Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - **Complete**

Default War for Northern Italy Continues, Assault on Innsbruck, War Against Persia Continues

From the Diaries of Emperor Skantarios

March, 1538 AD.

The weather is brutal in these northern climates. We passed the winter in a freezing camp clinging to the slopes south of Innsbruck. I curse the Genoese, yet again, for bringing me and the Army here. While I am at it, I curse the citizens of the fortress for not peaceably coming over to us; I curse the weather, I curse the French, I curse the Pope...I curse everything. It seems I am in a perpetually foul mood all the time.

The situation at Innsbruck is a political mess.

There are still a large number of "independent" troops (re: former Genoese) in the area as well as no less than two French armies. Fortunately, Kalamodios has joined me and I have additional forces that marched north from Italy in the fall.

I need to resolve the situation quickly as I have reports that both the French and the Spanish have penetrated into Northern Italy around Milan.

The Spanish army, I believe, is the same force that was spotted some time ago near Venice. They are the "orphans" left in Central Europe following our seizure of Vienna a few years back. They haven't made any move to attack one of our cities but how long will that last?

The French, on the other hand, are surely in the midst of another attack into our territory. I had hoped that killing their king would have delivered a powerful lesson and dissuaded them from further attacks but I may have underestimated their Gallic stubbornness. It seems I must instruct them one more time.

The Spanish have reacted quickly to our invasion and seizure of North Africa. They have already moved in two powerful armies into the area and are camped just outside Al-Mahdiya.

I have significant reinforcements heading for the area but they will not make it before the Spanish lay siege to either Al-Mahdiya or Tunis. Isidoros clearly underestimated the strength the Spanish could muster. Our garrisons may pay the price for that oversight.

Of course, Isidoros won't. He has set sail for Sardinia and is preparing to take the last Norman city in the Mediterranean, Cagliari.

I have sent a message to him by fast courier ship to hold off on the attack until our diplomats arrive. If they can convince the Normans to submit and become our vassals, then we shall spare them. After all, we can be merciful when the situation allows it. If they don't submit, well, then I am fine with the alternative.

The last report I received over the winter comes all the way from deep into Persian territory. Genessios has left Ray after putting down a significant uprising in the city and has made his way to the ancient fortress of Damghan.

Much to his surprise, it is now held by the Mongols! They have a sizeable garrison but the seizure of this stronghold is necessary to link up with Vitos. He plans to attack this year no matter what the odds.

Speaking of odds, they are still stacked against me in Italy although the arrival of Kalamodios has nudged the scales in the right direction. Even with those additional men, we are still far from even. The only thing that has saved me up to this point is the lack of cooperation between the Spanish and French (or the French and the French, for that matter). If they would combine their forces, we would be in some real trouble.

But, first things first. I must first secure Innsbruck and the eastern approaches into Italy. To do that, we must show the rebels that there is no such thing as "independence" and "neutrality" in the world today. Although Kalamodios is here, I take charge of the assault personally. There can be no mistakes; there is not enough time. When I am confident all is in readiness, I order the attack!

Assault on Innsbruck - April, 1538 AD.

Spoiler for Assault on Innsbruck

From Battle Report Filed by Emperor Skantarios to Imperial Archives - 1538 AD.

The independent soldiers of Innsbruck include many of the feared Swiss Pikemen.

These former mercenaries field four full companies. They are well armored, disciplined, and deadly. Of all the rebels I have cut down in my time, these are the best I have faced. There are two companies of militia crossbows but they are of little consequence.

The assaulting army is a mixture of soldiers from Kalamodios's men and some reinforcements brought up from Italy.

We are heavy in mercenaries but they will be made to earn their pay wearing down the pikemen. Of our mercenary troops, we have two companies of Landsknecht Pikemen (the eternal enemies of the Swiss), two "Free Companies", two of German Knights, one company of Roman Scutarii spearmen, and one of Swiss Pike mercenaries (note: I am leery of the dubious loyalty of using the Swiss against their brothers and so hold them back from the fight). For missile troops, we have two companies of javelins, two of archers, and one of the Siphonatores. For artillery, we have two units of Mangonels and two of Monster Ribaults. If the Swiss attempt to form a pike line, my artillery will wipe them out.

The men have not had much time to construct siege equipment.

We will have to make do with this as we possess no cannon or other artillery.

Given the limited siege equipment, I must attack the walls in only one spot with some mercenary Germans while my Muslim archers push the ram to the gates.

At first, the battle goes well as my Germans only meet some of the militia crossbows.

The Germans cut through them easily and we seem on the verge of taking the walls with only minor casualties.

However, soon some of the Swiss Pikemen mount the walls and the real fight begins. Their long spears prevent my Germans from closing for battle and they take horrible casualties in order to break the line of pikes.

We do have some success by sending in one of the Free Companies in their flank after the Swiss push past the line of the ladders.

We have almost won this fight when another company of pikemen mount the walls on the other side and begin pushing our men back yet again.

The fighting is brutal and neither side gives an inch. I am surprised by how well the pikes manage the fight on the walls. It was grueling work to clear them out and my mercenaries lost more men than they killed.

We finally prevailed through sheer numbers. The carnage on the walls told the tale of how many were lost on either side.

Having no wish to repeat the slaughter at the gates, I order the Mangonels to close on the walls and attempt to hit the one company of pikes guarding the gate.

We score a few hits and a lot of near misses but every flaming pikeman is one less we will have to slay in close combat.

We are finally able to sneak our arbalests around from the walls and they bring the pikes under fire.

This is the final "encouragement" the Swiss commander needs and he orders a retreat to the inner fortifications.

His retreat does little good as I now feel confident enough to send in the Siphonatores. They finish the rest.

Even Swiss discipline and armor are no match for Greek Fire!

The fight was difficult, especially on the walls, but we still get the job done and with acceptable casualties.

Fortunately, every one of the men we lost was a mercenary - so, no great loss.

I do not need the money from a sack of the fortress and I have great need of Innsbruck to be a productive trainer of new troops. Therefore, I only order the great citadel to be occupied and install Kalamodios as governor.

I consider taking on the independent armies and the French to the north in order to clear the territory of foreigners but I am called south to deal with the real threat in northern Italy. The Spanish and the French there need to be dealt with at once. Therefore, I rejoin the Imperial Army and lead them south out of the Alps and back into the North Italian Plain. Getting out of the mountains after a terrible summer is a welcome relief to both me and the men. We are all happy to be rid of that cold, mountainous country. It is good for producing excellent soldiers but not much else. Perhaps that is why mercenaries from that area fight so hard; they don't wish to be sent home.

The march through the warm plains as we travel west revitalizes us all and we make excellent speed throughout the march. When we come upon the Spanish, we are back in fighting trim.

Third Battle of Milan - July, 1538 AD.

Spoiler for Third Battle of Milan

This Spanish army has come a long way without either a general or a place to rest. They have lived off the land for years now as they attempted to make their way back to the Spanish lines. They are a seasoned bunch and all veterans of many battles.

They are packed with mercenaries, mostly German, and there are only a few native Spanish troops in the ranks. They have three of the Free Companies, two of German Foot Knights, two of Zweihanders, one of Landsknecht Pikemen, one of pike militia, some sword militia, and one of dismounted Men-At-Arms. For ranged troops, they have one company each of handgunners, arbalests, arquebusiers, pavise crossbowmen, and crossbow militia. They are sadly lacking in cavalry with only one reduced company of mercenary German Knights and one of Feudal Knights. They also have one unit of ribaults; I will need to keep the elephants clear of those contraptions. One odd thing of note is that the Spanish commander has chosen to station himself with the weakest unit on the field - the crossbow militia. This may be something that I can exploit.

The Imperial Army is starting to show the wear of such continuous warfare.

Most notably, I am now down to two companies of Scholarii as I have had to parse out the other companies to replace our losses (the others being sent back to Constantinople for retraining and replenishment). To make up for their absence, I have two veteran companies of Pronarii and one each of Archontopoulai, Stratiotae, Serbs, and Germans. I now have three companies of Magyar horse archers to compliment my seven companies of Cavalarii.

The day of the battle dawns bright and clear. My rapid advance has caught them in a bad position and they are forced to deploy in a shallow valley.

They have their cavalry securing the wings but their infantry will be at a disadvantage clawing up the slopes to meet my men.

We, on the other hand, deploy on good terrain with a dominant view over the Spanish.

As is normal in my battles, I send the Cavalarii out on the flanks to try and pick off the enemy's cavalry.

Despite our large numbers of horse archers, we can make only a little impression against their strong armor. We kill some but not enough.

Our first piece of luck of the day comes when our Cavalarii take down the Spanish captain.

It is truly luck since my men were not even aiming at his company. He does not live to regret his poor choice of a bodyguard.
    Spoiler for Captain Bernardo Killed
    I send in my cavalry when I can in order to slay their archers and heavy infantry.

Keeping clear of their pikes and spears is difficult but our men are very experienced at this type of battle.

The enemy gunners are also susceptible to the power charge of our men and I send in the Pronarii to deliver some punishment.

These Spanish mercenaries may be experienced, but they are not used to the rapid charges and counter-charges we unleash on them.

Several companies break under the crush of our horsemen.

Even the enemy's noble horsemen break after getting engaged by my veterans.

The elephants weigh in with their gunners when the infantry start to advance against us.

The infantry that draw up too close are met by a devastating charge from the Scholarii.

With the missiles and infantry cleared out, my Magyars are given the order to move in and add their own arrows to our assault.

Their primary targets are the enemy's pikes and they work them over relentlessly.

The pikes soon see the futility of their advance and they break as a group.

All that is left is the clean up. We take some casualties amongst our mercenary horse but the losses are relatively minor in comparison to the scale of our victory.

We take many prisoners and I offer them up to the Spanish for ransom.
    Spoiler for Prisoners

The Spanish don't seem to care about the fate of their lost mercenaries and refuse.

Those mercenaries all pay the ultimate price for their misplaced loyalty to the Spanish throne.

We have little time to rest from this battle as there is still the French army to the west of Milan. My advance scouts indicate the French general has left his army and is conducting a little scouting with only his bodyguard for security. I decide to seize on his overconfidence and we launch an immediate attack!

Fourth Battle of Milan - July, 1538 AD.

Spoiler for Fourth Battle of Milan

My scouts were correct, the young French general was, indeed separated from his army.

Such a foolish mistake can be explained by Charles's age. He is only a young whelp of 18.

He was known as a fair man but had no experience in battle.

His leaderless French army was impressive in size but not so much in composition.

They had seven companies of the unreliable Voulgiers (five professional companies and two of militia). In addition, the fielded a diverse set of infantry with dismounted knights, militia spearmen, and even some nobles. For missile troops, they had two companies each of arbalests and archers. For cavarly, they had two companies each of Men-At-Arms and Feudal Knights.

The Imperial army was showing a little wear from our last battle.

I sent the Archontopoulai on the long journey back to Constantinople to be reconstituted and "borrowed" once company of mercenary armored Swiss pikemen from the garrison of Milan. Given all the enemy pole arms, I thought it prudent to have some pikes of my own should the battle come down to that.

Young Charles was caught far away from his men and alone.

I knew that as soon as I formed up against him, the rest of his army would come running.

I was right. They broke camp and formed up into ranks immediately.

The enemy missile troops did the predictable thing and rushed forward ahead of their infantry to begin a ranged duel.

I had no wish to start the battle off and lose my horse archers and therefore sent my light and heavy horse rushing against them.

The French cavalry immediately responded to the rush of my horse and my Pronarii met them in full charge.

Their combat played out like a large scale jousting match - noble versus noble. We had the numbers and better training and soon put down the French Knights.

When I was sure that the rest of Charles's army would march to his aid, I sent the Magyars around to finish off the young man.

They made short work of Charles's bodyguard.

Then they made short work of Charles.

Spoiler for Charles Killed

Since my cavalry had gotten sidetracked disposing of the French knights, I led my bodyguard and Scholarii down to finish the archers myself.

In such a completely uneven contest, the French did what they are good at - run.

The French Men-At-Arms met my bodyguard as soon as we swept through the archers. This was a much better fight and they fought well...

...but only for a moment.

The French captain led his "brave" knights away in a full retreat. I sent the fleet Magyars after them to see them off the battlefield.

The French captain was not quite fast enough to outrun my horse archers and he was brought down by a series of arrows fired by the Magyars at full gallop.

The French were not done quite yet. The mass of Voulgiers kept advancing even after their leadership had fled. There, they were met by the arrows of my horse archers and the guns from the elephant riders.

My men kept up the barrage and continued on until the enemy were within only a few paces of them.

Their courage nearly held out to meet our men in melee. Nearly, but not quite.

Apparently, the idea of fighting my elephants proved too much and they broke.

My horsemen had a little sport shooting them in the back or cutting them down with their sabers.

I decided to offer the 400+ prisoners up for a ransom just to test the state of the French treasury and honor.
    Spoiler for Prisoners

It was as I remembered.

The French turned out to be just as indifferent to the fate of their soldiers as their Spanish allies.

Once again, I have cleared Northern Italy of invaders. I am beginning to feel like great Republican-era General Marius facing down the hordes of barbarians year after year. Unfortunately, my invaders don't seem to be slowing down at all.

I send several companies of the army back east for retraining at either Ancona or ever farther afield to Ragusa. For the rest, I take them to Milan for a little well-earned rest and recuperation. From this vantage, we can meet any future invaders coming through the Alps or from along the coast around Genoa.

While my boys are resting, I can turn my attention to the greater wars in the Empire. While I have been fighting here, my generals in the east have been pressing their attacks. The first report comes from my son Genessios. He has assaulted Damghan!

Battle of Damghan - August, 1538 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Damghan

From Battle Report Filed by Genessios Ksiros Laskaris - 1538 AD.

Father, I write to you of the terrible assault on the Mongol fortress of Damghan. I approached this battle with some trepidation. The Mongols are very strong here and I had to dodge several of their smaller armies during my approach in order to conserve my strength for the assault. The reports of our scouts and spies indicated that the fortress was very strongly held.

The Mongols had packed no less than five companies of their heavy horse archers into the stronghold. Backing them up, they had one company of their heavy lancers and one company of their "Khan's Guard" heavy cavalry. They also had four companies of foot archers, some mercenary axemen, two reduced companies of mercenary horse archers (as though they had need of such lesser quality horse archers) and some Alan light cavalry.

They were led by a relatively young Mongol general named Genke.

Usually, the Mongols were led by experienced men who were elders of their various tribes. For this man to have risen so quickly into their ranks indicated either his exceptional ability or the Mongols lack of noblemen.

My army had seen many battles but we were barely equal to them in terms of numbers.

I was coming into this battle relatively "light" with more horse archers than assault troops - eight companies of Turks and only one company of Cavalarii. I also had my heavy Armenians and two companies of light Stratiotae cavalry. Where I was sorely lacking was in spearmen with only three companies of Scutarii and one of swordsmen.

I waited some time before I found the right conditions for the attack. To minimize the casualties from the Mongol bows, I attacked in a heavy rainstorm. We also attacked just before dawn in order to surprise the garrison. We had to move quickly lest the other Mongol army camped just to the east respond in time and make us fight a three-sided engagement.

My men made their way to the fortress in good time and we launched the assault as planned. The first indication the Mongols had of our advance was the sound of the cannons being fired!

Our Grand Bombards made short work of the outer walls and soon a large enough breach was made.

I decided to have them make another breach in the walls so that we would not be bottlenecked into only one avenue of attack. The downside to this was that by the time the second breach was made, the garrison had mustered and were ready for our attack.

I sent our spearmen in first given the large number of horsemen we would face. The first shots in anger fired against us came from the Mongol foot archers as they sent hundreds of flaming arrows against our heavy infantry.

The rain worked in our favor and we only took light casualties before we poured into the breaches.

The Mongols met us there with their heavy horse and we started to back up. Even with their horsemen blocking the breaches, the Mongol foot and horse archers kept up a continuous assault - hitting many of their own men in the back.

It was bitter fighting and our men continually pressed against the armored horse of our foes. Even the young Mongol general threw the weight of his own bodyguard against us.

Our infantry fought very well but the numbers were very much against us. I committed the Turkish horse archers to the fight and had them lend their own weight both to the assault and to pour their own arrow fire over the heads of our men and into the swelling ranks of the Mongols.

Even the combined assaults of our infantry and our horse archers was not enough. In desperation, I ordered the cannons to fire into the breaches knowing they would hit more of the enemy than our own men.

When the infantry looked like they were about to break, I ordered in both the Stratiotae and our Armenians into the breach. I led that attack myself. We met the Mongol general and the remainder of his cavalry and horse archers in another prolonged fight. At the height of the fighting, one of the Armenians came to grips with Genke and brought him down!

Spoiler for Death of Genke
    The death of their general seemed to finally turn the tide and what few of the enemy were left broke and ran.

I don't believe I have ever seen such carnage in one place as I did in the breaches of Damghan. The scale of the slaughter was immense.

Horses and men were mixed in a macabre scene of death with bodies piled three and four high.

I give credit to the Mongols. They did not cower inside the inner fortifications but fought to the bitter end at the walls. Once we had control of them, the fight was over.

Over 200 of my men that were wounded in the battle are now recovering from their wounds. Fortunately, the rain reduced the punch of the Mongol bows and so they were just wounded and not killed. Still, I have lost almost all of my infantry and a great many of my Turkish horse. I will have to remain here until I can make good my losses as I have lost all my offensive manpower.

I have additional troops heading down from Armenia and from what we have been able to recruit locally to the immediate west. With luck, they should be here when spring arrives.

The fighting was terrible and our losses extreme but we have won the fortress and now have a tenuous link to Vitos to the north.

- Genessios.

The report of this battle was troubling. Outside of the terrible losses Genessios reports, the skill and courage of the Mongols causes me great concern. They will clearly not be the pushovers that the Persians were/are.

Speaking of the Persians, the couriers have also brought me the report from Ioannis from this year. He has continued his march east and has laid siege to the Persian city of Yazd. He has only brought a small force with him and his reduced numbers have encouraged the Persians to send a relief force to lift the siege!

Battle of Yazd - September, 1538 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Yazd

From Battle Report Filed by Ioannis Aprinos to Emperor Skantarios - 1538 AD.

The Persian relief army fielded some of the best soldiers the Persians had to offer.

They had two companies of Ghulam heavy cavalry and one of the mounted Royal Guard. For foot soldiers, they had one company each of heavy spearmen, Saracen militia, halberd militia, and (most importantly) the dismounted Royal Guard.

I wondered what could have brought such an impressive force to come against us. However, the answer came from who was inside the city. The garrison was commanded by none other than the Persian Shah.

The Shah had at his command one company each of Saracen militia, halberds, spear militia, Royal Guard, heavy archers, Khwarezm noblemen, and Saracen archers. An eclectic force but an effective one.

The young Shah went by the Cemil.

He was so young to be a ruler but our campaigns have cut a wide and extensive swathe through the Persian nobility that it is no wonder they are now searching high and low for one of noble birth to take the reins of power.

My army was vastly outnumbered but we were all veterans and ready for the challenge.

I had five companies of Turkish horse archers and one of Cavalarii. For cavalry, I had two companies of Stratiotae, two of Pronarii, and one of mercenary Armenians. All of my companies had been reduced from previous battles and not a single one was up to full strength.

When I saw the approaching army come at our siege lines, I withdrew our men away from the city to some favorable terrain. The relief army wasted no time closing the distance.

The garrison began their own march against us at about the same time.

My only advantage was my horse archers and I intended to use them to the fullest extent. While I withdrew away from the advancing enemy with my heavy cavalry, my Turks swept forward and started to fire on the relief army.

The enveloped the Persians in a wide arc and fired into their flanks and rear with admirable accuracy.

We were able to bring down the commander of the relief army in the first few minutes of battle.

Spoiler for Captain Kemal Killed

The Turks kept up their fire concentrating on the enemy cavalry. The Ghulams, in particular, proved susceptible to this concentrated barrage.

From my vantage point, I could look on with great satisfaction as those mounted warriors melted under the onslaught of arrows.

The foot archers from the garrison saw the distress the relief army was under and rushed forward to bring the Turks under fire. My Stratiotae were waiting for this development and spurred forward in a devastating charge.

The young Shah showed how little experience in battle he had when he tried to support his archers. However, instead of riding valiantly into close combat, he was felled by a hail of arrows from the Cavalarii and two companies of Turks.

Spoiler for Shah Cemil Killed
    His brief reign as ruler of the Persians came to a very untimely end.

The Khwarezm "nobles" proved they were nothing of the sort when they broke and ran under the onslaught of our own noble Pronarii.

The dismounted Royal Guard proved the greatest challenge. They kept moving doggedly forward even under the constant barrage of arrows.

For all their courage, their axes were worthless as they could not come to blows with my nimble cavalry.

Soon, even they realized that their cause was lost and they broke and ran.

My Turks had great sport riding them down or shooting them in the back as they tried to flee.

Our victory was total.

The significant number of prisoners were offered up for ransom to the mayor of the city.
    Spoiler for Prisoners
    To my great shock, he refused to pay.

Since I now had to execute all the prisoners, the city was without a garrison. Therefore, we moved in and sacked the city. Given the amount of gold we found, the myopic mayor could have paid. That he did not cannot now be explained as he was one of the first killed in the sack.

My men are hailing this as a great (or even heroic) victory. I have squelched talk of this nature. They were only Persians, after all.

- Ioannis.

Ioannis has clearly recovered his swagger after his defeat only two years ago. He is once more Ioannis "the Invincible." His daring will one day get him into trouble but it is not this year. For now, he has killed the Persian ruler and taken yet another city from that dying Empire.
    Spoiler for Shah is Dead
    The wars in the East seem never-ending. We have conquered further than any Roman before. In fact, we have almost equaled Alexander in our subjugation of the east. I doubt I will live to see the day when we have fully exterminated all the Muslim nations but at least I can take comfort in that we have surely set them back several hundred years and set the stage for the exit of that heresy from the world. That is a legacy that I can be proud of.

Even with all the battles fought this year, our wars are even larger. In the north, Vasileios has given Benedek orders to lead the garrison of Kiev out against the Rus at Pereslav.

I am taken aback by Benedek being in the field again. I had given orders for his comfortable retirement but Vasileios assures me that Benedek volunteered for the mission. Now that Anna is dead and his children are grown, he has nothing left tying him to the city. I see Benedek fought the same battles I did in retirement - and lost them. He is a warrior once again. One last campaign for my old warhorse. I just hope he is up to it.

Benedek is old but then so am I. My wars in Italy have been frenetic and I have not seen a season in years when I did not fight multiple battles against much more numerous opponents. The Imperial Army and I have beaten the odds again and again. Can they keep up this pace? Can I?

I must face the fact that I am not as young as I used to be. If I cannot settle this war soon, I may not have the time to do it in the future. But, I will make the time for at least one more thing. The Pope has sat long enough in Pisa being starved out by my besieging army. He has rebuffed all our efforts to settle this diplomatically (and call off his French and Spanish dogs). Now that Northern Italy is clear for the moment, I will go there and settle that particular conflict once and for all - one way or the other.

I travel south to Pisa.

- I am Skantarios.

The world as we know it - 1538 AD.

The world as it really is - 1538 AD.
    Last edited by Skantarios; December 08, 2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated as of 5/5

Yeah, we're obviously not spamming enough.
    Sigh... not much left to go.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated as of 5/5

Great as always, and an especially good point there at the end about the large numbers of foreigners serving in your army. That could definitely lead to problems for Skantarios' successors. It seems that the Europeans are starting to truly take the war seriously, I wonder if a raid into some of their homelands will end up being necessary if they keep fighting this well. Voted for you by the way.+rep when I can.
    Last edited by dezikeizer; May 08, 2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated as of 5/9

Post #641 has now been edited to a full update bringing us through 1538. Please scroll on up and take a look.

I will edit this post and reply to the comments tomorrow once I have gotten a little rest.

As always, thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Skantarios; May 09, 2010 at 07:36 AM.

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated as of 5/9

Great as always
    cannot wait for the final showdown at Pisa... Hope that peace will finally be restored... supremacy will belong to the Roman Empire again and Skantarios will be remembered as the Peace-Maker forever

Congratulations on winning the MAARC Skantarios also a great update. I see that Skantarios' name has changed for the "killer" to the "brave"
    Et Tu Brute?

Indefinitely Banned

Whoa
    looking at that map, SKantarios the Conqueror has surpassed alexander for sure; the Emperor has been form one end of his empire to the other, from extermianting the turks to (now) exterminating the pope
    awesome stuff

plus i was impressed by your generalship in winning 2 heroic victories, you seem like a very apt harse archer player, tending to go for a decapitation strike eh good going

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Nice update.
    Congratulations on winning the MAARC, and by such a large margin.

Another great update. I can finally see things coming full circle for Skantarios with his march on Pisa. Plus all the other unfinished theaters of war make for great content for your Legacy AAR in the future.

Btw, congratulations on your victory in the MAARC! There was lots of stiff competition in there, and you swept them all away!

Laetus

You know after Benedek finishes off the Kievan Rus he could head east and take out the Cuman Khanate in a swift campagin. I'm sure they don't have a lot of soldiers for sure. And I got a question, why don't you just make a new army with a general(with high loyalty) and have him help out with Skantarious?

Once again a great update! when you told Skantarios was going to settle his dispute with the pope, it made me think of Attila the Hun's encounter with Leo I, bishop of Rome, who allegedly convinced him to turn away from the city. Can't wait to see if the meeting will work out in the same way or not!
    80% of the people on forums have things in their signature they ask you to copy. If you're sick and tired of this, copy this in your sig
    Fun things to do in Total war:
    1. Trample peasants to death with elephants (optionally with culverins)
    2. Burn peasants with greek fire
    3. Bombard peasants with mangonels
    4. Burn peasants with fire-arrows

Yes, I like my peasants...
    Fried!!!

Registered to say "Thanks" for this great AAR. Great penmanship, and great victories.

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

Alas, i feel the end is near, this great AAR is quickly coming to an end, it is only fitting that Skantarios finish off the pope and take over holy italia for the great roman empire. I am sadden as I am starting to feel the end is near. I am although very happy to hear that Benedek, my all time favorite "northmen" is back in business, he is as efficient in battle as Skantarios and I have little doubt he will succeed in his campaign.

I will be watching this AAR till the end, all hail to the emperor as the twilight of his life approach like a thundering warhorse charges through enemy ranks.
    My work in progress AAR, come and have look.

L'État c'est moi, The Monarchy of France
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

Critic Quills review about my AAR.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365219

Tim1988's Avatar Vicarius

After your landslide victory in the latest MAARC, I figured that this AAR must be worth reading. I am pleased to say that I haven't been disappointed. I've still got a long way to go before I've read it all, but what I have read so far has been superb. You have a great writing style. +rep
    My Old AARs:
    Uniting a Kingdom - A M2TW:Kingdoms Britannia Campaign
    The Greatest Battles of General Sir Lionel Townshend - A DarthMod Empire Campaign
    Tales of an Old Soldier - A series of DMUC Battles
    My Image Gallery:

Superb as always. I've just renamed a city in my campaign (inspired by this AAR, and I love it, so challenging) Skantariopolis. It's that town on georgian coast, I'll try to get a screenshot.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

First off, thank you, thank you to all who took the time and voted in the MAARC! It was great to win and really satisfying that so many are reading and enjoying this AAR. I was surprised by the margin but happily so. It makes a great "cap" to the AAR from the community.

I am hard at work on the last two updates. There will be a separation of the two with the first being up either tomorrow or Wednesday and the finale up on Saturday or early Sunday. I want to take a little time on these last two but don't want to drag this out either. I am still waiting on a couple things for the last update so that may entail a delay but I am confident with the schedule for now.

I have the second to last essentially written but still have some proof-reading to do and some other minor items to get done. Again, should be up tomorrow night or Wednesday.

I haven't responded to questions in the past couple of days, so please bear with me as I catch up.

For the first reader post, I want to feature the one by Argeus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Argeus the Paladin View Post
    I know I already PM'd you with my thanks but I want to say it publicly, thank you!! What an excellent idea. I really, really appreciate the time and effort you put into this. I have read every line at least twice. I didn't even know there was a Trope site (or what a Trope was for that matter) but now I am spending too much time there linking back and forth on different terms.

For those reading this, if you haven't visited the page, you should give it a try. The entry on this AAR is great but the rest of the site is really fun, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrider View Post
    Epic update, it's just me or suddenly the AI started to fight better?O.o.
    I don't know about that. However, the western armies are starting to get a lot better troops and the Romans/Byzantines are pretty much sitting still as far as development. So, we will have a harder time against them as they progress and we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
    Great Update, the north african campaign is a risky one that may be extremely harsh as your forces in the area was surprised, I am sure Spain will come at you in full force, I just hope you can hold your holdings. Your victory against the french king was a great moment. As for the Rus...lol, if they dare face Benedek, which I believe is second to Skantarios in battle experience, they will be in for quite a surprise. Keep up the good work
    Thanks. The biggest challenge going forward will be fighting Spain in Africa (Mongols aside). We have naval supremacy but the Spanish have the troop numbers. As for the Rus. Just AI stupidity if you ask me. No chance of success but they will try anyway. Now that we are only at war with them in the north, it won't take long to mass against their last two holdings.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Lancer View Post
    Nice update as always. I thought that you would not attack Genoa because after the battle the city would revolt but that's actually what happened Looking forward to the end of an era... Skantarios deserves more than just a city named after him
    Yeah, I knew Innsbruck might revolt but they still had a city in Corsica, so I just assumed that there was a general there. Guess I was wrong. Now that city is rebel, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by PringlesMan101 View Post
    Skantarious deserves a whole country named after him.
    Thanks. Still haven't finalized which city will receive the name but I have it narrowed down and it will be included at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    good shout out to the predicament of the WRE having to hire non roman mercenaries; good to see the Emperor is learning from the past,

loved hearing about the takedown of Gorgan; the idea of Roman arms penetrating that far east is quite exotic and awesome-i always like having my armies out in the eastern wastes of transoxania and near the black sea...seems....awesome like something from conan the barbarian lol
    Yeah. Sometimes I wish I had sent Skantarios out there. Would have made for a great story line. Hard to justify, though, as he would be really out of touch with the rest of the Empire as he chased glory (of course, that didn't stop Alexander...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Turkey Lord View Post
    Fortunate for whom? Very big update.Especially thankful for this one, gave me something to read while I was awake and lonely at two in the morning, eating a dinner of scrambled eggs and toast.
    Fortunate for the Empire that Skantarios does what must be done. Sorry about the 2am routine. Still, I hope it brightened your evening/morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by dezikeizer View Post
    Great as always, and an especially good point there at the end about the large numbers of foreigners serving in your army. That could definitely lead to problems for Skantarios' successors. It seems that the Europeans are starting to truly take the war seriously, I wonder if a raid into some of their homelands will end up being necessary if they keep fighting this well. Voted for you by the way.+rep when I can.
    I would love to write a few posts about a raid deep into Iberia or a strike deep into France to burn down Paris (I think Exarch would too). However, the time constraints are such that it is not to be. Maybe for the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Lancer View Post
    cannot wait for the final showdown at Pisa... Hope that peace will finally be restored... supremacy will belong to the Roman Empire again and Skantarios will be remembered as the Peace-Maker forever
    What happens at Pisa will feature prominently in the next update. Whether Skantarios is remembered as the "Peace Maker"...that, I don't know. Not if you ask the Muslim factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire1016 View Post
    Congratulations on winning the MAARC Skantarios also a great update. I see that Skantarios' name has changed for the "killer" to the "brave"
    Thanks. Very happy with how the MAARC turned out - both in participation and result. As for the name, the AI changes that so often I've lost track. Skantarios must be on his ninth or tenth moniker change by now. Maybe I will include something on that in the last post. Still, I like "the Brave" much better than "the Killer".

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    Whoa, looking at that map, SKantarios the Conqueror has surpassed alexander for sure; the Emperor has been form one end of his empire to the other, from extermianting the turks to (now) exterminating the popeawesome stuffplus i was impressed by your generalship in winning 2 heroic victories, you seem like a very apt harse archer player, tending to go for a decapitation strike eh good going
    Skantarios does get around. Love the horse archers. They can be easily countered with foot archers but they are deadly on the move and the Cavalarii are almost battlefield assassins when it comes to the enemy generals. "Cut off the head and the tail will wither."

Quote Originally Posted by Thokran View Post
    Another great update. I can finally see things coming full circle for Skantarios with his march on Pisa. Plus all the other unfinished theaters of war make for great content for your Legacy AAR in the future.
    I will definitely keep the save game for this in case I get up the motivation to do another (shorter) AAR in the future. I can see some clear plot lines for this with the war with the Mongols and some of the great powers of the west. But, that is for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PringlesMan101 View Post
    You know after Benedek finishes off the Kievan Rus he could head east and take out the Cuman Khanate in a swift campagin. I'm sure they don't have a lot of soldiers for sure. And I got a question, why don't you just make a new army with a general(with high loyalty) and have him help out with Skantarious?
    I doubt we will get to the Cumans. They have been neutral for about forever. They are pagans, true, and would make a natural target but we won't be seeing action against them in this AAR at least. For Italy, I have brought Kalamodios down after he finished off Lithuania. He would make a great character for the future and probably my choice to lead a raid or other such adventure. I have some others coming from Greece (including one of Vasileios's sons)but they will most likely not play any part in this AAR. For the future, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Highi View Post
    Once again a great update! when you told Skantarios was going to settle his dispute with the pope, it made me think of Attila the Hun's encounter with Leo I, bishop of Rome, who allegedly convinced him to turn away from the city. Can't wait to see if the meeting will work out in the same way or not!
    Excellent point! Be sure to read the next update for the parallels you just described. Not saying anything else on that point...

Quote Originally Posted by the Commissar View Post
    Registered to say "Thanks" for this great AAR. Great penmanship, and great victories.
    Welcome to the forums!! Thanks for the compliment, as well. Always like it when someone registers in order to comment on this AAR. Most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
    I am although very happy to hear that Benedek, my all time favorite "northmen" is back in business, he is as efficient in battle as Skantarios and I have little doubt he will succeed in his campaign. I will be watching this AAR till the end, all hail to the emperor as the twilight of his life approach like a thundering warhorse charges through enemy ranks.
    Benedek is one of my favorite "supporting players" as well. The next update will feature him very prominently both in battle and in the mind of Skantarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1988 View Post
    After your landslide victory in the latest MAARC, I figured that this AAR must be worth reading. I am pleased to say that I haven't been disappointed. I've still got a long way to go before I've read it all, but what I have read so far has been superb. You have a great writing style. +rep
    Thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoy it. It has gotten long but I hope it makes for an easy (and enjoyable) read.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonius View Post
    Superb as always. I've just renamed a city in my campaign (inspired by this AAR, and I love it, so challenging) Skantariopolis. It's that town on georgian coast, I'll try to get a screenshot.
    Please post it when you get a chance. I haven't figured out whether to call the memorial city in my campaign Skantariopolis or Skantarium.

I think that catches me up on the comments. If I missed one, my apologies. I always appreciate hearing the feedback.

I don't want to put in any spoilers for the next update but you will see some battles, some diplomacy, and some great changes for the future of the Empire.

Just two left...

As always, thanks for reading!!

Great updates as always! The Battle of Innsbruck in 1537 was just amazing. I personally prefer Skantariopolis, it sounds more Greek and eastern Roman, than the more Latin sounding Skantarium. Maybe name two cities after him (he has conquered half the world).
    Last edited by JohnGlave; May 11, 2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Made a mistake with the font.

We have strong archers who can fire at a distance. Further, they know how to place stakes to ward off the enemy cavalry. They will be especially useful in city defense and against the horse archers of our foes. Let the enemy fall under a shower of arrows as they struggle to come to grips with us.
    Is this part of the 6.2 patch? I have 6.1 and have never seen Byz archers that can lay stakes.

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

Cant wait to see them, although I will miss this AAR when it is done. I have started my own AAR as you must have noticed, although far from being the masterpiece of Roman Glory, it is, as I mentioned, a work in progress. Glory to Benedek and Skantarios, the best Rome has to offer.
    My work in progress AAR, come and have look.

L'État c'est moi, The Monarchy of France
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

Critic Quills review about my AAR.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365219

Laetus

It's amazing to see how much you've written and how much time you spent on this AAR Skantarios, it could take someone days just to finish reading what's already been posted. Also, your AAR could be called a book becasue of the many chapters and such.