Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CTD on campaign when loading battles

Default CTD on campaign when loading battles

I have something that i don't understand happening in my new campaign.
    The game CTD when loading battles very often.Then i reload the game and do the same battle again and it works. and then the next or 2 battles after it CTD again.
    And each time when i do the battle again it works.
    Does someone have any idea what might be the possible causes?

I started a new campaign with a new faction since the last post.
    Everything was OK and now the same problem again.
    On the 2 campaigns i realise that just before the problem started i changed some units skins.
    On the 1st campaign i only replace a skin by another one.
    On this one i also modified a unit name, and the skeleton line (as i changed the unit model) on the descr_model_battle only, and the soldier line on the export_descr_unit.txt.
    So i modified only decr_model_battle.txt and export_descr_unit.txt.
    Each time i reload the game after CTD the battle works???
    Is it possible that this cause the problem?
    And if someone know what ususally are the diifferent causes of a CTD when loading battles it would really help me to find what my problem is?

I have a simillar problem when i play battle with egyptians as enemy for second time (different battle). Each time i reload the game after CTD the battle works.
    If you have any mistake in decr_model_battle.txt and export_descr_unit.txt. the ''-show_err'' shows errors with skins and strategy map etc. errors which prevents the game to run or to run with errors. If you don't use this, try it is very useful.
    The instractions are:
    Locate your RomeTW.exe which is located in the root directory of your game.
    Right click on this .exe file and from the drop-down menu, choose "create a shortcut"
    (you can place this shortcut anywhere you like).
    Then at he end of the command line put the ''-show_err''
    At the the the command line is like this :"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err
    Hit "apply" and there is your custom shortcut created for that line of code.

Try this and check. If the ''-show_err'' does not say anything your are almost O.K with your skins. If you still have the problem, we are two in this almost simillar situation.
    And something else. If you are using many gloss files of 256 KB size the game crashing soon or later because your video memory ''overloaded'' with not any information from the ''-show_err''.

Yes it seems we have the same problem, and i really don't know what it is!!
    I use the "-show_err" but it says nothing.
    I don't use very much gloss files and all the latest skins i put in the game were without gloss files.
    In my games the problem starts after many turns not from the beginning.
    At first like you i thought i had a problem with the seleucid because the problem started at the same time i started a war with them, and i was at war only with them.
    But in the other campaign the problem started with the romans that i was fighting for 20 years and from that point with all my enemies.
    The strangest thing is that when reloading after CTD, the battle works right each time.
    If it was a skin problem i don't understand that.
    I wonder what are all the known causes of a crash when loading battles?
    What else have you modified in your game?
    maybe we can find something we have in common as i have really no idea what might be the cause.

EDIT : I tried without the gloss files, i removed them all.
    Same problem happens as soon as the 2nd battle.
    So i guess that's not the problem.
    Last edited by Phoenicia; September 12, 2005 at 07:05 AM.

I have change many, many thinks. Warspite, Atg, webbird, Hades, Kalis skins.weirdshadys faction_banners 1. Skins from rtr mod and Spqr mod. Some skins that i created. Signifier animation mod, mm map, darth formations mod e.t.c.
    I don't know if you use the darth formations mod, but today i shall remove this mod to check if i have the same problem.
    But I want to tell you this. The linedog map was incompatible with webbirds skins for some reason.This cause ctd at the rebels turn. Maybe something like this happend here for some strange reason. It will be helpful, I think, to compare the mods whitch we use to see if we have any commons changes.

Edit: I have change the darth formations mod v.7.0 with the previous 6.6, 6.5 e.t.c up to the version who he released at February 2005. I think, but i am not sure, it was version 4.0. Anyway with this version I played two battles with egypt -the second after three others one by one- with not any problem. I really,really hope this to be the solution in the problem. To mine and yours and not something accidental.
    If you don't have this two txt tell me.
    Last edited by Ificratis; September 12, 2005 at 01:41 PM.

I also have changed many things.
    I use many different skins, i may not remember where they all come from but there is ferres, webbird, warspite, iberia total war, rtr.
    also CVP, MM1.2(only the map) and i modified a little the ressources,the ownership of starting provinces, and the mercenaries and rebel factions units.
    I never had any crash on the strategic map with MM.
    I also use darth formations since 5.3 version up to 7.0.
    I don't have use the 4.0.
    I'm surprised that it could be the problem because i use them for a long time without any problem, and in my games the problem starts after many turns in the campaign.But who knows!!!
    If you have that version i can try it and see what happens.
    Did you try playing with different factions since you have that problem?
    and did you have that problem from the beginning of the campaign or it is like me?

Anyone have any idea?
    I'm really lost and don't know which way to look at anymore.
    any idea might help me or even the already known causes of CTD during battles loading?

In this particular campaign I have this weird problem with egyptians and only with them. Anyway I played yesterday up to four battles with egypt with not any ctd.
    How i can add a zip(darth 4.0) here please? I don't see any option, attach zip or something.

Edit I am trying to upload the zip in the download section but the section ask loggin and deny any connection with my password.

I uploaded to the The Mod Workshop /skins/ (from mistake ,sorry again,)Notice of GLOSS Files and CTDs.
    Last edited by Ificratis; September 14, 2005 at 09:57 AM.

i don't know either!

EDIT : i never uploaded anything, so i don't know how it works.
    Last edited by Phoenicia; September 14, 2005 at 09:35 AM.

I replace darth formations 7.0 by 4.0 and reload the last saved game.
    And i still have the same problem!!
    It seems it is not the problem for me.

Cromagnon2's Avatar Senator

If the game dont show error after CTD, maybe it's a corrupt savegame, you should try and load an earlyer one.

Is there a way to check if a savegame is corrupt?

Since the change of the darth mod, i don't have any ctd like this. But it is a problem. And it should searched. Maybe if a save file is corrupted, you should have some problems. But this problems are generally and shows that something change from your last save. Nothing so weird like this. Try to restore from your backup the original formations txt.
    And something else. Are you using any skins from SPQR 4.0? Lt 1956 say that his mod is incompatible with darth formations and some others mod.
    I am using some skins for egypt (here we are) from SPQR 3.0. But I removed all of the modificated skins from egypt and with vanilla skins and the problem still existed. You erased the map.rwm file? Some times helps.

I tried with different darth formations including 4.0 but i still have the problem.
    I'm not using skins from SPQR 4.0, but probably a few from SPQR 3.0.
    In fact the last skins i introduced in the game before i started having this problem are the ones from RTR 6.0.
    but i haven't seen any thread related to RTR 6.0 skin problem.

On the other thread "if -show_err shows nothing" Archer told me it might be related to the world folders.

Do you think your problem was between SPQR skins and Darth formations?

As i told to the last post I removed all of the modificated skins from egypt and with vanilla skins and the problem still existed. So i am thinking that the problem was not there. I use some skins from rtr 6.0 to. It appears that we have made similar changes.
    In the other topic i read that you start two others campaign with not any problem. This still happens?

No just on 1 of the 2 campaigns i have no problem for now.
    On the other one the problem appeared.

Yes it seems we have made similar changes, but just one little thing different can be the problem i guess.
    I remember you said you use MM, which version do you use?
    And have you modified files from the world folder?

i use the mm 1.2 like you. But i have not changed anything in the world folder except form some hidden resources, and some mercenary pools and mercenary units.

I don't know.
    It seems in fact that we have a different problem.
    If it is a world folder related mistake, i just don't see what might be wrong as the campaign is working.
    I keep looking at those files but don't really know what kind of mistake to look for.
    i'm afraid as Archer said i will have to put back the original MM files and start another campaign and see if the problem still happens.

Cromagnon2's Avatar Senator

Hi Phoenicia,

Have you made any changes to your generals, like adding late or earlier ones.
    If so you may have to start a new campaign for it to work.
    Cause some changes the current campaign cant recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by Cromagnon2
    Hi Phoenicia,

Have you made any changes to your generals, like adding late or earlier ones.
    If so you may have to start a new campaign for it to work.
    Cause some changes the current campaign cant recognize.
    Hello
    What do you mean by generals?

I think i read somewhere a while ago, that changes in the data folders works with the savegames, and changes in the world folders don't, is it right?
    Because as my problem happens many years after the beginning of the campaign, using savegame would save me a lot of time!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast