Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - **Complete**

Default The Situation in Italy. Decision for Skantarios.

From the Diaries of Emperor Skantarios (continued entry)

November, 1529 AD.

The news from Isidoros is almost unbelievable. I recount his letter so I will remember one of the darkest times in our history.

Situation Report from Isidoros Petraliphas - November, 1529 AD.
    Spoiler for Report from Isidoros

Sire, I write to you with dire news. My father, your brother, our Lord Nikodimos is dead.

The campaign started out so well with the successful capture of Bologna from the Sicilians. The seizure of that city had finally driven them out of northern Italy and set the stage for our offensive next year to capture Naples and expel the Sicilians out once and for all. Father wrote to us with such confidence for his next offensive - the capture of Pisa.

From what I can gather, the scouting reports showed no sign of any Papal forces outside of Rome and the garrison of Pisa.

The garrison was reported to be very small and everything seemed ripe for a swift capture of the city. Lord Nikodimos had gathered additional men from the ample mercenaries in the area and set out with the victors of his previous conquest. Apparently, when some of his captains expressed concerns over the size of the army, he brushed them aside saying that he must press on - he could not wait. He was not allowed.

The early goings seemed to prove Lord Nikodimos right. The army marched unopposed for the short distance from Bologna to Pisa. When they arrived, they set in their siege lines and made ready for the assault, as expected.

However, as if from nowhere, a large Papal army came against them!

I have compiled what I can of the actual battle from our men. The depiction is somewhat confused but it seems accurate.

Battle of Pisa - August, 1529 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Pisa

From Battle Report Filed Collected from Survivor Accounts and Reported by Isidoros Petraliphas to Emperor Skantarios - 1529 AD.

The Papal army that came against us was strong in heavy cavalry and spearmen. They also had three companies of crossbows and one of longbowmen.

Their heavy cavalry was made up of mercenaries from Germany and northern Italy. Of note, they had two companies of a type we had never encountered before - Gendarmes. These super-heavy horsemen were armored from head to toe and were of a heavier type than I had never heard of before outside of our own Scholarii.

They were led by an experienced general named Eugenius Alexii.

Not too much is known of the man except that he is the commander of the Papal armies and is known as a strict disciplinarian and, apparently, an excellent field commander.

The garrison of the city consisted of only infantry armed with spears and pikes.

The men still talk about the fierceness of the Papal Guard and their pike armed counterpoint - the Swiss Guard.

Nikodimos commanded the bulk of the Army of the West. He was forced to leave many men back in Bologna to keep order and they had suffered some losses from the previous battle.

We had begun to rely on the fine mercenaries available for hire in these lands. We had two companies of Swiss pikemen, one company of Swiss halberds, and one of the "Free Companies" of pole-armed infantry. Of course, we also had three companies of heavy Roman infantry armed with sword and spear. The last portion were the two units of bombards and one archers.

At the approach of the Papal army, our men took up a strong position on a hill facing Eugenius's army. Unfortunately, our position put us between that army and the garrison of the city moving to our rear.

Lord Nikodimos gave the order to displace with haste to the east so that we wouldn't be trapped between the two forces. We made the best speed we could but the Papists did not wait for us to get in position. They sent their heavy Gendarmes cavalry smashing into us while we were still on the move.

The Swiss halberds who had showed so much skill dealing with cavalry in the past had a hard time bringing these demons down. They slew a few of them but lost at least five for every rider they unhorsed.

Soon enough, another company of these Gendarmes came smashing against the Swiss Pikemen. They seemed contemptuous of our pikes and simply bulled their way through the line to slay us with sword and mace.

Our cannons were able to get off a few shots but they were soon trampled by yet another charge of heavy horse. This time, General Eugenius led the charge in person. He, too, seemed unconcerned by our spears and pikes. The strong armor of his bodyguard brushed aside the blows of our men. Even when Lord Nikodimos sent a company of our spearmen against their flanks, we made little impression against their stout armor.

Yet more cavalry assailed our flanks. The Papist mercenary horse, the Condottieri, cut around our flanks and took out our archers. Nikodimos was forced to use his own bodyguard to prevent them from completely surrounding us. Even so, it was a close thing and he lost many of his own men.

We had our hands full with those cavalry and the fight became protracted. It allowed time for the enemy infantry to close up on us from all sides.

Lord Nikodimos fought bravely against the Papal mercenaries but was soon assailed by no less than three companies of Condottieri and Germans.

Our men were pinned and surrounded. The Papal spearmen pressed against us from all sides but we gave not an inch.

The fight was now a confused mess with no discernable front or rear. Everywhere we looked, more and more Papal soldiers pressed against us.

Lord Nikodimos fought like a hero and slew at least six of our foe with his own sword. I do not know the exact moment he fell but I do know he was one of the last to go down.

Spoiler for Nikodimos Slain

Even with the death of our general, we fought on. The Swiss mercenaries continued to stay true to us even when all hope was lost. If any of them broke, we did not see it. They fought to the last.

What few of us were left tried to escape but the damnable Papal horsemen were everywhere riding us down and laughing as they did so.

It was a terrible defeat and virtually none of our men managed to escape.

These "Men of God" brought the ransom demand to the gates of Bari; along with, I despair to report, the head of my father. They had captured a few dozen of our men and I was obliged to pay the ransom.

At least they had the honor to accept payment for our men's lives. It is from these men that I have the report to submit to you.

I have rearmed these men to the best of our ability and sent them to Ancona to hold that fortress for us.
    If the defeat was not dire enough news already, I have also received reports from the garrison at Bologna that the city is in full revolt.
    Spoiler for Bologna Riots
    The word of our defeat spread quickly and local townsfolk agitate against us and for adherence to the Pope and freedom from the "Byzantines" (they even had the audacity to use such an insulting name for us). The small garrison had to shut themselves up in their barracks and could not prevent numerous public buildings being burned. Hundreds of bodies lie in the streets as the mob takes out their violence against both the commoners and our public officials.

Since the garrison cannot even maintain order, they cannot be expected to defend the city against assault. I am sure that an army of the Pope or the Venetians is even now moving against them.

The only mildly positive thing that I can report is that we found one of the chief agitators in the city.
    Spoiler for Agent Found
    We were unable to capture the man and he is still at large somewhere near the city spouting his bile and inciting the peasants.

I fear that our loss will soon invite the Spanish from the south or the French from the north to descend on us and take advantage of our weakened state. The agents of the Pope openly speak of their alliances with those nations and make it seem that they will soon be here.

Sire, I do not know what to do. I am secure in the south but I have called off the offensive against Naples. I have sent some more men from Ancona to Bologna to put up at least a respectable defense but I dare not send too many lest we invite the Venetians to strike at us there, as well.

We need more men and money and we need them both immediately. I await your orders. I pray they will come soon.

- Isidoros.

Italy is in chaos.

The Army of the West is destroyed, the cities are in revolt and we have the Sicilians, Venetians, and the Papacy poised to throw us off the peninsula. In addition, the Papal allies of France and Spain are ready to swoop in at a moment's notice to aid their "holy" master.

The annihilation of the Army of the West has made Spain, once again, the greatest military power in the known world.

Their newfound prestige has even emboldened them to demand tribute from us as a safeguard for their neutrality and future good conduct!
    Spoiler for Spanish Demands
    The gall of them to bring such a demand to me, even cloaked in the velvet words of a woman, is disgusting. I, of course, refuse with as little grace as possible. (If Clara had been a man, I would have sent only the head back as my reply.)

As for Italy, I contemplate for a moment abandoning the country entirely...but just as quickly discard it. To leave would lose us the peninsula forever and embolden our enemies to strike at us in Greece or even at the gates of Constantinople itself - and that cannot be allowed to happen.

Unfortunately, we have too few troops to send right away. What men I have in Greece are now speeding to take possession of our new lands and the garrisons of the major cities of the west have all been stripped for that purpose. Money we have but that will not be enough.

All is not lost, the garrison at Bari is still strong and we have a somewhat secure foothold. What Italy really needs is a strong hand to turn things and take charge of the situation.

But who can I send?

Isidoros is a fine general but is still too young to entrust with such a task on his own. I contemplate sending Vasileios but he has grown soft from his extended stay in Constantinople and is much more valuable running the administration than in leading armies. Either Vitos or Genessios would be perfect but they are far away and committed to other fights. Benedek is too old and also too far away.

So, who?

Of course, the perfect answer is staring back at me every morning in the mirror. Though I may not wish it, I know that I could do it. I have seen us through worse predicaments before and could do so again...Could I really call myself the leader of my people if I just stand idly back when the Empire needs me? Can I really allow my loyal soldiers to be led by another bumbling fool when I could prevent it?

Everywhere I look, it seems I am called for. The men look to me for inspiration. My advisors look on at me with the expectation that I will know the proper course. I have held the reigns so tightly for so long that none seem to have any input save to ask me what to do. They all await my orders.

Even the legacy of my father calls me to action; for the Pope has killed my father's son - my brother

That Nikodimos was a fool in battle is of little matter. He was still an honorable man and one of the original members of our royal house. I must also admit that had I not pushed him so hard, then he might have stayed in Bologna and would still be alive. Part of the responisibility for his death must rest on my shoulders. He must be avenged.

The Venetians, Sicilians, and the Papacy are my enemies since my youth and all have been resolute against us for decades. They mock the Empire with their defiance. More to the point, they mock me. I can feel their smugness and satisfaction even from my far removed position.

To leave the city of Rome in the hands of the enemies of the Roman Empire is simply unacceptable. To leave Italy outside the control of the Empire would be to turn my back on the goal of a lifetime - to see the Roman Empire restored in all its glory.

Even my sword, The Sword of Constantine, seems to agitate for me to go to battle. It has sat in its scabbard too long unused. It is not the weapon of an idle old man, a cautious politician, or a gardener. It is the sword of a soldier. A leader. Even now, it whispers in my ear as I write these words and urges me to war.

If I am truthful with myself, I should admit that the one thing I have learned in my time in retirement is that an idle life is not for me. More to the point, peace is not for me. The people I came in contact with during the inspection tour have not seen war in decades. Their children have no memory of the conflict that very nearly condemned them to Islam and slavery. They are friendly and welcoming even when they do not know who I am. They are content with their lot in life and happy.

But I am not.

My travels through our lands made me feel like a foreigner. It seems as though there is just no place for me here. The world of peace, charity, prosperity and hope has lost all meaning to me. These are emotions for other men; for weak men. There is no place for a man who has known only battle and death. The home and hearth are like a foreign concept that I can wrap neither my head nor heart around. I cannot turn around the path of my life no matter how much I would wish it.

For I am a warrior. I should stop pretending otherwise.

The time of peace is for my children’s children, not for me. There will be no peace in my time. I know this is God’s price for my victories. This is the penance He has imposed on me. I should rail against this fate but I cannot. For if I am not the Commander of the Imperial Army, then what am I? A tottering old fool scratching away in the dirt? A monster? A tyrant?

No, I will not accept this.

By God, I am Skantarios! I am the burning fire that brings the light to the outlands! I am the heat that shapes the iron of empire. I do what other men fear to. I do what I must so that others may live in peace and have hopes for the future. For I will have neither. I know this now. War is my life. War is my destiny.

That is my fate…that is what I am.

To Isidoros, I send but a simple letter, five words only. "Make ready - I am coming."

I travel back to the capitol in a forced march stopping only for fresh horses and drink. When I arrive, I blow past the guards and call a muster of the garrison and my veterans still encamped north of the city and growing fat and lazy off the plunder and pay they have earned. When they assemble in the early morning, I offer them a choice: discharge and a comfortable retirement or to join up again with me for conquest. To my surprise, almost the entire army of veterans joins back up on the spot. Apparently the life of a civilian is not to their liking either; or, perhaps they have always understood what I did not. We are soldiers - first, last, and always.

We go to Italy. We go to be who we are. We go to war!

- I am Skantarios.
    Spoiler for Personal Diary Entry of Emperor Skantarios

Personal Diary Entry of Skantarios Laskaris, December 15, 1529 AD - Recovered from Imperial Papers - Confidential - Not for Publication.

Maria tells me a story on our last night together before I depart the city for Italy.

It is about a scorpion trapped on a small island in the middle of a flood. He spies a passing frog swimming through the water and calls out for assistance. “Please take me to far shore!” cries the scorpion. The frog does not trust him and says if he does that, then the scorpion will surely sting him. The scorpion replies, “I won’t, I promise. If I sting you, then we will both die.” This seems logical to the frog so he allows the scorpion to climb on his back and begins to carry him over the rushing waters. When they are only halfway there, the scorpion can resist no longer and stings the frog. The frog says, “Why would you do that? Now, we will both drown!” The scorpion replies, “I can’t help it. It’s in my nature.”

I can see her point. I know war will kill me but I can’t help it; it’s in my nature.

I think this is her way of saying she understands.

The world as we know it 1529 AD.

The world as it really is - 1529 AD.
    Last edited by Skantarios; May 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated as of 4/11

WOW!

What an awesome post! It really sucks about what happened to Nikodimos. But alas, it provided the perfect opportunity for some superb storytelling, and now, Skantarios is finally gonna be back in action!

Skantarios and his Empire vs. Sicily, Venice, the Pope and his Grunts! (France and Spain) Sounds like a pay-per-view match to me!

+rep the moment I can. Keep up the amazing work!

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated as of 4/11

Awesome post.

Gosh, I just hope Skantarios lives long enough to trample the Papacy and it's minions.
    "The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned. " - Antonio Gramsci

"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains." - Rosa Luxembourg

Brilliant Skantarios the destroyer of Islam rides to defeat the trecherous forces of the west, awesome
    What kind of army is being assembled that can destroy the gendarmes and the other forces?
    Et Tu Brute?

Double Post
    Last edited by Vampire1016; April 11, 2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Double Post
    Et Tu Brute?

pattonrommel's Avatar Centenarius

Finally caught up with this AAR. Very well done all around; it kept me reading through all of the 24 pages so I think that says something on its own. It isn't often when a campaign can successfully revolve around one man, but you pulled it off well. Skantarios reminds me a lot of Genghis Khan who took his small empire to conquer empire after empire and sent capable generals around the world to continue his work. Exciting stuff

The latest twist was great, but I am wondering whether the disaster in Italy was RPed to go with the lack of generalship or if you genuinely were overwhelmed. And I also want to know what the total is for victories and defeats at this point; it seems like you have fought everywhere and everyone

Keep up the amazing work
    "We're in a war, dammit! We're going to have to offend somebody!" -John Adams

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Sorry about not commenting for such a while. Homework has been more difficult than usual lately. The last few updates have been brilliant, and I have to say that it's great to see that Skantarios is going to take charge of the Italian campaign. It sure as heck needs him at this point. The stuff you said about old soldiers was brilliant, reminds me a bit of Julius Ceasar and his veterans. Keep up the great work. +rep when I can.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Brilliant update.
    Perhaps the ever present battle tactician has grown too used to fighting swift yet unarmoured Muslim armies.
    That was quite a Papal army indeed.

I didn't catch up with the comments/questions from the last couple of posts so I am going to do it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Money View Post
    Quick question - when you trade vast territories like that, what happens to the armies - are they traded over as well?
    No, the garrisons are expelled out of the city and have to make their own way back to "friendly lines." Fortunately, I have military access with the Hungarians so I won't suffer any loss of relations as I move them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Thokran View Post
    Skantarios and his Empire vs. Sicily, Venice, the Pope and his Grunts! (France and Spain) Sounds like a pay-per-view match to me!
    Thanks. Looking forward to it myself. Spain and France are numbers 1 and 3 in the military power-meter. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrider View Post
    I just hope Skantarios lives long enough to trample the Papacy and it's minions.
    No doubt I am pushing it having him take on such a task at his advanced age. I think this will be his last campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire1016 View Post
    What kind of army is being assembled that can destroy the gendarmes and the other forces?
    There is a significant chunk of the former Imperial army back in Greece for retraining. Some elements were left behind in the east and are now with Genessios, Vitos, and Ioannis. Skantarios will be bringing some of his best, though. He also has access to a couple companies of Scholarii (modern cataphracts) that can only be trained in Constantinople. The Gendarmes are very tough. It should be interesting to see them up against Roman heavy cavalry, Mangonels, and elephants.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire1016 View Post
    I know I haven't commented in a while but this is a great AAR skantarios, well done. Also how are the finances of the empire in terms of income per turn? also can you get a picture of the faction rankings to see how much the empire is owning.
    Missed this the first time around. Here are a couple of pics showing rankings and finances.

Spoiler for Finances and Rankings

Military Rankings

Spain and I are virtually tied. France #3, Denmark #4, and Germans #5.

Overall Rankings

Finances in 1530
    Quote Originally Posted by pattonrommel View Post
    The latest twist was great, but I am wondering whether the disaster in Italy was RPed to go with the lack of generalship or if you genuinely were overwhelmed. And I also want to know what the total is for victories and defeats at this point; it seems like you have fought everywhere and everyone
    The defeat was real. I even put a picture in to show the situation in Italy before the battle to show the supposed lack of Papal strength in the area. It definitely didn't appear that the Pope had any troops around, hence the small-ish army I was using. I am assuming that the Papal army was in hiding in the woods and didn't show up until the attack. Not the first time I've been surprised by something like that (Battle of the Bosporus comes to mind). Also was surprised by the quickness in the attack of the cavalry and how little effect the pikes and halberds had. Not sure if that was because we weren't set when they attacked or they were just that tough.

Now, I will admit that I play this out two to three turns ahead of what I write. So, I knew about Nikodimos before I wrote the 1528 post and added some elements to the posts for the sake of the story.

As for overall wins and losses, those are somewhat skewed as I have not shown battles against rebels (mostly wins) and sea battles (many losses, especially early). But, since you asked, here is a pic showing the stats of the moment.
    Spoiler for Wins and Losses

I've only posted the comments from those who asked questions or wanted information. Still, know that I appreciate any and all responses I receive and constructive criticism is always helpful.

I am working on the 1530 post but I have a lot going on this week so I may not be able to finish for a couple of days. As usual, a lot of stuff going on in the campaign. The highlights will be our adjustments to the new territory (and our enemy's reaction to it) and, of course, Skantarios's return to war.

As always, thanks for reading!

Side note: you probably noticed the new signature line. Good, bad, or just way-too-pretentious?
    Last edited by Skantarios; April 12, 2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Fenrisulfrinn's Avatar Civis
    I am a citizen of the world; it doesn't really matter where

Skantarios, just thought I'd give you a quick comment on the new signature: the pictures are really cool, but the text is a little hard to read; you might want to darken the purple a tad bit.

I agree with, Fenrisulfrinn the text is indeed a bit hard to read
    "The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned. " - Antonio Gramsci

"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains." - Rosa Luxembourg

Nice... hope that Skantarios will be able to take either Venice or Rome ( much better but it seems like you should also try to avenge against the Venetian... so long since I saw any actions against them ). Try to gain back what Justinian gained in the last campaign perhaps ?

Indefinitely Banned

whoa man
    i've just finished reading your second alst update and have yet to read the latest one but good call on th ediplomatic front; i would've given the buffer lands to your vassal but considering they lack the resources, men and gold to be a decent buffer, your plan to give it to the hungarians was a good call
    good call, Emperor!!

and btw great writing in demonstrating the difficulties of logistics in wars of conquest; your allusion to Hadrian was interesting; made me want to re-read about him

now i'll get back into your latest update and edit after i'm done

EDIT: YEAAAH!!!
    The Emperor Returns!!!
    and he's coming to Italy!!
    Last edited by Exarch; April 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Awesome update, but, no map?
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Iv been following this for a while now, and could never be bothered to sign in
    but after those last updates, i need to say "my hat off to you sir"
    this is one good aar you having going
    hope Skantarios lives for a while longer yet

+rep

"One God, One Emperor, One Empire"
    Researcher of Italia Invicta

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

Do you think you can do a drawing of what stankarios looks like?

Indefinitely Banned

skantarios
    great work, btw could we get a screenshot of the imperial army Skantarios is taking to Italy?

like a pic of the army in formation, their faces, the imperial banners fluttering in the breeze
    Last edited by Exarch; April 13, 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

It is only fitting for the Emperor to act upon his brother's death, even if his brother was not as efficient as a commander, he was after all his brother, roman blood was spilled when Skantarios father died, the cowardly act was repayed a thousand fold by the near extermination of Islam...Now, foul papacy spilled roman blood yet again. Skantarios may not live to see the end of this war, however, he will make them suffer for their arrogance.

I say go Skantarios... Bring Papacy to its knee's. They should have learned from history when Islam was brought to its knee's, it seems they believe they are invincible, that they can do what they wish without consequences.

Burn rome to the ground, even if its the last thing Skantarios do, although Rome is important to the roman empire, it is rome that spawned the evil that hated the New Roman Empire for decades, it is Rome that sat by while Constantinople felt the wrath of Islam twice, it is Rome that spawned the evil that slayed your brother. They deserve no less.

Burn Rome BURN IT TO THE GROUND.

I have been following this for some time and I must say this is by far the best AAR I have ever read. Amazing job.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
    Awesome update, but, no map?
    This update was an extention of the same year that Skantarios changed his lands with the Hungarians.
    So there was nothing new to be had.