Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: First impression

Default Re: First impression

it is really fun I hope the translation makes quick progress^^
    now I'm trying to get the cinematic editor to work, but there is a problem which i could not solve yet.
    Dinge passieren einfach und damit hat's sich
    -------------------------------------------
    All my Third Age screenshots

Werebear's Avatar For Mother Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Blackomur89 View Post
    It's beautiful, I finaly downloaded it and it's beautiful!
    2. Would you mind if I made new portraits, unit info cards and event cards once I finish with the banners?
    I think we have portraits and unit info cards....

Quote Originally Posted by loet66 View Post
    Hi,

Very nice surprise !

+ rep !!
    it is not surprise =) i told about release mouth ago =)

Arch-hereticK's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by isilendil View Post
    it is not surprise =) i told about release mouth ago =)
    The exact same thing was said last year. I for one didn't have my hopes up too high. good job.

Blackomur89's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by isilendil View Post
    I think we have portraits and unit info cards....
    I know you do but with all respect I would like to try and make better ones.

And a lot of info cards are missing.
    2D artist for Call of Warhammer TW; 2D artist for Westeros TW; 2D artist and researcher for The Ruins of Arnor TATW sub-mod; 2D artist for Warcraft TW.

PSIHOPAT's Avatar Senator

About info cards : i love black and white stile

good choice

Guidrion's Avatar Miles

The empire states could use a regionalisation of their info cards but it's a very low priority since they don't have any special capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by PSIHOPAT View Post
    About info cards : i love black and white stile

good choice
    we all thinks so

that is good, you can for missing ones for start
    Last edited by Werebear; December 26, 2009 at 03:11 AM.

randir14's Avatar Ordinarius

Well there's a sub mod section so you could remake all of them if you wanted to, just in case they don't get incorporated into the official version.

Man, im pretty drunk rigt now but im so exitd bout this iam so gonna platy this in the morning even if it's in russian! its just so epic....

AWESOME!!!!

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

excellent models, just puzzled by the diverse formation arrangements. Some are in deep blocks while other are in thin two line at deployment phase. Some melee units appear passive while being fired on by missile units. Not sure if that is the Battle Army AI or the unit class AI.

Once I got the downloads in the right folders it seems to work right. Also used hotfix and did a quick test to turn 5 without a crash on the campaign.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

King Siegfried's Avatar Semisalis

The unit cards are cluttered. It is, in my opinion, more difficult to see which unit you have selected than it should be. The shields are a bad idea, since the unit is blocking most of it anyway. On the few unit cards I have seen where said shields are absent, the unit is pretty good. I believe it would be best for all the unit cards to be like the Lothern Archers.

Unit info pictures are cool with the black and white, but not all of the units have these images. The Phoenix Guard, for example, doesn't have one. In addition, I noticed that some units have vertical info pictures, and some have horizontal info pictures. The presentation of the mod would be improved if you chose either the vertical format or the horizontal one and stuck to it. Especially within a faction. Having High Elf Spearmen with a vertical picture, Silver Helms with a horizontal picture, and Phoenix Guard without one altogether hurts the presentation quite a bit.

Now, since I only got a chance to give the High Elves a good look (so far), I will continue to comment using the High Elves as an example. The models look fantastic, but some of the textures don't hold up. With the High Elvish cavalry, the textures on the cloth and shields look very blank. They don't feel very natural. Especially the white cloth on the horse barding and the shields. The shields would be improved by introducing a good wooden texture on the normal map. You could introduce metal banding on the shield where the thick blue outline is overlayed, too. That should look pretty good. Oh, and personally, I think the Silver Helms look a little silly with half their helms painted that bright gold color. For one, it looks a little bit like it was Photoshop'ed at the last minute, and two, it clashes with the very name of the unit. Regarding the High Elvish Spearmen, I again want to point out that the multiple shields hurt the look of the unit. I'd pick one shield design and stick with it. The Lothern Sea Guard look fantastic because of the uniform shields, and I think the Spearmen should receive the same love. And the shields on the Spearmen also sometimes look a little too simple. I think they could be improved, again, by introducing the wood textures with metal banding on the normal map.

The shields on the Lothern Sea Guard pikemen look off because of the pike animations. When holding their pikes upward, they hold the pike backhanded, so the shield points straight upward. That looks silly. The shields texture, however, looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Champion View Post
    excellent models, just puzzled by the diverse formation arrangements. Some are in deep blocks while other are in thin two line at deployment phase.
    I agree that this is odd. I think each faction should have a standard formation size and stick with it.

One more thing. The High Elves are still using England's banners.

tl:dr? The mod is fantastic so far. It just needs some polishing and finishing touches.
    Last edited by King Siegfried; December 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM.

Creator of Kingdoms of Heaven

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

Empire pikes work much better with schiltrom. Shield wall is a failed carry over from BI. If you choose to not use spearwall with pikes than shield wall is not the best solution.

Which historically Flemish and Scottish pikemen in the middle ages used a shorter pike than what was later used by the swiss. They tended to also fight in schiltrom.

Schiltrom is good formation for empire pikemen as they are usually outnumbered and will get flanked. regular formation with guard mode is adequate if you want a frontal facing formation. Also of course you will need to work with spear_bonus and the mass of the unit to give it greater anti-cavalry ability in sans of a spearwall. Spear attribute is already in EDU.

Medieval 2 vanilla gave 1.2 unit spacing to infantry for a good reason. It is optimal for the game engine. Too close and units will not get to use their weapons to the greatest advantage.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Quote Originally Posted by King Siegfried View Post
    The unit cards are cluttered. It is, in my opinion, more difficult to see which unit you have selected than it should be. The shields are a bad idea, since the unit is blocking most of it anyway. On the few unit cards I have seen where said shields are absent, the unit is pretty good. I believe it would be best for all the unit cards to be like the Lothern Archers.

Unit info pictures are cool with the black and white, but not all of the units have these images. The Phoenix Guard, for example, doesn't have one. In addition, I noticed that some units have vertical info pictures, and some have horizontal info pictures. The presentation of the mod would be improved if you chose either the vertical format or the horizontal one and stuck to it. Especially within a faction. Having High Elf Spearmen with a vertical picture, Silver Helms with a horizontal picture, and Phoenix Guard without one altogether hurts the presentation quite a bit.

Now, since I only got a chance to give the High Elves a good look (so far), I will continue to comment using the High Elves as an example. The models look fantastic, but some of the textures don't hold up. With the High Elvish cavalry, the textures on the cloth and shields look very blank. They don't feel very natural. Especially the white cloth on the horse barding and the shields. The shields would be improved by introducing a good wooden texture on the normal map. You could introduce metal banding on the shield where the thick blue outline is overlayed, too. That should look pretty good. Oh, and personally, I think the Silver Helms look a little silly with half their helms painted that bright gold color. For one, it looks a little bit like it was Photoshop'ed at the last minute, and two, it clashes with the very name of the unit. Regarding the High Elvish Spearmen, I again want to point out that the multiple shields hurt the look of the unit. I'd pick one shield design and stick with it. The Lothern Sea Guard look fantastic because of the uniform shields, and I think the Spearmen should receive the same love. And the shields on the Spearmen also sometimes look a little too simple. I think they could be improved, again, by introducing the wood textures with metal banding on the normal map.

The shields on the Lothern Sea Guard pikemen look off because of the pike animations. When holding their pikes upward, they hold the pike backhanded, so the shield points straight upward. That looks silly. The shields texture, however, looks great.

I agree that this is odd. I think each faction should have a standard formation size and stick with it.

One more thing. The High Elves are still using England's banners.

tl:dr? The mod is fantastic so far. It just needs some polishing and finishing touches.
    1. we just didn't find all needed GOOD pictures horizontal format
    2. Elven faction will be fully remaked http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...11#post6486811

Mr. Sorrow's Avatar Ordinarius

First of all- mod is playable and very, very good. The thing is that i lacks in presentation-faction descriptions mixed with vanilla pictures do no good, but nothing heartbreaking. Pikemen are unfortunately using shield wall. Gentlemen, if it is in the realm of possibility, give poor buggers schiltrom or spear wall. Another detail...I do not have decription on buttons in the menu. Is it just me or is it caused by the fact that my english Medieval cannot use russian alphabet? But despite technicities I have a very good Warhammer feeling and it is not just the fact that armies of Empire are "weak" in a good way.

I do think that better cards are needed,its a bit hard to see the numbers
    I am new at this forum and i will like to also thanks the modders for this great release

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sorrow View Post
    Pikemen are unfortunately using shield wall. Gentlemen, if it is in the realm of possibility, give poor buggers schiltrom or spear wall.
    I support that, but islendil against. Press harder on him.
    CoW (Rage of the Dark Gods)team
    From Russia with love.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sorrow View Post
    First of all- mod is playable and very, very good. The thing is that i lacks in presentation-faction descriptions mixed with vanilla pictures do no good, but nothing heartbreaking. Pikemen are unfortunately using shield wall. Gentlemen, if it is in the realm of possibility, give poor buggers schiltrom or spear wall. Another detail...I do not have decription on buttons in the menu. Is it just me or is it caused by the fact that my english Medieval cannot use russian alphabet? But despite technicities I have a very good Warhammer feeling and it is not just the fact that armies of Empire are "weak" in a good way.
    this formation for pike, not spears

Mr. Sorrow's Avatar Ordinarius

Exactly...