Battle Report Filed by General Genessios to Emperor Skantarios, November 1488 AD

Father, I write to you with a heavy heart. We have met disaster on the road to Smyrna!

We set out with full confidence and high hopes. As is normal practice, we sent several scouts to confirm our path and look for the enemy. Always the reports came back that our path was clear of the enemy. One night, one patrol did not return. I thought little of it until the sun rose the next morning and a large Turkish army was marching toward our position!

They appeared out of nowhere! They seemed spawned from the ground itself. We could clearly see the banners of the Janissaries in the distance but could scarcely believe it.

My own forces were not suited to a field battle but had instead been drilling and preparing for a city assault.

We took up position as best as we could. Our archers laid out stakes, our cannon took up firing positions, our infantry formed battle lines, and our skirmishers were deployed forward.

The enemy, I have to report, came on with impeccable discipline and tightly dressed ranks. These were clearly experienced and well-drilled Soldiers.

They were like a sight from Hell itself.

Our cannons engaged as soon as they could but they did little damage.

When the enemy was close enough, our cannons switched to grapeshot but still they came. Their gunners and horse archers marched right up to our lines and opened fire.

The Mangonel fired again and again but the damage was minor and scattered.

The missile battle continued for some time but our archers seemed ineffective and our skirmishers were killed by the score. They soon fled under the barrage of arrows and bullets.

It was as though the Turks were toying with us as they pounded away at our lines.

Finally, the Turkish heavy horse charged in from the flanks.

Their general lead the assault. Our men were no match for their armored horse! The infantry fought like madmen but could make little impression on the Turkish armor.

The Janissary Infantry then charged into the melee and our lines soon began to crumble.

I charged my own bodyguard against them but we were swamped.

God forgive me but I knew the battle was lost and I ordered a retreat.

The enemy pursuit was swift. They fired arrows and bullets at us even as we fled. They even killed some of their own men in their desire to get just a few more Roman heads.

We left many good Romans on the field that day.

The few prisoners taken were executed.

Father, please do not blame the men. They fought like true warriors but we were outnumbered and outclassed. If there is fault to be had, it lies with me. It was my own poor scouting that failed to locate this enemy. Also, I fled the field. At the time, I thought it prudent to save what I could so that we could fight another day. Now, the shame and guilt make me wish I had died with my men. I send this letter to you from our small camp in the hills east of Canakkale. I will attempt to make our way back to the fortress as soon as I can and salvage whatever is possible.

I will await your punishment there. I accept whatever you decide and I take full responsibility for this disaster.

- Genessios Ksiros

The news strikes me like a punch to the stomach. Our entire southern front destroyed! The approaches to Canakkale lay open and the garrison consists only of a few militia! My son only escaped with his life at the last minute. Almost 1300 Romans slain on the field. Even now, I can see in my mind their corpses laying dead and bloated in the sun.

I can find little blame with Genessios. From his description (and I have no reason to doubt it), he did as much as possible. He just did not have the forces to fight an army such as this.

How did my network of spies and scouts fail me so? No report had reached me of this large and veteran Turkish army. Where had they come from? Did another age class of Janissaries graduate and then fly to the battlefield? Where, I wonder, is this army now? I send couriers racing to Canakkale and more to Adrianople to ready the fortresses for attack. I know not where they shall strike again but I shall remember the name Bayezid Taskentli. This Turk must be made to pay for what he has done this day.

The news has shaken the confidence of not only our army but all the Roman Empire. We have gone from victory to victory for years but this defeat has shown us that we are not invincible. I had always known that but now I truly believe it. We shall have to take greater care from now on.

I end the year with a troubled heart and mind. Even now more Jihad armies move toward Constantinople and Canakkale lies exposed to a Turkish attack. My army constitutes the bulk of the field forces remaining and virtually all of our veteran troops. However, I must send some back to Adrianople for retraining and I am not as sure of my position in Anatolia as I once was.

Still, the fight against the Jihad must continue. The capitol must be preserved; nothing is more important. We will try to save the situation in Anatolia if possible but I am not sure we have the troops. I order new levies and recruitment at Adrianople, Sofia, and even Mystras to try to make up for our losses. This will take time and I am not sure we have it.

I am Skantarios.

The world as we know it, 1488 AD.

The world as it actually is, 1488 AD.

Military Power 1488AD.

Territorial ranking 1488 AD.
    Last edited by Skantarios; May 23, 2010 at 02:23 AM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

And there you have it. The first real defeat for the Romans and the Jihad is still on the march. Not sure where that Turkish army came from but they were killers. Also, about half of our "kills" against the Turks were resurrected at the end of the battle, so they are still strong.

Not to spoil things but we will be seeing them again soon.

As a spoiler for the next update:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"Skantarios in the Fight of His Life, Retreat and Defeat in Anatolia, and the Counter-Jihad Continues"
    Last edited by Skantarios; January 24, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dezikeizer View Post
    Great update. Just one thing:I think you meant: not only is the land on either side.
    Thanks. Fixed!

I liked the tactic about the enemy sallying out of the city. The games does have a lot of things that probably wouldn't work in real life but are great fun in the game. Of course, some of the things that are possible in real life aren't possible in the game, so I guess it sort of balances out.

Quote Originally Posted by eregost View Post
    Looking forward to the next update Just want to correct you on the term Jihadis. They are called Mujahideen
    I agree that you are technically correct. However, jihadis is what Skantarios is calling them and he isn't as worried about being politically correct. It is a term in common use but, as you said, not the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by EmberFlame View Post
    Btw, are you fielding any significant garrisons besides at Constantinople?

And if you look at your last map, it appears the HRE lost a few of its southern castles and vienna to what appears to be the genoese. Hungary could actually be attacking them.
    The only respectable garrisons outside of Constantinople are in Arta to the west and Iasi to the north. They are the border settlements most likely to be attacked. We just don't have the economy right now to field more forces. Running right at a zero balance most turns.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great update, unfortunate that you lost that battle, but at least you made the Turks lose a lot of men in the process. Good luck with turning the situation around.
    In fact, the fire provides the last little bit of structural damage to one town
    Shouldn't town be tower.

Basileus Skantarios the Merciless, the Silver-tongued, the MIGHTY!! I love it!
    His army is crushing everything in its pad. Perhaps only a mighty feeld army of The Golden Horde can stop him.

Unfortunate you lost the battle of Smyrna. Defeat was inevitable.
    Good luck with the Counter-Jihad

Civis

My god, you may be ground away by sheer numbers. Five different factions providing something close to ten Jihad armies...

Quote Originally Posted by dezikeizer View Post
    Shouldn't town be tower.
    You are correct. Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy winter View Post
    Basileus Skantarios the Merciless, the Silver-tongued, the MIGHTY!! I love it!
    His army is crushing everything in its pad. Perhaps only a mighty feeld army of The Golden Horde can stop him.

Unfortunate you lost the battle of Smyrna. Defeat was inevitable.
    Good luck with the Counter-Jihad
    Thanks. Yes, it is kind of funny how the game keeps changing Skantarios's moniker. We've gone through "the Conqueror" and "the Merciless" and "the Silver-Tongued" (no idea how that became the dominant trait for less than a turn) and now the "Mighty". I have a feeling he will be going back to "the Merciless" soon.

If anyone would care to weigh in, do all the battles add to or detract from the AAR? I could easily skip a few of the smaller ones if the updates are starting to get weighed down by it. It would also save me some time. Just trying to get a feeling for how well this is flowing given that the last update and probably the next one seem to be just a continuous flow of battles.

Again, thanks for reading! I enjoy hearing the feedback.

Okay, now I'll get started on the next update. It looks to be epic as I have a lot of battles to cover. May be tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully not much later than that.

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Nice to see you lost The situation does look difficult. I wonder for long they will keep sending Mujahideen against you. I will disappointed by the AI's use of their elephants though
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Spelling Nazi here again.(Yes, I know they usually attack grammar; deal with it.)
    Not feeld; field is the word you are looking for.
    That aside:
    Great updates, it must bite when those mounted archers are working against you.
    Well, that was obviously clear to all reading.
    Looking forward to seeing which holy fire will burn brightest.

Civis

I think the battles are very well done. The only problem is that you always win, and you did just lose (and it was the heir to the throne who was defeated to!) You dont seem to fight many "minor" battles, though the crushing of those small forces along the road is the exception. Other then that you always have a chance of losing to the enemy force, somehow.

Aspirin4o's Avatar Foederatus

"Kill them all!"
    That was the best motivational speech I've ever heard.
    Otherwise, great AAR, I don't think I would have the skills to handle 1450 Byzz campaign.

P.S. Expecting the next one with great interest

Great AAR as always! Keep it up - interested to see how things hold up againt to Turks.

Good luck in the fight!

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

You lost on purpose, didn't you?
    Miss me yet?

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by IPA35 View Post
    Looking at that monstrous turkish army... I don't think so

He didn't stand a chance against that army. It was the perfect setup and they were all upgraded elite veteran troops. Even if Skantarios was using his main army he would have had a tough time.

Quote Originally Posted by IPA35 View Post
    No, that one I lost fair and square. I have no idea where that army came from. I don't know this for sure but the game seems to auto-generate those veteran Janissary armies every so many turns. They just appear and cause havoc. I didn't see this one coming and the army was not ready for them. Looking back, not sure there was much I would have done differently as far as tactics. I was just outclassed and outnumbered. Had to happen eventually.

Will post the next update tonight. Have it pretty much finished, just putting the last touches on it.

Default Skantarios in the Fight of His Life, Retreat and Defeat in Anatolia, and the Counter-Jihad Continues

From the Diaries of Emperor Skantarios.

March, 1489 AD

The collapse of the southern front is of great concern to the Empire. The training of troops to replace them is hampered by both time and money. We have precious little of each. Until we can patch up something resembling a defensive force for the south, our toehold in Anatolia is vulnerable. I can only hope that the Turks will turn against Egypt and not back to us.

As I survey the lands we hold, I am struck by how we are over-weighted in fortresses compared to the cities we hold. We have seven cities (two recently sacked and taken) but eight fortresses. This is the nature of our nation at war with multiple hostile frontiers. While this provides us ample training facilities and a base for our military, we are continually hampered by our lack of funds. Also, with many of our neighbors openly hostile, we have only a few avenues of trade outside of our own Empire. Even those cities with ports are periodically blockaded restricting trade even more. If it was not for our sacking of numerous cities during the campaign, we would be hopelessly in debt. I have taken steps to improve the economy but this will, again, take time and money that we don't have a lot of. Still, I cannot cut short the military as it is the only thing keeping us alive.

An overview of the strategic situation shows our troubles and the tenuous nature of our frontiers. The north seems secure for now. However, around Constantinople five Jihad armies are either at the capitol or within striking distance.

To the west, the Sicilians have landed another army on our coast at Arta and are preparing to attack the fortress.

To the south, the Turkish armies are fresh off their victory over my son and look to be readying an attack on Canakkale.

And to the west, our new conquest of Ankara has only a scratch garrison of a few mercenaries and lies on the hostile border with both Egypt and Turkey.

Our ultimate priority remains the safety of our capitol and the defeat of the (seemingly) never-ending Jihad. To this, I turn my attention. My first move will be to attack the forces of the Jihad.

I utilize the newly constituted home fleet to move my army across the Straits and link up with some of our newly retrained forces from Adrianople and Sofia. With my army back up to a serviceable strength, we attack the Egyptians.

Ninth Battle of the Counter-Jihad, April 1489 AD

Spoiler for Ninth Battle of the Counter-Jihad

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to the Imperial Archives 1489 AD

This army constitutes the fifth that the Egyptians have contributed to the Jihad. They are the most powerful Islamic nation and seem to have an inexhaustible reserve of manpower to draw from. I do note with a great deal of satisfaction that this army is led by the Heir to the Egyptian Caliphate.

If I can defeat him here, will his father come next? I pray that I will live to see that day and face the leader of the despicable Egyptians to pay him back with steel for the assassination of my father. For now, though, I will content myself with slaying his heir.

Their forces are strong in archers and horse.

The have fewer spears than normal and, perhaps, this will be something I can exploit.

As this has the makings of a ranged battle, I bring up many archers from Adrianople to augment my invaluable Cavalarii.

The foot archers will have the responsibility of taking down the Mamalukes.

The battle begins, as expected, when the Mamalukes race out to bring our forces under fire.

The foot archers get the better of the duel. The Egyptian Taj sees this and decides to exploit our lack of spears. He leads a charge of his cavalry against my archer line.

My archers try to fall back but are caught by the enemy horse. I lead my bodyguard and heavy Scholarii against them.

The lack of Egyptian spears now comes into play as they are ineffective against my cavalry. I concentrate my own attack on the Taj and his bodyguard. I slay the Heir to the Caliphate with my own sword.

With their general now dead, the infantry break. The Mamalukes, however, fall back and continue to rain fire down on my men. My Pronarii heavy cavalry give chase.

In a reverse of previous battles, it is now Roman heavy horse chasing horse archers.

The chase is long but eventually, the horse archers are pinned against the Black Sea and rout.

We take over 200 casualties but mostly in our foot archers trapped in the Egyptian charge. We attempt to ransom the prisoners but they would prefer to meet their maker in "Paradise." We oblige them. I do spare one of their number and give him the head of Taj Amir Abdul-Darda Hashim. I give the man a little gold to deliver the head back to the Sultan. The body I leave for the crows.

After the defeat of the Egyptians, we are now in contact with the Moorish army. They refused to help their Egyptian "brothers" in the previous battle but now face us in battle formation. We have no time to rest or replenish our numbers but must immediately move to battle!

Tenth Battle of the Counter-Jihad, April 1489 AD

Spoiler for Tenth Battle of the Counter Jihad

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to the Imperial Archives 1489 AD

The Moorish army is led by one Rashid.

He is an experienced officer who boasts some success in his military career. He also seems to have a dislike of all Christians. Whatever his career and passions, I will attempt to end them here.

He brings a mostly mercenary force to this fight. The Moors commitment to Jihad does not appear to extend to their soldiers.

The most troubling thing is that he has a contingent of elephants with him. These beasts could cause us some serious problems. What Rashid does not have are any spears. This should be a fatal weakness if we can figure out how to defeat the elephants. Fortunately, the report filed by Vasileios and my own reading of history provides some guide.

My own forces are fresh off the defeat of the Egyptians. We have taken some losses but should still be more than a match for the Moors.

Fortunately, I still have many of my best archers. I order them to prepare their arrows with fire. Let's see how the mighty beasts of the Moors react to being on fire!

The battle begins at dusk. We send cavalry out to the flanks and attempt the lure the Moorish forces into a killing sac. The Moors move forward and our archers bring them under fire. The Moorish general is clearly pinning all his hopes on his elephants and they charge our horse archers.

Our horse archers have no effect on the great beasts. Our arrows seem to just bounce off their hardened skins.

We have better luck with the camel archers. They fire short bows and do not have the range to compete with our Cavalarii.

The elephants finally wander into range of our foot archers. Arrows dipped in naphtha fly through the darkened sky and rain down on the elephants and their riders.

The elephants soon begin to panic and run in every direction even though they have not lost a single animal. Both of our armies manage to stay clear of their rampage but only just.

Our archers keep up their fire on the elephants and soon some of them catch fire!

The Moorish general is soon alone and surrounded. He comes under fire and his entire bodyguard falls around him.

He will not fall to arrows. I therefore decide to give him an honorable death and charge my own bodyguard at him.

He falls under the powerful hooves of our horses. With the death of their general, the mercenary army sees no reason to continue fighting. They throw down their arms and run for the hills.

The few men we lose is the result of an untimely charge by the Moorish general into our archers. Our horsemen are almost untouched.

As a final note, Vasileios was right. Elephant meat is excellent.

Since Constantinople is not under siege at the moment, I decide to finish the campaigning season in camp to the west of the city. Reinforcements for my army are on the way and I have great need of them.

Maria has sent me news that our oldest daughter, Likenia, has now come of age.

I confess that I had completely lost touch with the situation at home. Could it really be so long since those dark days when I sought out Maria for an alliance with the Hungarians? I don't think I would even recognize Likenia today if I saw her but Maria has sent a rather detailed report. She states that Likenia is a good girl and a natural diplomat. However, she is not much to look at and perhaps has become too used to living the good life of court.

I will send her out into Europe to fill the role that Anna played for so many years. Perhaps her soft smile and negotiating skills can ease some of the tensions with the Catholic west. If there is a favorable match to be found, she may even bring us needed allies.

I also hear that Genessios has found a woman at Canakkale that he has become fond of. Although she is only a commoner, I send authorization for him to marry.

I do not want him to think of this as a reward following the disaster at Smyrna. But, perhaps she can help rebuild his shattered confidence with her warm embrace.

The year ends with my forces in camp west of Constantinople. When my reinforcements arrive, we will continue the fight against the Jihad.

April, 1490 AD

The new year opens and I find myself surrounded by Jihad armies!

The Egyptians have laid siege to the capitol, the Turks are to my south, the Moors lay just across the straits, and a new and large Mongolian army has taken up position just north of me.

To the west, the Sicilians have, as expected, laid siege to Arta.

To the south, my scouts report that, inexplicably, the Turks have not moved against Canakkale but instead have contented themselves with blocking the passes to Smyrna. One note of trouble is that we have lost track of Bayezid Taskentli and his powerful army of Janissaries. Are these men demons that can appear and disappear at will?

I cannot worry about that, though, as I have plenty of trouble surrounding me here. I decide to first move against the Turks to my south.

Eleventh Battle of the Counter-Jihad, May 1490 AD.

Spoiler for Eleventh Battle of the Counter-Jihad

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to the Imperial Archives 1490 AD

The Turks have sent their supreme military commander as the leader of their Jihad forces. He is also the Emir of Trebezond, a former Roman possession.

Zekeriya brings a competent force to this battle. They seem quite balanced but I do note the large mercenary element to their army.

The reinforcements I had planned on receiving in the new year are blocked by the Jihad armies so I go into battle with much the same army as I had at the conclusion of last year.

Fortunately, I still have many of my best foot archers. I will count on them to counter the Turkish bowmen.

I await the Turks on the only piece of high ground in the area. The Turks don't wait for me to maneuver but begin moving toward us immediately.

They are an impressive sight at a distance.

The battle begins predictably as a throwing battle between the archers.

I decide to use my mobility to our advantage and send my horse archers to the flanks to take advantage of the Turks being focused on my archers.

The Turkish general rather stupidly tries to run down our horse archers.

His bodyguard loses many.

The Turk must have realized his pursuit was hopeless and he soon turns tail and races back to his infantry and their hoped for protection.

He uses the bodies of his soldiers as shields from our missile fire. It does not go well for them.

The archer battle continues but my men have the advantage of height and kill five for every one they lose.

The supposed safety of hiding behind his infantry is proven false when the Turkish general finally succumbs to concentrated arrow fire.

I look on impassively from on top of the hill.

The death of the Turkish general is the signal for our men to charge!

The Turks wilt under the pressure of an attack from all sides and break as a group.

None escape and none are ransomed.

With the defeat of the Turks to the south, I can now turn my attention to the Mongolian army to my north. The last force sent by the Mongols was just a mercenary rabble, this one is quite different.

Twelfth Battle of the Counter-Jihad, June 1490 AD.

Spoiler for Twelfth Battle of the Counter-Jihad

Subutai "the Merciless" is a wily veteran of steppe warfare and has brought a large and veteran Mongol army with him. As a good Mongol army, they have many archers and will not be so easily overwhelmed in a missile battle.

They also have powerful heavy cavalry. My only advantage is their lack of spears as they have packed their ranks with commoner "Ghazis" fired more by holy ambition than skill.

My forces have lost some men in the previous battle against the Turks. Also, I do not have as many of my best archers as they have taken the brunt of the losses this year and last. I have recruited one unit of mercenary Albanian light cavalry to help offset the losses among my Roman light cavalry.

As we move against the Mongols, I am dismayed to see that the positions are now reversed from my previous battle. The Mongols hold the high ground and do not seem intent on moving anytime soon. Subutai clearly knows what he is doing. His archers will be deadly from their height advantage and I do not have enough light and heavy cavalry to push them off without suffering losses I cannot afford.

I send several companies of my horse archers around to the flanks to see if I can either get a good firing position or lure the enemy off their hilltop.

This backfires as the enemy horse archers pursue and my men take terrible losses as they attempt to maintain their separation and not get in range of the foot archers.

After some time, I advance forward and I am rewarded when Subutai sends his foot archers out to engage us.

This is the moment I was waiting for and my light horse charges into them.

Their horse archers move in to support and I send in my light and heavy horse against them and their Ghazis. As the foot archers are running back to their support, they cannot fire on us and we close the distance quickly.

Subutai then makes his second mistake and sends his heavy horse against my horse archers on the other flank. My men scamper away and take down many of the enemy from range.

My light horse now move against the archers that survived our initial charge and hit them from behind.

Soon, the only one left is Subutai and I bring him down with my bodyguard.

We lose close to a quarter of our men in this fight. Our foot archers were not even able to engage and all the losses were to my cavalry. I will feel their loss keenly in the coming battles.

When I offer the captives up for ransom, it is refused.

The victory clears the area to the west of the capitol but the Egyptian army has laid siege to the east.

I decide to move across the Straits and attack the Moorish army that lies just across the Golden Horn. Again, the Home Fleet provides quick transport to us and the entire operation is complete in just a few days.

The Moors are pinned against the peninsula and have nowhere to run.

The Thirteenth Battle of the Counter-Jihad, July 1490 AD

Spoiler for Thirteenth Battle of the Counter-Jihad

This Moorish general, Abbas, is known both for his speaking abilities as well as his prowess in battle. However, he has never faced true Romans!

I note that the heir to the Moorish throne is also here but has ceded command to the more experienced Abbas.

Since Abbas is the Sultan's "right hand," I cannot imagine why he has brought the heir with him with so few soldiers. It does not seem like he is taking care of the succession very well. Unless the Sultan really does wish him to "take care" of it...

His forces are a mixed and exotic bunch.

The high mercenary content of his army makes me believe that the Moors must (finally!) be running short of troops to commit to the Jihad. They also only have a few long range archers. This is music to the ears of our horse archers especially after the previous battle with the Mongols.

My forces are depleted but are now almost all veteran and come full of confidence.

I sent many of my men back to Adrianople for retraining after our significant losses against the Mongols. I am also critically short of light cavalry although I have recruited another unit of Albanians to take help make up for the loss.

The battle begins poorly for us as an unseasonable rainstorm comes on. This is terrible for our composite bows and will severely limit their effectiveness.

Still, our horse archers move to the enemy's rear and attempt to engage their generals. We have some success against their bodyguard but the rain has weakened our bows to the extent that we cannot kill either of the two Moorish generals.

I decide to take things into my own hands and lead a charge of my bodyguard and Scholarii against the the heir.

His bodyguard falls and he throws up his hands in surrender.

I then lead a second charge against Abbas as my Magyars take down the enemy infantry.

He goes down under a flood of Roman horse.

With one general captured and another killed, the rest of the mercenaries and Ghazis flee.

I offer up a ransom to the Moorish court but it is refused. Apparently, the Sultan really did not want his heir to survive. Politics in Africa must be brutal.

As the campaigning season comes to an end, I find myself in much the same position as two years ago. Fresh off defeating a Moorish Jihad army, I watch as, across the Straits, Constantinople holds off another Jihad army.

Our pleasant interlude is interrupted as, seemingly from nowhere, we are attacked by an army of Turks! I am horrified when I learn that this is the same army that defeated Genessios only two seasons ago. They are led by the same Bayezid Taskentli and come out of nowhere. Again, my spies and scouts have failed us! Is this demon some sorcerer that can appear and disappear at will to strike at us when we are least expecting it?!

We are exhausted and unprepared for this battle but we are as trapped as the Moors were when we attacked them. We have nowhere to run and must turn and face the Turks.

Battle of the Bosporus - September 1490 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of the Bosporus

Bayezid's forces show little wear from their battle with Genessios. They are packed with veteran Janissaries, heavy cavalry, gunners, and archers. They seem to have no weakness in arms.

My own forces are woefully unprepared for this battle.

Our light cavalry is decimated and our heavy cavalry are no match for their pole arms and guns. We have some archers but they are outclassed and outnumbered.

The Turks advance in excellent order. They swagger to battle in full confidence of having defeated Roman arms before.

I struggle to come up with a plan to meet this monster. The only thing I can think of is to disperse our forces and try to get the Turks to split up and then take them on one piece at a time. Their horse archers run up to take on our foot archers. We emplace stakes to prevent their heavy horse from taking us in a rush. The enemy pause and the ranged battle begins in earnest.

My forces are soon scattered over the battlefield in small groups probing for any weak points. We find none. Whenever my horse archers swoop in to take them under fire, they are met with a hail of arrows and bullets. The enemy reacts very quickly and keeps their discipline and mutually supporting fires.

I can think of only one thing to attempt to break them up. I lead a desperate attack against Bayezid himself!

My personal bodyguard are veterans of many, many battles and they fight like heroes of old. However, the Janissaries rush up to support their general and my men fall all around me. Many sell their lives dearly to preserve my own. I swing the Sword of Constantine again and again. Finally, a path to Bayezid is clear. He faces me in a one on one duel. He is a stout warrior and his determination matches my own. I take blow after blow to my chest, legs, and arms. As I feel the Janissaries pulling on my reins, Bayezid is distracted by a blow from a member of my bodyguard. He turns and that is when I cleave him in the neck with one last blow. He falls in a bloody mess off his horse.

While the Janissaries are distracted by the loss of their general, I order a hasty retreat with what remains of my bodyguard. Only five follow me out of the scrum, twelve do not.

If I had hoped that the death of Bayezid would break his army or cause them to lose cohesion I was mistaken. They stay in their mutually supporting positions and move against each piece of my army. The only exception is when their heavy horse break ranks for a time and try to chase my horse archers. We are able to kill some but mostly our arrows just bounce off their heavy armor.

The Scholarii take them on but it is a well-matched duel. The Scholarii fall in droves but take at least one of the enemy's heavy horse for each loss of their own.

The battle ranges all over the field. We are too weak in armored horse to take on their infantry and our horse archers cannot close with the main body without being assaulted by arrow and shot.

I attack again and again with my bodyguard and Scholarii against their gunners but our numbers are depleted further and further until only a few of us remain.

My Cavalarii horse archers, their quivers spent, now charge against the gunners. The gunners are armored and my horse is not. The Cavalarii triumph by sheer force of will but lose half their number in the process.

Doubt begins to creep into my mind as to whether we can win this battle. I pause at the top of the hill with what remains of my exhausted bodyguard. Their faces are blood spattered and fearful, I am sure mine is the same. At that moment, I look down at the Sword of Constantine my father had sent me so many years ago. I feel the power of my ancestors flow through my veins and I decide then and there that I will either win this battle or die here. I grip my sword, spur my horse, and let out a mighty cry in ancient Latin of "Roma Victor!" and charge again into a hail of bullets against their gunners. The few remaining Scholarii follow.

At last, the gunners are killed and the archers driven from the field, my remaining Magyars close and fire point blank on the Janissary infantry. It takes a long time but eventually they succeed in bringing them all down or making them flee.

The victory is ours but only by the narrowest of margins.

This was a battle of mutual annihilation. The bodies of our soldiers lie strewn about the field mixed with those of the Turk.

Our losses are terrible. Little remains of my once-proud army.

My horse archers mostly avoided close combat and many survived. However, we lost over 3/4 of the Magyars and virtually all the light horse, the Pronarii, and the Scholarii. The mercenaries were completely wiped out. The foot archers are all dead. Of my bodyguard, only one survived. For myself, I am seriously wounded from several blows but can still mount a horse and command. I have fought many battles for victory. This day, I fought for my life.

We pull a few survivors from the field but not many. The cream of my army is simply gone. Soldiers who followed me from battlefield to battlefield for years now lay dead here at the Bosporus.

My army is shattered.

March, 1491 AD

The new year of 1491 begins with picking up the pieces from the Battle of the Bosporus. Once we have salvaged what we can, I order the Home Fleet to transport us back to the European side of the Straits. I send my Cavalarii, Magyars, and what remains of my heavy horse away for retraining. Because of the scarcity of trained marksmen, I must scatter the horse archers to fortresses as far away as Mystras and Scopia to the west as well as Adrianople and Sofia closer to home. The only saving grace is that many of my veteran light horsemen were already away for retraining. I will have to count on them for the coming battles but it will be more than a year before I have something resembling a coherent force again.

Near to home, Constantinople remains under siege by the Sixth (and last?) Egyptian Jihad army.

The capitol's garrison is still strong but anything can happen if the Egyptians decide to attack.

The bad news keeps coming with the dawning of the new year. The Turks have moved against Canakkale in the south and now lay siege.

Genessios is still in command there and he has been able to gather some defensive forces. Still, he is terribly under strength.

Also, the Egyptians have laid siege to Ankara in the east.

The garrison consists of only a few mercenaries and local militia but I have no troops with which to ride to their aid. They must stand on their own for now.

The Sicilians have continued their siege of Arta and look poised to attack at any moment.

I will use the balance of this year gathering what forces I can and putting my army back together. I can only hope that the Muslims and Sicilians will give us the time to rebuild before they do too much damage to our domains.

We stand again on a precipice. All of our work of the past twenty years is in danger and I have precious little to counter the onslaught of my enemies. This coming year will tell the tale of what is to become of the reborn Empire.

I am Skantarios.

Special Addendum:
    Spoiler for Personal Diary of Emperor Skantarios 1491 AD

Personal Diary Entry of Skantarios Laskaris, February, 1491 AD - Recovered from Imperial Papers - Confidential - NOT for Publication.

I am weary of war. The constant movement, hardships, and weather have all taken their toll. I have lost so many. The faces of the men I fought beside for years now seem to fade into just a continuous blur. I cannot remember their names any longer. The list is simply too long. Their blood will not come off no matter how long and how well I bathe. I own no clothing that has not been stained with blood.

There is no joy to my life. Only the mission of conquest. Always the mission. War has become my life. There is always a battle to be fought, always an enemy to be defeated. I must continue to move forward. For, if I rest, I fear that I shall never move again. Sadness and pain are my constant companions; always present and my only remaining link to humanity. Still, I am alive. The mission continues.

I am Skantarios.
    Last edited by Skantarios; May 23, 2010 at 02:27 AM.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Brilliant update.
    Revenge certainly didn't come cheap.
    Looking forward to more.
    Keep up the good work.

EDIT: It really does make you feel sorry for the generals who end up chosen for military lives.

Hehe that last part reminded me of The Hurt Locker Excellent update, possibly your best chapter yet. Skantarios seemed very lucky to survive. What will you do when he dies?