Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - **Complete**

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated as of 5/13

Man, I love this AAR!
    I know you're a busy guy, but I think I speak for all of us when I say that we'd all be eternally grateful if you'd make a sequel!
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated as of 5/13

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
    Man, I love this AAR!
    I know you're a busy guy, but I think I speak for all of us when I say that we'd all be eternally grateful if you'd make a sequel!
    I agree, A sequel would be awesome. Doesnt have to be as logn as this one, for me, it would only satisfy my curiosity on the "after skantarios" effect. what would happen after the emperor is gone.
    My work in progress AAR, come and have look.

L'État c'est moi, The Monarchy of France
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

Critic Quills review about my AAR.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365219

Wow! The pope is your vasal? That will show the world who is truly the dominant power of Europe and the Middle East! Loved the bit about Attilla. Will you lay down the Persians and the Mongols in the next update, or are you going to offer them a Skantarian peace too? It wouldn'nt really fit with the overall story (them being the worst enemies of the Empire), but it may be too large a task to conquer them while Skantarios still lives...
    80% of the people on forums have things in their signature they ask you to copy. If you're sick and tired of this, copy this in your sig
    Fun things to do in Total war:
    1. Trample peasants to death with elephants (optionally with culverins)
    2. Burn peasants with greek fire
    3. Bombard peasants with mangonels
    4. Burn peasants with fire-arrows

Yes, I like my peasants...
    Fried!!!

Where did you find this for SS 6.2?? I only see one thread and its for 6.1

Go
    HERE to get the latest on SS 6.2. I believe it includes all the elements from this AAR to include the 1450 Campaign that I am using.
    I thought it would be this Version (RC/RR). (?) 'Cause the 6.2 you posted doesn't contain the 1450 campaign, does it?

I don't want to sound presumptuous, but I am a bit confused right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tar-Narcano View Post
    I thought it would be this Version (RC/RR). (?) 'Cause the 6.2 you posted doesn't contain the 1450 campaign, does it?

I don't want to sound presumptuous, but I am a bit confused right now.
    I believe you can use either one. I don't know much about modding so I don't want to put out bad info. As I recall, the 6.2 mod incorporates both CBUR, RR/RC Compilations, and the 1450 Campaign. The RC/RR mod you linked to also incorporates the CBUR and the 1450 (as well as RC/RR). So, if I am reading this, you should be able to use either one.

I downloaded SS 6.2 back in October(?) and it had all the elements discussed above. The one you link to seems to be more updated and probably incorporates other elements (and probably some bug fixes) that I don't have. Either should be fine. I don't think they are mutally exclusive.

If anyone can shed light on this, please do so.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

So you are playing with RC/RR? Good to know. I should try this, too. Never played with RC and RR.

As always great AAR (and stuff)!

Laetus

Skantarios, other than playing on the 6.2 Stainless Steel Mod, are you using any other smaller mods? I would love to know because I wanna play your campaign. Also, this may be kinda stupid, but I can't seem to find the 1450 campaign in my 6.2 mod(maybe I didn't download everything?).
    Last edited by PringlesMan101; May 14, 2010 at 09:31 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

skantarios
    props on vassaling the pope, mate you've achieved somethign i'd thought impossible
    also, sadness and condolences at benedek's passing; he will be missed, he was a true son of Rome e, and dedicated his life to the glory of the roman empire.
    having said that, i'm much pleased at the diplomatic coups of the Pax Skantario (latin grammar?LOL) not only have you managed to secure the western and northern borders of the empire, but also managed to destroy and neutralize several key enemies.

Finally, it's with great sadness that i hear that the next update may be the last
    we've followed this AAR with the same addiction harry pothead fans have towards jk rowling it does remind me of George RR MArtins' 'a song of ice and fire' books, and in saying that i'd like to congratulate Skanatrios the TWC member for his dedication and prowess in battle/strategy and his commitment to this story.
    If possible (if your life and other commitments allow) i'd like to take the opportunity to also lobby for a sequel
    in any case, i'll be looking forward to any other AARs you may wish to write in the future
    Last edited by Exarch; May 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PringlesMan101 View Post
    Skantarios, other than playing on the 6.2 Stainless Steel Mod, are you using any other smaller mods? I would love to know because I wanna play your campaign. Also, this may be kinda stupid, but I can't seem to find the 1450 campaign in my 6.2 mod(maybe I didn't download everything?).
    You are most likely just using the base 6.2 version. I am fairly certain that Skantarios is using the RR/RC submod which includes 6.2, but a whole lot more. The 1450 campaign is in RR/RC but not in 6.2 RC4

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=300716

Laetus

Ok, so where can I get the RR/RC mod? Can you give me a link(a safe link)?

Coeur de Lion's Avatar Ordinarius

Investigate a little first my friend, some things are easier to find than you think! <-- there is your link

On another note:
    I have been considering starting my own Byz AAR (again!) but Skantarios is such a hard act to follow!! Although, talk of a last post suggests that there may be a gap in the market for Coeur de Lion!

The link I just posted is the link for RR/RC. Can't get any safer than that. On top of that, the Stainless Steel 6.X Install Guide (in my signature) gives a breakdown of what you will need to install, and also takes you to the same page under the RR/RC section.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great as always, and an especially great job on making the Pope a vassal and the peace in the west. The Attila the Hun comparison was brilliant. After so many wars the empire will need it to be ready for the next period of expansion. Sad to see Benedek go, though I suppose at least he died the way he would have wanted.

It seems that the Mongols are turning out to be a difficult foe, though that's to be expected considering they tend to use armies very similar in composition to the ones you use. At least the Persians were easy to deal with. I'm very interested in seeing how you end the story. +rep when I can.

Croat Axeman (LOL)'s Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I have finally finished this and I don't know what to say because all has been already said.

So I will just stay in silence and awe.

Default The End

From the Personal Journal of Genessios Ksiros Laskaris

March, 1540 AD.

The news strikes me like a knife to the stomach. Many can simply not believe it. I am among them.

Our lord and master, my father, Emperor Skantarios…is…dead.

The reports coming from the Imperial Army in Italy say that his horse lost its footing while descending a steep mountain pass in the Alps south of Bern. Other accounts say that there was a small earthquake causing the ledge he was on to give way resulting in the fall. Either way, he and his mount fell down some thousand feet into the deep snow below.

The odd thing about the reports is that his horse was found dead and broken but the Emperor was not.

In fact, he was not found at all.

No blood, no clothing, nothing...The only sign of his body was the Sword of Constantine, still in its scabbard, lying some twenty feet away from the horse where it had settled upon a small pile of rocks. The entire Imperial Army searched frantically in every direction for more than three days for his body but the depth of the snow and the hazardous terrain made the search nearly impossible.

Much of the army had to continue south given the terrible conditions but six companies have set up camp at the site and continue to seek his body. To aid in the effort, over a thousand peasants from the area around Bern, including many accustomed to climbing in that terrain, have been conscripted to continue the search for our Emperor. At least half a dozen have already died in accidents looking for the body but with no success thus far. Captain Maggiados is in charge of the operation and has warned that, given the terrain, we may never find a body. The snow does not melt at that altitude and there are thousands of places where the body could have come to rest.

General Kalamodios has moved west to the site and confirms the accounts. He can only conclude that Emperor Skantarios surely died given the condition of his horse and the impossibility of surviving a fall of that height.

I think he is correct but for the wrong reasons.

Father would never have left his sword behind if he were still alive.

Stories have already sprung up amongst the peasantry that he did not die in the fall but was lifted up by God and taken to Heaven by a host of angels. Equally spurious stories have come from our enemies, saying that he was pulled down by the Devil as he reclaimed his servant. The Spanish King and the Pope appear to have started those particular rumors although both deny it.

Regardless, I must accept the terrible reality that my father is dead.

Given the uncertainty following Skantarios’s death, the Empire has fallen into paralysis. Where we had all become accustomed to receiving his dispatches and orders on a regular basis, none now come. The commanders of the armies are simply following their last instructions with no clear path or strategic direction. The populace has, thankfully, been mostly quiet and there are no reported riots or other unrest. We all seem to be waiting for something to happen.

Lord Vasileios has tried to step into this breach and has begun issuing correspondence in his capacity as Diadohos and Heir. He has already given recall orders for all of our primary generals. Separate dispatches have been sent to me, Vitos, Isidoros, Ioannis, and Kalamodios. We are all to put our forces in defensive positions or back to garrison and make our way to Constantinople with utmost haste. There, Emperor Skantarios is to be officially declared dead by the Council of Nobles and with the concurrence of the Patriarch. Following that, we are to be present for the reading of father’s will and participate in a great memorial service in the Hagia Sophia. Following the ceremony, Vasileios is to be crowned Emperor and Basileus and given the full power of the office. I also hear rumors that we are to be made to swear fealty to Vasileios immediately following the coronation; where he will also appoint his son, young Lord Efthymios, as the official heir and Diadohos.

I have been asked by Lord Vasileios to prepare an oratory to deliver at the funeral service in my place as Skantarios' adopted son. Vasileios will also say some words but he feels that it is fitting that I deliver the primary address.

What will I say??

From the Personal Journal of Genessios Ksiros Laskaris

September, 1540 AD.

My journey back from the East was hectic. Many of my soldiers begged to accompany me for the ceremony but I could accommodate only a precious few. Speed was of the essence for both me and Vitos as we were the furthest away and had the greatest distance to travel. In the end, we were accompanied by only our bodyguards and a few captains that had served with the Emperor in previous campaigns. Despite the speed of our travels, news of our journey came before us. In every town we passed, we were accosted by those wanting some confirmation that father was actually dead. Many of the old people simply refused to believe it. Many others tried to pass keepsakes to be placed at his grave. We took dozens until we could carry no more. I have left orders for a train of wagons to follow at best speed to carry those items we could not bear ourselves. It is a touching gesture and one that I will be sure to pass on to the others, especially my adopted mother, Empress Maria.

The Emperor’s empty tomb is to be consecrated following the ceremony in the Hagia Sophia. The location of the tomb is somewhat unique. Instead of being buried in one of the great churches, it was built on the hill outside of the city overlooking the Muslim mound where the armies of the Jihad were buried en masse. The suggestion actually came from Empress Maria. She thought it fitting that his memorial (as such the tomb must be called) overlooks the armies that he vanquished in defense of the city, our faith, and the Empire. I didn't think her mind worked in such ways but I approve. Lord Vasileios brought it to the Council, they agreed, and it was duly done.

Empress Maria has made arrangements to leave the city following the funeral. She is to take up residence at her expansive estate near Sofia. She states that her duty as Empress is now fulfilled and wants only to live a peaceful life free of the trappings of court and the bustle of the capitol.

In other parts of the Empire, father's death has begun a mini-building boom. Statues and monuments in his name are sprouting up in all of our major cities and even in some of the smaller towns and villages. Each constructing what they can in remembrance of him. I understand the one in Athens is particularly fitting.

The important men of the Empire attempt to outdo each other honoring Skantarios and his life. They have commissioned large statues and other memorials covered in gold and adorned with the weapons of the conquered armies. The Patriarch has already ordered construction of an abbey in the mountains near the site of the Emperor’s death. Monks and nuns are to be stationed there to pray for the salvation of Skantarios and the continuation of the Empire. Lord Vasileios has gone one step beyond and renamed not one city, but two, in honor of father. Tbilisi is to be called Skantariopolis in honor of his final victory over the Turks. Bern is to be renamed Skantarium in honor of the place of his death.

Lord Vasileios states that it is also fitting that the cities of his name will guard our territory for all time, just as the Emperor did. Skantariopolis to guard the eastern border of the Empire and Skantarium to guard the West.

I think father would hate all this. He never suffered sycophants and held vanity in contempt. He would rail against the expense and encourage us to spend it on something useful like roads or stables. Still, it gives the populace a way to vent their grief and we all feel we must do something to honor him. For my part, I have come up with an idea that I think he would approve. I have commissioned the publication of his diaries and the reports of his battles. I want all to know the real man as I did. The scribe I have hired is, ironically, also called Skantarios.

It has been quite a flurry of activity. Tomorrow will be the reading of the will and the funeral.

Truly, it is the end of an era.

- Genessios Ksiros Laskaris.

The world in 1450 AD.

The world in 1540 AD.
    Last edited by Skantarios; June 27, 2011 at 01:12 PM.

Default Funeral and Last Will and Testament of Skantarios Laskaris

Emperor and Basileus Skantarios Laskaris
    Spoiler for Unit Card

Last Will and Testament of Emperor Skantarios Laskaris
    Spoiler for Last Will and Testament

My sons, I leave you a legacy of pain and death and conquest. I also leave you an Empire that is strong, wealthy, and feared by all of Europe and Asia. Do not squander it with pettiness and ambition. If you honored and obeyed me in life, do so now in death. Keep our Empire whole and united.

I did not create greatness of our people. It was already there. I merely showed them the path. I simply provided the spark which lit the flame of their unquenchable fire. Your task now is to keep that flame alive and well tended.

I leave you the final tasks to secure our Empire for now and always. Continue what I have started. Stamp out the last vestiges of the pagans and those who cling to Islam. If they will not submit, then you must destroy them. Do not leave them festering at our doorstep waiting only for the time and strength to fight us again. For they will. If you leave them “in peace”, then war will follow. Maybe not tomorrow or the next but someday. It is inevitable.

If our rivals in the West and North won’t accept peace, then break them. If they won’t become our vassals then destroy them. Do not let pity cloud your judgment. Do not let their pleas silence your sword. We live in terrible times and so we must be terrible ourselves. When all the enemies have been driven away or killed, when all have submitted, then you may rest. Not until then.

Do not bend to the Papacy and his false teachings. The realm of God is in the next world, not in this one. Do not believe his word that he is the mouthpiece of our God; for he is not. He is just a man who was grasping enough to claim the title of Chief of the Latin Right. Other men and rulers may believe his false teachings but not you. You serve the Empire. Remember that. Your own personal desires, your wealth, and your men must all be subservient to the greater Empire. Even your eternal soul must be. We make a better world even if we cannot live in it.

Would that I could have completed my mission and spared you and your children this task; but I could not. The frailties of my body are my life’s only regret. Time marches on and death comes for us all. I am no different though I might wish it were otherwise.

If our Empire is to be brought down, it will not be our enemies that do it – but ourselves. We are now the only ones who can destroy our greatness. If we forget our martial values, forsake discipline and training for luxury and wealth, forsake honor for expediency, then we will have destroyed that which makes us great. If we fight amongst ourselves for succession or petty concessions, if we become greedy, then we destroy our own strength from within. Do not allow yourselves to be tempted. As one who has stood at the heights of power, I can tell you that it is not to be desired. The troubles of a ruler are legion and the rewards are few and hollow. Be content with your positions in our Empire; for both personal fame and fortune are fleeting. Only the glory of Empire endures.

I go now to the judgment of my God. Will the scales weigh more heavily for the good I have done or for the evil? Will He forgive me my many sins that I committed in the service of a greater good? I don’t know. In truth, I think He will be harsh with me. So be it. I always accepted this as the price of conquest. So must we all.

- Emperor Skantarios

Funeral Oration Delivered by Genessios Ksiros Laskaris
    Spoiler for Funeral Oration

Delivered September 15, 1540 AD.

What can I say about our Emperor? Was he cruel? Yes. Was he vengeful? Without a doubt. Was he a tyrant? I suppose the case could be made.

Was he also a visionary and the greatest commander of our age? Absolutely.

He left this world a much different place than he found it. He brought us back from the brink of destruction to the heights of glory. From nothing but our capitol and the Peloponnese, we now rule the largest empire on earth.

On the battlefield, he was undefeated for life. Our enemies were but foolish children compared to his greatness. He conquered from the Alps to the Caucasus; from the Danube to the Nile; from the Tyrrhenian Sea to the Caspian. He conquered Greece, the Balkans, Anatolia, Armenia, Syria, Palestine, Egypt, and Italy. He subjugated the Muslims and the Catholics; the pagans and the Orthodox. He took Rome, Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem. By so doing, he reunited the five great Patriarchies of our Orthodox faith. The genius of his conquests rivaled even that of Alexander the Great. Monuments erected to his victories cover the squares and fields of Constantinople. Even in death, he was expanding and securing the borders of our Empire; forging a path for our continued greatness.

The enemies of his youth were all vanquished. After decades of war, his greatest enemy, the Seljuk Turkish Empire, was completely destroyed. As were the Egyptians, Moors, Lithuanians, Sicilians, and Venetians. He drove the Muslims back into the desert from which they came. He broke the back of Papal power and made them once more subordinate to our Emperor and the Orthodox Church.

But what was the true measure of the man? I have to say that it was that he did what was necessary. He understood the world as it was, not for the way we would wish it to be. He did what others feared to. He set aside his own comfort, safety and perhaps even his immortal soul so that his people could once again take their place as leaders of world; so that our religion would become dominant and not crushed under the heel of the Latins or Muslims. He did what he had to in order to acquire strength and achieve victory. He matched and then surpassed our foes in strategy, tactics, and military might. In truth, he also surpassed them in cruelty, cunning, and savagery. Not because he enjoyed it but because he felt there was no other way. He saw through the ways of wickedness and deceit, passed through, and came out virtuous on the other side. In short, he did what had to be done. He singlehandedly breathed life back into the dream that was our Empire.

He embraced the world for what it was, yet dreamed of what it could be. He did not keep the fruits of our conquests for his own selfish pleasure. He spent it all to improve our Empire and the lot of the common man. The roads, harbors, markets, churches, and schools of all of our major cities are a mighty testament to his far thinking planning and will continue to drive our economy and culture for centuries to come.

The greatness of our people can be directly traced to his leadership. Truly, we basked in the glow of his greatness and sheltered in the lee of his strength. He broke the storm of Jihad with his sword and stood resolute against the tide of the Latins. His strength saw us through the dark times and forged the steel of our Empire. He inspired us to do mighty things without fear. At his instigation, we would have taken on the Army of Heaven with full confidence of victory.

He led us to a better world. Beyond that, he took care of us. When he was in charge, we knew our place in the world…and we knew our duty. With him in command of the Army, we knew we were on the path to ultimate victory.

Now that he is gone, we have lost our way. Now that he has left, we all feel a little less safe.

He was father to us all…now, we are but poor orphans trying to make our way in the world.

Without him, we are less than what we were.

Historian's Notes
    Spoiler for Historian's Notes

With the passing of Skantarios, the “Peace of Skantarios” did not last long. The enemies of the Empire sensed weakness and invaded just a few years after his death. Following the edicts in Skantarios's will, his armies struck out in all the cardinal directions to complete his vision of a completely restored Roman Empire. The lands of the Spanish, the French, the Mongols, the Persians, and the Cumans all soon felt the might of restored Roman arms. The generals who had fought and studied under Skantarios led this charge. Lords Vitos, Genessios, Kalamodios, Ioannis, and Isidoros all forged historic reputations of their own during these campaigns of "The New War." Although none could compete with the legacy of Skantarios, the battles they fought were epic in scope and brought even greater luster and territory to the Empire.

Once his final edicts were carried out, his Empire achieved a period of unprecedented stability and wealth. It was only many years later that the inevitable civil wars and internal succession disputes did what no foreign power could, break up the Empire into competing states...but that is a story for another time.

In the Christian world, the expulsion and subjugation of the Papacy led to a period of introspection and reformation for the Catholic Church. Indeed, it could be said that the campaigns of Skantarios led to the Christian Reformation and gave a much-needed boost to the later reforms spurred on by Martin Luther. The ascendancy of the Orthodox Church in his era is still felt even in modern times with the annual supplication of the Pope to the Patriarch of Constantinople.

In the remaining bastions of Islamic faith, the name Skantarios took on an almost mythic quality. His name became synonymous with fear, death, and (to a large degree) evil. The closest thing in the English language would be a cross between the Devil and the Boogey Man. For years after his death, his name was forbidden to be spoken by any of the Muslim faith. Those who spoke it by accident or intent were required to do a penance of scourging. Those who wrote it down could be stoned to death. In more modern times, parents of Muslim children could gain instant obedience by saying “Do it or Skantarios will get you.”

In the heartlands of the Empire, his name is legendary. Tales are told from one generation to the next about his exploits and how he restored the Roman Empire from the very brink of destruction. They have been added to over the years and many new fables have sprung up. Some even hold that Skantarios did not die at all. They say that he merely waits in slumber in the Alps for the time when the Empire will need him again. When the Empire is at its greatest peril, he will re-emerge to lead the armies once more against the enemies of their faith and culture.

Now his name is but a legend. A fairy tale to some, a tale of horror to others.

Final Personal Diary Entry of Emperor Skantarios
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Final Personal Diary Entry of Skantarios Laskaris, February 15, 1540 AD - Recovered From Imperial Papers Found During the Search for His Body - Confidential

In my life, I have done many, many terrible things. I have killed, burned, pillaged, and destroyed in a swathe of conquests through much of the known world. I have killed tens of thousands on the battlefield, executed thousands more, exterminated cities, and burned down the holiest sites of my enemies. I've done the abhorrent and I've allowed my soldiers to do worse.

The vile things I have done and seen in my life have left a stain on my soul that I cannot wipe clean. No amount of good can wash away the evil I have done. I am beyond redemption.

And I would do it all again.

I make no apologies for what I have done. I never accepted the fate that was allotted to me. To be a vassal of the Turk? To convert to Islam? Never. I would rather die in screaming, flailing agony than submit to the life of a slave.

And for what should I apologize? For killing men who could not stop me? For taking what I could for my Empire? For imposing my religion upon others? For conquering the lands of the Muslims and destroying their armies? For subduing the West and bringing the Papacy to heel? That I outdid my enemies in battle, cruelty, cunning, and deceit is something to exult, not to hide. I simply fought as well and as hard as I could and would not be bound by rules, morals, or chivalry. My master was Victory. Everything I did was in service to it, my God, and the glory of the Empire.

I am simply a man of my times. That I was born into a world of cruelty, death, and destruction is not my fault. If I was wrong, then why did I succeed? If I was wrong, then why are we triumphant and our enemies are vanquished?

I am not sorry. I am not ashamed…and I never will be.

I am Skantarios!

Last edited by Skantarios; June 27, 2011 at 01:23 PM.

Default Final Notes

It's over.

The final updates are posted and the story is done.

This has been a great journey and I am sorry to see it end. After more than four months of late nights with countless hours of playing, writing, and editing, it is finally over.

The last two updates brings the total number of posts/updates/chapters to 70. Wow. Never thought it (or I) would go that long. That does not include the other 81 non-update posts I did (comment replies, status updates, etc.) With two wins in the MAARC, 693 total posts, and 38,000+ (and counting) views, this has been a remarkable adventure in its own right.

Completing this brings an awful lot of personal satisfaction and I am happy to have seen it through.

I do want to give special thanks to a couple of people on the forums. First, I need to thank Giovi for his assistance in creating the outstanding picture at the beginning of the last post. He stepped forward out of the blue and crafted not only that photo but also my new signature line. So, thank you, Thank You!

I also want to thank dezikeizer, Juvenal, and the Nanny. For the final updates, I had a plot point that I needed some assistance/advice on and they helped me out to see which was the best way to go. Thanks for the advice guys.

Last but most important, I have to thank my wife. She fully supported me in this writing endeavor (when she finally found out what I was doing so late at night). Thanks, honey.

Thanks to everyone who has followed this for so long. Some of you like dezikeizer, Dan, STL, Beer Money, and others have been with it since basically the beginning. Others lent encouragement at different points but fell off. Some like Exarch, Karnage, Vampire, and others came in somewhere in the middle and stayed through to the end. I was particularly pleased to see so many who joined the forums just to comment here. I hope they will stay on and contribute in their own ways now that this is over.

I will be doing a bonus post sometime next week. This won't have any new content but I am going to throw in some things that were omitted and talk about some of my favorite moments, photos, stats, etc. There may even be a "blooper reel" of sorts. No idea exactly when this will actually be up but hopefully not before too long.

If you enjoyed this AAR, I would encourage you to post your own thoughts and remembrances about what you really liked (or didn't) or just something about the characters or story that stuck with you. Even better, Juvenal has started a letters section as part of the Critic's Quill. He is encouraging people to write some thoughts on AARs (like this one) for the inclusion in the next few publications. You can see how
    HERE. Feel free if you are so inclined.

Again, this has been an awesome journey. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Skantarios; May 15, 2010 at 09:09 PM.

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated 5/15 (Complete!!)

An epic story for his death, that it took the very force of nature to kill Skantarios, rather than old age killing him.

YOU ARE SKANTARIOS!
    CONVERT TO SKANTARIOSM!

Default Re: [SS AAR] I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire - Updated 5/15 (Complete!!)

So... epic... a fitting death for such a great figure... I will definitely miss this, the greatest AAR that I've ever read. Thank you for the AAR and I will definitely follow if you decide to write another AAR
    For me, the greatest thing of this AAR is the part that you try to vassalize your enemies. I myself always try to vassalize everybody instead of delivering them a swift death. I enjoy all the personal diaries of Skantarios too. In the early days of this AAR I usually skip it but by the end of the story I check out everything from the start again... and discover many new things
    And maybe can you post the most significant achivement of Skantarios in a post ? His greatest victories, diplomacy, I would really enjoy if you could put all the maps from the beginning of his career to the end. We could really see the restoration of the empire during his lifetime.
    Again, thank you and hope that you will do best in your future endeavors ( write a sequel please... we really appreciate if you can write one )

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

I'm really going to miss this AAR. You need to do another AAR of some kind, even if it's not a sequel to this one. You have a lot of talent Skantarios.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.