Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - **Complete**

Default Victory and Disaster for the Roman Empire

From the Diaries of Diadohos Skantarios.

June, 1474 AD

I tarry in Bucharest to await developments in the south. In my father's name, I have ordered reinforcements from Thessalonica to begin movement east to reinforce the shattered garrison of Adrianople. They will not arrive until winter but will provide needed security to the garrison there. Thus far, the Turks have not made any fresh moves towards Adrianople following their defeat.

I also order the recruitment of more heavy infantry in Mystras and Thessalonica to make up for the transfer of personnel and the anticipated replacements for Constantinople's garrison.

While these movements are under way, I receive word that the Turks have assaulted Constantinople!

The Third Battle of Constantinople - 1474 AD.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

From Battle Report written by Basileus Theodoros.

It seems the well of veteran Turkish armies is vast and they seem to spring up these huge armies of veteran cavalry and Janissaries from the very earth itself. They are led by an able general, Tevfik Kurdoglu.

The devastating force of the Janissary Heavy Infantry has now been displayed in numerous battles. They are tough, deadly in close quarters, and will not break regardless of casualties. The heavy cavalry also completely outmatches anything we can send against them. This battle will be determined as much by our cunning as by our courage.

My forces have been greatly reduced by providing the garrison for Adrianople but are still strong in most facets of arms.

The lack of heavy infantry is particularly troubling. Our nobles have recently raised a company of ballista for the defense. Just like the "assistance" they have provided in the past, these siege machines will be practically useless in the defense. However, we now have two companies of Siphonores. They can provide deadly fire at the gates if our infantry can hold long enough on the walls.

Also, we now have constructed cannon towers for the defense. These should neutralize any common artillery or traditional stone throwing devices the Turk may bring. With luck, they should also bring down the siege towers and/or the battering ram. However, the fire from our cannons is often inaccurate and nothing is sure.

True to our formation for past defenses, we array our spears in a convex pattern in front of the gates with stakes arrayed in front of them. The stakes will counter the charge of their cavalry and cause the enemy infantry to slow as they move through the gate opening them up to javelins and Greek Fire in the flanks.

I take up position on one flank while Vasileios, now at the head of his own bodyguard, guards the other.

The Turks open the battle by sending two siege towers to either side of the Golden Gate while their battering ram moves straight for the gate itself. Despite the withering fire of our cannons, all their siege equipment reaches their intended target. Our archers concentrate their fire on the Janissary infantry and we bring down almost a third before their tower reaches the walls.

The first siege tower drops their ramp and the Janissaries come flooding out.

Our best heavy infantry is there to meet them. We pack the walls on the northern side in hopes that our sheer numbers will hold them back and give us success where we have failed before.

On the southern side, we do not have any heavy infantry but our crossbows are in a perfect position to fire at them as they emerge.

Their fire is accurate and deadly and begins to take a toll.

While the battle for the walls plays out, the Turkish ram batters down the gates and the infantry comes streaming in.

At last, the Turks can taste the true measure of Greek Fire!

The fire sticks to everything and soon dozens fall in a cloud of smoke and fire. Some of our own infantry who were too zealous in closing with the Turks are also caught in the fire.

As the Siphonores fire, the Turkish general comes charging through the gates.

He successfully evades the stakes but, in doing so, is caught by a direct blast of fire. He and his mount are consumed in flames in full sight of his men.

Despite the loss of their general, the Janissaries press the fight on the walls and the survivors from the southern wall cross over the gate to lend their steel to the fight to the north. Our men stand their ground but soon the combined weight of Turkish steel begins to push them back.

At this point, the fight for the gate is complete and I send my remaining heavy infantry to attack the Turks on the wall from the rear.

Our men press them from both sides and, though the Janissaries fight to the last man, the victory belongs to the Romans.

We have lost almost a third of our men. The Siphonores were deadly but caused almost 100 friendly casualties as well. We must take more care when using them in the future lest they turn the battle against us and not the Turk.

The battle was a heroic victory for my father and Roman arms! The few prisoners we take are put up for ransom. However, the Turk is obviously furious at the loss and rejects even the paltry sum we request. Those men are summarily executed when the messenger returns.

The 1400 Turkish bodies are added to the Muslim burial pit outside the city. At least the smell will not be as strong this time due to so many of them being thoroughly cooked.

The news of my father's victory at Constantinople and the previous victory at Adrianople fill me and my men with enormous relief and joy. The gamble has paid off and we are now in possession of a continuous line of territory from the Adriatic to the Black Sea. No longer is our capital an island in a Muslim sea. Trade and messengers can flow freely once again.

The final Turkish holding in Europe remains the citadel of Brasov in the Carpathian Mountains. The Hungarians seem poised to put it under siege but I do not hold much hope for their assault as they have failed several times in the past.

I depart Bucharest and establish a camp at the western limit of Roman territory at the foot of the Carpathians. I will remain here until the results of the Hungarian siege are known. Should they succeed, I will move south and rejoin my father in Constantinople. Should they fail, I will put the citadel under siege myself.

The only news on the diplomatic front which causes us concern is a report from the Adriatic fortress of Arta. A Sicilian force has landed on the shores next to the fortress and seems intent on putting them under siege.

We are at peace with the Sicilians but I cannot imagine why they have landed there unless it is a prelude to war. The garrison is strengthened and extra provisions are laid in. Although the garrison looks to be more than a match for this landing party, we will not strike the first blow. We have more than enough enemies as it is. For now, we are content to wait and see what their intent is.

All preparations are under way for the final offensive in Europe when I receive news that rocks me to my core. Even writing these words in my journal is difficult and I can barely put form to the thoughts with my shaking hand...

My...father...is...dead...

My father was slain by the work of an assassin. What the Muslims could not accomplish on the battlefield, they have done by treachery. Despite thorough precautions, including a compliment of spies and assassins in the capital to fend off just such a threat, a lone assassin made his way silently through the city dressed as a woman, killed an imperial maidservant, and poisoned the wine in my father's bedchamber. My own mother was only spared the same fate due to her late arrival back at the palace after a religious ceremony at the Church of St. Irene. She was the one who discovered him, dead and alone, in his own bed.

The "credit" for this foul deed must go to the Egyptians. The assassin is openly praised by the Egyptian sultan and his court and they have promised to build a commemorative statue in the assassin's name! The disgust I feel for the pride the Egyptians take for such a foul deed is beyond measure. Still, their boasting does give us a critical piece of information: we know who did it. I record his name here so that all will know his infamy and he will be marked for death by any true Roman and Christian.

The palace guard is in disgrace. My own father's bodyguard has been disbanded and sent to live out the rest of their lives in a monastery. Many refuse to go and have committed suicide. Others meekly accept their fate and shave their heads and don the garb of monks to offer prayers for Theodoros' salvation. The spies and assassins in the city charged with countering this type of plot have been sent out of the city on the most hazardous missions to either regain their honor or die in ignominy.

My brother and mother have already offered a huge reward for the head of the assassin and have dispatched men who know how to claim such a prize.

The capital is draped in black to mark Theodoros' passing. His crypt is being prepared in the Church of the Apostles and he will take his place next to Constantine and Justinian as one of the greatest emperors in Roman history. A man of such true valor, courage, and vision deserved a better death than what he received...

Mother and Vasileios are in control of the city and the Council of Nobles has already agreed to recognize their authority in my absence. After being cowed for so many years by father, they dared not go against the Laskaris line now that my brother has officially come of age.

For my part, I pledge retribution on the Egyptians and all Muslims. I will repay the life they took from us fifty thousand times over! I yearn for the day when I can face down Egyptian armies and show them the righteous retribution I will bring on them for what they have done. From now on, I will no longer be called "Skantarios the Conqueror." I am now "Skantarios the Merciless." I shall wear this title as a badge of honor and a warning to the armies of Islam. Expect no quarter when you face me on the field of battle, for I will show none.

Lost in my despair, that night I wander out into our camp at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains. Although it is the middle of the night, my soldiers join me without command in a procession of grief and mourning. There, under the torches we carry, my bodyguard surrounds me and silently lifts me up on their shields and hail me as Imperator and Basileus.

I am now the Roman Emperor.

I am Skantarios.
    Last edited by Skantarios; June 25, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire

bah I hate it when that happens to me! stupid assassins...

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

How old was Theodoros?

At least Skantarios is a great successor.

Default RIP: Basileus Theodoros Laskaris

In Memoriam to Basileus Theodoros Laskaris

1417-1474AD*

Theodoros Laskaris was born a minor noble from Greece. He was married to Maria, a commoner from Athens, and fathered three children by her (Skantarios, Anna, and Vasileios). He further adopted one other son (Nikodimos).

Theodoros served from the age of 16 in the armies of the Roman Empire and was eventually promoted to the rank of General of the Army of the Peloponnese. Following the death of John VIII Palaiologos and the subsequent murder of Constantine XI by the Council of Nobles, he led a successful coup in Constantinople deposing the ranking members of the Council and assuming the throne in 1450 AD.

Under his direction, the Roman armies conquered the cities of Athens, Iraklion, Thessalonica, Arta, Scopia, Durazzo, Ragusa, Adrianople, and Bucharest. He personally led the assault and capture of Adrianople and commanded the garrison of Constantinople during three successful defenses of the city from armies of the Seljuk Turk Empire. These victories expelled the Turkish and Venetian forces from the territories of Greece, Thessaly, Macedonia, Epirus, Crete, the Balkans, and Bulgaria.

He was assassinated by poison in the Imperial Palace by agents of Egypt in 1474 AD.

He is succeeded as Emperor by his son Skantarios. His youngest son, Vasileios, assumes the title of Diadohos (Junior Emperor).

Following a large funeral procession attending by the entire populace of Constantinople, he was buried in the Church of the Apostles on September 15, 1474 AD. His tomb was placed alongside the great Emperors Constantine, Justinian, Heraclius, and Alexios.

*-Date of birth adjusted to account for time distortion in game between actual time elapsed and character aging.
    Last edited by Skantarios; January 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernem View Post
    bah I hate it when that happens to me! stupid assassins...
    I totally agree. I really wanted him to continue to a ripe old age to "free up" Skantarios for further adventures. I will continue with Skantarios as the lead general in the armies but it would have made more sense if Theodoros lived longer.

Still, it's what happened and makes for a decent storyline. The only thing is that now the 14-year old Vasileios is in charge of the capital, Constantinople. A heavy burden for a kid who just went through puberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatius Flaccus View Post
    How old was Theodoros?

At least Skantarios is a great successor.
    Age 57. See my above post as the recap of what has happened during his reign. As I said above, I will continue with Skantarios leading the armies in his war of conquest and (now) retribution against the Turks and the Egyptians. I will write in some righteous anger from Skantarios about the murder of his father.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great update, as well as some quite unfortunate events. That should motivate Skantarios to finish off the Turks even faster. I'll be waiting for the next one. +rep

Default Consolidation of Power and Removing the Turks from Europe

From the Diaries of Emperor Skantarios.

January, 1476 AD

The planned offensive to take Brasov must be called off due to the death of my father. I have placed a strong garrison of cavalry at Bucharest and returned to the capital with a large honor guard of cavalry as well as my personal bodyguard.

My approach to the city is somber as I observe all the ravages that three successive sieges have wrought on the countryside. The farms are deserted and burnt, there is trash and refuse at the former Muslim camps, and the destroyed siege equipment still rings the city.

This all changes as I approach the walls of Constantinople. Although they bear the scars of recent battles, they are still as strong and stout as I remember. For over a thousand years they have stood impervious to all attempts to take the city (Fourth "Crusade" notwithstanding as they assaulted the sea walls). The new towers holding the cannon stand ominously as the steel barrels poke out of the turrets ready to spread death upon all enemies who approach.

As I pass through the Golden Gate, the splendor of the ancient city is revealed. I have not been here since I was a little boy when I accompanied my father here for his promotion to general some thirty years ago. Things that seemed so large then still seem so now. Constantinople is still the crown jewel of the Roman Empire and is easily the largest and most magnificent thing I have seen in all my travels.

My entrance into the capital is triumphant. I ride through the entrance in my finest armor with my bodyguard surrounding me in their polished armor and banners held high. The people hail my victories and welcome me as their new emperor. Even the Council of Nobles turns out for the occasion. I must admit that when I first heard the news of my father's assassination, I immediately suspected the Council. However, with the Egyptians openly boasting of their "success", I must hold the Council blameless.

As I approach the Hippodrome for the official welcome, I see my family waiting in their finest purple robes and vestments. It is wonderful to see my mother and Vasileios as we have been apart for over a decade. I embrace them in a mad dash and, for a moment, the noise of the crowd is reduced to nothing. We hold each other silently for some time. It seems I have ridden through a river of blood to be here for this meeting...

Mother has aged certainly but she is still a radiant example of womanhood and one of the most beautiful ladies in the empire. As for Vasileios, I can't believe how much he has grown! I left him a small toddler and he now stands before me a young man full of life. He is quiet but confident and speaks to me as a man should. I do notice a dark edge to him that I have regrettably seen too many times before in my own soldiers. The scars of war wear heavily on one so young.

After embracing them, I see behind them that my own wife, Maria, has come and with her our two daughters. I hold them as well and lift up little Theodosia in my arms as we celebrate the first time in our lives that all of us have been together as a family. It is truly a joyous occasion.

Our happiness soon turns much more somber as my family accompanies me to the Church of the Apostles to view my father's tomb. I offer up a prayer to his memory and curse both the Muslims and the slowness of my conquest of the Balkans. Had I not been so slow, perhaps I would have seen him again. Perhaps I could have prevented his death...

We spend that night in a magnificent feast at the palace where all the important nobles come to pay their respects. It drags on and on as one important noble after the other feels the need to personally congratulate me and pledge their loyalty. A tedious but necessary affair. I remember well the ruin that men such as these have visited on the empire in years past. Their fine platitudes do nothing to alleviate my skepticism over their true intentions. I jump at the first opportunity to put an end to the evening.

I install my family in the imperial quarters. Mother insists that I take up the quarters of the emperor. I try to defer but her will is just as strong as ever and she, of course, wins the argument. I do convince her to stay on in the palace and not take up residence in an abbey as she wishes. She argues that since all her children are grown and her husband dead, she has no more use here. I tell her that I plan on leaving Vasileios in charge of the city when I depart and that she must stay on to guide him and keep an eye on the Council. Without her strong hand to guide affairs in the city, I fear that the Council will soon subvert Vasileios to their will and not ours. To this, she agrees. She has always been a true servant of the empire and cannot refuse when her country needs her so badly. She will watch over Vasileios and the Council like the intelligent hawk she is.

The next morning, I am officially crowned as Emperor of the Romans in a glittering ceremony in the Hagia Sophia.

This ancient cathedral built by Justinian is almost a thousand years old and has lost virtually none of its luster. The ceremony is magnificent...and blessedly short.

With the acclaim and loyalty of the army, there was never any doubt that I would assume the throne. The Council may have preferred one of their own but they have lived too many years under the thumb of my father to go against the will he dictated and the iron I command.

I set things on a proper course in the capitol and order new levies for its defense as well as the construction of a new aqueduct to spur continued growth in the city. The aqueduct will be named after my father. My hope is that the Theodorosian Aqueduct will spur further growth in the city.

As the capital is the absolute key to all of our plans, no expense is spared in her defense. The walls are inspected and any battle damage is repaired (I marvel yet again at the strength of these walls which have stood for a thousand years old and are still the mightiest in the world). The archers and heavy infantry are brought up to full strength and another unit of Siphonores is recruited. We do suffer one setback in preparation for the defense when a contingent of heavy infantry and a Mangonel from Thessalonica slated for the capital were ambushed and virtually wiped out by a Turkish forces south of Adrianople (which then retreated into Anantolia). I would have preferred to have a Mangonel for the defense but that will have to wait.

I also order the recruitment of new spies and assassins to guard the capital. We cannot allow enemy spies and saboteurs ruin all of our careful preparations here. These new practitioners of the dark arts prove their worth when an assassination attempt against my own person is thwarted and the assassin killed. He got no further than the gates of the imperial residence before he was captured. Unfortunately, it is not the same assassin as the one who killed my father but his public execution does give my subjects a target to focus their anger.

Before I depart, I also order a general reorganization of the defenses in the empire. To the northwest, I will trust in our alliance with Hungary and therefore retain only small garrisons in our cities and fortresses there. This is a necessary cost saving measure and one that I hope does not come back to haunt me should the Hungarians turn against us. To the west, I order the garrison of Arta strengthened in order to deal with any incursion from Italy. Perhaps one day when the Empire is stronger, we can use this fortress as a jumping off point back into Italy.

I will lead the armies to the Northeast and assault Brasov, the last Turkish stronghold in Europe. I will also send diplomats to the Kievan Rus and see if we can patch up relations with them. I will need a strong and quiet northern border prior to moving against the Turks in Anatolia.

Constantinople must hold out a little longer until the north can be secured and we can turn our revitalized armies south and east and reestablish Roman rule over Anatolia. For the moment, the capital is calm and no new Turkish forces have crossed over the Bosphorus to attack us. Perhaps our recent successes have convinced them of the futility of assaulting these walls.

After spending just one year in the capital, I return to the north by a forced march and link up with my army west of Bucharest. They have spent the last months I have been away quelling any unrest in the city and training for the coming offensive. As winter gives way to an early thaw, we make our way north into the Carpathian Mountains.

April, 1478.

The march through the mountains was brutal but we encountered no resistance along the way. We have encountered several Hungarian armies, all commanded by captains. It appears they are the survivors of several failed attempts to take the citadel. I try to convince one of these captains to join our assault on Brasov but he will not commit his forces without sanction from his king. I cannot wait for this so I march on to the citadel and put it under siege. I have very little infantry in this force so I will have to rely on the courage of my soldiers as well as a little cunning when I assault the gates.

Two pieces of news reach me at this time that are of particular note. The first is that my secret service has finally located the foul assassin that killed my father. He is tracked down at a brothel just south of Adrianople (fine Muslim he was). My assassins killed him with a knife to the back as he entered his sleeping quarters.

The cur's head is sent to Constantinople and it now adorns the entrance to the Hippodrome. I would have preferred this heathen had received a far slower and more painful death. However, I find comfort in knowing that he is now burning in the fires of Hell. I hope his forty pieces of silver were worth it.

The other piece of news is both far more consequential and more troubling. A call for "Jihad" has been sounded. The target is Constantinople!

From my spies in Anatolia, I hear that multiple Turkish and Egyptian armies have taken up the call and are even now marching on the capital. My brother sends word that he is aware and all is done to prepare the city. We will now find out just how stout our walls and courage are in defense of the capital. As a precaution, Maria and the children are shuttled out of the city and take up residence with my adopted brother in Thessalonica.

May, 1479.

All is ready for the assault on the citadel. I would have greatly preferred to have much more infantry with me here but I cannot wait for them to march up from Greece. A prolonged siege is the last thing I want as there are too many other pressing matters. I will assault with the forces on hand.

The Battle of Brasov - 1479 AD.

From Battle Report filed by Emperor Skantarios - May 1479 AD.
    The garrison of the city is strong.

Particularly troubling to me is the large number of Janissary Heavy Infantry. Trying to charge cavalry through them is a recipe for slaughter (ours). It cannot be helped as I will not call off the assault now.

My own forces are more suited to an open field engagement.

My cavalry is fast but, for the most part, light and not suited for street fighting. The Magyars are fierce but won't stand up long against the pole arms of the Janissaries.

To counter this, I order my infantry to take their siege tower and ladders well away from the main gate. I hope the Turkish general will take the reasonable step of stationing his best infantry on the walls and keep them away from the gate where the actual assault will take place.

The assault begins in a driving rainstorm to counter the effects of the many archers my foe possesses. The first move is when my swordsmen push a ram to the front gate.

The citadel still bears the scars of previous engagements but the walls are, unfortunately, intact.

The rest of my infantry maintain their position to keep the attention of the Janissaries. Only if they depart the walls to assist at the gate will my men advance to take the walls.

The enemy shoot fire arrows in a hopeless attempt to set the siege tower alight.

As soon as the ram has breached the gate, I send in my cavalry. The fighting is fierce and many of my brave horsemen fall. My I must commit my own bodyguard before we are able to push through the guardians at the gate and move freely into the city. The Turkish general commits his own bodyguard to the fight and I slay him in single combat amid the swirling melee.

The slaughter is terrible and soon the ground is carpeted with bodies from both sides.

The enemy attempts to fall back to the inner keep but the Magyar cavalry showers them with arrows.

The enemy attempt to rally at an intersection in front of the battlements of the inner keep but they are assailed from all sides by the Magyars. These fierce horsemen now have their blood up and give no mercy.

The enemy realize it is hopeless but still they fight on. Formed up back to back, they fall under a hail of wood and iron. Their courage is plain but fruitless.

The battle is a success but my own casualties are appalling. I have lost a third of my Magyars and fully half of my light and heavy cavalry.

The Serbian mercenaries fared particularly badly and lost over 75% of their number. My infantry is, for all intents and purposes, wiped out. Such is the price of this "victory."

The citadel is sacked. I take particular pleasure in the tearing down of the mosque and laying down the foundations for the Orthodox chapel. My cavalry losses are so bad that I must send many of the companies back to Sofia for retraining and replenishment. The Magyars put on quite a show of bravery for ones so new to our cause. They will be welcome additions in the battles to come.

The news on the diplomatic front is particularly bad this year. We are now at war with the entire Muslim world.

The Mongols have thrown in their lot with Jihad. The following year, the Khwarezms also declare holy war.

At least things are simpler now. This has become not a war of nations but one of religion. Islam has made us their enemies and we must accept the challenge. Truly, the strength of our defenses will be tested in this onslaught of heathens.

We soon see the first of these "Jihad" armies as the Turks and Egyptians finally agree on something: taking Constantinople.

Already, they are burning the fields around our city and terrorizing the populace. The Hippodrome has become a camp for refugees and the amphitheaters have become temporary hospitals as we deal with the influx of people. Still, our food reserves are vast. If the Muslims think they can starve us out, they are sorely mistaken.

I stand now with a strategic choice. Should I rush back to the capital and defend it with the troops on hand, move against the Rus to the north and impose a peace, or make way for the attack on Anatolia and strike there while the armies of the Turk and Egyptian are distracted with their holy war?

I shall stay on through the winter at Brasov and consider my options. In the new year, I will be on the march.

I am Skantarios.
    Last edited by Skantarios; June 25, 2010 at 03:14 AM.

Some interesting things happening now in the game. Jihad has, at long last, been declared. I still have a troubled border to the north but there is opportunity and threats to the south.

In order to generate some interest at this point, I think I will leave it up to you, the reader, to determine the next course of action.
    1) As long as I am already in Brasov, should I make a quick attack north against the Rus and enforce a peace?
    2) Rush back to the capital and fight against the "holy" warriors?
    3) Make for the rich cities of Anatolia and attack them while the Turk and Egyptian are distracted; trusting in the defenses of Constantinople to turn back the invaders?

If anyone feels like they would like to give their opinion, I would be happy to hear it and move on accordingly.

I hope you are enjoying this tale so far. I appreciate any and all feedback I receive.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Skantarios; January 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Lunchbox's Avatar Foederatus

Rush back to the captial, It was because of losing Constantinople to the 4th crusade which tore the heart out of the empire in real life and nearly destroyed it in this alternative history. One bitten twice shy and Skantario's, just been crowned emperor defiantely wouldn't want to be the 2nd emperor to lose Constantinople espically after all the recent conquests

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

storywise I would say option 2, make Skantarios the divine savior of Constantinople
    for the overall campaign I would say option 3, you will need the extra cash that those rich cities give you and as an extra advantage you will push the Turks back, making the campaign far more easier and you have won the battle for Constantinople so many times now What's the difference between then and now?
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Personally I would go for option two, since there are so many enemy troops outside the capitol. It was hard enough for it to beat off single armies, but this would just be too much.

Great updates by the way.

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

I would go for option 3, you can win the battle for Constantinople without the reinforcements. The Turks and Egyptians will not work together (they are at war with eachother, right?) so one stack of Turks is doable. If you are in Anatolia you can always turn back to help Constantinople.

Option 3.

Again, this AAR is awesome! Loved the in memoriam.

Well, it seems like the advice is sort of evenly split between rushing back to Constantinople and beginning the Anatolian offensive. So, I think I will do a little of both.

The emperor's focus will be on the defeat of the jihad. However, where possible, I will launch limited offensives across the Bosphorus to take what Turkish territory I can.

Historical fact that may be of interest only to me. Emperor Heraclius faced a similiar threat when he went up against the Persians in the 600's. He split his army into roughly thirds. One part went back to defend the capital, one third went to destroy the Persian field army, and one third stayed with him as he attacked the Persian capital. Worked out well for him, don't know how it will work out for me.

Thanks to all who weighed in on the topic (lunchbox, Kallum von Döbeln, dezikeizer, Horatius Flaccus, and Beer Money). I will launch the offensive as planned and have some updates soon.

I started reading this only yesterday and I have to say it's a really great read and I like the idea that the Romans will survive and thrive
    Et Tu Brute?

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

I choose option 1. I want things to get more deadly and going up against the Rus will probably push you to your limits and make for an interesting read. Going back to Cnostantinople or assualting Anatolia will probably result in an easy victory. Great read as always btw
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Well Heraclius shows history is on your side I guess. Looking forward to the campaign.

Eregost - Nice pic of Miranda Lawson!

Default The March South and Domestic Concerns

March, 1480 AD

The news of the Muslim Jihad aimed at our capital hits the soldiers of the army like a thunderclap from heaven. Most of the men have family and friends trapped inside the city. While we were confident in the stout defenses of the capital, the memory of the Fourth Crusade is still seered into the memory of all Romans. There, the "holy soldiers" of Catholicism sacked Constantinople and virtually ripped the heart out of the empire. Will the holy soldiers of Islam do the same?

I resolve that I cannot let the capitol stand alone. I have confidence in our men and the Theodosian walls. However, Vasileios is young and he has never faced a threat like this. No one has. I order the infantry to remain in Brasov as I speed reinforcements here. I take the entirety of the cavalry and head south through the Carpathian mountains. The goat trails that link this citadel with the rest of the world will make this slow going and I have no hope of making it south before the winter sets in. However, we must start the journey immediately. Even now, a full army of the Turks lays siege with two more Egyptian armies waiting in the wings.

Further, we have received reports that the Mongols, the Khwarezm (Persians), and the Almoravids (Moors) are also sending armies. My only consolation as I consider this is that the kingdoms of Islam are just as disunited as the kingdoms of the west. None of them are openly allied and many of them are at war. I hope that their mutual animosity will work against them in the coming battles. If I and my brother can take them on one at a time, we may have a chance at defeating the coming Islamic tide.

September, 1480 AD.
    Location: South of the Carpathian Mountains on the Road to Bucharest

As my soldiers clear the southern boundary of the Carpathians, messengers catch up with our army with several pieces of news.

The first is that Maria has given birth to our third child...and it's another girl. Maria has named her Vasilia in honor of my brother. While I am very happy that Maria and the girl are healthy, I must admit that I am also in despair at the thought that we have failed, yet again to produce a male heir. Three girls. Is God punishing me for my many sins?

I realize that I am not a good man. My cloak and sword are stained with the blood of many; Turks, Venetians, civilians, and my own Romans. I have ordered things done that others would find irredeemable. The executions of prisoners, sacking of towns, assassinations, suicidal charges of my men...Also, I have not been the perfect husband or father. My many expeditions have kept me constantly away from home and I have succumbed to the temptations that absence and power bring. Still, I have stayed true to the cause of restoring our Empire and our church. Perhaps my means have not justified my ends in the eyes of God? Or, perhaps, I am just unlucky. Whatever the reason, I feel that if I am to have a male heir, I must take matters into my own hands as God's seem too fickle.

That same night, I call the young captain of my bodyguard into my tent. His name is Genessios Ksiros and he is 23 years old. He is the son of past nobility that long ago fell out of favor and became destitute and adrift. His father served in the bodyguard of my father before dying during the attack on Adrianople. His mother died of the plague last year and he has no other family. He is an orphan...like so many others in my army. Genessios is a strong soldier, a brave man, a popular officer, and a true servant of the empire. He has been in my service since he was 16 and has shared in all the battles of the past seven years.

When Genessios reports to my tent, I talk to him privately for several hours. We speak of many things: family, friends lost, battles fought, and our dreams of a better world. After several hours and more than a few cups of wine, I ask Genessios if he will consent to be my son. I have to repeat the question before he believes what I am saying. He accepts on the spot. The next day, I make the pronouncement in front of the assembled army to a chorus of cheers.

I now, at long last, have a son.

That he is not of my blood matters not anymore. He has proven himself in the fire of combat and I have no doubt that he will do it again. Could I ask any more from a son of my blood?

Further, since his position is entirely based on my favor, I know that he will be loyal. Loyalty in times like this is worth more than gold. To further solidify his position in the royal family, I name him Megas Domestikos. A loyal commander of our Army will ensure that the military remains true to me and my line.

Genessios' first mission as commander will be to make full speed for Adrianople and assume command of the garrison there. He will provide reinforcements to the capital's defense and prepare for the invasion of Anatolia. I send the proper letters of authority to ensure that he will be received as my son.

The second piece of news my messengers bring is that the Sicilians have landed in much greater strength outside Arta and have put it under siege!

This puts us at war with the Sicilians and virtually the entire Italian peninsula. I know the true mover behind the Sicilian aggression is the Pope (most likely bought and paid for by Venetian gold). Still, this new front is most unwelcome now that we are facing the combined might of Islam. Must we also face the combined might of Catholicism? Fortunately, the Hungarians remain faithful allies and our northern border remains secure. I pray that the good will that exists between us may last and that they will continue to turn a deaf ear to the poison of the Papacy.

Finally, I receive a dispatch from my sister Anna. She is traveling from northern Italy and has received a fresh rejection of a peace proposal posed to the Pope himself. If Anna cannot convince him, then no one can. It seems the current Pontiff has a deep seated hatred of our Empire and the Orthodox Church despite us never shedding a drop of their Italian blood. Perhaps we will have better luck with his successor? I consider, briefly, trying to speed things along in the Papal succession. However, an attack on the Pope himself (and the firestorm that would follow should we fail) is a distraction that we do not need. We will content ourselves for now with allowing them to continue scheming in the West as we continue our war in the East.

Anna does, however, send me a personal note along with the official dispatch. She has requested permission to marry. She is now 35 years old and though she is the toast of Europe and an extremely respected diplomat, she is not getting any younger. If she wishes to have a family of her own, we cannot delay it any longer. She has attempted several times in the past to forge an alliance (and a match) with several of the western kingdoms but always the ruler and heir were already married.

Anna, true to form, has her own ideas for a husband. She has selected the most powerful noble in the Hungarian court, Benedek Buzad. He is the Lord High Steward of Hungary, master of two cities, and considered the power behind the Hungarian throne. He is also known as a capable general and the powerful administrator. I send my spies to give me a more detailed report.

He is, indeed, a formidible personality and would make an excellent match. If he would consent to join our Empire, he would provide invaluable insight into the workings of our important ally and would give us a true picture of Hungary's intentions and capabilities. However, I have my doubts that one so known for his loyalty and already wielding such influence would, in effect, switch sides and become a Roman. Anna, however, remains confident and thinks there is a better than even chance she can sway him to our cause.

I give my consent to the marriage. As she has so often been before, Anna is successful and woos the general in a whirlwind romance. The marriage takes place in the fall with an Orthodox ceremony at the border fortress of Sofia. I take a quick detour from the army and give her away in a dazzling ceremony.

Anna makes me as proud as always. These two are the true definition of a "power couple." My only regret is that mother and the rest of the family cannot be here as they are fighting their own battle in the capitol.

Benedek will bear watching. A man of such power and influence can be both a boon and a curse. Still, if anyone can keep him true to our cause, it is Anna. I wish them well and shower them with what gifts I can. One cause of concern is how the King of Hungary will feel now that his "right hand" has deserted him for us. What anger he may feel at this must be tempered with the fact that all his secrets are now mine. Let this give him pause should he ever decide to betray the alliance.

My first order to Benedek is to take command of Brasov and prepare the area for possible attack from either the Kievan Rus or the Poles.

With these domestic concerns concluded, I can now turn to the business of war. I rejoin my army as they march east towards Bucharest and establish their winter quarters. In the coming spring, we will launch the defense of the capitol.

I am Skantarios.
    Last edited by Skantarios; June 06, 2010 at 11:56 PM.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The March South and Domestic Concerns

Just read your AAR so far.
    I must say that you are quite a talented writer.
    ...And a TW player.
    Looking forward to more of it as it comes.
    As for your current situation, Constantinople should hold.
    But damn those Italians. (I'm speaking generally about this too. )

Default Defense of the Capitol and the Rus

March, 1481 AD

As spring breaks in the army's camp, my soldiers make ready for the plunge south to the capitol. During our preparations, we begin to see many refugees clogging the roads moving west. As we interrogate these citizens, my scouts based in Bucharest bring me news that the Kievan Rus have begun their invasion in earnest. No fewer than three field armies have crossed the border from Iasi and are making for the city. There is simply no chance that the small garrison in place there can hope to hold out against such an onslaught and we have no soldiers outside of my own army to add to their defense. As I contemplate what to do next, riders come flying in from the capitol. The long anticipated Turkish assault on Constantinople has already happened!

Fourth Battle of Constantinople - 1481 AD.

From Battle Report filed by Diadohos Vasileios February, 1481 AD.

The Turkish Jihad army is clearly one of the finest collections of soldiers that the Muslims can field. They are veterans all and packed with Janissaries, archers, gunners, heavy cavalry and led by an experienced general.

They are also fired by the cause of holy war and clearly will stop at nothing to take the city. The one bit of good news is that the Egyptian generals refused to take part in an assault on the city and simply watch from a distance as the Turkish forces assault.

Our garrison is strong and prepared for this day.

They are still mostly new recruits but most have seen at least one previous battle. Further, we now count no fewer than three companies of Siphonores. Let the Turk feel our holy fire and see if it is a match for theirs. The soldiers realize this is my first battle in command but they also know that it is victory or death for them and their city.

The battle begins with the Turkish siege towers rumbling towards our walls while the battering ram makes for the gate.

Our forces have prepared the city well. Heavy infantry will meet the enemy on the walls, stakes and fire at the gates, and our heavy cavalry are stationed at the east and west gates to charge out and attack their rear when the opportunity presents itself.

As the enemy move forward, our archers concentrate on the Janissary Heavy Infantry to make the fight on the walls easier. Once the towers reach the walls, the archers switch their fire to the enemy horse archers. Despite the cannons firing continually from the moment the enemy are in range, both siege towers and the ram make their way successfully to the gate.

As dusk falls, the first of the enemy begin pouring out of the siege towers.

The walls leave little room for maneuver. Shield and sword clash as men fight with little room to either breathe or swing their swords. The walls soon become slick with blood and cluttered with bodies making the combat a test of anger and will more than skill and armor.

Although the Janissaries fight to the last man and kill at least one of ours for every one they lose, our superior numbers soon overwhelm them and the battlements are cleared.

As the battle for the walls concludes, the enemy ram opens the gates and the enemy begin to pour through.

Our Siphonores open up at point blank range into the flanks of the enemy as they move to clear the gate. Like a scene from Hell itself, the gate becomes choked with fire, smoke, and burning flesh. The screams of dying men join together into a constant wail of death.

The Siphonores fire again.

And again...

Though we lose some of our men to the enemies charge or the indiscriminate Greek Fire, the Turkish charge breaks when their general goes down. At last, the only ones standing from the enemy are Janissary gunners who think better of moving through the gate and instead fire from the entrance.

Still finding some Greek Fire left in their bottles, the Siphonores move to engage and show the gunners what the rest of their forces experienced.

At last, no enemy is still alive or has the courage to test the gate. The victory is ours and our faith in the capabilities of Greek fire is vindicated.

The majority of our casualties come from the fight on the walls and when our own infantry strayed too close to the gate. Still, the best Turkish army has been completely defeated and almost 1500 Turks have perished in a little more than an hour.

These men sought Paradise by fighting holy war. However, I believe that the fire that consumed them is closer to the real fate they will receive in the afterlife.

The news of the victory is very welcome news. However, the better piece of news is that the Egyptians, despite their close proximity, have not put the city under siege as of yet. This will provide us a respite where the garrison can replenish both their food as well as some of their losses. For the moment, the entrance to the city is open.

This delay in the Jihad has provided me the perfect window to deal with the Rus while not endangering the capitol. I halt our preparations for the move south and instead order our soldiers to head east against the Rus. I will attempt to expel these invaders and show them the price of invading our territory.

The march against the Rus is short as soon my army comes upon the first of the three invading forces.

First Battle of the Rus - April 1481 AD.

From Battle Report filed by Basileus Skantarios 1481 AD.

The Russian forces arrayed against us are clearly planning on taking Bucharest.

They are very strong in infantry and cavalry and are also dragging the largest cannon that I have ever seen (or heard about). This monster clearly is meant to batter down our walls. Against a field army, I think it is worse than useless.

My army is composed entirely of cavalry.

We are now mostly veterans. We are fast moving and strong in horse archers. We will see if the Russians have learned anything from dealing with the Mongols and the ways of fighting on the steppes.

The Hungarians have also committed a small force to the battle. Barely 100 men, they charge bravely at the Russian's rear. However, we are too far away to support at such an early stage in the battle. The Hungarians are brave but foolish and go down quickly.

My horse archers make use of the distraction given by the Hungarians and target the Rus general. He is slow to react and he goes down in a hail of arrows along with his entire bodyguard.

The rest of the battle is soon decided by my horse archers killing off the enemy cavalry and my Magyars killing the Russian infantry.

The zeal the Magyars show for killing the Russians is frightening. They even fire on the survivors as they flee the battle. If one of their own strays too close, they will even fire on him causing not an inconsiderable amount of friendly fire casualties. I consider stopping the carnage but realize that each enemy who falls is one less to fight against another day.

The horse archers carried the day. The few we lose were mostly due to carelessness by the light infantry when they strayed too close to the enemy spears or the arrow fire of their campatriots.

Apparently, the Russians have learned nothing about fighting on the plains against horse archers. So much the better...

The ransom is refused and I allow the Magyars to continue doing to the prisoners what they started on the battlefield.

Following the destruction of the first Russian army, I move quickly against the second before they have time to react and join their forces.

Second Battle of the Rus - May 1481 AD.

The Russian army is significantly smaller than the first and is composed of only a small amount of cavalry with many spears and some sword infantry. Clearly lacking in this army is any kind of archers. I will exploit this weakness and unleash the horse archers again.

My Cavalarii fly to the flanks and take up a perfect firing position. They target the enemy's cavalry.

Their light horse go down in droves. They do not even attempt to move against us. Their courage is commendable but their common sense is suicidal.

Their infantry plod on at a run but they are still too slow to deal with my light horse. If they believed they had cleared the firestorm of the Cavalarii when they ran out of arrows, the Magyars show them their error as they are waiting for them and form a kill sack that the enemy blunder right into.

The Magyars pour fire into the infantry killing many.

Their general is soon numbered among the dead.

The infantry, now leaderless, blunder about in a futile attempt to bring their spears to bear against our horse.

It is a hopeless proposition. Our horse fire at close range and then dance away.

Our Magyars circle the enemy like vultures around their dying prey. Their fire is relentless and deadly.

The slaughter is complete.

Again, the ransom is refused and the prisoners are executed.

Two armies destroyed in a little more than a month, I turn my attention to the third Rus army.

Third Battle of the Rus -June 1481 AD.

This enemy is a formidible one with two nobles in command.

My army is still strong even after fighting two large battles in two months.

The battle plays out much as the ones before. My horse archers do suffer some casualties to their archers and javelinmen but they are few and the enemy suffers from a lack of range. After a couple of light cavalry charges into their archers removes that threat, the rest are easy pickings for my Magyars.

Truly, their skill is fearsome to behold.

I bother to send a request for ransom but, again, it is refused. Apparently, the Rus are either too broke or too pig headed to care about the lives of their men. My men are getting very proficient (and very comfortable) with executions.

Three battles in a little more than three months and a long march has taken a toll on the army. However, I have one more thing I want to accomplish before the year is out. The small castle of Iasi lies within a short march to the north. My spies report that there is a small force just ouside the castle. If I can lure them into combat, perhaps the Crown Prince will come out to support. If I come in full force, then they will surely flee inside the castle. Therefore, I decide to split my force in two and lead the smaller part north.

Whether due to my supposed weakness or their own anger and pride at seeing there entire southern front collapse, the enemy take the bait and the Crown Prince comes out with the garrison to support.

Battle of Iasi - September 1481 AD.

The terrain is clearly in our favor. The small enemy force is camped on a hillside and has no archer support. My Magyars charge immediately downhill and engage.

The horse archers take up good firing positions and the enemy start to melt like butter.

They fall amongst the tall grass in a hail of arrows. Soon, the small force is completely wiped out.

The Crown Prince must be in ignorant of his comrades fate as he boldly leads his small force up the hill to support what is now a hopeless cause. My Cavalarii take up position to give him a taste of steel for his troubles.

The enemy have no way of responding but plod on regardless. Clearly, the expression "discretion is the better part of valor" has never been heard in the court of Kiev.

The Crown Prince is soon isolated and his bodyguard is cut down to a man.

He soon joins them in death.

The survivors actually make it to the top of the hill to come to grips with my heavy horse.

However, the first charge of my cavalry shows them the error of their ways and they break and run. It is a rout.

None escape and none are ransomed.

With their southern front in shambles and the garrison slaughtered in the hills, the castle of Iasi is open to us. We occupy it and take a well-earned rest inside its cramped quarters. The remainder of my army soon joins us and we establish our winter camp. I give little thought to the two small Rus "armies" in the Iasi region. By now, word has spread about what has happened and I have no doubt they will make for the north at full speed. The province is ours.

I order the bulk of the garrison of Bucharest north to become the holding force here as our next mission is south to Constantinople. Reports come in that the Egyptians have finally roused themselves and are now laying siege.

With the northern front secure and the Kievan Rus chastised for their folly in invading our lands, I can now turn my attention south. Our next battle will be with the forces of the Jihad!

I am Skantarios.
    Last edited by Skantarios; January 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM.