Thread: France tips

Default France tips

So I just installed this mod today and decided to try France since it was the only faction listed as very hard, now I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how not to go into the red. Are the villages that basically start off below 100% loyalty not even worth bothering with and should just withdraw the troops from there to place them in more crucial spots? I really like challenge but I'm seriously getting my butt kicked in the economics side of the game.

Default Re: France tips

France is hard, heck I manage to get in the red with Savoy, but I'd suggest concentrating on some areas and taking new settlements there and making the small ones profitable by building economy stuff everywhere. Also, fleets tend to be costly, when do you want to invade England? Soon or late game, I suggest disbanding some of them if you're not invading England early on.

I reduced taxes throughout to keep settlements in good graces and started striping them of any troops, once I had a concentration of troops to make an army off they went in search of the English.

I would sometimes sacrifice territory for time, but before I did I would destroy as many useful structures as I could...when I recaptured them later the English had conveniently replaced them.

I did everything in my power to have cordial relations with my neighbours (other than England) and even gave a territory or two away to keep the peace and establish trade, this brought in the cash to make up for my reduced taxes.

I kept my fleet and used it to launch a series of raids on the coastal settlements in England, worked well because I could loot them and flee before the English army arrived in force...also destroyed any buildings I could.

Hope that helps,

CB

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

More or less what the actual French leadership did during the times...very historical.
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Very challenging mod, I just started today as France and am having huge difficulty in getting into the black, I think I'm in debt close to 30,000 now. Great mod though, added a few minor texture mods myself and its great fun. Thanks guys for all the hard work.

=NF= Vasileios_the2nd's Avatar Semisalis

Hey 0ldboy, thanks for the kind words. Out of plain interest, could you show me the textures you added?
    "Greeks dont mod like modders, modders mod like greeks." -PorkyJack
    10 new captain models (campaign map) to download

I just lost a campaign as France (turn 234), playing on M/VH. Ruff campaign. My endresult was holding close to most of France from the start position. In the process I captured and sacked and sold all structures in several English cities, including London. I pushed out the English of France and for the whole game was only in war with England. Yes, no attacks from any of the continental factions.

How I managed that, I'm not completely sure? My strategy from the very start was to take out the English in the South while capping and sacking as many coastal towns in England it self, as possible. This strategy worked well for some time and to my surprise England asked for Peace!? That was agreed upon and after that my income raise fast, and I was able to build up fast, focusing mostly on Northern France provinces.

On the diplomacy I managed to ally with Burgundy and making peace with Castille from start. After that (when I had pushed out the English form southern France) I managed to ally with Aragon. After that I managed to ally with HRE.

Somehow England and Flanders ended up in war together, which of course was to my luck.

So, eventually I played a whole campaign only being in war with England (with a few periods of peace now and then). Still I could not defeat England, only secure continental Europe from it.

Tuff Campaign. I never really focused on a merchant-strategy, cause after the peace with England, from turn 20 or so, my income raised significantly.

Tips:

Ally wisely.
    Throw out the English while capturing their coastal towns.
    Focus production-priority on Northern France.
    Make sure all castles are upgraded as fast as possible.
    Field strong army-forces in all parts of France.
    Build forts at all bridges in France.
    Constantly have a counter-rebel-force on the move.
    Feux is a good place to convert a town to a castle. Perhaps Marseilles too?
    Place towers all over the place so you have zero fog of war.
    Make sure you build civil and military colleges all over France, as fast as possible.
    Place disloyal characters with loyal ones, in towns / castles with academias/universities.
    Remember you can retrain mercenaries in the regions you bought them.

I wonder how it is possible to take out England, without having to thinning out the line in other parts of France? And thinning out the line, will undoubtedly make the other continental factions more lightly to attack you. When one of those attack, others will normally feel safe to follow, have you not been able to make peace fast and solid. When more than one faction attacks you successfully, you are soon in war with 4-5 factions.

Really challenging game playing France. Thanks to the makers of the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Brown View Post
    I reduced taxes throughout to keep settlements in good graces and started striping them of any troops, once I had a concentration of troops to make an army off they went in search of the English.

I would sometimes sacrifice territory for time, but before I did I would destroy as many useful structures as I could...when I recaptured them later the English had conveniently replaced them.

I did everything in my power to have cordial relations with my neighbours (other than England) and even gave a territory or two away to keep the peace and establish trade, this brought in the cash to make up for my reduced taxes.

I kept my fleet and used it to launch a series of raids on the coastal settlements in England, worked well because I could loot them and flee before the English army arrived in force...also destroyed any buildings I could.

Hope that helps,

CB
    Yes, sound strategy. Also, when the English arrive in force, that is really a big force. Like 20 full stacks or so. Crazy big army. I only managed to field few 4 full in one invading force, and that was when Jean and Metz arrived with the event.

So even though my 4-stack-force was able to defeat multiple English armies, attrition was in the English favour, cause I couldn't keep up retraining or buying mercenaries. I think you need 10 full stacks if having to defeat England.

How to raise so many stacks?

Quote Originally Posted by theStig View Post
    France is hard, heck I manage to get in the red with Savoy, but I'd suggest concentrating on some areas and taking new settlements there and making the small ones profitable by building economy stuff everywhere. Also, fleets tend to be costly, when do you want to invade England? Soon or late game, I suggest disbanding some of them if you're not invading England early on.
    I either combine my two fleets and search out the English fleets until I have lost all my fleets. In that way I gain something in loosing them.

Also, their are several naval-tasks that the guilds provide you, so having a half-stack is perhaps not that bad.

Then again, I have only played on medium-level as France.

France English is important for you